ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

I finally unpacked my replacement today after waffling on what I wanted to do with it. No BLB and no dead/stuck pixels that I could see on white/black backgrounds. Makes me a happy camper.

3yr warranty. RMA it, should get it back in a week. Sorry to hear it but please keep us posted.

By the way - how did it "die"? Does it power on? Display anything at all, or is it the fuzzy text thing? Curious.

not really sure how it died.
so i came home from work and turned the pc on. the red light at the bottom came on but no picture. so i restarted the pc and no power at all. the red light doesn't even come on anymore.

ive been trying since Thursday 3/12 to get an rma. I will NEVER buy another asus product again. and this is coming from someone who pays $500+ for their motherboards.

this is the worst customer service i have ever had to deal with.

i call on thursday and talk to support. the guy gets all my info and tells me i can get cross shipping rma. which i was happy about. he then tells me "im having problems submitting the rma but ill make sure it gets sent out. if you dont get an email by saturday call us back". sure enough, never got an email.

so i call on saturday and sunday and NEVER get through. they are open on these days, but i never get through. honestly i know they're not that fucking busy. i would have better luck reaching barack obama than i would reaching component support. i really think no one is even in but they leave their phones on.

so im going to have to wake up at 8:30a est time, since they open at 5:30am pst, just to call and get the rma process going. this is beyond ridiculous.

i spend $800 on a monitor and this is the customer service i get?

i really want to call and demand a manger and rip him into two and demand a refund but, im going to have to try and stay calm so i dont get left with shit.

sorry for the rant but im a so furious with a company that i have been a huge supporter of for many years.

I bought mine in February 2015, and I've been very happy with mine. It was manufactured in November 2014.

Mine arrived just before halloween 2014 and knock on wood has been great. I recently upgraded to a second 780ti sc off the for sale forums and am getting 105fps+ average (well I say average, but I mean 105+ the mode/most common fps running around) in shadow of mordor and far cry 3 on very high settings. That allows me to swing into the 120's and even mid 130's using g-sync, and lower than 100fps on the downswing without judder/stutter/stops. The blur reduction is higher and the motion definition is very glassy. I love it. You really aren't getting much more out of these monitors other than the variable hz vs judder/stutter/stops unless you are running high fps.

I posted this in a different forum:
the acer's response time is quoted at 4ms but it is like 5.x ms, and at lower Hz the response time on that monitor is said to increase , at 60fps-hz using dynamic hz it goes back up to 8.x ms (and probably higher ms at lower fps-hz)

Regardless of the monitor's hz, lower frame rates will be blurrier anyway, but on these panels the response time also increases at lower synchronized variable fps-hz rates. So if you are using variable hz and running lower fps you are basically running a low hz, poor response time, blurry (smearing blur) monitor with low motion definition (in that particular scenario). At high frame rates on a high hz, low response time monitor, blur is appreciably reduced and you get much greater motion definition, motion articulation/pathing, and even animation cycle definition.

1440p is demanding. On some demanding games (shadow of mordor, far cry 3 for example).. you are lucky to get 105+ fps average on very high settings (not ultra), using dual 780ti sc's or dual 980's. The 980's might get a little higher depending on the game. A few poorly optimized, demanding games would be worse. 100fps or so average is a good point to shoot for, with variable hz allowing you to go above (into the 120's and even mid 130's) and below that without judder, tearing, or stops. 100+ vs 60 is a 5:3 ratio increase in motion definition and motion articulation and provides some blur reduction. Best case is easier to render games where the frame rate is very high allowing even greater motion clarity (50% blur reduction at 120fps-hz, 60% blur reduction at 144fps-hz), and the highest available motion definition and motion articulation.

People are infatuated with graphics detail in still shots, but you don't play screen shots.
If you are using variable hz at 1440p to run low (sub 75fps-hz to 90fps-hz ave, really should be like 100ave at least imo) frame rates, you are essentially running a low hz, low motion defintion and motion articulation, smearing blur monitor and missing out on most of the gaming advancements these monitors provide outside of the judder/tearing/stops avoidance. For most people a dynamic hz 1080p gaming monitor would be a lot better for their gpu budgets.

Last edited:
How are the earlier ones who RMA'd theirs doing today with their replacements?

Mine has been good still from when I got a new replacement from Asus back in February. No BLB on the bottom like the last one, and I haven't found any dead/stuck pixels yet.

Could I have some game recommendations that really showcase the ULMB advantage? This is my first experience with a strobing backlight and I am would really like to experience it at its best. I can clearly see the advantage on the blurbusters motion tests, but so far I have not really seen it in game yet.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and discussion.

