ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

For those interested, I've posted my comparison of the new Dell S2716DG with the ASUS PG278Q Swift:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1554247/...copper-tube-gaming-system/80_20#post_24605216

Thanks for the in-depth comparison! I recently bought a Dell u3415w to replace my Asus VG236h. The colors and black level/shadow detail have always bothered me on the VG236h and I was enamored by the 21:9 aspect ratio. The Dell is certainly an awesome monitor, but I've apparently become spoiled by a high refresh rate. I'd love to get one of the newer high-framerate IPS monitors, but the QC issues with the new AUO panels are scaring me away.

With all that said - do you think I'd be happy with the PG278Q? Chase is offering 10% cash back on Amazon purchases right now, so I'm tempted to give it a shot. Does anyone know how much Amazon charges for returns on monitors (assuming they are not defective)?.

Edit: I also noticed that Newegg has the monitor for a VERY nice price. How is their return policy on monitors?

I have to say, this thread had me very worried about QC issues, but so far, no dead pixels, no issues at all.

I just received a PG278Q yesterday and I don't see any obvious issues with mine either but I only played around with it for a short time. Backlight bleed is a non-issue on it but to be honest I haven't purchased a LCD monitor in 2-3 years so I don't exactly know what is considered "good" or "bad" currently. I think it looks fine personally.

I don't see anything like dirt/dust/smudges under the screen and I didn't find any dead/stuck pixels using the online testers I found - are there any particular problems I should be looking for besides dead/stuck?

What is the best way to handle the OUT OF RANGE bug I read about it on the Asus forums someone said uninstall the Nvidia drivers then reinstall while disconnecting tne monitor.

If I turn off Gsync the monitor is just fine and I won't get the Out of Range bug...

I've had my PG278Q for around a month now. I generally love the monitor, but there is one nagging issue that is driving me crazy. During fast motion with lighter colors I notice vertical lines on the screen. It's almost like a screen door effect but it's only vertical. There's a huge thread on the ASUS forums about this:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...nes-Pixel-Inversion-Inversion-Artifacts/page8

I am able to reproduce the issue on a near-static screen within Rocket League by viewing the plasma rocket trail. An individual on YouTube took a video from WoW showing the issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm7lNyv-frk&feature=youtu.be

My question is this - do all of PG278Qs suffer from this issue? If so, do all of the other 27" WQHD monitors suffer from it as well? It's my understanding they all use the same AU Optronics panel. If so, that's highly disappointing. I don't want an IPS monitor for my gaming monitor due to IPS glow and the general QC issues of the high-refresh rate IPS monitors, but this vertical line issue is driving me insane. I'm sure most users would never notice it but it stands out like crazy to me.

I still have a week or so left in my return window at Best Buy, so I'm trying to decide if I just want to try and ignore the vertical lines or if I want to return the monitor and continue gaming on my VG236H until something better comes along.

I've had my PG278Q for around a month now. I generally love the monitor, but there is one nagging issue that is driving me crazy. During fast motion with lighter colors I notice vertical lines on the screen. It's almost like a screen door effect but it's only vertical. There's a huge thread on the ASUS forums about this:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...nes-Pixel-Inversion-Inversion-Artifacts/page8

I am able to reproduce the issue on a near-static screen within Rocket League by viewing the plasma rocket trail. An individual on YouTube took a video from WoW showing the issue:

My question is this - do all of PG278Qs suffer from this issue? If so, do all of the other 27" WQHD monitors suffer from it as well? It's my understanding they all use the same AU Optronics panel. If so, that's highly disappointing. I don't want an IPS monitor for my gaming monitor due to IPS glow and the general QC issues of the high-refresh rate IPS monitors, but this vertical line issue is driving me insane. I'm sure most users would never notice it but it stands out like crazy to me.

I still have a week or so left in my return window at Best Buy, so I'm trying to decide if I just want to try and ignore the vertical lines or if I want to return the monitor and continue gaming on my VG236H until something better comes along.

