ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

I see, possible, of course :)

Well, good thing is that 2nd Swift is on the way, ordered it today, due to "cloud back light bleeds that i started noticing after 3-4 days of use" , will reports how it is with new one then.

Thanks!

Man sorry to hear that, I'm 40 years old and have been gaming since the C-64 days and the ROG Swift is my favorite moniter/Hardware. It has made games look and feel so much better then they have ever been.

It's the best thing (for a gaming monitor) since my fw900 for sure, and a significant upgrade even from my samsung A750D 120hz 1080p.

By the way I switched back from experimenting with ulmb again. The color saturation, brightness and contrast are dulled by it even at pulse width 50 (any higher/shorter would be unplayably dark for me personally). I switched back to 144hz + g-sync in darksiders and the other very high fps games I've been playing and they really pop and run glassy smooth motion definition and flow wise with in most cases every hz filled by new motion data frames. 144hz g-sync at 1ms and normal overdrive has a 60% blur reduction (compared to 60hz or greater than 1ms response time panels) which results in more of a soften blur, within the shadow mask of the on screen objects so it's not too horrible. ulmb mode has essentially zero blur but has a considerable PQ dulling tradeoff. I'll try ulmb again eventually on the very high fps, easy-to-render games but most games don't have that kind of frame rate so 144hz + g-sync will be used more often anyway. Your eyes do adjust to the dimmer ulmb mode and it's not horrible, but as it is now it's night and day between the two modes, like going to a poor contrast and saturation tn vs a lush colored and well contrasted tn. Next time I run ulmb mode I'll experiment with the nvidia control panel settings even more to see if I can squeeze more pop into it vs the dull look.

If you dont use or care about 3D vision.. and you just bought this.. I would return it. Well come what March Acer is coming out with IPS 2560 G-SYNC.. a would cost more but WOW be so much better.. just saying.. something to think about.

Doesnt matter how nice it looks if you DONT move... .I know. The color shift alone is awful.. its TN

If you dont use or care about 3D vision.. and you just bought this.. I would return it. Well come what March Acer is coming out with IPS 2560 G-SYNC.. a would cost more but WOW be so much better.. just saying.. something to think about.

Doesnt matter how nice it looks if you DONT move... .I know. The color shift alone is awful.. its TN
you seem to be confused. once you move with that IPS panel it's going to look like someone smeared vaseline on your screen. have fun with that pixel response rate (and take further comments to the Acer thread) :D

you need ~1ms response time to avoid smear blur whether in g-sync mode or backlight strobing mode. IPS response time, even quoted as 4 or 6 ms by mfg, will smear.
This article applies to comparing 1ms response times to higher ones for backlight strobing but you can see how higher than 1ms that is insufficient for backlight strobing would certainly blur badly outside of backlight strobing mode.
It's not "clean" enough because it is too slow and smearing.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1777

A 6ms GtG screen is too slow for clean 120Hz strobing.
Even a 3ms GtG screen is too slow for clean 120Hz strobing; as real-world GtG is often 6ms.

This quote also applies

Incorrect. Overclocking such a panel does nothing to increase pixel transition speed. It's still sample and hold with really slow IPS pixels. I've owned 7+ "overclock" 1440p monitors, and my fastest 2B would do ~136 Hz.

It still could never do under 10ms in the MPRT test. The pixels operate at the same transition speed they do at 60 Hz.
<snip>
The increased "smoothness" of the increased refresh rate only makes the image feel smoother, it does virtually nothing for motion clarity which is completely different.

Last edited:
so, (as i am far from "pro" - and far from understanding everything :) ) this monitor is still better monitor then acer that is coming out, due to slower GTG response?

As for colors on this monitor, with ICM profile i am using \ i really, really love the colors, can't complain.

On the current Monitor only issue i am seeing are LEDs, but, 10 minutes ago i got e-mail from Bestbuy - 2nd Monitor has been shipped just tonight, so, i expect it to arrive tomorrow\or day after tomorrow.

In case, i end up having same issues with LEDs, clearly, it is Windows\Driver issues (which is possible), i will compare this new Monitor with one i have one, and decide about a keeper.

Thanks

After re-installing drivers, with no 3D selection, back to Windows, led is still green ://

Nvidia driver settings:

2015-02-23_16-38-37.png

I am lost, not sure what to do.

if anybody please could help me, it will be appreciated.

Thanks

Change the 120hz to 144.

I did, and i am @ 144Hz at the moment - still, same issues with LEDs.

Also, for the test, i installed Battlefield 4 (same issue, no LED while full screen).

Thanks

I leave my desktop at 120 because I use ULMB on the desktop and 144 Gsync in games.

Will it not work the way I have it set up?

I was told to use 120Hz in Desktop due to Higher Temps (Idle temps) while in 144Hz mode.

What i noticed between 120Hz and 144Hz is that in 120Hz, colors are not as clear \ sharp as in 144Hz mode.

Is this normal?

Because of that, i returned back to 144Hz in Desktop mode as well.

Thanks

I was told to use 120Hz in Desktop due to Higher Temps (Idle temps) while in 144Hz mode.

What i noticed between 120Hz and 144Hz is that in 120Hz, colors are not as clear \ sharp as in 144Hz mode.

Is this normal?

Because of that, i returned back to 144Hz in Desktop mode as well.

Thanks

It does keep the gpu clocked higher in 144hz, check out gpuz when switching between 120hz & 144hz. Its not that big a deal though.

tftcentral has some good icc profiles for this monitor you can try for the colors:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

I using the TFTCentral ICC profile as well as their recommended brightness, contrast, and RGB settings. It did make it look better from the stock settings.

