Asus Eee Transformer - $400 at Best Buy, possibly

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
Ok, that's a bit surprising I must say:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/31/asus-eee-pad-transformer-shows-up-at-best-buy-for-400/

That's just for the Transformer itself, of course - the keyboard is gonna be optional, obviously. I have to admit I expected it to be priced higher, like in the $600+ range. I do think this is way aggressive pricing that should see this thing flying off the shelves as fast as they can stock 'em, however.

Just basically chopped the XOOM right off at the kneecaps... ;)

1) Is it possible to install other operating systems (e.g. Ubuntu - ARM edition and Chrome OS)?
2) If dual- (or triple-) booting ... is 16GB of space enough? How much (approx.) does Honeycomb take?

1) Nobody knows much of anything yet, although there's hope that it can be made more useful thanks to talented folk over at XDA-Developers.

2) ARM-based OSes are pretty tiny in comparison to full blown desktop computer operating systems. Most OSes on ARM devices are less than about 120MB in size, with more in use if required. ARM devices typically have 1GB of RAM in them for the OS and running apps; the 16GB is the storage in the device which would be enough for dozens of different OSes if that were possible.

We'll know more in a few weeks, and even more as people tear into the Transformers when they've on the market.

At $400 I found my tablet, this is a sale for me.

Dont forget about Windows 8 ARM rumor, if they do have an ARM variant it will be sweet for future tablets!

The Windows 8 ARM thing ain't a rumor - Microsoft showed a demo of it in operation at CES back in January, running Windows 7 recompiled for ARM operation and even Word itself too so, it's not a rumor, it's what's coming.

Now, as for you being able to actually install it on something like the Transformer, that'll be the interesting part because I'm quite positive that it'll be only available as a factory install - there won't be a "Windows 8 ARM Edition" that you can just run down to Best Buy or Fry's and cough up a few bucks for. :D

The Windows 8 ARM thing ain't a rumor - Microsoft showed a demo of it in operation at CES back in January, running Windows 7 recompiled for ARM operation and even Word itself too so, it's not a rumor, it's what's coming.

Now, as for you being able to actually install it on something like the Transformer, that'll be the interesting part because I'm quite positive that it'll be only available as a factory install - there won't be a "Windows 8 ARM Edition" that you can just run down to Best Buy or Fry's and cough up a few bucks for. :D

that would be a mistake to keep it oeminstalled only.

Can you show me a single instance of an ARM-powered device that lets the end user install whatever OS they want on it (since there are alternatives already in use on multiple devices - the HTC HD2 is a perfect example since it can run Android, Windows Mobile 6.x, Windows Phone 7, Ubuntu, and several other OSes too)?

I know it's possible (because I've been putting custom "ROMs" on multiple types of devices for what, 7 years now) but, given that it requires effort, I seriously doubt that any device manufacturer is going to provide some simple "point and click" installer - that flies in the face of it being an "embedded" product in the first place which is typically what ARM-powered devices traditionally are.

We could see a change, I suppose, but I don't have any reason to believe it'll be implemented, by any ARM-powered device manufacturer.

This thing looks really sick if its just $400. I'll almost surely get one. Is it $400 for just tablet, and then $150 more to get the keybaord dock? Even that would be deal to me. Now sucks I have to wait >:|.

Can you show me a single instance of an ARM-powered device that lets the end user install whatever OS they want on it (since there are alternatives already in use on multiple devices - the HTC HD2 is a perfect example since it can run Android, Windows Mobile 6.x, Windows Phone 7, Ubuntu, and several other OSes too)?

I know it's possible (because I've been putting custom "ROMs" on multiple types of devices for what, 7 years now) but, given that it requires effort, I seriously doubt that any device manufacturer is going to provide some simple "point and click" installer - that flies in the face of it being an "embedded" product in the first place which is typically what ARM-powered devices traditionally are.

We could see a change, I suppose, but I don't have any reason to believe it'll be implemented, by any ARM-powered device manufacturer.

I wasn't saying there was right now, but MS could really get some market share if they did. Honestly most people will not put in the work to either have dual boot but getting more of the enthusiasts to boost your product for you or starting a small revolution allowing personal choice to combat agaonst the ipad?

You're of the impression that Microsoft is hurting or something... I don't know where people get that impression from, personally. As someone that has used, continues to use, and will keep using Microsoft products till the company up and disappears like a fart in the wind, I have to question whether people understand that, until the Zune came out, Microsoft and Apple had never been in actual direct competition before.

Until the Zune, Microsoft made products for OEMs (OSes, software, etc) and other aspects that really had no real world direct competition with anything Apple produced: everything Apple made up till the introduction of the Zune hardware was either Apple hardware itself or software designed to run only on Apple hardware.

Once the Zune came out, that's the first time Microsoft found itself legitimately in direct competition with Apple as the Zune was a hardware product directly competing with the Apple iPod, and that's about the only direct competition the two companies have ever had.

Microsoft ain't going nowhere, and even though the dedicated Zune DAP/PMP hardware may just about be history at this point, even with Windows Phone 7 out and available now in technical respects Microsoft still ain't in direct competition with Apple - the competition that exists in the smartphone market is third-party at best since Apple is a hardware manufacturer selling the iPhones and they're competing against HTC, Samsung, Motorola, Sony/Ericsson, LG, and of course Nokia, etc.

People will continue to buy products that aren't made by Apple, and so in that respect Microsoft will still be around as the companies in direct competition with Apple will still need OSes for their products, and for all that Android offers, it's still not the only game in town. People still do want choice - if they didn't, everybody would have an iPhone.