I've only seen this for a fraction of a second, maybe 5 times in total since I bought the monitor over 6 months ago. I've had a second PG278Q for over a year which only has dead pixels but no other issues.

I primarily play WoW and BF4 on my Swift, and I've never seen pixel mapping issues with fast movement on my monitor. I've had it for over a year now, no issues outside an occasional lazy green pixel that will go away if I gently rub the screen.

Hmm sounds like I may need to just get a replacement then. I have a dead pixel that I hardly ever notice, but I notice the issue with the vertical lines on a daily basis.

Hmm sounds like I may need to just get a replacement then. I have a dead pixel that I hardly ever notice, but I notice the issue with the vertical lines on a daily basis.

So I wanted to test on my Swift after looking at a few YouTube videos. So I went out to Zangarmarsh and had Blacksting hit me while I zoomed it on it's wings. I didn't observe any pixel shift vertical lines whatsoever.

So I wanted to test on my Swift after looking at a few YouTube videos. So I went out to Zangarmarsh and had Blacksting hit me while I zoomed it on it's wings. I didn't observe any pixel shift vertical lines whatsoever.

I will try to take a picture and/or video to show exactly what I see when I play RL. I'm still thinking I'm going to have Best Buy replace the monitor. I'm a bit nervous though because my current Swift has very minimal backlight bleed.

Here's a video showing the issue in Rocket League:
https://youtu.be/0TICDvxLNnI

After comparing the Swift with my TN panel it appears the issue is worse than I thought. There is something weird with how the Swift displays transparencies.

Here's a picture from the ROG Swift:

And here's a picture from my Dell Ultrasharp:

The Swift is just straight up failing to display the transparency properly and shows two "blocks" of rocket trail. Is this a defect in the panel or is it inherent with the technology? It almost seems like it may be a driver issue or something similar.

That certainly looks better than mine. I guess it's time to try an exchange. Thanks for posting.

I just got one of these today and stock settings were 80/50 100/100/100 mfg date July 2015.

What are your monitor settings and or grfx settings? Stock gamma?

I just got one of these today and stock settings were 80/50 100/100/100 mfg date July 2015.

What are your monitor settings and or grfx settings? Stock gamma?

I use the ICC Profile from TFTCentral and the following settings:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

Brightness: 20
Contrast: 50
R: 100
G: 100
B: 100
Preset Mode: User Mode

I also set my Desktop Gamma to 0.75 thru the nVidia Control Panel.

Those settings look amazing to me, but you might need to play with it to get your preferred viewing.

Had to do an exchange due to heavy backlight bleeding. Now this one i can see the matte finish on it. I give up.

Turned on my monitor this morning.......

File/folder text, browser bookmarks, and some websites text looks "boldish fuzzy"...if that makes sense.
What gives? Games run fine though.

Everything was fine yesterday.

I have tried remove/reinstall;

-drivers
-dp cable from both ends
-power cable
-tried 2nd card

Bought in september (April 2015 model)

I think i had this issue before and it got fixed...just to remember how.

When i hit the the quick switch button to change monitor Hz and a folder is behind it, the white line separating Turbo and monitor speed is green. When I remove the open folder, its white. Same goes for the browser scroll bar. Also, on the bottom tray icon's, they the same slight green hue to them as what i described above.

Any ideas?

Turned on my monitor this morning.......

File/folder text, browser bookmarks, and some websites text looks "boldish fuzzy"...if that makes sense.
What gives? Games run fine though.

Everything was fine yesterday.

I have tried remove/reinstall;

-drivers
-dp cable from both ends
-power cable
-tried 2nd card

Bought in september (April 2015 model)

I think i had this issue before and it got fixed...just to remember how.

When i hit the the quick switch button to change monitor Hz and a folder is behind it, the white line separating Turbo and monitor speed is green. When I remove the open folder, its white. Same goes for the browser scroll bar. Also, on the bottom tray icon's, they the same slight green hue to them as what i described above.

