Asus Crosshair VI Hero gets "bricked" after unplugging it overnight

Xyvotha

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I got this MB and was able to install a bare Windows 10 Pro x64 with UEFI 1002. Had no problem to recognize the 4x16GB sticks, I was so happy after reading so many incompatibility tales!
After that beacuse of reasons I had to leave it unplugged for 2~3 weeks; then yesterday when I tried to resume the installation it wouldn't start (MB LEDs were on, but CPU fan wouldn't spin up). Clearing CMOS and resetting CPU/Heatsink wouldn't help.
So I tried UEFI 1201 via BIOS Flashback; it started ok and was able to boot to Windows. Then I moved the MB to a case (before I was doing it all sitting on the MB cardboard box), just to find it wouldn't start again! Tried a beta UEFI from here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/15900#post_26106654 and was able to start Windows again.
I left it unplugged last night and came today to find it wouldn't start again. Checked the back panel BIOS Flashback LED and it was flashing (didn't touch it). I was preparing a USB drive in another PC to do the BIOS Flashback again, then when came back to see the back LED wasn't flashing anymore! I hit the Start button and it booted to Windows w/o problem.

So the only thing I can think of is: Is it because the MB battery hasn't had enough time to charge? Or is there some setting I am missing? UEFI settings are default, haven't even tried to modify anything yet.

Setup:
Asus Crosshair VI Hero, UEFI 1002, 2001, 9943.
Ryzen 7 1700 w/stock heatsink.
HyperX Fury 2400 4x16GB.
Crucial SATA SSD.
Corsair RM750X PSU.
nVidia GT210 (I know, I'm waiting for GTX1080 to arrive).

I would appreciate any feedback, I've searched for similar scenarios but nobody mentions this behavior after UNPLUGGING their MBs.

Cheers!

Are you using RGB lights on this board ?
And have you tried starting the system with less ram (try 2 then 1) ?

Only additional RBG light is the stock HS/Fan.
Tried a single stick in any slot each time, same results.

Ive seen a few ryzen installs have cold boot issues, almost always caused by RAM incompatibility. Even if the RAM used is psrt of manufscturer QVL. Loosen timings next time you can boot to BIOS and fix your ram speed a notch lower and try again. Chrck voltage defaults too.

This is especially common when people are pushing their RAM too hard. It takes several reboot cycles before the board POST checks and boots. And often boards will reset their cmos before a successful attempt is made. But the clocks often worked and tested stable after a night of OC work, only to fail the next morning.

Ive seen a few ryzen installs have cold boot issues, almost always caused by RAM incompatibility. Even if the RAM used is psrt of manufscturer QVL. Loosen timings next time you can boot to BIOS and fix your ram speed a notch lower and try again. Chrck voltage defaults too.

This is especially common when people are pushing their RAM too hard. It takes several reboot cycles before the board POST checks and boots. And often boards will reset their cmos before a successful attempt is made. But the clocks often worked and tested stable after a night of OC work, only to fail the next morning.
Strange thing is all settings in BIOS are at default, RAM was correctly recognized from the first time in auto setting. Installing windows was smooth and had no issues until I unplugged the system.

Strange thing is all settings in BIOS are at default, RAM was correctly recognized from the first time in auto setting. Installing windows was smooth and had no issues until I unplugged the system.

Could also be a dead or non-contacting battery, but I doubt it. Those CR cells don't charge.

Do you resume well from S3 sleep?

Back