ASUS confirms GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

Talk about overkill on the vram! If it has more shades that'll be a benefit but a small one... Not worth $300 more msrp than a base 3080 in my opinion. No regrets on my evga rtx 3080 FTW3 hybrid. Just got it in!

I guess I was wrong. I still don't see the sense in a 3060 with more VRAM than the 3070 and 3080 (and 3060Ti). Perhaps 3070 and 3080 will be discontinued, as the "conspiracy theories" from launch time speculated.

Last edited:
im with you im looking at 3080s to upgrade from my water cooled 1080 but im not paying a penny over msrp i can wait lol.
i just hope the 3080 Ti 20GB isn't faster than the 3090

Me: 3080 Ti...YEESSSSS Finally an upgrade path for my 1080 Ti that's worth the investment!
Me Also: .........and someday....if I live long enough...I'll own one.....<lights candle>....

If the RTX 3080 released with a 384-bit bus and 12GB of VRAM for $749 it would’ve been the ultimate card this generation. Would’ve sold just as well in the current market.

I’m still in the camp that 10GB of VRAM won’t be enough to max some games in the next 2 years at 4K. 12GB would’ve likely been the perfect amount for the next 3 years.

Too bad Nvidia likely purposely limited it to 10GB VRAM so that some people would wait for the more expensive 3080 Ti 20GB or fully splurge on the 3090 24GB to avoid any VRAM concerns off the bat.

yea i don't see reliable stock coming till march or april of next year i mean psus are still out of stock right now resurge of covid and flu during cold months wont help us either.

i just hope the 3080 Ti 20GB isn't faster than the 3090

One can only hope it is.

Very unlikely. All leaks thus far have pointed at it basically being a “full” GA102 chip (like the 3090) but with the same 320-bit memory bus as the 3080 (vs. 384-bit of the 3090), 20GB VRAM, and at a lower TDP that is expected to be the result of lower base/boost clocks than the 3090.

So if I had to guess at stock it’ll likely be right smack dab in between the 3080 and 3090 in performance; 3-5% faster than the 3080 and 3-5% slower than the 3090. The AIB versions will likely perform within 1-2% of the 3090.

Reactions: erek
like this
This product stack is bizarre. 3 cards with ~10% difference between them total.
I think AMD caught Nvidia off guard causing the product stack to get squished at the top end. These Ampere cards are pretty much maxed out from the factory.

An unsubstantiated theory of mine is that the clocks and TDP were originally lower on the 3080. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was originally a 300w TDP card that performed 5-7% worse than the current one does at 320w. That would’ve made it 10-20% slower than the 3090 which would’ve made more sense. But once the 6800 XT numbers came out Nvidia increased power draw and clocked it to nearly the max to make it more competitive.

They have to be planning to bring out a 3090Ti and retire the 3090 and 3080, like with the Supers.
The Ti variants won’t retire the previous cards as the price difference is immense ($699 3080 vs $999 3080 Ti). Also, not sure what else they could do to make a 3090 Ti. It’s already a “full” GA102 chip with a 350w TDP and the clock speeds to go with it. Nvidia just made another huge deal with Samsung for the 8nm process so a node reduction is unlikely for this generation. We’ll likely see a 3080 Ti at $999 and the 3090 will continue to be at the top at $1499.

Well I’m going to read the reviews about stuff that no one can buy because the reviewers have all of the cards. We’ll all be dead by the time you can buy one. Guess I can have the wife throw it in the coffin with me if she’s alive.

Well I’m going to read the reviews about stuff that no one can buy because the reviewers have all of the cards. We’ll all be dead by the time you can buy one. Guess I can have the wife throw it in the coffin with me if she’s alive.

lmao so true

CP2077 is using 7 gigs of VRAM at 1080p. Ultra with raytracing and DLSS at 4k is using 9 GB of VRAM. That level of VRAM usage isn't normal, but I seriously doubt we're going to see games using less VRAM as time goes on.
I think the point was why 12GB in a 3060 when the 3060ti, 3070 and 3080 have 8,8 and 10GB respectively.

I think the point was why 12GB in a 3060 when the 3060ti, 3070 and 3080 have 8,8 and 10GB respectively.
As already said before. GPUs aren't only used for gaming or mining. A 12GB 3060 would be perfect for the workstations at my work. Both for computation and visualization. You don't need 140 fps, you need to be able to fit in memory.

As already said before. GPUs aren't only used for gaming or mining. A 12GB 3060 would be perfect for the workstations at my work. Both for computation and visualization. You don't need 140 fps, you need to be able to fit in memory.
while I share a use case that benefits from high vram as well and experience OOM errors, I can't imagine nvidia making a 3060 with 12gb of vram with that in mind. The card is marketed for gaming, not productivity. It's just weird.