Any ideas?

From what I've read, similar stuff happens when the G-sync module starts getting overheated and malfunctioning. Try switching down to 120 hz for a while. If it continues get it replaced under warranty.

From what I've read, similar stuff happens when the G-sync module starts getting overheated and malfunctioning. Try switching down to 120 hz for a while. If it continues get it replaced under warranty.

Will do...

Here is a pic though..

It is clean around the Slickdeals bookmark...then begins to get blurry after 1/3 of the screen passes.

Oh yea, thats the other thing. Switching the Hz, via button, takes longer than before. (i.e. multiple clicks to get it to work)

Even if i dont use Gsync...shit gets hot?...Never used it once. Disabled right away since I bought the monitor.

@120hz i noticed the text on the right side, the bad side it seems, flickering.

Last edited:
Will do...

Here is a pic though..

It is clean around the Slickdeals bookmark...then begins to get blurry after 1/3 of the screen passes.

Oh yea, thats the other thing. Switching the Hz, via button, takes longer than before. (i.e. multiple clicks to get it to work)

Even if i dont use Gsync...shit gets hot?...Never used it once. Disabled right away since I bought the monitor.

@120hz i noticed the text on the right side, the bad side it seems, flickering.

From what I understand the G-sync board is still what controls the panel in these monitors regardless of whether you use any of the added features, and they have been defective in this manner. Mine hasn't really ever had it that bad, but I have noticed text corruption on a few occasions in desktop mode (went away within a day, or however long I took to cycle it off and on again). I've been running mine in 120 hz on the desktop all this while. If it won't go away, you'll probably have to get a new one. They do free cross-shipping if you give them a credit card to charge if they don't receive the return.

I've had mine since October 2014 and haven't had any issues. I run it at 120 Hz all the time on the desktop and 144 Hz G-Sync in games.

If it won't go away, you'll probably have to get a new one. They do free cross-shipping if you give them a credit card to charge if they don't receive the return.

Yea, i believe ive seen it before.... A month or two after i bought it, but it went away then.

I submitted a tech inquiry, for the record, with asus last night. Waiting on a response to reply what i have tried to resolve the issue, then will probably submit a ticket for rma.

Ive fully shut my pc down since then even though ive always had either my monitor on standby or turned off with the pc running.

I opened a 3rd PG278Q yesterday and it has a perfect panel. So far that's 2/3 perfect and 1 with a lot of dead pixels.

Well I'm sad to report my first issue with this monitor. ULMB has stopped functioning. Going into the display menu and enabling ULMB now actually makes the screen brighter, and adjusting the pulse width doesn't change anything. In other words the backlight appears to be stuck on constant voltage. G-Sync still works fine, image quality is still good, and every static refresh rate available is functional (60, 85, 100, 120, and 144 Hz). I was thinking about rolling the NVIDIA drivers back since I just updated to the latest one, but I think this is purely a hardware issue with the monitor.

Well I'm sad to report my first issue with this monitor. ULMB has stopped functioning. Going into the display menu and enabling ULMB now actually makes the screen brighter, and adjusting the pulse width doesn't change anything. In other words the backlight appears to be stuck on constant voltage. G-Sync still works fine, image quality is still good, and every static refresh rate available is functional (60, 85, 100, 120, and 144 Hz). I was thinking about rolling the NVIDIA drivers back since I just updated to the latest one, but I think this is purely a hardware issue with the monitor.

Have you tried turning it off and unplugging it for a few minutes to "reset" it? The drivers are also an odd coincidence, if at all. Whatever it is, your failure mode is an unusual one. Good luck sorting it out.

