ASUS Changes Warranty Exclusions in USA

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
As you are likely aware of, the FTC recently did away with all those "warranty void if sticker removed" warnings that have been declared illegal in the US. Most companies are updating their warranty statements to fall in line with this. ASUS has gone a step further, and I am sure many of you will rejoice. "The product has been tampered with, repaired and/or modified by non-authorized personnel," has been excluded from its warranty. Surely we have seen momentum behind the "right to repair" movement, and this would seem to address these concerns. Thanks cageymaru.

repairing something on your own and it voiding the warranty is one thing..
Actually, this IS the problem. The way the law is written, I can fix my own objects WITHOUT voiding the warranty. With a car, if I change out a wheel bearing and the engine throws a rod, you can't full stop void a warranty because someone fixed something.

Now, if in fixing it, I further break it, the manufacturer can decide to void the warranty on the parts damaged by my attempted repair. In the car example, I put on coil overs and they fail a week later, well, its my own damn fault, the car's manufacturer isn't doing anything for me.

In the case of John Deere, I am not sure how the law views it. They're following the letter of the law (you fixed your tractor and they didn't void the warranty) but not the spirit (by fixing your tractor, you've rendered it useless).

Actually, this IS the problem. The way the law is written, I can fix my own objects WITHOUT voiding the warranty. Now, if in fixing it, I further break it, the manufacturer can decide to void the warranty on the parts damaged by my attempted repair. But like with a car, if I change out a wheel bearing and the engine throws a rod, you can't full stop void a warranty because someone fixed something.

In the case of John Deere, I am not sure how the law views it. They're following the letter of the law (you fixed your tractor and they didn't void the warranty) but not the spirit (by fixing your tractor, you've rendered it useless).
John Deer views the computer code as proprietary (which I'd agree with) but make it so the only people that can get the required diagnostic tools to allow replacement parts are their service centers.

I've never been able to get Asus to fix anything, so I doubt this will help.

Heck, I couldn't even get them to send... or even SELL me a part that was missing from a motherboard box a couple years back. It was "impossible" until the owner of a popular website shamed them, then I had it overnight. (The Z97 boards had the wrong pin config for their Thunderbolt 2 cards, an no adapter was included with the card or the MB)

they don't need a sticker.

They just use super glue

When I had my phone screen replaced they said if they saw an aftermarket screen or any indication I had been in the phone my warranty was null and void.

so, with this new wording... do they even have a warranty anymore? they can just blame anything on the user just like they mostly do now.

So how do we get Gigabyte to follow this?

Their crappy customer service will just avoid you if you go as far as changing the thermal paste.

Back