ASUS Extreme Striker problems

I have just built my computer from scratch and in the final stage of completion i finally hit the power button -

only to have the LED lights respond but nothing else respond. The only thing that I can see is that the screws i used mahy have not been the right ones and as a result the mobo was touching the case (thermaltake soprano) - i think this may have shorted the motherboard - but that still poses the question - why are the LED lights on the striker still responding?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Weirdly enough, the Striker is not meant to run with the leds on. Turn them off with the button on the back and try again.

Asus says that later bios...maybe like 0701 on....have it corrected so that you can run the leds when the comp is actually running, doesn't work that way on mine, however.

If you switch the LEDs off then press the power button, it should start straight away.

Texxxx - once you have a newer BIOS, you gotta turn the LED to "always on" in the BIOS. It won't just work automatically for you..

Ok - where exactly is the LED off switch and also - does this mean that the motherboard may not have shorted- i have fixed the problem of it touching the case now but have not tried to turn off the LED's yet

Tyson-It' a big square button on the I/O panel in back that says 'LED SW'. Out is off. It's right above the 1394 connector.

Thx, worthIT!

Not neccessarily, but turn them off and try again. It's possible that may be all that is keeping your board from posting.

IIRC the blue leds on the Striker were originally "servicelights" and you couldn't turn the computer on while these lights were on, apparently that has changed with the new BIOS, still you should be fine, just kill the lights and fire up.

IIRC the blue leds on the Striker were originally "servicelights" and you couldn't turn the computer on while these lights were on, apparently that has changed with the new BIOS, still you should be fine, just kill the lights and fire up.

If you use the button on the IO panel to turn them off and on, that is how they will behave. You can also set them to always be on in BIOS if you so desire. This has been the case since the original review I conducted on the Striker Extreme.

I did it - and it worked fine until the LCD came up with a CMOS error - so yeh i think its gonna have to be a new motherboard

If you turn on the lights on the back using the light-bulb button, you CANNOT power up your board.

That button is used to light up the inside of the case so you can work on it.

I wouldn't rush RMA'ing your board just yet, sometimes a CMOS error occurs when you do some hardware changes, and after you set things up properly in the BIOS, things should be all good and gravy.

If you use the button on the IO panel to turn them off and on, that is how they will behave. You can also set them to always be on in BIOS if you so desire. This has been the case since the original review I conducted on the Striker Extreme.
I thought that even though this option existed in the BIOS, it didn't work properly until they fixed it using a change in one of the later BIOSs...?

after i did that - it turned on for a while - giving me a CMOS error - the striker LCD reads CPU INIT - so what i think im gonna do is get another dual core in there (im using the qx6700) and update the bios and then plug the quad back in - sound good?

By the way Worthit - i have the exact same specs as you do just for note.

hey there. I am haveing the exact same problem with my striker extreme. will not get off cpu init on post screen the lights come on when they are turned on just fine. Let me know if you got this to work or if you had to rma that motherboard back. If anyone else has had this problem and no what the problem is please let me know. I'm pulling my hair out. Thanks

There are a few different reasons the Striker could be stuck on the CPU INIT screen. It happened to me when I didn't have enough voltage set for my CPU. It also happened when I didn't have enough voltage set for my RAM..

What are your machine specs and what specs do you have in the BIOS? (If you've even seen the BIOS screen at all)...

computer specs are.

asus striker extreme motherboard
qx6700 processor
2 gigs of corsair pc 8500 corsair dominator 1066 ram
enermax galaxy 1000 watt power supply
2 bfg geforce 8800 gtx liquid cooled video cards
2 seagate baracuda 320 gig hard drives

the processor and vid cards are all set up for liquid cooling. also have the Thermaltake Kandalf lcd case.

I hope this is enough info. Let me know if you know what it might be and how to fix it. thanks

oh yeah one more thing. on bootup it does nothing so I have not seen the bios screen. Hopefully we can figure this out so we can get to the bios screen. :)

The LEDs have two modes. When switched on manually, they are supposed to act as lights that allow you to perform maintenence on the system in say a LAN party type setting. (That's what ASUS says anyway.)

The LEDs can be set in the BIOS from at least BIOS 0505 to be always on. If the switch is pressed on the back, the system will not power on. Even with this setting in place.

The LEDs are not the issue since it won't start with them on or with them off. have tried everything. I will probably rma the board back and see if a new one does the same thing.

I wouldn't RMA the baord just yet. There are lots of small tricks you can pull with this board to make it work the way you want it to, but it is fussy.