That being said, I will never pay a quadro premium. High vram geforce cards ftw, I just don't see why anyone would buy them besides you or me.

Just as an aside for people suggesting games will use more vram going forward: there is no way in hell a 3060 will be able to utilize 12gb of vram in a game with playable fps. Any game now or in the next few years while a 3060 is still relevant, will not have remotely high enough FPS with the settings that use high vram turned on on a lowe/mid tier card. If I'm wrong, I will eat an rtx 3060 shaped cookie.

while I share a use case that benefits from high vram as well and experience OOM errors, I can't imagine nvidia making a 3060 with 12gb of vram with that in mind. The card is marketed for gaming, not productivity. It's just weird.

That being said, I will never pay a quadro premium. High vram geforce cards ftw, I just don't see why anyone would buy them besides you or me.

Just as an aside for people suggesting games will use more vram going forward: there is no way in hell a 3060 will be able to utilize 12gb of vram in a game with playable fps. Any game now or in the next few years while a 3060 is still relevant, will not have remotely high enough FPS with the settings that use high vram turned on on a lowe/mid tier card. If I'm wrong, I will eat an rtx 3060 shaped cookie.
Well, the reason is that the casual kid will think that 12GB is twice as good as 6GB. I know I've been there, done that.

3060ti with 12GB of RAM is just stupid. Although, Nvidia is banking on the numbskulls who think more RAM = More raw performance.

3080ti however with 20GB of RAM is a good idea, and what it should have been to begin with.

Cause memory is one of the biggest thing marketing push as being important. It true with system memory too. So average person believes just like they do with TVs bigger is better.

Heh. More like miners have all of them.

Well we all knew a 3080ti was coming. Should of waited at this point. Still you have a card now. 3080ti will not be easy to come by next month.
Theres one huge difference, you can buy a 3090.
You'll be a lucky mofo to get a 3080ti within 4 months, probably longer.
I gave up waiting and snapped up a 3090 when stock appeared and have no regrets, enjoying the fuck out of it :D
Cyberpunk is awesome wiith it.

Glad to see this, but I have to wonder what differences it will have vs the 3090. Some hypothesize that it will generally be lesser overall by a relatively small amount and closer to the 3080 (save for where the larger 20gb of RAM is concerned). Others say that it will be close, perhaps even equal to the 3090 in terms of overall performance (having the same amount of shaders, cores etc) save for the time when the last 4gb of RAM makes a real difference. Still others guess that it could actually be MORE performant, with equal specs to the 3090 in terms of most hardware save for the RAM, but higher clocks or overall throughput.

Depending on which of these turns out to be accurate will affect the 3090's overall viability, but of course the big issue will be price. Most hypothesize it will be around $1000 for a reference version which, should it be closer to the 3090 than 3080 overall, will make it a massively better buy . The Asus ROG STRIX and EVGA FTW3 versions are likely to be more like $1200-1300, compared to the $1800 of the 3090, so that's a big savings. Competing in the $1000-1300 is the AMD 6900XT as well, which will no longer have such a commanding lead on VRAM as it did vs the 3080 and in truth will now be 4GB behind. Surely Nvidia will again focus on Raytracing, DLSS, their proprietary streaming/encoding etc... but I wonder if by the time of the 3080Ti launch AMD will have "caught up" in the optimization and implementations for these features.

In any event this card is sure to continue to sell out and likely be the same sort of constant shortage we see with other in-demand tech. We must give AMD credit for scaring the everloving fuck out of Nvidia to push them to release this so swiftly, but i do hope that the 6800XT and 6900XT (especially as optimization continues, hopefully supporting open standards and methodology ) compete very favorably vs the upcoming 3080 Ti as well in performance/features as well as price.

Reactions: erek
like this
Theres one huge difference, you can buy a 3090.
You'll be a lucky mofo to get a 3080ti within 4 months, probably longer.
I gave up waiting and snapped up a 3090 when stock appeared and have no regrets, enjoying the fuck out of it :D
Cyberpunk is awesome wiith it.
This. I honestly wanted the 3080 Ti to save a few Benjamins over the 3090 but fuck hardware hunting. I’m over it.

I’ll pay the premium to get likely the same (or slightly better) performance now with the 3090 than having to wait a couple months for the 3080 Ti to release and then wait a couple more months to get my hands on one.

With everything being out of stock - how exactly does it make sense from a business prospective to create more SKUs that offer only marginal improvements when you cant even make enough of the base products?

With everything being out of stock - how exactly does it make sense from a business prospective to create more SKUs that offer only marginal improvements when you cant even make enough of the base products?
Create even more hype, have more happy customers, sell it for longer and deny the competitor sales.
You might even be able to snag a 3080 once the ti is released.

Back