ASUS confirms GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

Create even more hype, have more happy customers, sell it for longer and deny the competitor sales.
You might even be able to snag a 3080 once the ti is released.
What I meant was are they allocation and shifting production from an already inadequate production chain, or they actually bought more contracts for a new dedicated production line? It wouldnt make sense to shift resources from a line that is sold out, to make room for a new SKU.

Reactions: erek
like this
What I meant was are they allocation and shifting production from an already inadequate production chain, or they actually bought more contracts for a new dedicated production line? It wouldnt make sense to shift resources from a line that is sold out, to make room for a new SKU.
It clearly was planned all along and they saved silicon for it.
The crush buying the 3080 will also happen with the 3080ti.
It will probably be a little easier to get a 3080 but getting a ti will be very difficult.

I dont care, I paid my way out and am happy no matter what.

like this
More like scalpers have them, and my faith in humanity is in some way restored because not many are buying them, but the stock is still "frozen"
That was from early december (I imagine the days after 3060ti):
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/analysis-of-scalping-Q4-2020
Overall according to Driscoll, scalpers have made $8,669,418 on RTX 3090s, $10,326,885 on RTX 3080s, $3,321,113 on RTX 3070s and $67,636 from RTX 3060 Tis. 3060 TI sales are low due to it being less than a month old.
https://dev.to/driscoll42/an-analys...alping-market-for-xbox-ps5-amd-and-nvidia-f35

And if I understand those numbers correctly, that is only from the Ebay platform on the USA territory alone, all platforms worldwide and up to december 26, would not be surprising if those numbers are 4 to 12 time of those.

For how much more sales we would have went into the territory that many are buying from scalpers ?

With everything being out of stock - how exactly does it make sense from a business prospective to create more SKUs that offer only marginal improvements when you cant even make enough of the base products?
More SKUs add some complexity but with how they do hardware now it can help supply in some scenarios, say having a 3060TI help you sell the silicon that was not good enough to make a 3070, having a 3080 help you sell the failed 3090 silicon and so on.

The 3080TI is less obvious, but once they cannot sell all the silicon good enough for a 3090 has fast has they can make them ( I imagine that coming Q1 2021), selling 3090 or almost 3090 has 3080 is quite the waste, having a 3080Ti in between make a lot of sense and you can even sells good enough to be a 3090 silicon has 3080TI once you get too many of those.

From what I understand you make GA102 pretty much all the same ways, the near perfect one became 3090 chips, those who fail quite a bit GA102 and the inbetween will become 3080TI, considering it share the same 320bit ram interface and all the rest, I am not sure it add much complexity or shift much ressource.

It could make sense if a lot of the GA102 being made start to be better than what is required to make a 3080 has the process get better to have an higher SKU and one that will have more than demand than a extreme priced 3090 to be able to sell them.

Last edited:
like this
Talk about overkill on the vram! If it has more shades that'll be a benefit but a small one... Not worth $300 more msrp than a base 3080 in my opinion. No regrets on my evga rtx 3080 FTW3 hybrid. Just got it in!
Haha yup
Same sentiment. 6900xt here. Perfectly happy with Team Red's Halo.

like this
Returned it once I got a 6900xt. Same lerformance if not more in some titles for $700 less. And I dont care abiut rays at all.
you got a reference design 6900 XT or Third Party AIB Partner design?

you got a reference design 6900 XT or Third Party AIB Partner design?
Reference on purpose. I want maximum comp with a water block. Also the AIBs are great if you want to air cool it. However, to me running an AIB at 400 watts yields no discernable difference in performance.

like this
Returned it once I got a 6900xt. Same performance if not more in some titles for $700 less. And I dont care about rays at all.

I tried selling it but no one truly wants a 3090 even of they have the money. Its just a makes zero sense card to be honest.
The 3090 is not a great deal, not going to argue that. Neither is the 6900 XT when you compare it to the 3080 and 6800 XT.

But to be fair, you were selling a used 3090 for more than they retail for brand new. The 3090s are not that hard to come by at MSRP from a retailer. That's likely why you had no bites.

Returned it once I got a 6900xt. Same performance if not more in some titles for $700 less. And I dont care about rays at all.

I tried selling it but no one truly wants a 3090 even of they have the money. Its just a makes zero sense card to be honest.
My guess is you arent playing Cyberpunk.

And I dont care about rays at all.
That's like saying you don't care about AntiAliasing or real time shadows, lol. It's a huge visual improvement and the 6900xt/6800xt fail at it big time compared to the 3090/3080.