If you haven't tried it already, I would try and boot the board with RAM that doesn't require as much voltage. From memory those sticks are rated at 2.2V while the board will give your RAM 1.8V when you first boot it up. This isn't enough and your board won't boot. You should try booting with different RAM; changing the VDIMM in your BIOS then shut down; and boot with your Dominator sticks in place instead of the cheaper RAM. I had the same problem myself with my Dominator sticks.

You might also consider flashing to BIOS 1004 at this point if you get to boot your board with different RAM. This BIOS and 1002 are supposed to solve a lot of problems that people have been having.

Good luck...

Did you pull out the battery for half a day ? put it back in , reset bios and then tried to boot .... ?

yes I have tried pulling the battery for half a day. Also the computer will not even start now. the only way I know it's getting power is from the led's being lit up when I turn them on. the fans and everything else will not start though. It orignially started for a minute or 2 then would shut itself off. now it won't do that. all that it shows is the cpu init on the post screen but it is not starting. the power supply just sits in standby mode. any ideas on this?

Personally from my experience with this board - every time the boot process has been stuck on CPU INIT, it has been a RAM problem. I know I've said it before, but have you tried booting with different RAM?

Hi fellas, long time reader first time poster here.

I have just built my first pc in 4 years with a very similar setup as the original post. My memory's a little slower at 6400 but it's quite the same:

E6600
Striker Extreme (bios 1004)
2 Gigs 6400 OCZ 4-4-4-4-15
2x WD Raptor 150 in RAID 0
2x WD Caviar 500 in RAID 1
Nvidia GeForce 6600 (temporary)

In regards to the original post, I would just restart my build from scratch. Just take everything apart, put it back together slowly and methodically, I know this isn''t much in terms of help but that's my 0.02$ anyway. (BTW I'm replying here so we don't have to start another Striker thread) Good luck and I really hope you don't have to RMA your board.

It seems that I have gotten farther than the original poster myself but cannot install any OS on my machine unfortunately. I get the BSOD in any install (Vista, xp x86, xp x64) either near the very beginning or the very end of the setup. I am using the latest RAID F6 drivers from Nvidia (64 bit for x64, 32 bit for x86).

I know that the 680i platform was plagued with data corruption back in December/January and I assumed that these problems were fixed now but it seems not to be. I have tried both sticks of RAM by themselves, removing all my RAID arrays and trying to install just on a normal SATA drive but nothing will do. I also read through almost the entire original thread about the 680i problems in hopes of finding a cure but nothing so far. The error I get while installing xp x64 occurs right after the setup says "Windows is now starting", I get the following BSOD everytime:

"STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll"

I am currently using the 1004 bios from Asus but I am not sure anymore if it's a beta bios or whatnot. If anyone has any ideas, I don't care how crazy, please let me know.

EDIT:
yes I have tried pulling the battery for half a day. Also the computer will not even start now. the only way I know it's getting power is from the led's being lit up when I turn them on. the fans and everything else will not start though. It orignially started for a minute or 2 then would shut itself off. now it won't do that. all that it shows is the cpu init on the post screen but it is not starting. the power supply just sits in standby mode. any ideas on this?
Forgot to reply to this part. I would say your heatsink is not saddled properly, once again nothing groundbreaking but there it is...

Can you fill in following template ? have you memtested each dimm seperately ?

AI Tuning: Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex: Disabled
LinkBoost: Disabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
x FSB - Memory Raio: N/A
FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1066 (means 266FSB)
Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1066.7
MEM (DDR), Mhz: 800 (means 400mhz speeds)
Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz: 800
Vcore Voltage:1.375
Memory Voltage:2.0
1.2v HT Voltage:1.3
NB Core Voltage:1.3
SB Core Voltage:1.5
CPU VTT Voltage:1.35
DDRII Controller Ref Voltage:auto
DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage:auto
DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage:auto

tCL (CAS Latency): 4
tRCD: 4
tRP: 4
tRAS: 15
Command Per Clock (CMD): 2 clock (2T)

Advance Memory Settings
tRRD: AUTO
tRC: AUTO
tWR: AUTO
tWTR: AUTO
tREF: AUTO
tRD: AUTO
tRFC: AUTO
Async Latency: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled
LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E): Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Virtualization Technology: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Disabled
LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 100
SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: 200

Can you fill in following template ? have you memtested each dimm seperately ?

