ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

This monitor benefits greatly from a drop in gamma in Nvidia cp.

Do you have a how-to? I'd be interested in trying it out. I'm just using the TFTCentral recommended settings and ICC at the moment.

Sorry, that was poorly worded... I know how to change the gamma, just wanted to see if you had a site or link to someone who's already tested it out. I just changed the gamma from 1.00 to .75, and it looks pretty good. I'm going to mess around with it while gaming to see if I prefer the change.

Last edited:
KurianOfBorg posted how to change the gamma a few days ago

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1860962

Thanks so much!

I'm still using the TFTCentral ICC and their recommended brightness and contrast settings. I initially adjusted the gamma in the nVidia CP to 0.80, but I had to lower it to 0.75 to get the gamma picture on that site to be completely grey. It does look better with these settings.

With the 144hz screens if you are not using gsync / freesync, can you set up the Vsync to whatever you want? For example on a normal monitor you would be stuck with 60hz vsync or 30hz vsync or 60hz with triple buffering...

With a 144hz monitor can you set whatever you want to use? For example could you use a refresh rate of 80 with framerate limited to 40, or refresh rate 100 with framerate 50, like you can run 60hz monitors at 30fps vsync.

If you can do this it would give you a lot more options than the normal 60hz vsync.. But it is possible to do that?

With the 144hz screens if you are not using gsync / freesync, can you set up the Vsync to whatever you want? For example on a normal monitor you would be stuck with 60hz vsync or 30hz vsync or 60hz with triple buffering...

With a 144hz monitor can you set whatever you want to use? For example could you use a refresh rate of 80 with framerate limited to 40, or refresh rate 100 with framerate 50, like you can run 60hz monitors at 30fps vsync.

If you can do this it would give you a lot more options than the normal 60hz vsync.. But it is possible to do that?

Technically possible, but that option is not given at the moment. Also not really necessary when you can limit fps and have G-sync or Freesync automatically pick up the slack.

Technically possible, but that option is not given at the moment. Also not really necessary when you can limit fps and have G-sync or Freesync automatically pick up the slack.

I will buy a 1440p 144hz screen but don't know if I will have AMD or nvidia all the time so I want to check that a 144hz screen is still an upgrade to a 60hz screen even when not using g or freesync. Why is the "option not given"? If you select the refresh rate and then select normal vsync it would do it automatically?

eg. set the monitor at 144hz with normal vsync and you would get 36 > 48 > 72 > 144fps without tearing or stuttering.

or set it at 120hz you would get 30 > 40 > 60 > 120fps I think that is correct? it is 1/2 the refresh then whatever numbers fit into the refresh rate 3x and 4x?

Do you mean you cannot select other refresh rates in games? eg. 90hz or 100hz? What if you made a custom resolution would that work?

I will buy a 1440p 144hz screen but don't know if I will have AMD or nvidia all the time so I want to check that a 144hz screen is still an upgrade to a 60hz screen even when not using g or freesync. Why is the "option not given"? If you select the refresh rate and then select normal vsync it would do it automatically?

eg. set the monitor at 144hz with normal vsync and you would get 36 > 48 > 72 > 144fps without tearing or stuttering.

or set it at 120hz you would get 30 > 40 > 60 > 120fps I think that is correct? it is 1/2 the refresh then whatever numbers fit into the refresh rate 3x and 4x?

Do you mean you cannot select other refresh rates in games? eg. 90hz or 100hz? What if you made a custom resolution would that work?

Here are the options I get in the menu for the Swift: 144 hz, 120 hz, 100 hz, 85 hz, 60 hz, and 24 hz. I haven't tried a custom refresh rate or anything else because honestly G-sync takes away the need for all that. But like I said, if you use G-sync and frame limit the game to whatever you want, that does essentially the same thing.

Here are the options I get in the menu for the Swift: 144 hz, 120 hz, 100 hz, 85 hz, 60 hz, and 24 hz. I haven't tried a custom refresh rate or anything else because honestly G-sync takes away the need for all that. But like I said, if you use G-sync and frame limit the game to whatever you want, that does essentially the same thing.

I know gsync is better but if using an AMD card on a Gsync screen or NVidia card on a freesync screen eg. cannot use VRR, then I am trying to find out what options you have that are better than normal 60hz vsync. None of those settings would be an improvement except 120hz and 144hz but still better than 60hz vsync. Thanks.

So I went and grabbed this monitor at Microcenter. The displayport cable I have to really push and angle a certain way on my GTX Titan X to get a picture... and it still cuts out after a minute or so. Pretty sure its the included cable with the monitor is faulty.

Anyone else ever hear of that issue? I am going to try to find a store around here that has a displayport cable and try it again.

From what I saw of the monitor... no dead pixels, no BLB... just an awsome picture with gsync and no blur...