Last edited:
That's like saying you don't care about AntiAliasing or real time shadows, lol. It's a huge visual improvement and the 6900xt/6800xt fail at it big time compared to the 3090/3080.

Wake me up when it's available in every game instead of a haphazard mess of maybe included at some point in the future via a patch.

$700 is a lot of money for half assed support in games.

And heres your straw man argument. youre wrong because you cant define what I find to be visually striking. I said I dont care about rays. Not we dont care about rays.

To me RT is the new iphone in pink----gotta buy one so I can be cool like Melissa over there!

Hardcore gamers want super low frame times and super high frame rates with max fidelity as a bonus. Ray tracing shreds all hopes. How many people turn off rays in the whole, what 11 titles, that support it but remain unspoken?

And RT is Nothing like AA? It has no synonomous relation at all. RT is light rays, AA is edge smoothing. Different an all accounts. Rays are so hard on a GPU nvidia has to cheat by using DLSS to fool you into frame rates. Its genius but its still voodoo. Yes AMD is also developing such trickery as well.

Last edited:
Wake me up when it's available in every game instead of a haphazard mess of maybe included at some point in the future via a patch.

$700 is a lot of money for half assed support in games.
Many major games now have it and more will only come, especially as consoles now have it too.

Many major games now have it and more will only come, especially as consoles now have it too.
And currently rays are optimized for nVidias version. Just because AMD did poorly on Port Royal, a benchmark exclusively written and optimized for nV, using AMD beta drivers written for brand new hardware has NO credibility in ascertaining AMDs true RT performance.

Lemming: AMD is destroyed by nV in Ray Tracing.

Professional: Once fully optimized DX12 Ray Tracing is implemented for AMDs method of performing ray calculations, then we can truly evaluate AMDs performance level.

And currently rays are optimized for nVidias version. Just because AMD did poorly on Port Royal, a benchmark exclusively written and optimized for nV, using AMD beta drivers written for brand new hardware has NO credibility in ascertaining AMDs true RT performance.

Professional: Once fully optimized DX12 Ray Tracing is implemented for AMDs method of performing ray calculations, then we can truly evaluate AMDs performance level.
It all uses dxr which isn't an nvidia form of raytracing.

I've been hearing the same argument since 2018. Other than Cyberpunk and the newest COD, not much there recently except indie games.

I guess it's neat if that's your thing, but I don't fault people for NOT buying the fastest Nvidia branded RT card. I played all the way through AC: Valhalla with <gasp> no ray tracing as there isn't any in that game.

More on topic though, I think a 3080Ti would be price/performance more competitive with the 6900XT. The 3090 is way to expensive for what you get IMO.

I've been hearing the same argument since 2018. Other than Cyberpunk and the newest COD, not much there recently except indie games.

I guess it's neat if that's your thing, but I don't fault people for NOT buying the fastest Nvidia branded RT card.
Lol, that's a disingenuous lie and you know it. I won't even bother to do a Google search for you to a list of RT games coming and here. Is this your first new feature transition? RT is bring adopted very quickly for one.

P. S. 3080 wins on 4k too. 3080 Ti will only further the gap.

Lol, that's a disingenuous lie and you know it. I won't even bother to do a Google search for you to a list of RT games coming and here. Is this your first new feature transition? RT is bring adopted very quickly for one.

The only disingenuous lie I see is Jensen's Turing presentation for Ray Tracing in 2018.

As it stands now, you can't even get me to half of currently released AAA titles that support RT. It's far from ubiquitous like the Nvidia apologists would like us to believe.

Honestly, I'm interested to see FC6 as supposedly they are working directly with AMD on a RT solution. That's a game that I will actually play as opposed to some tech demo bullshit game that adds to the number of RT titles available.

The only disingenuous lie I see is Jensen's Turing presentation for Ray Tracing in 2018.

As it stands now, you can't even get me to half of currently released AAA titles that support RT. It's far from ubiquitous like the Nvidia apologists would like us to believe.

Honestly, I'm interested to see FC6 as supposedly they are working directly with AMD on a RT solution. That's a game that I will actually play as opposed to some tech demo bullshit game that adds to the number of RT titles available.

You mean like godfall? If you are saying that cyberpunk is a game you don't like that's fine... but right now ON STEAM (and I'm discounting all other pc platforms) it's still pulling almost 250-300 thousand concurrent users.

