ASUS Eee Pad Transformer coming Tuesday 4/26

So what exactly are you guys doing with these devices beyond the usual suspects like web browsing and media playback? Any one try note taking yet?

Media, web, email, games, and ebook reading which works well at anything but max brightness, very comfy. Built in mylibrary reads pdf too.

Ok typing this post from the transformer and I'm loving it so far. :)

This type of post (no pun intended) is like the "Hello World" of tablets. I did exactly the same thing when I inked my first post from a Tablet PC nine years ago.

I really have enjoyed mine...unfortunately it had a few minor issues: backlight bleed and creaking. I could put up with both of these...but then I noticed a stuck pixel in the middle of my screen. I've spent the last day using the pixel videos and 'massaging' as gently as possible the affected area to no avail. Created an rma with tiger direct :(. I guess I will return it...maybe with the dock if I can't order one within the next 29 days to replace it. Speaking of the dock...I have a question for you guys that own it. I have an older Asus netbook (1000HE) and it would do the dam nest thing: While typing track pad would 'tap' itself to where the curor's position was in...which would make typing infuriating. I'm having a very similar issue with the dock, at some moments. Anyone having the same issues?

Speaking of a2sd, how big is the system partition for honeycomb? Is it still fixed, or can it be resized now?

Being a college student, I don't know what I'll use this tablet for since I already have a nice Asus laptop, but I am so tempted to pick one up!

Hopefully I'll be able to order one before the fall semester starts. =P

I'm replacing my EEE netbook with this guy, maybe. The main thing is I want to be able to surf the web on the couch, take it with me as GPS for the car, surf on the road now and then, and use it for PDFs on D&D night (not having to lug around 50lbs worth of books now is great). The thing is I can already do most of this with my iphone and netty. The real factor is, well, the form factor. Tablets are really convenient. So I guess that's what it all boils down to if you've already got a device that can do what you want the TF for. Is that added bit of convenience worth $400+ to you?

Serious question: is there a reason to pay $100 more for the 32GB version when you can pick up a 16 or 32GB microSD card for much cheaper?

Like was mentioned you can just add the stick for even more storage. Given the $100 premium though I think it's really silly considering the ramping up of cloud storage everywhere. It won't be long before SSDs take over as the primary drives and all the "big storage" (for media at least) happens online. Early adopters are already doing it today, and I think in 5-10 years it'll be the norm. Amazon's Cloudplayer for music is a good example. I've got all 16GB of my music there and it's accessible wherever I go. No more need to load up individual devices anymore, make backups of my drives, and so on. Storage as a service is an amazing thing, although it'll take some time before people really get behind it. The only drawback is the requirement for a good internet connection, which quite frankly is already pretty damn ubiquitous.

Last edited:
Damn this Samurai II: Vengeance is awesome.

Also I downloaded that Nvidia Tegra app. It has streaming HD videos that look great and do not lag at all. They are boring interviews, but still it shows the capability is obviously there to stream quality video without lagging up a storm.

Hopefully they can get youtube sorted out. I got the latest firmware this morning, might be imagining it, but youtube seems even worse than stock as far as the stuttering goes, even the audio was completely out of sync.

Hopefully they can get youtube sorted out. I got the latest firmware this morning, might be imagining it, but youtube seems even worse than stock as far as the stuttering goes, even the audio was completely out of sync.

I got the update this morning as well, however I noticed less/no youtube lag depending on the video.

I have serious concerns about both the WiFi and GPS antennas on the Acer A500 tablet. I've been trying as hard as I can to fall in love this with machine, but the poor WiFI and GPS are causing me headaches.

I'm using GPS Test now..and in the same location, my phone easily locks onto several satelites, while the A500 seems to struggle really hard. I have barely seem it lock onto more than 2 satellite and none are in use. Phone (Droid Incredible) has 7 in use right next to the A500.

