Asus Dark Hero x570 Freezing issues

Shadowarez

Gawd
Hello Fellow Asus DH Owners. after squashing the usb issues iv come across another odd one the system seems to only partially freeze Explorer in particular, i can click on icons on desktop but nothing happens, i can open task manager but nothing can be ended, its very odd iv not seen this before on my old i9 intel system, what this looks like to me is

1. windows sees im trying to either end a task or open something
2. it ignores any input, ending task, tying to open a app,
3. its random as in i can be doing my work or gaming normally but outa nowere next thing i open refuses.
4. i open taskmanager but it doesnt have any effect wont close anything
5. rebooting works problem doesnt show up rest of day.

this is starting to feel like a gremlin hunt and i hate those to the 10th degree with every fiber of my being as they usually end up without a answer like it only exists in my system, not sure what else i can do other then clear event viewer when this happens again and try catch it by trying to open something see if anything gets logged.

things iv tried,
1. Bios update
2. Fresh install of windows pro and AME Edtions,
3. new amd chipset drivers,
4. new gpu drivers,
5. memory tests for 3 days (huge amount of ram to test)

This seems like an OS drive access issue to me. As in, the system is having trouble talking to the SSD at a hardware level when the problem occurs. It's possible the OS drive is intermittently failing. The OS (kernel, DLLs, etc.) and apps stay running in memory and everything already loaded into memory works fine, but any software operation that needs to talk to the SSD just hangs. Apps won't launch, processes won't die, etc.
Your event viewer idea is a good one, but you'll probably need to already have it running before the problem happens or else it won't open after the problem starts. Plus I don't know if Windows caches events before writing to disk or if it requires them to be written before it displays anything in the viewer. (I'm thinking like Linux's 'dmesg' vs /var/log/syslog or messages files. In Linux, dmesg will have kernel messages that may never get written to disk because the disk is toast or disconnected from the controller, but at least you'll see what's going on, like kernel I/O timeouts writing to /dev/[hs]da.)

First thing I'd try is physically removing and inspecting the NMVe SSD(s) and connector pins on the SSDs and M.2 sockets to make sure they are clean and proper, then reinstall.
A much more intense and expensive test would be to get another spare NVMe SSD and swap the OS drive with it and load Windows 10 fresh and see if it happens again, but that's kind of a sledgehammer approach and very time-consuming depending on how rarely you experience the problem to begin with.
You coud also try switching from PCIe 4.0 speed to 3.0 on the SSD(s) to see if that has anything to do with it. Not ideal, I know, but for diagnostics it might be helpful. Hard to prove a negative though.
Check SSD temperatures, too. Is the SSD controller overheating? I would not expect this at all, though.
Another thing to try is go back to stock/auto memory speeds, just to see if it happens again. Again, not ideal, but you need to eliminate everything. Yes, I know you said memory testing was fine, but memory testing doesn't include doing things like reading/writing to the SSD at the same time like you do in the real world.

I'll add: Take all of your drives/SATA devices out of your system EXCEPT for your OS drive. See if the issue is still being experienced. If so, try using a different SSD for your OS drive. From your description, it really does sound like you have a SATA/SSD device that's either clobbering the bus or causing I/O calls to get hung. Bad/intermittent pins or some bad comms wires can do that...

Reactions: Azrak
like this
Sounds like an invisible window/overlay is active and stopping you from clicking anything

When you open task manger, do you do the keypress or does right clicking on the taskbar work?

when in task manager, you can right click on items and get a context window to pop up but nothing happens with the selection made?

ill try setting the m.2 pcie bus to auto i had them set to gen 4 since i did this for the gpu though t it would help give them access to the best performance possible since these drives are brand new and are supposed to be able to move 7gbs read/6600mbs write. and yeah i can right click but it doesnt seem to repsond once you click open,move,delete, i could also try this in a vm to see if the issue persists inside that.

Back