ASUS EEEPC900A-WFBB01 Eee PC 900A white netbook $169 + ship

the SSD is really slow a no good for windows FYI

Having owned one for about two weeks, hated it more than any machine I've ever used in my life, and sold it for this very reason, I can confirm... stay the hell away from this thing unless you're willing to run Linux and spend a lot of time getting it fast enough that it isn't outright miserable to deal with.

I wouldn't spend more than $50 on it. Seriously.

lol.....can some one find me a netbook with atom processor for $50?

the thing is perfectly fine if you know how to tweak the xp install with nlite. yes, even the original 4gb ssd is fine, all depend on your usage.

lol.....can some one find me a netbook with atom processor for $50?

the thing is perfectly fine if you know how to tweak the xp install with nlite. yes, even the original 4gb ssd is fine, all depend on your usage.

I nlited my copy of XP (properly, twice, according to two different guides). I set up RAM drives for temp files. I turned off temp writing and cached as much as I could in RAM in addition to that. It still ran like shit.

Having owned one for about two weeks, hated it more than any machine I've ever used in my life, and sold it for this very reason, I can confirm... stay the hell away from this thing unless you're willing to run Linux and spend a lot of time getting it fast enough that it isn't outright miserable to deal with.

I wouldn't spend more than $50 on it. Seriously.

I took a similar model with me while backpacking Europe and I have to disagree with you. I wiped Linux off of it right away and installed XP on it using a thumb drive on my class 6 (fastest available) SDHC card. Installed a resolution hack that scales up to 1024 x 768 which is more than usable. This netbook does serve it's purpose as an ultra portable no frills machine, and it has around 5-6 hour battery life which is awesome. I also bring this with me while driving around and hop on free wireless (unsecured linksys signals FTW) to check email, use google earth, etc. Not to mention having one of these on a long plane ride to the east coast is a godsend.

It fits neatly into my backpack, messenger, wherever. The only complaint I had, was the keyboard which was non responsive, but I opened it up, put some foil underneath and it works perfectly.

A good resource for these netbooks is forum.eeeuser.com

The eee is amazing, and I don't want to go anywhere without it.

To clarify, all my above comments refer to the 900A with 4GB SSD /only/. Other 9" EEPcs are just fine, though as the above poster states, the keyboards are generally too flexible and require some filler behind them to keep responsive.

This will be fine for a netbook for taking night and weekend college classes though. She needs it for taking notes and just using Word and maybe some lite surfing. I've got 2 Quad core maches here, it's not for the speed, it's for the size and mobility.

I wasn't looking for a fast laptop, I just need something she can slip in her purse, cheap and can take notes on really.

I think some people compare this to a $1000 and sure its not a $1000 laptop, but not everyone is looking for high performance for under $200 :)

This will be fine for a netbook for taking night and weekend college classes though. She needs it for taking notes and just using Word and maybe some lite surfing. I've got 2 Quad core maches here, it's not for the speed, it's for the size and mobility.

I wasn't looking for a fast laptop, I just need something she can slip in her purse, cheap and can take notes on really.

I think some people compare this to a $1000 and sure its not a $1000 laptop, but not everyone is looking for high performance for under $200 :)

Don't worry, no need to defend your purchase here ;)

Even for a Netbook with only 4gb SSD, that's a pretty nice price... lowest I've seen I believe.

Back