Asus Extreme formula build. check

a1212

n00b
Ok, so it was time for me to put up a new system, with this new motherboard as the base. Just need to check if the synergy is there :cool:, or if some parts need to be changed etcetc.

what I picked;
-------------
Asus Maximums Formula
Q6600 + Thermalright Ultima-90
OCZ Reaper 2x2gb pc6400 (4-4-4-15)
Corsair 620w
xfx 8800GT
-------------

its mostly the ram and cpu cooler which am having doubts about..

Be careful there. The Maximus Formula Extreme is a DDR3 board, while the Maximus Formula or Formula SE (which has the fusion NB waterblock) is DDR2. Just make sure you order the correct ram for your board. I just built up my Formula SE last night with the following specs:

Core 2 Quad Q6700 w/ Swiftech Apogee GTX block
4X1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2
2X Raptor 150gb in RAID 0
XFX 8800 GTX w/ Danger Den block
LiteOn Sata Lightscribe DVD
Swiftech MCP350 pump w/ Petra top
Swiftech Micro Res
Swiftech MCR320 radiator
1/2"ID Tygon 3603 tubing
Lian Li PC1000B case

The board is great so far - this was a migration from my 3rd dead EVGA 680SLI board in 3 months after swapping out a Core 2 E6600 with my Q6700. I got sick of the RMA process and tearing apart my cooling loop to swap boards every few weeks. Everything is at stock right now, but expect that to change.

Be careful there. The Maximus Formula Extreme is a DDR3 board, while the Maximus Formula or Formula SE (which has the fusion NB waterblock) is DDR2. Just make sure you order the correct ram for your board. I just built up my Formula SE last night with the following specs:

Swiftech Micro Res
Swiftech MCR320 radiator
1/2"ID Tygon 3603 tubing
Lian Li PC1000B case

The board is great so far - this was a migration from my 3rd dead EVGA 680SLI board in 3 months after swapping out a Core 2 E6600 with my Q6700. I got sick of the RMA process and tearing apart my cooling loop to swap boards every few weeks. Everything is at stock right now, but expect that to change.

Show me some pics of that as my setup is very similar to yours, I want to see how you setup your watercooling.

Any problems with the 4x1gb Memery on that board? I heard there was problems on some boards SLI and such that the mem controller sucked for it. Cause there isn't really any good 2x2gb higher than 6400. :mad:

So far, no problems at all with all 4 memory slots populated, but I'm just running everything at stock so far. I haven't had time since I built it to OC anything.

There "have been" issues with this board and 4 dimm socket populated, plenty people have it working fine but, plenty have had major issues...check out the formula thread here
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160945
and
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/reviews/124-asus-maximus-formula-se-x38-living-review.html
for more info on the board.

This is the ram I used in my Formula SE build and it rocks...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145
On that board you can run a 1:1 ratio so why use 800mhz ram when you can go higher...either grab 4x1gb ddr2-1066 and hope for the best or grab the fastest 2x2gb ddr2 and don't worry about it.

could some of u guys check the space around the cpu socket. I took the OCZ reaper memories and those have huge heatpreaders, and the heatsink i took is pretty wide so my concern is that will it reach the dimm slots. thermalright ultima-90.

Swiftech Micro Res
Swiftech MCR320 radiator
1/2"ID Tygon 3603 tubing
Lian Li PC1000B case

Actually the board is called the Maximus Formula, Formula SE or Maximus Extreme depending on the model.

Ok, so it was time for me to put up a new system, with this new motherboard as the base. Just need to check if the synergy is there :cool:, or if some parts need to be changed etcetc.

what I picked;
-------------
Asus Maximums Formula
Q6600 + Thermalright Ultima-90
OCZ Reaper 2x2gb pc6400 (4-4-4-15)
Corsair 620w
xfx 8800GT
-------------

its mostly the ram and cpu cooler which am having doubts about..

The board is actually called the Maximus Formula which I mentioned earlier. It also appeared that the boards at Fry's last night had the fusion block even though they weren't marked SE. There was also an SE board there but I couldn't find a difference between the two. As for the CPU cooler, I usually recommend the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. I don't keep up on air coolers that much so I don't know if there is something better or not. The RAM is a good choice, but there are other options you may wish to consider. The Patriot 2GB modules are excellent and cheaper. I wouldn't discount some other brangs as well. I'm also starting to see 2GB PC8000 modules so those are worth checking out if you'll be overclocking.

ah yea I know, I just put the wrong name for this thread heh, my bad.
it is the ddr2 version Iam getting, as said my only concern is that the heatsink will reach the dimm slots.

and I went with 2 HD3870 just for the heck of it :) lets hope the psu doesnt falter under pressure (with cpu oc:ed).

why would one buy a q6700 ?

money wasted...

Well, seeing as I got mine from a [H]ot Deal posted in the forums back in July for $350.42 from CostCentral.com, I don't feel it was money wasted, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion... It took forever to ship, but it came through at that price plus shipping.

This is the only board so far that let me unleach my memories full potential, however 1:1 Mem setting supposed to be bad for this board, but for me that is nothing i am limited by.

My previous Gigacrap X38 hated me for using 4 dimms and highperformacememory.

Well, seeing as I got mine from a [H]ot Deal posted in the forums back in July for $350.42 from CostCentral.com, I don't feel it was money wasted, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion... It took forever to ship, but it came through at that price plus shipping.

Excellent. The Q6700 is a damn good processor and slightly better out of the box than the Q6600 but for most people the price difference wasn't worth while. So they opted for the Q6600 instead.

Back