ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Just had my PG278Q delivered. Got it off of Amazon in advance of my new build which will be skylake based and have dual 980 Ti's.

I was nervous too reading to issues people were having. It was between this monitor and the PG279Q and I ultimately decided on the TN panel because I did not want to deal with ips glow and want to keep the response time as low as possible for fps gaming. I am replacing my Asus VG248QE.

No dead pixels which was a relief.

I calibrated it based on the TFTCentral settings and icc profile. I do have some backlight bleeding along the frame...mostly along the bottom. After calibration it is barely noticeable but when I first set it up at the stock 80 brightness you could see it pretty clearly. I game in a darkened room with bias lighting behind my monitor.

It looks great though so far. I'm going to use it and see if I notice the blb at all during my normal routine. But I haven't so far and right now I am very happy with it.

Wow, this is quite a coincidence. The rocket league patch that steam just pushed to me seems to have fixed the issue.

From the patch notes:
- (PC) Fixed an issue with how the Max FPS slider capped frame rate

And btw, I can see a bit of pixel inversion during this animation but I doubt I'd return the monitor over it. I just got this monitor yesterday, so I may look for pixel inversion in other games to see if it bothers me.

Yeah with the new patch I maxed out my framerate and I don't notice the inversion any more. I'm also sitting a bit further back from my monitor now.

Just had my PG278Q delivered. Got it off of Amazon in advance of my new build which will be skylake based and have dual 980 Ti's.

I was nervous too reading to issues people were having. It was between this monitor and the PG279Q and I ultimately decided on the TN panel because I did not want to deal with ips glow and want to keep the response time as low as possible for fps gaming. I am replacing my Asus VG248QE.

No dead pixels which was a relief.

I calibrated it based on the TFTCentral settings and icc profile. I do have some backlight bleeding along the frame...mostly along the bottom. After calibration it is barely noticeable but when I first set it up at the stock 80 brightness you could see it pretty clearly. I game in a darkened room with bias lighting behind my monitor.

It looks great though so far. I'm going to use it and see if I notice the blb at all during my normal routine. But I haven't so far and right now I am very happy with it.

I've gone one step further and reduced the Desktop Gamma within the nVidia Control Panel to 0.75. I think that it further helps the looks of the displayed images. I also invested in an Antec bias light LED strip that I put on the back of the monitor. This is quite honestly the best thing that I've done as it's greatly help with eye strain and overall contrast while I play games.

Following up on my ULMB issue, it seems I have figured out what is the cause. If I shutdown my computer with G-Sync globally enabled so that it is on when my computer starts up, ULMB will not function properly. However, if G-Sync is disabled in the same situation, ULMB will work properly even after enabling G-Sync after the computer has booted. This is was consistent across the 361.75 and 361.91 driver. This issue doesn't happen with the 359.06 driver, so it appears to be a bug with the newest drivers on my particular configuration.

Well, my monitor all of a sudden just developed the blurry, washed out text, some flickering of certain horizontal lines and tinting on white icons. Already tried to reset the monitor, reinstall drivers (yes, using DDU), new displayport cable, deactivating Gsysnc, SLI. Tried using ULMB too. Nothing works. Very frustrated. Too late to go through Amazon (where I bought it in February)...have to go through ASUS RMA process.

It had been working great, then it just...went bad. I was just reading a web page.

it is the panel itself that is going bad. Nothing you do will help. First rma you ate eligible for an advanced rma if you can stand to have a $799 hold on your credit card during the process.

on my third monitor now (second rma monitor) but I would say in 6-8 months I'll be at it again if history keeps repeating itself

it is the panel itself that is going bad. Nothing you do will help. First rma you ate eligible for an advanced rma if you can stand to have a $799 hold on your credit card during the process.

on my third monitor now (second rma monitor) but I would say in 6-8 months I'll be at it again if history keeps repeating itself

I'm pretty bummed. From what I've been reading this is not an uncommon problem. It also sounds like the RMA process is...not great. I'm looking to buy another 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor because if I get through the RMA process I think I'm just going to sell the repaired panel.

The other annoying thing is I bought monitor arms for my desk and threw away the original stand for the PG278Q.

I'm in the market for a good gaming monitor in the 24"-27" range and reading about the problems people are having is not making my choice very easy...

I'm in the market for a good gaming monitor in the 24"-27" range and reading about the problems people are having is not making my choice very easy...

I would get the Dell people say it's washed out but it can't be as bad as my XL BenQ :blackalien:
I use my ASUS only for gaming it's turned off most of the time ... I use it Two days a week at most so maybe it will last a Decade.

Amazon product ASIN B0149QBOF0

I would get the Dell people say it's washed out but it can't be as bad as my XL BenQ :blackalien:
I use my ASUS only for gaming it's turned off most of the time ... I use it Two days a week at most so maybe it will last a Decade.

Amazon product ASIN B0149QBOF0

I actually just bought the Dell as a replacement. After calibration it is supposed to be just fine. I get the sense that build quality is more consistent than other manufacturers.

Anyone running one of these with a GTX 1080 or Titan X Pascal single card? What kind of experience are you getting? Are the 1080 or Titan X Pascal finally the single card solution that can maximize the experience on this monitor?

Anyone running one of these with a GTX 1080 or Titan X Pascal single card? What kind of experience are you getting? Are the 1080 or Titan X Pascal finally the single card solution that can maximize the experience on this monitor?

I'm running two 1080's in SLI now, but I briefly ran a single 1080 card with my PG278Q. I don't play a wide array of games but Overwatch, Doom, and World of Warcraft ran great. I had to reduce a little of the eye candy in Doom, but overall, it still looked good and ran well.

Last edited:

Coming up on my third year with this monitor and it's still running as well as the first day I hooked it up.
The beauty of G-Sync is that you don't have to be pushing 144 FPS constantly to "maximize the experience." I've now been through a pair of GTX 970, a GTX Titan X, and now Titan X with this monitor and the experience hasn't been any different across all three configurations.

Coming up on my third year with this monitor and it's still running as well as the first day I hooked it up.

The beauty of G-Sync is that you don't have to be pushing 144 FPS constantly to "maximize the experience." I've now been through a pair of GTX 970, a GTX Titan X, and now Titan X with this monitor and the experience hasn't been any different across all three configurations.

I've had mine for years now as well. I can also vouch for the miracle of G-Sync because as fate would have it, I've been powering it with a 670 this whole time and have still had a pleasant experience. I nearly bit on the 980ti, but then got too busy with life again and viola, 1000 series is here. For my next GPU upgrade (which is long overdue) I am trying to achieve the perfect single card experience that elvn and others in this thread have alluded to: max or near max settings, 100 fps, etc)

As described in this post:
ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Last edited:
well shit. my PG278Q just started the dreaded blurry text and flickering. i'm just beginning to search for solutions, so far lowering down to 100Hz has fixed it (but i gather this is just a temporary fix). anyone have any experience with this?

well shit. my PG278Q just started the dreaded blurry text and flickering. i'm just beginning to search for solutions, so far lowering down to 100Hz has fixed it (but i gather this is just a temporary fix). anyone have any experience with this?

Mine recently started blinking off and on momentarily. Dropped it to 120 hz and hope it holds else I'll open a warrranty request with ASUS...ugh.

I have 3 of these in triple screen, got them 2 years ago. So far, no blinking or flickering but you guys are getting me scared.

I've had one since launch and no issues yet, but I keep it running at 120 hz on the desktop. Worst comes to worst they can cross-ship a new one for you with a credit card on file.

I bought one about 18 months ago. I have no regrets. It's been my favorite monitor purchase in many, many years.

Back