ASUS, EVGA, PNY, Et Al. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Leaks

Did any of you read the articles? 1000 was a placeholder. Looking like 899 for msrp on kind if a monster of a gpu. And to add much less for the non ti that should be a beast as well. I've said it before, nvidia and Intel have gotten fat and rich but dont want the incoming competition so are likely to put out some "big guns"

Did any of you read the article? 1000 was a placeholder. Looking like 899 for msrp on kind if a monster of a gpu.
Oh that makes it so much more affordable. How much was that 980 Ti when you bought it with that 5820K? .. bet it wasn't $900 dollars

Edit: Their stock was at $22 when the 980 Ti came out and MSRP was $650. The stock price is now $245 and 2080Ti costing $800+ is just bending you over and over and over.

Last edited:
Oh that makes it so much more affordable. How much was that 980 Ti when you bought it with that 5820K? .. bet it wasn't $900 fucking dollars

2080Ti is a really serious die, it is almost as big as GV100 and that's a $3K+ part. The focus this generation seems to be pushing RTX + Tensor cores into the mainstream, presumably as an attempt to further entrench Nvidia's position as a market leader (PhysX and Hairworks were both flops, but Nvidia is in a better position than to create a proprietary ecosystem given AMD's uncompetitiveness, and RTX is a lot more interesting than Hairworks...)

The way I see it, 2080 will replace the 1080Ti price and performance wise, but will add RTX to the mix, 2080Ti will sit in its own odd bracket above it, and like the original Titan, Titan V will be the "incredibly expensive for its time card with double precision support". Everything below 2080 (maybe 2070?) will probably lack RTX - most people would probably have a 2060 with 1070 performance over a 1060 with some raytracing cores tacked on.

its looking like the the 2070,2080, and 2080ti will have ray tracing the 2060 on down will not

There's an entire news topic about it.

It does show some more info. Looks like it will be 448 gb/s bandwidth.

Some here are shocked by the $1000 price tag of the TI. This is pretty standard since this is sort of the Titan at launch.

I am more shocked at the $800 price tag of the 2080. From what we can speculate, it will be slower that the 1080ti.

Around 15% slower, my best guess.

You know, for my kid's rig, who'll be at 1080p 60hz and never moving to VR, I'm most excited now about the 1050 and 1060 prospects. Not only those, but what they can potentially do to the existing 1050ti and 1060 6gb models. He's currently on an older AMD 7850.

It does show some more info. Looks like it will be 448 gb/s bandwidth.

Some here are shocked by the $1000 price tag of the TI. This is pretty standard since this is sort of the Titan at launch.

I am more shocked at the $800 price tag of the 2080. From what we can speculate, it will be slower that the 1080ti.

Around 15% slower, my best guess.

I wouldn't put too much faith in pre-announce prices like this. The price people found on PNY's site does not conform to Nvidia's pricing standards. Cards are always x99 or x49 instead of x00 or x50. The Ti could be $999, but until it is announced I'd take stuff like this with a grain of salt.

I wonder how much an NVLink SLI bridge will cost. I bet it will be anywhere between $99 to $199. Nice profit margins for NVIDIA :ROFLMAO:

[Edit]

Some more nuggets of wisdom and expert armchair opinions:

• The RTX 2080 will launch at $699 and the RTX 2080 Ti at $899 or $999.
  • The reason why NVIDIA introduced the RTX brand is that they want to differentiate their new GPUs from Pascal. Due to an oversupply of Pascal GPUs, NVIDIA will rebrand existing 1080 Ti, 1080 and whatever else they have left over as GTX 20xx. Basically, GTX cards will not have Tensor cores and hardware ray-tracing support.
  • These new Turing GPUs won't be night and day faster than the current Pascal cards unless games take advantage of the ray-tracing hardware and Tensor cores for AI (or at least of the ray-tracing hardware).
  • We will see such rebranded oddities as the GTX 2075 and GTX 2085 (former GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 Ti), or GTX 2080 and GTX 2080 Ti, or GTX 2070 and GTX 2075 Ti, or any combination you can think of, depending on where the Pascal GPUs fall performance wise compared to the Turing GPUs in current games and benchmarks.
What's your take on this?