My Swift's DisplayPort cable is fine. I had unsolvable issues with my XL2420T's DispalyPort and cables. It always used to cut out repeatedly and I had to revert to DL-DVI.

So I went and grabbed this monitor at Microcenter. The displayport cable I have to really push and angle a certain way on my GTX Titan X to get a picture... and it still cuts out after a minute or so. Pretty sure its the included cable with the monitor is faulty.

Anyone else ever hear of that issue? I am going to try to find a store around here that has a displayport cable and try it again.

From what I saw of the monitor... no dead pixels, no BLB... just an awsome picture with gsync and no blur...

The included DP cable that came with my monitor has been working fine.

The included DP cable that came with my monitor has been working fine.

I hope its just the cable... if I move the cable at a certain angle and put pressure on it, then I get a picture... after a few minutes it cuts away again. I know its not the Titan X, as I have used it on other displays including an Imac with a display port to mini display port cable.

I dont think the monitor itself has an issue because I get a picture when I physically push the displayport cable in the titan x...

How is the latest nvidia driver with windowed gsync working for you guys?

I just tried playing Quake at 1920x1080 windowed and G-Sync was working.

Settings
Quake.png

Timedemo demo2
Quake%2525282%252529.png

Yes, it works great. Useful for games you want to or must play in windowed/borderless.

How is the latest nvidia driver with windowed gsync working for you guys?

Works great in games, some weirdness on the desktop though, and sometimes games seem to chug real hard and then I turn gsync off and they're fine... definitely a 1.0 product. But worth using anyway.

Yeah I've had some glitches too (it's a bit annoying how it works for absolutely everything that uses the GPU, including many apps such as web browsers and video players). Can be a problem when those apps output a low fps as it will make the mouse feel sluggish.

Basically g-sync works for any GPU powered windowed application that is currently in focus. I've got one old game where it causes stuttering (X-Wing Alliance, runs in some sort of borderless mode with a 24fps cap) so I have to just stick to v-sync for that one.

Mostly it works great though.

My day 1 Rog Swift has finally started showing problems. I'm getting flickering at 144hz and at all refresh rates with ULMB on. I have blurry text from the middle of the screen to the right. Anyone know if Asus does advance RMA on Rog Swifts?

When RMA'ing this monitor, how do you guys go about packaging the monitor and sending it back? Is it possible/recommended to reuse the same packaging the monitor came in or do you just use a new box?

My day 1 Rog Swift has finally started showing problems. I'm getting flickering at 144hz and at all refresh rates with ULMB on. I have blurry text from the middle of the screen to the right. Anyone know if Asus does advance RMA on Rog Swifts?

Not sure what you mean by advance RMA, but I just submitted an online RMA and it went through. I then called them and asked if they could pay for shipping and they said as a one time courtesy, they would send over mailing label for me.

When RMA'ing this monitor, how do you guys go about packaging the monitor and sending it back? Is it possible/recommended to reuse the same packaging the monitor came in or do you just use a new box?

Not sure what you mean by advance RMA, but I just submitted an online RMA and it went through. I then called them and asked if they could pay for shipping and they said as a one time courtesy, they would send over mailing label for me.

If you are doing an avanced rma they will ship you a brand new unit in a new box and you just pack yours up in the new box or hopefully you kept your old monitor box to send it back in (you wont get it back).

If you are just doing a repair they just want the monitor itself and not the stand or anything it came with cause you might not get it back if you send it in. (no psu, no stand, no retail box)

Hate to say it but my ROG swift is starting to crap out :(

I woke up yesterday turned on my desktop as usual to check mail and etc only to see something odd. For some reason it looked as if I was no longer running at 2560x1440, as if everything on screen was being interpolated from a different resolution. I checked and everything was set right so I tried changing to 1920x1080, the nback to 2560x1440, tried 60, 120, 144Hz, still lokoed like crap. Tried unplugging the power fomr the monitor for a while and coming back plugged it back in, tried chaning the DP cable, tried a different port on my Titan X, Tried clean installing the drivers...all looked like crap. Finally I BRoke out my G751JT notebook used a mini DP to DP cable set to external monitor only aaaannnnddd.... Yep it's the monitor.

So now at this point I have to find out about doing an RMA, hopefully I can do an advance RMA but this really is upsetting to me. I hate to say this but reading around on this and some of Asus other products it seems as if they are having some big quality issues lately. I went with all asus as they had been considered the Top Tier for quite some time but apparently this is no longer the case.

This may sound like a stupid question, but how the heck do I detach the display itself from the stand? I want to send it in for an RMA, but I can't figure out how to detach the display itself.:eek:

This may sound like a stupid question, but how the heck do I detach the display itself from the stand? I want to send it in for an RMA, but I can't figure out how to detach the display itself.:eek:

From what I remember just lay the panel down on your bed and there are 4 vesa screws hidden under rubber covers on the back of the panel, remove those and it should slide off.

