ASUS DGX, DSX, & Xonar ROG Phoebus Sound Cards @ [H]

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jul 9, 2012.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News Staff Member

New drivers! Who wants to try them?

The bad: Over on the forums they are saying that they removed DTS Ultra II and Dolby Digital Live support from the drivers. Also the DRM in Windows 8.1 won't allow the card to work with music services and Netflix.

The good part about these drivers is supposed to be a new UI interface. I wonder if they left in the voice changer that allowed you to sound like a duck? That's all I did with it in the last months of it's existence in my PC.

http://www.asus.com/us/Sound_Cards/ROG_Xonar_Phoebus/HelpDesk_Download/

2. KG1O1

KG1O1 n00bie

cagey, UNIxonar custome drivers FTW .
    :cool:

3. cageymaru

Note that the following Asus cards won’t work and will not be supported with UNi Xonar Drivers: Asus Xonar U1, U3, U5, U7, EssenceOne, Essence STU, ROG Phoebus, ROG Thunderbolt, D-Kara.

So those won't work. :)

4. memnoch998

memnoch998 Limp Gawd

so the dgx i have sitting around is still useful and properly supported now?

5. Saturn_V

Saturn_V [H]ard|Gawd

Disregard, driver works fine when you download the correct one. (DGX instead of DG)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  6. cageymaru

Finally a Win 10 Beta driver. Seems that turning on surround sound kills all of the sound according to the Asus forums. Someone also mentioned that since the drivers aren't WHQL things like Netflix are broken due to Windows DRM. You need to hack the drivers to make it work, but then some people are saying this lowers the sound quality. My Phoebus card is sitting in a cardboard box with my Q6600 in my closet. I bought a Monoprice DAC as I needed to be able to hear sound.

ROG Xonar Phoebus driver for Win10
    http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ROG+Xonar+Phoebus&p=21&s=3

Please be noted that this beta driver has the issues. It has been debugging and a fixed driver will be uploaded soon.
    The use of features below is not recommended.
    1.When sound effect is on, it can’t be played.
    2.SPDIF out via DDL cannot be played.

Asus support thread where you can read about what is still broken.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?68137-Windows-10-Driver/page11

7. davidm71

davidm71 [H]ard|Gawd

You know even Creative stepped up to the plate and released Win 10 drivers for their Titanium X-Fi Fatality cards but Asus releases a beta not working driver with such a slow roll out history that its laughable. I mean my last motherboard purchase was not Asus because of this lazy attitude and disrespect to their customer base. I still am using the stock Windows 10 drivers and it works just fine but I'm sure even Realtek would sound nicer...

8. O67G

O67G n00bie

Adios xonar phoebus , just picked up the X7 from massdrop for $299 :)

9. tungt88

tungt88 [H]ard|Gawd

That is one heck of a sweet deal, grats! :)

10. cageymaru

11. Wagnelles

Wagnelles n00bie

Since Asus already released the brand new Strix cards, I think the OP should rename this thread.

12. davidm71

davidm71 [H]ard|Gawd

My phoebus is up for sale fwiw. Motherboard Alc1150 sounds decent to me!

13. cageymaru

I just found my Phoebus sitting in a box. Went to the Asus ROG website and checked the Win 10 driver thread. Seems that Asus removed all of the Dolby features from the card and are working on emulating them via software. They hired some outside company to write the driver and guess what? It's still in Beta.

Ha ha ha.

14. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

This sort of bullshit is why mine is sitting in a cabinet instead of getting used in a system.

cageymaru likes this.
  15. ElvishBoy311

ElvishBoy311 Limp Gawd

Just ordered a DGX cause my onboard has completely screwed up. Should I be using the official drivers or the custom ones posted here?

16. pencea

pencea n00bie

Took the plunge and bought the Asus Strix Soar 7.1 Gaming Soundcard.

After installing the card, I immediately went onto the Asus website and downloaded the latest drivers from the site.

I configured my setup as 5.1 both in Windows 10 & the software. To my dismay, stereo sources doesn't get upmix to 5.1 at all, the sound only plays in two speakers out of the 5...

I have to manually turn on the upmix in the software which actually makes the sound a lot worse. Both my previous X-fi extreme music and onboard sound did a much better upmixing job than this. Did anyone else here experienced this problem?

17. cageymaru

My Asus Phoebus had the same issue when I used it. There is no cure for Asus sound card software as the engineers developing it are tone deaf.