AI Tuning: Auto
Nvidia GPU Ex: Disabled
LinkBoost: Enabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
x FSB - Memory Raio: N/A
FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1066 (means 266FSB)
Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1066.7
MEM (DDR), Mhz: 800 (means 400mhz speeds)
Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz: 800
Vcore Voltage:1.29
Memory Voltage:1.88
1.2v HT Voltage:1.26
NB Core Voltage:1.24
SB Core Voltage:1.53
CPU VTT Voltage:1.26
DDRII Controller Ref Voltage:auto
DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage:auto
DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage:auto

tCL (CAS Latency): 4
tRCD: 4
tRP: 4
tRAS: 15
Command Per Clock (CMD): 2 clock (2T)

Advance Memory Settings
tRRD: AUTO
tRC: AUTO
tWR: AUTO
tWTR: AUTO
tREF: AUTO
tRD: AUTO
tRFC: AUTO
Async Latency: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Auto
MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Auto
SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled
LDT Spread Spectrum: Auto

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E): Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Virtualization Technology: Enabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Disabled
LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 100
SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: 200
I haven't modified any of my BIOS settings, these are all stock. Yes, I have tested each DIMM separately.

However I have good news: I have finally been able to install an os: Vista x64 on a single Raptor. I disconnected every hd I have except for the one lonely raptor. This is a good beginning but unacceptable. I need xp x64 running on my raptors in RAID 0.

EDIT: Very strange, vista cannot boot without having the Vista DVD in my DVD drive.

I thought that even though this option existed in the BIOS, it didn't work properly until they fixed it using a change in one of the later BIOSs...?

It worked for me using BIOS 0403 when I did the original review for the [H].

I haven't modified any of my BIOS settings, these are all stock. Yes, I have tested each DIMM separately.

However I have good news: I have finally been able to install an os: Vista x64 on a single Raptor. I disconnected every hd I have except for the one lonely raptor. This is a good beginning but unacceptable. I need xp x64 running on my raptors in RAID 0.

EDIT: Very strange, vista cannot boot without having the Vista DVD in my DVD drive.

I too prefer RAID-0, but don't think that you are getting some kind of awesome performance out of the system by running it. Real world bennefits of going RAID-0 off of the onboard controller and next to non-existant.

Anyway, back on topic, what chipset driver are you using when you try to setup the RAID? Have you tried running Vista 32bit? I have heard many horror stories about the x64 version and if you bought retail Vista Ultimate you should have both versions in the box.

I am using the latest driver from Nvidia (which is the same as what comes with the striker dvd).

I've finally been able to install vista x64 on my RAID-0 array. However I wish I could install xp as some of my dev tools don't run too well on vista. It still doesn't boot without the vista dvdin the drive but I'll take it for now.

EDIT: Oh my God that's the funniest thing. I was bitching that Windows wasn't booting without the vista dvd in the drive but that was because I had removed everything but my cdrom from the boot order in the bios. Oups. Works just fine now.

I am using the latest driver from Nvidia (which is the same as what comes with the striker dvd).

I've finally been able to install vista x64 on my RAID-0 array. However I wish I could install xp as some of my dev tools don't run too well on vista. It still doesn't boot without the vista dvdin the drive but I'll take it for now.

EDIT: Oh my God that's the funniest thing. I was bitching that Windows wasn't booting without the vista dvd in the drive but that was because I had removed everything but my cdrom from the boot order in the bios. Oups. Works just fine now.

Nice. :cool:

Hi!My name is Michaqel.I have many questions,but I hope you will answer some at least :)
I have the new PC.Here are my specs:
Mainboard :Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard Bios ver. 1102
Processor: Intel QX6700 Extreme Edition CPU
Memory: 4 x 1GB (2 x 2024MB Kit) Corsair Dominator PC-8888C4DF DDR2 RAM
Video: Asus 2 x GeForce 8800GTXs (SLI)
Monitor Samsun SyncMaster 1100MB
850 W power suply Be quiet Dark Power
Sound Card: Creative Sound Card X-Fi Fatality
Almost the same has you :)
I want to know how did you set bios settings to reach maximum perfomance,because I don't understand how to overclock the system at all.I have bought high-end system,but that system works as my old one LOL
By the way,BIOS has detected 4 Gb of RAM,but windows detects only 2.5Gb.Dunno what to do.Will you help me?What is stepping,latency and so all.I don't know how to tune memory,video card and mainboard with CPU at all.Need some help.Hope you know something unless you have almost the same PC.
I will look forward to hear from you!
Mike from Latvia :)

Back