I see a similar thing going on with WIFI. The signal strength is about 5-10 dbm weaker on the A500 than my Droid Incredible, depending on location and orientation. Get farther away and the problem increases almost to the point where the signal is too weak to use WIFI.

I use Wifi Analyzer to test the WiFI signal strength.

Would someone be so kind as to do side my side comparisons of the ASUS Transformer and whatever Smartphone you have using these two apps?

This could be the deal breaker for me that will cause me to return the Acer and pay the restocking fee. One reason I wanted this tablet is because of the GPS antenna (which my iPad 2 lacks). And obviously I want decent WiFi connectivity.

Storage as a service is an amazing thing, although it'll take some time before people really get behind it. The only drawback is the requirement for a good internet connection, which quite frankly is already pretty damn ubiquitous.
You are forgetting that the majority of the world does not have access to broadband Internet and even in the U.S. and Canada many users are quite limited when it comes to broadband. Europe is actually way ahead in that regard.

How well does the HTML 5 version of YouTube work on this device?

Im doing this from the transformer, just got done doing some youtube surfing (using the app) and a little netflix, overall performance was awesome, very few stutters, the sound did end up having a time issue once.

This item does have a few problems that seem to be a bit of software problems, im waiting for 3.1 to root.

You are forgetting that the majority of the world does not have access to broadband Internet and even in the U.S. and Canada many users are quite limited when it comes to broadband. Europe is actually way ahead in that regard.

With Comcast and ATT now implementing transfer caps on all their service, we're about to hit a very important wall. Know how Netflix Canada created a new high-compression low-bandwidth stream for Canadian viewers exclusively? Well, that's because they have caps, and a couple of people streaming Netflix over a month could easily use up their cap, with regular usage!

We're moving backwards in America and quite a few Common Law countries. Where most of Europe and Asia are moving towards ubiquitous fiber 1gb/s connections and even 10gb connections for business, we're sliding back to the days of AOL's "100 Hours". For years telecoms have been pushing "Sign up for our FAST broadband and download stuff! Pay a lot of money, but get your movies, music and more!", but they're realizing that instead of using our taxpayer dollars AND subscription fees to improve the speed and reach of the network while lowering costs, they can simply pocket it and tell us to download less.

It didn't help to see such a huge conflict of interest arise when Comcast and friends decided it would get more people to subscribe to their TV and phone service, if their bandwidth transfer is limited - After all, downloading HD episodes of all your favorite shows, even legally, will mean less cable subscriptions. It has the side benefit of discouraging Netflix, iTunes, Vonage, and other services in favor of the native ones.

Comcast is considering lowering their 250gb/month cap to 150, something ATT is mirroring with U-Verse and their DSL service. If we can't stop this now, the "boiled frog" effect will take over and people wont' truly get pissed until we're down to 10-50gb a month, like Canada. Things are even worse with our mobile providers, where T-Mobile's (Now part of the ATT "family") is the last hold out for GSM without data overages, but even they have gone to "unlimited but not really. If you use more than 5gb we'll throttle you to 56k for the month", which looks like gold in comparison to the overpriced ATT Wireless data plans.

Cloud storage not only requires huge amounts of data transfer, its also predicated on trusting someone else to hold your data for you. Only a few providers have true deniability-level encryption schemes and the HBGary leaks have shown that various organizations from the entertainment cartels to financial services and marketing douchebags are seeing cloud storage as a nice centralized place to grep user data.

I use Wifi Analyzer to test the WiFI signal strength.

Would someone be so kind as to do side my side comparisons of the ASUS Transformer and whatever Smartphone you have using these two apps?

Can't speak to GPS as I'm indoors at the moment and wifi strength may not be a good comparison because my Nexus S has weak wifi, but here's wifi compared in my house:

Transformer: 56-51 dbm
Nexus S: 65-62 dbm

Can't speak to GPS as I'm indoors at the moment and wifi strength may not be a good comparison because my Nexus S has weak wifi, but here's wifi compared in my house:

Transformer: 56-51 dbm
Nexus S: 65-62 dbm

Did you mean to have minus signs in front of those? So the transformer would be -56 to -51 dbm and the Nexus S would be -65 dbm to -62 dbm.

