Asus Crosshair IV

CrazyCuz2k

Gawd
good thing I waited... I was wondering why all the Crosshair III's were drying up in the channels suspecting Asus would release a 890FX variant and pics are up on xtremesystems.

She's a beaut! Red and black like the other ROG series... SOLD!

I saw the pics, the board looks sick, but I don't even want to think of the price. Often AMD boards cost less than Intel boards w/ the same features, but the board looks absolutely amazing, and all the newer crosshairs seem to be really expensive.

The crosshairs are actually alot cheaper than the rampages and maximus's. They overclock really well. I'm expecting a $250 for the formula and $300 for the extreme.

Yeah, this board looks awesome, I love the dark colour scheme. I wish Gigabyte would come up with colours like these. It would be better if ASUS added dual LAN instead of a single one because I always network my computer.

Hopefully the Crosshair extreme isn't anything more than $200 or so like the top AMD boards now. ASUS really has no reason to price it at too much of a premium considering there isn't much new on it.

Well the crosshair III formula released at $250 so I'm assuming the IV formula will be at that pricepoint and the extreme at $300 same as the maximus extreme

I found these at TechConnect Magazine:

ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme

Asus_Crosshair_IV_Extreme_board_01.jpg

Crosshair IV Formula:

Asus_Crosshair_IV_Formula_board_01.jpg

Makes me feel sad since I have Crosshair III :(

:drool:

I'm going to be replacing my x4 940 with a 965 soon. This board will be the 965's new permanent home :D

Its a good looking board. I just wish manufacturers would put the CPU socket further away from the memory slots. Though as I understand it, this is a technical impossibility due to issues with Hypertransport signaling over larger distances.

Its a good looking board. I just wish manufacturers would put the CPU socket further away from the memory slots. Though as I understand it, this is a technical impossibility due to issues with Hypertransport signaling over larger distances.

+1

This also stops me from being able to use Crosshair's Dominator's cooler on my RAM's :\

I love the look of the extreme one. Can we get that in Micro Atx please.

It's either the Crosshair IV Extreme or the new MSI 890FX board. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Crosshair IV Formula for me. Don't need the extra features of the extreme. Don't plan on using LN2 which is what the extreme is really designed for. I'll stick with watercooling for now. :) Now just have to wait for EK to come out with the full board blocks

Wasn't there a board a year or 2 ago that had a full-board heatpipe cooler like this but had a spot where you could mount a NB waterblock to it? These high-end boards have nice air cooling solutions on them, but if you wanted to cool them a little better without spending $125 on a full-board cooling block it would be advantageous. I've considered trying to mill off the fins on the SB cooler on my M4A79t Deluxe and mod it to accept a small waterblock over the top of the current heatpipe block. It should provide additional cooling to the NB and MOSFETS via the heatpipe. pic of my board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=13-131-363-S02&ISList=13-131-363-S01%2c13-131-363-S02%2c13-131-363-S03%2c13-131-363-S04%2c13-131-363-S05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16813131363&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=ASUS%20M4A79T%20Deluxe%20AM3%20DDR3%20AMD%20790FX%20ATX%20AMD%20Motherboard

Edit: Does this look like it might be designed to go with these Crosshair boards?
http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCW-NBMAX-North-Bridge-Cooler-pr-4272.html

Last edited:
I found these at TechConnect Magazine:

ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme

Asus_Crosshair_IV_Extreme_board_01.jpg

Crosshair IV Formula:

Asus_Crosshair_IV_Formula_board_01.jpg

Makes me feel sad since I have Crosshair III :(

holy shit those are ugly.. wtf were they smoking when they designed those heatsinks? i mean come on this is an AMD based board.. the SB, chipset's do not even remotely make enough heat to require those ungodly heatsinks..

Wasn't there a board a year or 2 ago that had a full-board heatpipe cooler like this but had a spot where you could mount a NB waterblock to it? These high-end boards have nice air cooling solutions on them, but if you wanted to cool them a little better without spending $125 on a full-board cooling block it would be advantageous. I've considered trying to mill off the fins on the SB cooler on my M4A79t Deluxe and mod it to accept a small waterblock over the top of the current heatpipe block. It should provide additional cooling to the NB and MOSFETS via the heatpipe. pic of my board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=13-131-363-S02&ISList=13-131-363-S01%2c13-131-363-S02%2c13-131-363-S03%2c13-131-363-S04%2c13-131-363-S05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16813131363&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=ASUS%20M4A79T%20Deluxe%20AM3%20DDR3%20AMD%20790FX%20ATX%20AMD%20Motherboard

