Asus Commando+2GPU+4x1Gb blue screen

HighYield

Gawd
This is a folding computer for the [H] and I posted over at the distributed computing forum but I probably should have posted here as this is memory related.

I fold on a pair of old Asus Commando (P965 chipset) motherboards and have recently started getting the dreaded blue screen since doing a ram exchange.

System 1 had a [email protected], 4x1GB Corsair DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 running at [email protected] (within spec) and a GTX260 gpu.

System 2 had a [email protected], 2x1GB of the same ram, and 2 8800GT cards, PCP&C 610watt PS, well cooled -no heat issues

Both boards have been folding just fine for about 10 months 24/7. I got some of the new "cheap" corsair 2x4Gb ram kits and loaded System 1 up with 4x2Gb. No problems at the same settings (although this ram runs at 1.8volts). I then took out the matched pairs that had been running in System 1 and put them in System 2 since they were known to work together and in the same type of motherboard at the same speed. Once I got back to folding all hell broke loose and it wouldn't fold long at all (<10 min) without getting the dreaded blue screen.

I pulled back the OC from 9x356 to 9x333 and increased the north bridge voltage from auto (1.40v according to the bios monitor) to 1.425v (1.488 according to the bios monitor). This gets about 2 hours of stability (at 100% CPU and 100% 2xGPU load) vs the 10 min of before.

The question is how much north bridge voltage can be applied safely to get this machine stable again or would that even be what I need to do? Do I need to overvolt something else: FSB termination voltage, memory voltage, DDRII channel ref voltage? I am most definitely not a memory expert so any help would be appreciated.

Back