Could I have some game recommendations that really showcase the ULMB advantage? This is my first experience with a strobing backlight and I am would really like to experience it at its best. I can clearly see the advantage on the blurbusters motion tests, but so far I have not really seen it in game yet.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and discussion.

Quake Live

/end

:D

Mine arrived just before halloween 2014 and knock on wood has been great. I recently upgraded to a second 780ti sc off the for sale forums and am getting 105fps+ average (well I say average, but I mean 105+ the mode/most common fps running around) in shadow of mordor and far cry 3 on very high settings. That allows me to swing into the 120's and even mid 130's using g-sync, and lower than 100fps on the downswing without judder/stutter/stops. The blur reduction is higher and the motion definition is very glassy. I love it. You really aren't getting much more out of these monitors other than the variable hz vs judder/stutter/stops unless you are running high fps.

I posted this in a different forum:
To your quote, I have never experienced what you describe as "smearing blur" or "low motion articulation" having gone as far to the lower limit of 40 FPS, at which point judder is the only thing that returns. 70-90 FPS on average is what the games I play run at, and the experience at these framerates with G-sync is no different from averaging above 100, including mouse input and motion acquisition.

This would not happen the way the technology works. If the display is updating at the same time as the game then neither input or output is running faster or slower to cause such behavior, no matter how low the framerate goes down to the lower limit. Response time is still going to be less than one frame because of this. If your goal is to already hit 60 FPS then you're already in a good position to take advantage of this monitor. Meaning late-model cards of the Kepler and Maxwell varieties in single-card configurations are all that is needed.

Some suggestions for ulmb,
competitive wise, TeamFortress2 and L4D2 (monsters vs humans especially, otherwise coop romps), probably some of the Counterstrike games too.

Aesthetically, Darksiders1 and 2 (world of warcraft-ish graphics in a console-action style game) and L4D2 are both very high frame rates. Another high frame rate one is "Dishonored", a steam-punk occult magic stealth based game with stylized graphics.

I'd suggest trying these kind of games with g-sync mode also though since 144fps-hz (or 135+ capped as some do vs fairly insignificant input lag) is a 60% blur reduction with very high motion definition and is also something to be seen. Btw, I thought isometric rpgs would not benefit much from this but they are really very glassy smooth as well at very high fps, and being typically a slower pan of the game world they don't really blur.

Last edited:
Blur happens from sample and hold effect of your eyes/brain.
There is a ton of information about this on blurbusters.com. If you don't see motion blur during mouse-looking and motion-key movement flow of the entire game world moving relative to your viewpoint at speed, and not more blur at lower fps-hz (which is basically running a low hz monitor) - then consider yourself lucky to be oblivious. There is a reason some people are willing to suffer the muted screen in ulmb mode to get higher motion clarity (blur reduction/elimination).

As for motion articulation, it is plain as well, even in simple mouse pointer movement and trails let alone whole game worlds of action + the game viewport moving the entire game world relative to your perspective.

http://www.web-cyb.org/hardware-info/120hz-fps-compared.htm

I'm not saying any of your low frame rate scenarios are unplayable (though they are to my personal preference), I'm just saying they are greatly inferior and are not using the gaming improvements higher hz monitor tech provides, rather just using g-sync's judder/tearing/stops reduction. http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview/

Last edited:
So I just ordered one of these although I am not a huge fan of non glossy monitors. Considering the price drop that the 4k monitors are experiencing, can we expect G-sync 27inch 1440p Gsync monitors to come down to more reasonable $400-$500 range soon?

soon being a relative term I wouldn't expect 40% price drops until end of this year at the earliest

So yeah, my Swift started behaving very strangely today... I loaded up GTA V and it was barely running at all... like literally 1fps. In windowed mode it ran normally, but in fullscreen (with Gsync on) it was back to 1 or 2 fps. So I killed the game and started the troubleshooting process.

Suddenly I notice the red Gsync indicator is stuck on, even in desktop (where it can't possible be on)... pressing the menu button (down on the joystick) simply acts like the turbo button (the one that lets you hot swap refresh rates) while the actual turbo button brings up the gamer crosshair thingy... pretty sure the OSD unit or something just completely pooped out.

Ugh.

the red light is showing on desktop for everyone due to the latest drivers

Whaaa.? Can you explain some more? I swear it was normal until now and I've been running the latest drivers since Monday without this issue..

I don't know about the rest of what your describing but that's the explanation for the red LED on desktop. I believe it's even in g-sync mode and people are upset that we can use ULMB on desktop anymore. It had something to do with windows 10.