Hate to say it but my ROG swift is starting to crap out :(

I woke up yesterday turned on my desktop as usual to check mail and etc only to see something odd. For some reason it looked as if I was no longer running at 2560x1440, as if everything on screen was being interpolated from a different resolution. I checked and everything was set right so I tried changing to 1920x1080, the nback to 2560x1440, tried 60, 120, 144Hz, still lokoed like crap. Tried unplugging the power fomr the monitor for a while and coming back plugged it back in, tried chaning the DP cable, tried a different port on my Titan X, Tried clean installing the drivers...all looked like crap. Finally I BRoke out my G751JT notebook used a mini DP to DP cable set to external monitor only aaaannnnddd.... Yep it's the monitor.

So now at this point I have to find out about doing an RMA, hopefully I can do an advance RMA but this really is upsetting to me. I hate to say this but reading around on this and some of Asus other products it seems as if they are having some big quality issues lately. I went with all asus as they had been considered the Top Tier for quite some time but apparently this is no longer the case.

Yeah i had a similar thing happen last week or so but i just winded up unplugging the dp cable from the card(970) waited about 10-15 seconds and plugged it back in and all's been right so far.:confused::)

I just got my advanced RMA Rog Swift and I'm very happy I got a brand new unit instead of a refurb. I can't believe how bad the colors and the blurry effect was on my old monitor. It feels like i just put on new glasses and the colors look great again.

My ROG Swift came in yesterday. Was using a 28" 4k Samsung @60hz, and after only one day use with the Swift, I feel like things are so much more smooth and fluid in games. Hopefully this one doesn't have problems like everyone else seems to have.

I just got my advanced RMA Rog Swift and I'm very happy I got a brand new unit instead of a refurb. I can't believe how bad the colors and the blurry effect was on my old monitor. It feels like i just put on new glasses and the colors look great again.

Glad you have had luck. I called Monday to try to ge the RMA going. they told me it would be 48 hours for the stock check and then they would send an e-mail for me to follow to put in Cc for advanced shipment.

I called back after 48 hours and they said the stock check was not complete yet... be paitient and I'll be notified as soon as it was done.

Well it is now 4 days later and still nothing. I'm sitting on the phone now waiting on hold trying to see what is going on. My monitor is getting worse.

This video doesn't show how it looks interlaced, nor does it show the backlight dimming out and flashing back up... but it does show one of the issues going on.

sorry for potato cam video but it was hard to try to do this so close lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIiZ2UOs53g

To update I did finally receive the RMA e-mail with the link to enter in my credit card information. I'm a little disappointed that there was no place to input my Work information for the Ship to.... hopefully whatever carrier is used requires a signature because I do not like the thought of an $799 monitor just sitting on my front porch.

Using the Asus support site where I am supposed to able to track the RMA I have only seen this:

The system can't find records of your inquiry!

We recommend you contact your reseller or nearest
ASUS Service Center.

Note:

Due to our internal process, the repair status of your machine will be available the day after it has been delivered at the ASUS Service Center.

This has been 3 days after I submitted my credit card info...so at this point I can not track the RMA, nor obtain shipping information to make sure of when it arrives.

I am trying to give things a chance though as the initial RMA did say it would be 1-3 days possibly before the replacement would be shipped. so I am hoping to see an e-mail or update possibly today.

To update I did finally receive the RMA e-mail with the link to enter in my credit card information. I'm a little disappointed that there was no place to input my Work information for the Ship to.... hopefully whatever carrier is used requires a signature because I do not like the thought of an $799 monitor just sitting on my front porch.

Using the Asus support site where I am supposed to able to track the RMA I have only seen this:

The system can't find records of your inquiry!

We recommend you contact your reseller or nearest
ASUS Service Center.

Note:

Due to our internal process, the repair status of your machine will be available the day after it has been delivered at the ASUS Service Center.

This has been 3 days after I submitted my credit card info...so at this point I can not track the RMA, nor obtain shipping information to make sure of when it arrives.

I am trying to give things a chance though as the initial RMA did say it would be 1-3 days possibly before the replacement would be shipped. so I am hoping to see an e-mail or update possibly today.

I've had a good experience with the RMA process. Sent monitor back on 8/18 for repair. Monitor has been fixed and is scheduled to be delivered to my house tomorrow, 8/28. That's not bad at all. And yes, it will require a signature, so I don't think you need to worry about anyone stealing it. Since I won't be home tomorrow, I re-routed the monitor to be dropped off at the nearest Fed Ex retailer. Hopefully, when I get the monitor back, it will be problem free.

I picked up my RMA'd monitor. Wow, they actually shipped a brand new one to me! I did not expect that at all. When I sent my old monitor back, I only shipped the screen and nothing else. And they ended up shipping a brand new monitor to me! Manufacture date is April 2015. Let's see how this one holds up.

Back