Have you tried turning it off and unplugging it for a few minutes to "reset" it? The drivers are also an odd coincidence, if at all. Whatever it is, your failure mode is an unusual one. Good luck sorting it out.
Thanks, I'll try that tonight. After work yesterday I just wanted to settle in and play some vidya and not worry about it. I don't use ULMB that often, but it was kind of a punch in the gut when I saw it wasn't working.

I had the exact same problem. It would go into ULMB mode and 100% brightness but not vary the pulse width. It's a driver issue. It doesn't work reliably for anyone anymore. After messing with the settings repeatedly it started working on the desktop. I'm not sure what combination of settings changes makes it start working. I always use G-SYNC so it doesn't matter to me.

I had the exact same problem. It would go into ULMB mode and 100% brightness but not vary the pulse width. It's a driver issue. It doesn't work reliably for anyone anymore. After messing with the settings repeatedly it started working on the desktop. I'm not sure what combination of settings changes makes it start working. I always use G-SYNC so it doesn't matter to me.

Which driver are you on? I'm not having any problems with it, but I'm still on the driver prior to the one for Tomb Raider. Try disabling G-sync completely, too, as it is oftentimes enabled on the desktop.

Which driver are you on? I'm not having any problems with it, but I'm still on the driver prior to the one for Tomb Raider. Try disabling G-sync completely, too, as it is oftentimes enabled on the desktop.
I just updated to 361.75 from 359.06 last week. You can't even activate ULMB if G-Sync is active; the option in the OSD is greyed out when it is. The issue is ULMB does not pulse the backlight when you turn it on.

Going to try the power cycle first. If that doesn't work I'll roll back the driver to 359.06 since I never had any issues with those.

I just updated to 361.75 from 359.06 last week. You can't even activate ULMB if G-Sync is active; the option in the OSD is greyed out when it is. The issue is ULMB does not pulse the backlight when you turn it on.

Going to try the power cycle first. If that doesn't work I'll roll back the driver to 359.06 since I never had any issues with those.

I was thinking the new drivers might have made it so you can enable ULMB even when G-sync is on, which wouldn't work too well, of course. New drivers may still be making things screwy, but at least you know it's likely not a hardware issue.

I'm only talking about the global settings and not application specific settings. Right now on the latest drivers, it seems to work okay. I just need to change it to 120 Hz & ULMB mode and it works on the desktop. It never worked like this for the last 2 months. The global G-SYNC checkbox is always enabled and I don't disable it.

Last edited:
Looks like it might be a driver issue. After initially turning on my computer after work last night it was working again. But after playing some Dark Souls for a couple hours ULMB wasn't working anymore. I'll see what happens after rolling back the drivers. And yes, I do globally disable G-Sync whenever I want to use ULMB.

Here's a video showing the issue in Rocket League:
https://youtu.be/0TICDvxLNnI

After comparing the Swift with my TN panel it appears the issue is worse than I thought. There is something weird with how the Swift displays transparencies.

Here's a picture from the ROG Swift:

And here's a picture from my Dell Ultrasharp:

The Swift is just straight up failing to display the transparency properly and shows two "blocks" of rocket trail. Is this a defect in the panel or is it inherent with the technology? It almost seems like it may be a driver issue or something similar.

I believe this is related to the framerate cap in Rocket League. I'm not sure if all high framerate monitors have this issue or just the pg278Q. I've made a youtube video showing the issue and the fix: https://youtu.be/gQo6T9fSEk4

I believe this is related to the framerate cap in Rocket League. I'm not sure if all high framerate monitors have this issue or just the pg278Q. I've made a youtube video showing the issue and the fix: https://youtu.be/gQo6T9fSEk4

Wow, this is quite a coincidence. The rocket league patch that steam just pushed to me seems to have fixed the issue.

From the patch notes:
- (PC) Fixed an issue with how the Max FPS slider capped frame rate

And btw, I can see a bit of pixel inversion during this animation but I doubt I'd return the monitor over it. I just got this monitor yesterday, so I may look for pixel inversion in other games to see if it bothers me.

Last edited:
Back