ASUS CEO Resigns as Company Shifts Mobile Focus to Power Users

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Long-time ASUS CEO Jerry Shen has stepped down after 11 years, as his vision no longer correlates with the company’s new focus on gamers and power users rather than mobile devices. While Shen had worked hard to bring products such as the ZenBook and ZenFone to prominence, chairman Jonney Shih has opted to strengthen and solidify ASUS as a PC/gaming-oriented company. The ZenFone will, however, live on.

In a statement sent to Engadget, Shen announced that he will be off to run a new AIoT startup, iFast, as chairman and CEO, with its business targeting B2B applications. Despite his departure, Shen will still maintain a link with ASUS thanks to its 30-percent stake in his new venture -- perhaps a fitting gesture for its 25-year veteran. Shen added that he will "devote myself to assisting ASUS effectively transition into the AIoT industry."

Hmm they have more taste than I thought. I was thinking they would have used this opportunity to show some power motherboards.

Probably for the best, the competition for everyday use phones has got to be high.

And here I was planning on buying a Zenfone 5Z... hmm.

Well at least his new company is using most of the popular jargon: AIoT, just need to get blockchain somewhere in the name and all bases will be covered, maybe BCAIoT. ;)

Maybe they can fix their windows software because it sucks rotten goat cheese from a mile away.....Not even Aura is working properly...

This could be a positive development, or it could be just another "Let's RGB LED EVERYTHING!" move, like MSI.

Judging by how this market keeps going, I'm betting on the latter. Got to impress the children who like shiny objects on their "gaming builds".

I wish anyone who builds "gaming builds" would just remove themselves from the market. They are just ruining it for everyone else. A PC by it's very definition is a general purpose computing platform. If you want a "gaming system" go buy a stupid console.

I should say, I bought a used Zenfone 2 off of Swappa for less than $100 back in December 2015 to use as a disposable phone for when I traveled in Brazil (cellphone theft in the streets is rampant there).

For the price I expected it to be shitty, but it was actually a pretty decent phone. I wound up liking it more than my much more expensive daily driver, a Motorola Droid Turbo at the time. I eventually wound up giving it to my Brazilian future mother in law for her to use instead of her ancient dying Samsung. She used it for almost 3 years until I recently replaced it for her.

Last edited:
It not that deversification is a bad thing, especially when you have a company as large as theirs.

Personally I have always had a good relationship with them and never really ran into problems.

Professionally, other than once when we had a shipment of an entire pallet of 300$-500$ ROG motherboards with all screwed up lga pins that were bent, missing, and such, this was around the time when Foxxcon was having major issues with sabotaged quality control, and working conditions, they stated we could pay to have the mobos repaired and insisted their quality control was perfect, 4 days and a couple flights, and an investigation later and I got an apology and a discount on the next order and a week later perfect mobos delivered.

Such is the world of hardware though.....

I should say, I bought a used Zenfone 2 off of swappa for less than $100 back in december 2015 to use as a disposabke phone for wheb I traveled in Brazil (cellphone theft in the streetsis rampant there).

I had a zenfone 2 (with the atom cpu) for 3 or 4 years. Only changed phone because it had a very weak battery after all that time and while it was starting to feel a bit slow it was still good enough for me.

A friend bought the zenfone 2 laser because he liked mine and it died shortly after the warranty was up.

Just bought an Asus mobo for my 9th build. The last one is almost 8 years old and is a testament to Intel's strangle hold on the market.

I bought a ROG Strix B 450-F for my Ryzen processor. Its been a while. ;)

As someone who has a Asus Zenfone 2, I'm OK with this cause my phone sucks. It barely lasts a day and clearly needs some RGB lights to drain the battery faster.

I hope for the best for him and his new venture. I'm also happy that Asus is continuing their support of the PC gaming community. They've become an integral part of my rigs.

This could be a positive development, or it could be just another "Let's RGB LED EVERYTHING!" move, like MSI.

Judging by how this market keeps going, I'm betting on the latter. Got to impress the children who like shiny objects on their "gaming builds".

I wish anyone who builds "gaming builds" would just remove themselves from the market. They are just ruining it for everyone else. A PC by it's very definition is a general purpose computing platform. If you want a "gaming system" go buy a stupid console.

I absolutely love my rgb leds because I can’t really commit to a single colour. The flashing suit, though. My god. Also it’s colour coordinated to the rest of the leds in my house lmao.

I absolutely love my rgb leds because I can’t really commit to a single colour. The flashing suit, though. My god. Also it’s colour coordinated to the rest of the leds in my house lmao.

I don't see the point of having lighting in an omouter at all, regardless of the color. I don't even see the point of having cases with windows.

The ideal PC is one that is neither seen nor heard. It's what is displayed on screen that is important.

I don't see the point of having lighting in an omouter at all, regardless of the color. I don't even see the point of having cases with windows.

The ideal PC is one that is neither seen nor heard. It's what is displayed on screen that is important.
It’s a hobby. Just like every hobby, it is just something to do that brings pride and joy in a minor, controllable accomplishment.

It doesn’t need to make any more sense than a model airplane, a fish tank, a riced out honda...you name it. It’s healthy to have a hobby. Decking out their gaming PC because they can, happens to be one of theirs.

LOL! Crusade against those who build computers for gaming, now I have seen everything! These is nothing wrong with doing the RGB LED stuff and can be tastefully done and look good, well performing at the same time. How about you speak of the poor Asus RMA experience that quite a few do have.

I bought this and like how everything looks inside: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811861001 I do not have any lighting in this one though because the computer runs 24/7 in the living room.

Hahah what? Go buy a prebuilt HP or a chrome book if you want a general purpose computer.

LOL! Crusade against those who build computers for gaming, now I have seen everything! These is nothing wrong with doing the RGB LED stuff and can be tastefully done and look good, well performing at the same time. How about you speak of the poor Asus RMA experience that quite a few do have.

Not against those who build computers for gaming. Gaming is one of the many applications of a computer. I'm opposed to those who see their PC as only a gaming platform.

There is much much more to being a PC hardware enthusiast than just "gaming".

Yes like a workstation which isn’t general computing.

Imagine learning how to build custom PCs and researching parts and all that just for general computing, it’s like learning how to be a gourmet cook and only microwaving frozen food.

and in this same thread a bit later on:

uh hu

Nice job selective quoting.

I've seen kids who all they care about is games and that's why they build a PC. This is kind of what I have an issue with.

When I got into this hobby it was all about the love of kick-ass PC hardware. The games were almost an afterthought.

I've been generally happy with my ASUS motherboards, and their video cards are fine.

I have been quite unhappy with their mobile products and generally displeased with their laptops. While they generally have decent styling and decent price to feature ratios, Their durability is a mixed bag, and their parts supply chain vs SKUs offered and undocumented differentiation of said skus is maddening.

Anything that results in less of the latter is good.

I've been using almost nothing but Asus Motherboards in my builds since the late 1990's

The guy I worked for back then bought his whitebox PC's from a local PC store and the vast majority of them where Asus P2B Slot 1 boards and I've been sold on them since then.

I just started my new PC build with a Asus ROG Strix Z390-I board.

Back