Edit: Does this look like it might be designed to go with these Crosshair boards?
http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCW-NBMAX-North-Bridge-Cooler-pr-4272.html

you mostly see them for nvidia based boards.. you will wont see a AMD board with a waterblock on it from the manufacture.. there is absolutely no reason for it.. the chipsets dont run hot at all compared the nvidia side.. same with intel's chipsets.. Nvidia's crap runs about 15-20C hotter then AMD or intels chipsets.. if you ever see an AMD chipset break 60C let alone 50C then you know you have a problem.. hell even my 780G board with a voltage boost from 1.15v to 1.25v with its tiny friggin heatsink never broke 40C in the 2 years i used that board and that was with an 8800GT and cpu dumping 50C+ heat directly into the case..

Last edited:
SGT.BOB.USARMY said:
extreme vs fomula ch4

Extreme has better PCIe 16x spacing so you can run 4x dual-slot cards. It also has a few other OC features like voltage probe points. I see 2 extra SATA ports on an external controller.

Awesome. A $400 motherboard that I can overclock my PII to maybe get it to run at fast as my OCed Core i5 on my $150 mobo. :\

Now now Kyle, rumor has it going for $200 for the formula and $250 for the extreme. The Extreme is designed for LN2 cooling and I've seen the 555's get to 7 ghz. That's a $100 processor that gets to 7 ghz... not that it would run more than 2 minutes at those speeds but that's besides the point

Now now Kyle, rumor has it going for $200 for the formula and $250 for the extreme. The Extreme is designed for LN2 cooling and I've seen the 555's get to 7 ghz. That's a $100 processor that gets to 7 ghz... not that it would run more than 2 minutes at those speeds but that's besides the point

7Ghz is nice... but 2 mins is... well... "that what she said".

Now now Kyle, rumor has it going for $200 for the formula and $250 for the extreme.

i agree, to release an AMD board above 250 would put the only reason for going AMD(Price on COMPLETE SETUP) down the drain.....though with those features on the Extreme, who knows...

dying for the Crosshair IV boards, any real official solid release dates yet? this is holding up me new build :(

tentatively April 26th last i heard, why dont they let people preorder this stuff? would make better business sense, getting sick of these NDAs

i have a ch3 now very fast oc real good,how much more will ch4 go,i know it has usb3.0
anybody seem to know?

rumors are the crosshair IV Extreme is going to be $250 and the Crosshair IV Formula is gonna go for $225

great thing is USB 3.0, 6.0 Sata and upgradabkle to a Hexa Core processor :D

as well as 4 PCI Express slots, Mem Check, GPU booster, Core Unlocker, tons of other features

and i believe the onboard HD sound card is on par with the best of the line pci sound cards

The whole m4 series is upgradeable to hexacore. Biggest difference is USB 3 and and sata 6. And aesthetics. Something about black and red :)

As for the other features, the MSI 790FX has 4 pci express slots and the m4a79T deluxe has 3.
Core Unlcoker is only needed on the 890 series as ACC already does the same on the 790 series.

Memcheck, audio same as on CH3. So no real reason to upgrade really unless you want USB 3, SATA 6 and oh yes the aesthetics!

rumors are the crosshair IV Extreme is going to be $250 and the Crosshair IV Formula is gonna go for $225

great thing is USB 3.0, 6.0 Sata and upgradabkle to a Hexa Core processor :D

as well as 4 PCI Express slots, Mem Check, GPU booster, Core Unlocker, tons of other features

and i believe the onboard HD sound card is on par with the best of the line pci sound cards

My M4A89GTD Pro is pretty nice. I like the blue better than the red anyway. I can't imagine it clocks that much better for $75-100 more.

for overvolting and LN2, the extreme will clock really well, for WC I'd prob go Formula, for stock air, any of the asus boards will be fine.

Any official price on these yet?????

I'm on call on Monday and I will be trying to buy one of the CH4 extreme's. Need to know, NOW though. Really can't wait!!!

i think the Formula is going to go for $230 on Newegg and $250 for the Extreme

the lowest preorder price ive seen for the Formula is $248 free shipping from ZZF

The whole m4 series is upgradeable to hexacore. Biggest difference is USB 3 and and sata 6. And aesthetics. Something about black and red :)

As for the other features, the MSI 790FX has 4 pci express slots and the m4a79T deluxe has 3.
Core Unlcoker is only needed on the 890 series as ACC already does the same on the 790 series.

Memcheck, audio same as on CH3. So no real reason to upgrade really unless you want USB 3, SATA 6 and oh yes the aesthetics!

m4a79t deluxe and chIII these new amd cpus hexacore there called they will work on my 2 boards below? thanks

Back