That's Interesting. I would kinda expect a tablet to have higher signal strength since there is so much more real estate to locate the antennas. Plus, it's easy to block the signal with your hand on a cell phone. So your result is more like what would expect that my result. My results seem backwards less there is some design issue with the Acer.

Thanks.

I picked one of these up 2-3 weeks ago, and can't even begin to explain how impressed I am. I really haven't used my mac for anything other tham ide/dev stuff, but I'm hopeful that some linux distro will run on this sooner or later. The only thing that sucks is no [H] on Tapatalk...

The only thing that sucks is no [H] on Tapatalk...

I actually found that the [H] Forum works perfectly when opened in the browser with "Tablet" selected as the user agent. It fits the screen exactly and all the functionality and scrolling is super smooth.

I actually found that the [H] Forum works perfectly when opened in the browser with "Tablet" selected as the user agent. It fits the screen exactly and all the functionality and scrolling is super smooth.

Oh, I totally agree! I just like some of the functions of Tapatalk more than via the browser, and its A LOT faster.

Oh, I totally agree! I just like some of the functions of Tapatalk more than via the browser, and its A LOT faster.

I will have to give this a try, im seriously slacking off on hanging out at xda ... having too much fun tinkering with it myself!

Iam definatly gonna pick one of these up. But dont know from where tho!

I have a friend that is heading over to the US today and will be able to pick one up for me there.

I have a question for you guys that has the tablet with the dock. Is it possible to switch to a Swedish keyboard? meaning you can get the åäö but on other buttons? I know i did it with my Eeepc since it was Japanese.

The eeepad is out in Sweden in june and almost twice as expensive compared to what my friend will have to pay in the US.

So i could buy the pad in the us and then keyboard in Sweden but Asus says that it might take a while before the dock shows up as a accessorie :/

Hmm! Cant decide at all!

Umm, yea don't think I'll be synching my work email with my transformer.

Last edited:
Umm... dude, it's so big, i don't know what i'm looking at.

Umm, yea don't think I'll be synching my work email with my transformer.

Geezus, what does that even mean? Erase the tablet's data without warning, by performing a factory reset? This can't be right; Mr. Exchange here is asking for a little too much :eek:

Did someone get a chance to read my question? :) A few posts up. Would be greatly appriciated and i will buy you one can of cola and pay trough paypal of you can help me answer it.

Did someone get a chance to read my question? :) A few posts up. Would be greatly appriciated and i will buy you one can of cola and pay trough paypal of you can help me answer it.

If you switch you language to Svenska, you can select the Svenskt tangentbord which I can only assume means swedish keyboard.

Or did you mean, the hardware keyboard...? EDIT: yes that works also, the a and o with dots above 'em replace semicolon and apostrophe.

Last edited:
Geezus, what does that even mean? Erase the tablet's data without warning, by performing a factory reset? This can't be right; Mr. Exchange here is asking for a little too much :eek:

I've never seen this before.

I've never seen this before.

I've seen this before. The security policy at the company I work for states that if I have work email setup on my phone (which I sure as heck do not lol), our IT must have the ability to remote wipe my phone in the event it's stolen or something along those lines. This probably is not so common outside of work environments though.

If you switch you language to Svenska, you can select the Svenskt tangentbord which I can only assume means swedish keyboard.

Or did you mean, the hardware keyboard...? EDIT: yes that works also, the a and o with dots above 'em replace semicolon and apostrophe.

That is wonderful!

What is your paypal and how much does a coke cost for u?

Are there any offline office/word apps for this? Free prefered. I'd like to get one but don't want to be online just to type a document.

Back