Yeah, just wondering because it's odd that the OSD issue happened at the same time... I assume you have a Swift, is your OSD working as normal still?

edit: Went back to 347.88, red light fixed but OSD still borked...

Yeah the latest nvidia drivers broke the g-sync LED (for other monitors too). It works almost normally when you have Win 7 and Aero off but the LED can still get stuck in g-sync mode now and then :/ Hope they patch this soon, the LED on the Swift is actually a great feature and I HATE that's it's not reliable anymore. I may be hyped for Windows 10 but I know I'm still gonna keep a Win 7 install alongside it for some time so they have to fix it :p It's also broken in Win 8 anyway so not even sure it would work as intended in Win 10 since they are so similar.

Yeah, just wondering because it's odd that the OSD issue happened at the same time... I assume you have a Swift, is your OSD working as normal still?

edit: Went back to 347.88, red light fixed but OSD still borked...

I think your OSD panel is physically broken. The new drivers definitely fucked up ULMB on the desktop, though.

So we can run in borderless window or in windowed mode will work with gsync now?

No, nvidia explained that the display is just confused. And I can confirm this as I have seen the LED get stuck on red on the desktop without Aero (so there wasn't even v-sync and I could see tearing when dragging windows...)

Mine has a gamma of 1.6. It's like looking through a white screen and is almost unusable out of the box. Fortunately I got this for a MacBook Pro and calibrating the display in OS X applies it globally. I calibrated it to a gamma of 2.4 and native white point with my Spyder3 and it looks very good with saturated colours. I had to patch the driver to unlock the 144 Hz refresh rate on OS X.

This particular unit would be completely unusable in Windows. Even with an ICC profile it would still be white on the desktop and 95% of apps.

Mine has a gamma of 1.6. It's like looking through a white screen and is almost unusable out of the box. Fortunately I got this for a MacBook Pro and calibrating the display in OS X applies it globally. I calibrated it to a gamma of 2.4 and native white point with my Spyder3 and it looks very good with saturated colours. I had to patch the driver to unlock the 144 Hz refresh rate on OS X.

This particular unit would be completely unusable in Windows. Even with an ICC profile it would still be white on the desktop and 95% of apps.
Mine came nearly perfectly calibrated out of the box. TFTCentral did a review and found that the colors needed no adjusting. All I had to do was turn the brightness down from 80 to 50 or so. They recommended 27 or so, but that was too dim for my tastes. Taking pictures of a monitor is pretty hit-and-miss, but if you tried, we could probably give you an idea of whether you should see about an RMA.

Mine came nearly perfectly calibrated out of the box. TFTCentral did a review and found that the colors needed no adjusting. All I had to do was turn the brightness down from 80 to 50 or so. They recommended 27 or so, but that was too dim for my tastes. Taking pictures of a monitor is pretty hit-and-miss, but if you tried, we could probably give you an idea of whether you should see about an RMA.

My colour calibration was perfect out of the box. The only thing that needed adjusting was the gamma (by a whopping amount).

Regarding G-SYNC being always-on now, this is by design and is a good thing. However, it makes using ULMB a little trickier at the moment, and this is what our driver team had to say about it:

Originally Posted by NVIDIA

In our recent driver, when G-SYNC is enabled in the NV Control Panel, it is always enabled and now supersedes in-game settings. A consequence for example, is that an end-user wanting to use ULMB mode in a game, must first turn-off G-SYNC in the NV Control Panel. We are investigating alternatives for a future driver release, but for now, use the NV Control Panel to turn off G-SYNC before using ULMB mode.

How is this a good thing? I rolled back to the previous driver. Before ULMB and G-Sync switching for the desktop and different games was seamless and automatic. If this was done on purpose, that was a stupid decision.

Yes I'm not a fan of G-Sync being on all the time.
Video playback at larger resolutions stutters constantly with G-Sync on desktop.

Why was it necessary to implement it as always on?

a little late but i just jumped on the SWIFT train. newegg was running an extra $30 off preferred accounts so $750. upgrading from 2011~ Samsung 27"1ms 60hz. looking forward to GSYNC as well as ulmb for csgo.

Starting to get pissed off. I'm on my third ROG Swift. All of them have developed the blurry text problem eventually. It's simply a defective product. It does not work to spec. This monitor should be pulled from the market. It doesn't work!

$800 to have to go through a 1 month RMA process every 3 months. Worst monitor I've ever bought. This will be my last Asus product.

Oh, and their fucking RMA site isn't working right now. What a great customer experience (geezus).

Back