Asus Breaks Into PC Makers' Top 5

HardOCP News

[H] News
Congrats to the crew at ASUS, it looks like the company is now number five on the list of the top PC manufactures around the world.

For the second quarter of 2010, Asus shipped 4.3 million PCs, good enough for 5.3 percent of the worldwide market, according to IDC. The Taiwanese manufacturer's PC shipments grew 84 percent during the quarter, allowing it to pull into a dead-even tie with Toshiba for the very first time: the two are tied, that is, for fifth-most PC sales during the quarter behind usual suspects Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Acer, and Lenovo.

Awesome. Grats to Asus on that. Now the only problem, I hope they don't start becoming super lax with support, like many other gigantic OEMs.

Awesome. Grats to Asus on that. Now the only problem, I hope they don't start becoming super lax with support, like many other gigantic OEMs.

I think it's been the opposite, they where super aggressive trying to pump out models and gain market share and they seemed to improved their support but they still need to pump harder. My mom knows the Asus name now and if I were to of asked her that question a year or two ago she'd of had no clue.

Dell is hands down the easiest OEM to deal with in my opinion. I dont know about that on a consumer level though.

Cool, Asus looks to have some of the best Windows slate Tablet PCs on the way and hopefully they actually push them through retail.

From what you read, it looks like the support already went down from what it was, perhaps they can improve it.

Good, perhaps they will give the age old forums as update also then.

Not surprising. My girlfriend bought an Asus laptop. I referred my dad to buy an Asus laptop and now im looking at one of the gaming series for myself. All of them are high quality. Ive used HP, Toshiba, and Dell where all of them broke within a year or two.

I think it's been the opposite, they where super aggressive trying to pump out models and gain market share and they seemed to improved their support but they still need to pump harder. My mom knows the Asus name now and if I were to of asked her that question a year or two ago she'd of had no clue.

Dell is hands down the easiest OEM to deal with in my opinion. I dont know about that on a consumer level though.

Dell is a super headache if you deal with consumer level support. Their enterprise support is awesome. Especially the Gold level support.

I don't know much about Asus support for like their PCs and laptops. The support I got for my GPU was fine. Not great, but not bad.

From what you read, it looks like the support already went down from what it was, perhaps they can improve it.

I remember reading an old article about their support. How they pretty much had a small amount of support and they weren't expecting such a huge influx of new customers when they released their EeePC.

I haven't seen any new articles about if they increase support personnel or well, much of anything on that side. I'd assume they did, as I never read about any kind of major grievances.

Asus was a good brand.. but wow, lately, order a laptop..breaks in 4 weeks.. get another of "equal value" and that fails on day 2...now on 3rd machine :(((( In fact, so many brands seem to fail more than say even 8 years ago. china trend?

I've only called ASUS support once a few months ago, they picked up in less than a minute, and I talked to a perfect English speaking American who wasn't reading from a prompt. It was a nice experience.

Asus seemed to have really picked up when they introduced the EEE PC, it arguably started the netbook trend singlehandedly.

Asus was a good brand.. but wow, lately, order a laptop..breaks in 4 weeks.. get another of "equal value" and that fails on day 2...now on 3rd machine :(((( In fact, so many brands seem to fail more than say even 8 years ago. china trend?

I don't think it's a China trend. Our stuff was built there 8 years ago. I think it's simply that everything we make is just complicated and it's becoming increasingly harder to QC in an appropriate amount of time. Not to mention, R&D costs have gone up significantly since then.

congrats to them they realy deserve it their products have been top notch in my opinion

Yay, I love ASUS. They've powered my computers ever since my first S939 build. I tend to gravitate toward them when buying other things as well. :cool:

Yay, I love ASUS. They've powered my computers ever since my first S939 build. I tend to gravitate toward them when buying other things as well. :cool:

I pretty much only buy Asus boards, since the disappearance of Abit.

I've been happy with everything I've ever bought from them. From motherboards to DVD drives to LCD monitors, all their stuff has been good to me.

Lately I've been recommending Asus over other laptop manufacturers. They all have to be decrapified but for hardware, Asus gets my vote. The G73 must have also gained them a lot of positive attention despite a few issues. They seem to be striking a good value in price, performance and quality.

My ASUS A8J is still going strong after 4 years of abuse. My best friends fiance bought an Acer which died in a year so I had her buy a lower-end Asus and she loves it. Going on two years and it is running great still. Asus quality and polish is apparent in all their products now just not motherboards or video cards. My next purchase is hopefully going to be 3 ASUS monitors for multi-display gaming. I have yet to use one of their LCDs, except for the one in my laptop which I love.

My next purchase is hopefully going to be 3 ASUS monitors for multi-display gaming. I have yet to use one of their LCDs, except for the one in my laptop which I love.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm using an Asus 25.5" monitor and it's awesome. A bit too big for my tastes, but not a monitor problem.

The only issue I've had with the monitor is the composite connection. I think they threw it in the monitor, but didn't actually hook it up to anything. I didn't bother sending the monitor in, as I didn't plan to use it and after 2 years, still haven't used it. I just test everything for functionality, when I get the product in. That way I can immediately resolve the problem, if I warrant it needing one.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm using an Asus 25.5" monitor and it's awesome. A bit too big for my tastes, but not a monitor problem.

The only issue I've had with the monitor is the composite connection. I think they threw it in the monitor, but didn't actually hook it up to anything. I didn't bother sending the monitor in, as I didn't plan to use it and after 2 years, still haven't used it. I just test everything for functionality, when I get the product in. That way I can immediately resolve the problem, if I warrant it needing one.

or you can just not use the archaic technology and plug in a HDMI cable. www.monoprice.com they're so cheap there that it makes no sense not to use one. Whatever device you're using that has composite most likely has HDMI as well (except 360's I think, right? I forget).

My brother has 2 ASUS monitors that are 24" and they're spectacular.

i have to wonder where the sales are coming from.

i know newegg sells them as does best buy... probably frys (none around here...)

be really curious to see where that market share is coming from.

or you can just not use the archaic technology and plug in a HDMI cable. www.monoprice.com they're so cheap there that it makes no sense not to use one. Whatever device you're using that has composite most likely has HDMI as well (except 360's I think, right? I forget).

My brother has 2 ASUS monitors that are 24" and they're spectacular.

Yes, I can just somehow stop using the archaic technology on my PS2. I'll just magically make the composite connection into HDMI.

And yes, I do still use composite. It's connected up to my HDTV, as the PS3 doesn't support specialized PS2 controllers. I play Beatmania IIDX (new PS2 game comes out every year) and I can't deal with the input lag from the USB to PS2 controller converters.

Also, I choose not to use HDMI, simply cause I don't feel like running two seperate cables. My PS3 uses component. 3 colors to the TV, 2 audio to the receiver. I do the same with my 360. I think HDMI is a retarded connection, considering TV speakers are usually shit and you end up having to run completely different wiring for audio anyways.

Yay ASUS! I love using their stuff in my custom builds, love working with their built machines too.

Back