Last edited:
I wonder how much an NVLink SLI bridge will cost. I bet it will be anywhere between $99 to $199. Nice profit margins for NVIDIA :ROFLMAO:

im betting 50 to 100 bucks but i mean if your buying 2x 900 buck cards whats another 100?

Reactions: STEM
like this
As I posted in the PNY thread, I find it interesting that the Ti card could be launched concurrently with the 2080 lineup instead of 6 to 12 months later. If this is true I'd find it a benefit ; Kyle mentioned it would be a good way for them to launch with the highest end cards of the 2080 and 2080 Ti so they can sell out the 10-series they have remaining before the 2070 et al arrive. If they do so, I just want to make sure that they don't come down the line in a year or less and say "oh by the way we're launching the real Ti++ card"; if they launch the Ti now, I hope its the biggest and baddest "full" version of the GPU as it has been in the past.

That said I'm a bit concerned of two things. First, that they're sticking with 11gb on the Ti card. Assuming the reason to buy the 2080 and 2080 Ti is 4K gaming at high settings and 60+ FPS, I thought they'd want to increase the VRAM to at least 12GB and ideally 16GB, especially if eliminating the "Titan" cards or repricing them into Titan V "$3000 not $1000" ranges. Secondly, I see discussion about the Turing platform and design, focus on raytracing etc. I am curious to what extent this will mean for both game development and crypto. Will it mean Nvidia encouraging a specific, proprietary development API or something similar that would take advantage of how these cards are setup, meaning both AMD and to some extent older Nvidia cards will have significantly lesser performance? I've never been happy with Nvidia pushing proprietary standards and platforms, so if this is going to be another potential divide that would be unfortunate. Next, I saw a couple of post suggesting that Turing's layout could make it 'bad" for most tasks associated with crypto mining. Does everyone agree this is the case and if so if that means Nvidia is going to push cards that are the "inverse" of these that are crypto-specific?

In any event, a potential $899 or $999 price for the Ti level card would be a bit of an escalation from MSRP last generation. Unless there's just a drastic change in the card's power/cooling etc... beyond what one expects of another iteration forward, it would be nice to sell cards sell for $700-ish, adding +25 - 100 depending on OEM board upgrades, cooling, and whatnot. I suppose we'll see in the end what arrives and I am tempted to pick up the 2080 Ti if everything pans out.

However, I really really would prefer to support AMD. I can only hope they'll have something in the pipe to at least offer reasonable competition for the 2080 and 2080 Ti. They've done so well in the CPU department as well as excellent in terms of using open APIs and supporting Linux (with totally redesigned drivers that are about 80% open source, with the other 20% as as sort of "plug in" that those who need top of the line 3D acceleration can enable) on the GPU side, so I wish to vote with my wallet in support of them. I think many others do as well but it is only their lack of serious competition on the highest end of the GPU market that has kept them behind, with the crypto-mining boom really upending the whole situation across the market sections AMD competed favorably in the 1080 and below area. Lets hope that they really start pushing the GPU division; they don't; have to top the price or performance charts, but if they can get within 10-20% of the top of the line yet come in much cheaper, they'd have a competitive answer to the 2080/2080 Ti

As I posted in the PNY thread, I find it interesting that the Ti card could be launched concurrently with the 2080 lineup instead of 6 to 12 months later. If this is true I'd find it a benefit ; Kyle mentioned it would be a good way for them to launch with the highest end cards of the 2080 and 2080 Ti so they can sell out the 10-series they have remaining before the 2070 et al arrive. If they do so, I just want to make sure that they don't come down the line in a year or less and say "oh by the way we're launching the real Ti++ card"; if they launch the Ti now, I hope its the biggest and baddest "full" version of the GPU as it has been in the past.

If they do the Ti now maybe it means they will be holding off on launching the Titan version. Get the Ti out there at $800-$900, or whatever, now and next year put out a RTX Titan for $1500-$2000 as the top performer.

If they do the Ti now maybe it means they will be holding off on launching the Titan version. Get the Ti out there at $800-$900, or whatever, now and next year put out a RTX Titan for $1500-$2000 as the top performer.

yea, because less and less people are PC gaming these days especially after the mining craze rip-off GPU pricing for the last 2 years and super boring game releases the past year and DDR4 prices so high the Law had to step in to curb it and now eBay is flooded with mining cards few if any gamer's want to buy so yea ...

