ASUS Anti Surge Help and Advice

Wickeke

n00b
I have two things i could use your guys helps with.

First, the ASUS Anti Surge protection has triggered a few times in the past couple weeks. This only seems to happen when i am playing CSGO. I have looked for trouble shooting advice, but the only thing i could really find said to go into the BIOS and turn it off. Not a big fan of this option. I use the PC for work (working from home) and gaming. Mostly CSGO and occasionally WOW (don't judge) . Is there anyway to trouble shoot this problem, or do you just have to start replacing parts and hope i get lucky. I have stopped playing CS until I can figure this out.

Second, if I have a budget of $1,000 (might be able to push it to 1,500 depending on the wife), is any of this worth keeping or should i just start over? And what should i focus on upgrading. Stability is key, i need this for work.

Thanks for any guidance.

Here is the current set up:
SSD: OCZ-AGILITY3 240gb
HD Storage: 9VTI6L-515 - Seagate 1TB
Video: AMD Radeon R9 Fury
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz
MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Power: Corsair HX 750W Pro Series
Case: I don't remember and cant find the module
Monitor: Asus MG248

Ha, building a new gaming PC with a budget of $1500, that is a good joke. Maybe 3-4x that number and you'll have yourself the video card, and only the video card. Guard that R9 Fury with your life and don't let it go under any circumstance, you'll deeply regret it otherwise.

According to random internet persons with the same problem with the "ASUS Anti-Surge Protection", it can quite literally be anything that causes it. Some people have stated that a flaky PSU can cause it, or bad connections. You can try to reseat the ATX power connector and other power connectors in the system. You may want to pull them out completely and examine the insides of the connector to check for potential "melty moments" where any of the pins may have gotten hot and failed. Next thing to try would be replacing the PSU with a new one and see if that solves the issue.

If you want to go the new system route, build everything around your R9 Fury, because video cards are unobtanium unless you are very lucky and have very deep pockets. CPUs also have spotty availability and are subject to scalping, especially AMD parts. I'd recommend something like an i9-10850k if you can find it on sale and run with it, it's what I did when I couldn't find a Ryzen 5000 series CPU for months at anywhere near MSRP.

OK opened the case up, didn't see anything that looked "melty", charred, or burnt. Reset all the power connectors, fired it back up. Ran a couple comp games in CSGO and no issue. So if it does happen again I will try replacing the power supply, I think i have an old one i can swap out.

As for the upgrade, i think i will hold off for a while, as long as I can keep this set up running. I look up the CPU i am currently running and it had a price tag of ~$470. I don't think it cost me that much when i bought it years ago.

Thanks for the help.

The tray price for the i7-2600K in 2011 when it was launched was only $317, which probably meant $340ish retail. You can currently get them for $70-90 used on ebay.

That PSU might still be under warranty if you find it to be faulty. You might want to think about getting a new SSD, not related to your problem but would easily transfer to a new build should you decide to go that route.

since its an old system, test/replace the cmos battery. ive seen them cause flakiness when dying. then if you have a spare psu try that next.
edit: and you know you can post here more that once a year, right?! ;)

Last edited:
Back