ASUS DUAL 1060 OC paste swap results

Captindecisive

Limp Gawd
It's been a while since I've been overclocking, re-pasting, de-lidding, etc. I had a sudden notion yesterday to start messing around in it again.

I started by overclocking the video card to find max clocks it was capable of. As in the title, it's an ASUS DUAL 1060 OC edition. Stock clocks were running at 2000MHz core (boost) which was a steady clock during gaming/stress/etc, and the standard 8000MHz memory. On stock paste I was able to get to 2100MHz core, 9000MHz memory with full stability. At these clocks, and the stock fan profile, the temps would get in the 75-79C range, and the core would downclock to 2030MHz. I changed the fan profile to keep a steady 2100MHz clock, and the temps would hover around 71-72C with the fan set to be at 80%.

I decided that since I was de-lidding my 6600k anyways, I'd go ahead and replace the stock paste on this card with thermal grizzly kryonaut. Post paste change, at the same 2100/9000 clocks, the card will sit at 50C in games, and got to 55-57C in stress testing. Nothing else was changed, fan profile stayed the same, and clocks stayed the same. I really wasn't expecting such a huge drop in temps; I can only assume the stock paste was just not applied well, or properly.

Hey Paul, I'm out of paste, you got any big league chew handy? -Asus guys

Yea, it was a massive drop. I was not expecting a larger drop in temps from a paste change on the video, than from the de-lidding temp drop on the processor, lol.

Back