Happy gaming (y)

Last edited:

Yes, because everyone is eager to throw their hard earned cash at NVIDIA as soon as they launch a new product and name their price :ROFLMAO::facepalm::stop:

Most people don't think like this, they want something that's good enough for their needs. Most people also don't put their computer on a pedestal. And most people, frankly, are tired of being ripped off by the memory manufacturers, Intel and NVIDIA.

With every release, they push prices higher and higher. I have given Intel and NVIDIA enough of my hard earned money for the past decade, and I don't know about you guys, but I'm about done being fisted by these two companies. AMD has good enough CPUs for every budget now, covering the low end, mid-range, and high end. Most of my displays are 60Hz, and I got a pair of 100Hz Widescreen Acer displays that support FreeSync (they're 75Hz but can overclock to 100Hz). The only reason why I didn't buy any Vega 64 GPUs was that the price to performance ratio is kind of stupid, but hopefully, this gets fixed with 7nm Vega. As for my CPUs, I have a couple of 1950X CPUs and I'm actually drooling over a 2990WX for a VM related project, but I'll hold off for now.

I would really like to support AMD, and for my needs, a mid-range performer like the Vega 64 is good enough as long as the price is right. Sadly as it is, you can get a GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition for about $400 to $450 brand new if you really try.

The moral of the story is this: don't pre-order, and don't buy on launch day. NVIDIA held back GPU sales during this year and 2017 not just because of mining, but to keep prices high. Now they're stuck with that inventory, however, to make their shareholders happy they have to release a new product. My feeling is that they've sat on this release at least since March, if not a bit earlier. That explains why Turing is a 12nm part. My gut tells me that Turing on 12nm will have a very short life, as NVIDIA will move to 7nm as soon as they can (it makes financial sense).

Still, they deserve a kick in the nuts because at the end of the day their business still depends on the loyalty of gamers and enthusiasts alike. And please don't tell me that they had no control over their GPU supply during the mining craze. Selling GPUs on pallets by the truckload doesn't exactly happen without their blessing. They are as greedy as any other corporation.

fry.gif

You will expect someone who purchased a 1080 in late June to bang his fist against the wall after looking at the specs for the 2080. Well, not from me.

First, if the launches of the 980 and 1080 is any past indicator, once the card is launched, we're in for two-three months of "it's available, but not in stock". I should know.... when I built my UberBoxen in 2014, I ran a 460 card until the 980 was finally available in quantity in early November. And, that 980 lasted me for almost four years with the limiting factor for two of those four being the monitor at 60FPS. Now, I'm rocking at G-Sync monitor that does 144FPS (overclockable to 165, but I don't do that), and the 1080 certainly helps in that detail.

If I were running at 4K monitor instead of a 2K monitor, I would be more interested in a 2080 right now. But, I'm not. So, I'll wait at least a year and see what happens. Although I would be interested in seeing how the 2080 handles Hairworks better than the 1080.

I ran a 460 card until the 980 was finally available in quantity in early November. And, that 980 lasted me for almost four years

You're really not the kind of customer NVIDIA is looking for. But don't worry, they'll take your money too! :LOL:

They're looking for "enthusiasts" who buy them GPUs in pairs and then drop another $100 to $200 on a fancy NVLink bridge. That's how those $6000 computers are born.

Are we assuming Founder's Edition equivalent cards will be released first and then the AIBs will release the cards two weeks to a month after? Eyeing that EVGA RTX 2080 Ti...

Are we assuming Founder's Edition equivalent cards will be released first and then the AIBs will release the cards two weeks to a month after? Eyeing that EVGA RTX 2080 Ti...
I believe the AIB cards will be ready at launch.

oh. I forgot to mention ... about the 20 series launch being "still a long way off"
I dun know about any of you but I don't like to lie and don't like it when others lie to me.

So Nvidia can do their launch sometime this week but for me buying one of their 20 series caeds is still a long way off (maybe this time next year, we'll see)

Curious to see the price of a 1080ti vs a 2080 when it launches. Will the 1080ti drop to 500$ before it goes out of stock?