In the big huge gigantic scheme of things, Apple and their iPhones are a drop in the bucket compared to the sheer volume of smartphones the companies already mentioned are producing, and even if just a somewhat small percentage of them come with Windows Phone 7, Microsoft is doing just fine overall.

The recent partnership between Microsoft and Nokia is just going to mean a bigger share of the pie. It's not happening right this second, but it's coming, and both companies will continue doing just fine.

The sheer number of tablet products that are appearing and even more are coming is just another reflection of the smartphone situation; it'll all work out in the long run and there's enough to go around. Ain't nobody hurting for market share at this point even in spite of Apple's 24/7 marketing machine proclaiming "the death of the PC" just because they got around to making a tablet. It just ain't all that.

I never said they were hurting or going the way of extinction. I merely think if they change their game plan they might be able to get faster market penetration, which is also directly challenging the iPad.

224290-asuseepadtransformerad_original.jpg

If I can use vim w/ cmd keys (ctrl/alt) in an ssh session with the keyboard dock on this thing... (and nice responsive screen of course) this thing is soo mine..

Looks interesting. It's not almost month 6 and it's getting close to the time i said i'll be looking for my permanent tablet.

These are a few Archos features i'd like to know if are also available on that:

NTFS - My external drives and some of my thumbdrives/memory cards are NTFS (720p videos are 4-6 gigs. 1080p are 8-11 gigs)

Network support - Much like on Windows, all your apps can access any shared file on the network (i.e. Windows = \\MyPC\SharedFolder\Myfile.txt; Archos = \storage\network\smb\workgroup\MyPC\SharedFolder\Myfile.txt)

Codecs/Subtitles = Just because it says hardware accelerated h264 doesn't actually mean the hardware will *actually* run your existing h264 videos. What profile does it use? 3.1? 4.1? 5.1? 9 reference frames? 16 reference frames?

Regarding the price, i'm not sure how it is in the US, but if i consider customs taxes, parcel delivery and VAT, that may actually be closer to $700.00 over here.

This is looking rather nice. The price range of this tablet seem really attractive. :) Will pick one up when it's available for sure.

This thing looks really sick if its just $400. I'll almost surely get one. Is it $400 for just tablet, and then $150 more to get the keybaord dock? Even that would be deal to me. Now sucks I have to wait >:|.

That's the pricing I've seen quoted a couple places. $400 for the 16GB model with the 32GB at $500, and another $150 for the dock.

It's going to be very hard to resist buying one at that price point.

Does anyone know how the "3G module" works if there is one? Is it built in and sold for more like the ipad? Couldn't really find a clear answer on this one... Some sites say there is a 3G module for certain locales though, so I dunno lol
And is the keyboard sold separately or must you buy the combo if you want both?

16GB = 399
16GB + KB = 399+150
16GB 3G?
32GB = 499
32GB + GB = 499+150
32GB 3G?

Engadget did a great job comparing it with the Xoom until they started praising the holyness of the iPad.

Engadget did a great job comparing it with the Xoom until they started praising the holyness of the iPad.

I agree completely and that's what apparently happened with Anand's Transformer review.

It's not a bad review, but unfortunately (personal opinion here, stand back) Anand is beginning to do what everyone else does in such reviews: they just won't shut the fuck up about the iPad. It's a disservice in the extremes to the product they're supposed to be reviewing when they continually - almost rampantly - keep mentioning the iPad (1 or 2, doesn't matter). It's disheartening to see Anand do it since his reviews over the years have been good ones and they did tend to focus on the product at hand and not other products in the same class.

I get that people are interested in some level of comparison, but if you want to know about an iPad, you don't read a review for a Xoom or a Transformer or any other product, so if you want to read about the Transformer (or the Xoom for that matter) you don't go reading iPad reviews... which in some small way this review turned into: not a review of the Transformer and what it's capable of but a comparison to the iPad.

Comparison != review. :(

^I didnt get that from the Anand review at all.
Just reread the review. Overall I would say thats a great and fair review. Its hardly a review of the IPAD. Both the Ipad and the Xoom are mentioned for comparison, which they should be. Ipad is the best selling tablet of the moment and the Xoom was the first Android tablet out the gate (I think), so of course they are mentioned in the article.

Last edited:
i'll likely be picking one up as well.

so they say there are issues w/ the IPS screen outdoors. does this include sitting in the shade?

great review. If they are going to keep this prices for their future tablets, then we might see a winner :). Props to ASUS.

Thought maybe I finally found a use for my $50 BB giftcard, but all it would do is pay the 9.75% sales tax.

Amazon it is.

I called up the BX on base seeing if they would get any in, they said no :(. Walked in and ask the manager if he would be getting a shipmet on release day/near release day and he said no, they wouldn't be carrying them but I could buy an iPad2 if I wanted!

Ugh there goes my chance on tax free!

I called up the BX on base seeing if they would get any in, they said no :(. Walked in and ask the manager if he would be getting a shipmet on release day/near release day and he said no, they wouldn't be carrying them but I could buy an iPad2 if I wanted!

Ugh there goes my chance on tax free!

Apparently you can order it through AAFES:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1036816

Can't say that's 100% accurate but, it does seem other folk have done it so, can't hurt to try if you want one.

I didn't have enough time to call at work, I generally only call AAFES while at work anyways. The manager I talked to today seemed fairly clueless, I'm almost for sure they will have a shipment in, the guy is just there to look at sheets and not do his job (typical problem with BX's).

I'll call them tomorrow, or check their website the 25th to see if they opened up orders on it. Would be silly for them not to have this product.

Joe - Ok, I just checked, they DO have it! small mark up, I ordered :D. Thanks for the heads up!

Back