Tech demo or not, people must like the game on pc. That said, I'm really only waiting until I can get something at msrp (or close). I'm not available during the day to buy either before the bots, so it looks like I'm waiting.

You mean like godfall? If you are saying that cyberpunk is a game you don't like that's fine... but right now ON STEAM (and I'm discounting all other pc platforms) it's still pulling almost 250-300 thousand concurrent users.

Tech demo or not, people must like the game on pc. That said, I'm really only waiting until I can get something at msrp (or close). I'm not available during the day to buy either before the bots, so it looks like I'm waiting.

I'd suggest to check out DPI's thread on the Deals subforum that talks about rare items, stock, and heads-up on ways to better your chance of acquiring them. For instance, there are some discord communities that give alerts because they're running special bots to detect when things are in stock ; I've found it very helpful. There's also the possibility of setting up your own bot or script, with relatively minimal effort among other chances. Generally these paths give a better opportunity than simply waiting until things die down as it will likely be quite a long time before they do. However, with these items that require a little bit of time (and in some cases a small amount of money), you can pick up an item at MSRP in time - its no guarantee you'll get one on your first shot, but it does make it quite likely that you'll have a far better chance than most not using such notifications or other tech.

Talk about overkill on the vram! If it has more shades that'll be a benefit but a small one... Not worth $300 more msrp than a base 3080 in my opinion. No regrets on my evga rtx 3080 FTW3 hybrid. Just got it in!
Nvidia needs to denerf their drivers for machine learning and whatever the scientific workloads they blacklisted and increased ram will make more sense.

i can't :( i bought the 3090 FE :(
Nah, you can hope a Ti variant comes out, regardless if you own a 3090 or not. It is highly unlikely many people are going to get a hold of one on day of release, or 4 months later. So it is possible that you have owned top tier tech for 6+ months.

Looking at Nvidia last three generations, a Ti model has existed, so it is likely one will exist for this series as well.

If you cannot accept that than you should never buy beyond the mid range.

I hope its Vulkan and not DX12 personally. DX had its day. Vulkan will be the new king hopefully.

I hope its Vulkan and not DX12 personally. DX had its day. Vulkan will be the new king hopefully.
Yes dx12 is what I would refer to as the nV bloated sluggish mess. Vulkan isnwhere AMD shines imo and Vulkan is superior to dx12 but Vulkan doesnt have Billy killy Gates backing it.

I'm good with my lowly 10 GB VRAM until 2 generations from now, unless there is a compelling reason to upgrade to the 4000 series or whatever. I'll be keeping a closer eye on AMD as well when I go to upgrade next time, for sure.

Yes dx12 is what I would refer to as the nV bloated sluggish mess. Vulkan isnwhere AMD shines imo and Vulkan is superior to dx12 but Vulkan doesnt have Billy killy Gates backing it.
Is that particularly true, for example Assassin Creed is a game where AMD do particularly well and that DirectX 12 and Vulkan Doom Eternal you see Nvidia do particularly well.

Considering AMD is driving the Xbox machine, I would imagine see it shine in DX12,

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_rx_6800_xt_strix_oc_liquid_cooled_review,27.html

Seem to show the 6800xt much closer to the 3080 in DX12 than Vulkan.

Were talking ray tracing
Is Quake 2 Vulkan RTX that different than DX12 raytracing ?

Dirt 5 and Godfall have both for example has a very AMD friendly Ray Tracing implementation, both are Directx 12 on PC I think. Maybe there Vulkan RTX is so new from what I understand.

Hope in one hand and DX12 in the other. See which one fills up first as the API that almost all games will use.

Is Quake 2 Vulkan RTX that different than DX12 raytracing ?

Dirt 5 and Godfall have both for example has a very AMD friendly Ray Tracing implementation, both are Directx 12 on PC I think. Maybe there Vulkan RTX is so new from what I understand.
To be honest im not up to speed on Godfall. But I do understand that one api vs another api can have vast differences in effeciencies and capabilities.

I suppose Hardware unboxed will have to pay a scalper.
They got the viewership of the big 3 youtubers collimated and fired at Nvidia like a main gun.

I don't think HWU will have any issues besides the existing rift with Asrock.

With everything being out of stock - how exactly does it make sense from a business prospective to create more SKUs that offer only marginal improvements when you cant even make enough of the base products?
Wait until you still can't find a 3080 without signing up for alerts and following discord channels, only to hear nVidia hyping up the 4000 series.

Back