AMD is going to be hard pressed... to bring a competitive GPU to the table if this is true.

as long as they're still making a profit on the cpu side it'll give them enough time to develope something to compete against nvidia for 2019.. personally i'm hoping the delay is due to them scrapping everything vega related and starting new but we'll see.

AMD is going to be hard pressed... to bring a competitive GPU to the table if this is true.

Only good competitive reason I can see is that the Freesync monitors are cheaper and there is a wider selection verses G-Sync monitors.

[Edit]

Some more nuggets of wisdom and expert armchair opinions:

• The RTX 2080 will launch at $699 and the RTX 2080 Ti at $899 or $999.
  • The reason why NVIDIA introduced the RTX brand is that they want to differentiate their new GPUs from Pascal. Due to an oversupply of Pascal GPUs, NVIDIA will rebrand existing 1080 Ti, 1080 and whatever else they have left over as GTX 20xx. Basically, GTX cards will not have Tensor cores and hardware ray-tracing support.
  • These new Turing GPUs won't be night and day faster than the current Pascal cards unless games take advantage of the ray-tracing hardware and Tensor cores for AI (or at least of the ray-tracing hardware).
  • We will see such rebranded oddities as the GTX 2075 and GTX 2085 (former GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 Ti), or GTX 2080 and GTX 2080 Ti, or GTX 2070 and GTX 2075 Ti, or any combination you can think of, depending on where the Pascal GPUs fall performance wise compared to the Turing GPUs in current games and benchmarks.
What's your take on this?
  1. We haven't heard anything substantial about pricing yet save for a placeholder. I see no reason why they wouldn't keep to their "traditional" pricing structure, though the extra cores for ray tracing may increase the price which leads to #2.
  2. They want to differentiate alright, but not because of Pascal. NVIDIA have had surplus competing with themselves in the past and they have never done anything like this before. I think that they spent a lot of R&D on ray tracing and want to push the tech hard to get a ROI, but they need to amortise the tech before having it trickle down to the midrange. The branding could have another effect of justifying additional expense, which would allow them to charge more for the hardware with RTX and allow them to amortise more quickly.
  3. I disagree. The new node, increased number of transistors, cores, and ROPs over Pascal could prove to have a good increase in performance over Pascal. I don't think NVIDIA could justify new hardware to consumers without a performance jump. If the leaks are true then we can expect 40-50%.
  4. You didn't justify your point, but I don't think a refresh is out of the question because AMD won't have their new cards ready until a good way into next year and NVIDIA always likes to release something at the same time to take the wind out of AMD's sales (edit: pun not intended). I also think it will be too soon for a new μarch.
To your point about NVLink bridges, that is completely up in the air. I don't know about the tech that goes into the external bridges, and all we can go on is the cost of the Quadro bridges. No doubt they will be more expensive than the HB SLI bridges, but I wouldn't guess by how much. I think that they certainly won't be $599 a piece, that's for sure.
oh. I forgot to mention ... about the 20 series launch being "still a long way off"
I dun know about any of you but I don't like to lie and don't like it when others lie to me.

So Nvidia can do their launch sometime this week but for me buying one of their 20 series caeds is still a long way off (maybe this time next year, we'll see)
A "long way" is subjective. Back in May (I think) when this was being circulated was during a circuit of various conventions. During that time a "long way" was probably just a way of saying, "you're not going to hear about it at any of these half dozen conventions we're attending and giving keynotes at."

Last edited:
If the 2080ti is 50% or more faster than the 1080ti I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they charged $1k for it.

Just a note that SLI connector is dropped. They do come with NVLINK but how much a bridge costs for the Geforce RTX cards is unspecified.

I sure hope it isn't same bridge as used for Tesla and such, these are like $800 for a damn bridge. They much make them out of platinum and virgin tears.

I sure hope it isn't same bridge as used for Tesla and such, these are like $800 for a damn bridge. They much make them out of platinum and virgin tears.

It's because of those new tariffs on virgin tears. Really ups them prices ;)

The website is down... which is a good indicator that the information was real.

Back