It does keep the gpu clocked higher in 144hz, check out gpuz when switching between 120hz & 144hz. Its not that big a deal though.

tftcentral has some good icc profiles for this monitor you can try for the colors:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm
I think he might have been referring to the fact that 144hz is overdriving the gsync module not that it's raising GPU temps.

I did, and i am @ 144Hz at the moment - still, same issues with LEDs.

Also, for the test, i installed Battlefield 4 (same issue, no LED while full screen).

Thanks
The LightInMotion LED on the base has never worked on mine. It is always stuck on red no matter which mode I am in. The power light also changes color, though. This is how I confirm that G-sync is working in-game. It changes to red with G-sync and back to white on the desktop.

you need ~1ms response time to avoid smear blur whether in g-sync mode or backlight strobing mode. IPS response time, even quoted as 4 or 6 ms by mfg, will smear.
This article applies to comparing 1ms response times to higher ones for backlight strobing but you can see how higher than 1ms that is insufficient for backlight strobing would certainly blur badly outside of backlight strobing mode.
It's not "clean" enough because it is too slow and smearing.

This quote also applies

The higher refresh rate reduces the panel's overdrive's pixel overshoot by a significant amount, which does lead to clearer motion.

It doesn't cut the smear blur down even if an ips has 144hz if it has a 3 - 4 (often 6ms real world) response time. You have to combine the high hz with very low response time or it will blur just like a 60hz 1ms TN (smearing blur).

The increased "smoothness" of the increased refresh rate only makes the image feel smoother, it does virtually nothing for motion clarity which is completely different.
-----------------------

The higher refresh rate reduces the panel's overdrive's pixel overshoot by a significant amount, which does lead to clearer motion.
If you are agreeing with me then yes on a 1ms panel.
If you are claiming that the reduced overdrive overshoot of an ips at high hz is visible and measurably separate from and not "washed out" by the poor response time's smear blur during fast motion and fast FoV movement I'd be interested to see those measured results, preferably by pursuit camera on a 6ms ips at 120hz. There are a crop of 144hz g-sync ips panels due out I am very curious of the results on the 4ms(6ms) ones. The 21:9 acer and samsung 144hz g-sync ones too. Unfortunately I suspect they will all be smear blur just by the response time numbers.

Last edited:
If you are agreeing with me then yes on a 1ms panel.
If you are claiming that the reduced overdrive overshoot of an ips at high hz is visible and measurably separate from and not "washed out" by the poor response time's smear blur during fast motion and fast FoV movement I'd be interested to see those measured results, preferably by pursuit camera on a 6ms ips at 120hz. There are a crop of 144hz g-sync ips panels due out I am very curious of the results on the 4ms(6ms) ones. The 21:9 acer and samsung 144hz g-sync ones too. Unfortunately I suspect they will all be smear blur just by the response time numbers.

I have to dig up the review that shows the overdrive overshoot being reduced by the higher refresh rate.

The review of this Acer 27" IPS monitor shows that combined with the overdrive, the increased refresh rate does lower the pixel response time. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Acer has done a wonderful job with the IPS motion clarity according to TFTCentral on their new Predator monitor. Virtually zero overshoot and they prefer it to the Swift.

Acer has done a wonderful job with the IPS motion clarity according to TFTCentral on their new Predator monitor. Virtually zero overshoot and they prefer it to the Swift.

It's using an AUO IPS display, versus the typical LG IPS or Samsung PLS displays we usually see.

Perhaps AUO tuned their display for a better response time and overdrive than LG or Samsung.

I'll be watching carefully for the results on the "Acer Predator XR341CK 34" 144Hz 21:9 Curved Gaming Screen with G-sync ". I'd be happy to see the kind of blur reduction a 144hz on a 1ms TN does on the most modern IPS gaming monitors coming out. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Response times were very impressive and fast, and beyond what we expected from an IPS-type panel. We were expecting response times to be around the 8.6ms mark at best, which is what we'd experienced fairly consistently from other modern IPS panels. The refresh rate dynamically affects the overdrive control on this model, so response times reach down to 5.5ms G2G by the time you reach 144Hz. Best of all, if you stick to the 'normal' OD mode, all this is achievable without introducing any overshoot. The fastest TN Film models like the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q might have had slightly faster pixel transitions by a few ms, but their overshoot was at moderate levels. We actually preferred the artefact-free fluidity of the panel here and response times were low enough to be able to cope with the high frame rates offered. That's been the problem with overclockable Korean models, leading to common issues with ghosting and blurring even though you get a more fluid feel to the screen thanks to the overclocked refresh rate. Here, the pixel response times are very good so combined with the high refresh rate, it's a great gaming experience. As we've already mentioned, you also get the added benefits of the image quality offered from the IPS-type panel as compared with TN Film models.

Regarding ulmb/strobing , (seems to indicate that it will blur due to transition time outside of strobing at higher ms response times too).

A 6ms GtG screen is too slow for clean 120Hz strobing.
Even a 3ms GtG screen is too slow for clean 120Hz strobing; as real-world GtG is often 6ms.

You really want 1ms GtG, to have most (>99%) of real-world GtG complete inside a vertical blanking interval (the time not spent scanning the screen) -- a tiny fraction of an LCD refresh cycle.

I'd love to see some pursuit camera blur testing of both the swift and the acer.

Last edited:
I got 3 of these PG278Q and this past-weekend I was at the "gamers for giving" 2015 LANfest. It was my first time using all 3 of them, sadly I have to report that one only lasted about 16 hours and now has the white screen of death... I've been sitting on them for over a month so now I can't exchange it to MC and have to file an RMA :(

I got 3 of these PG278Q and this past-weekend I was at the "gamers for giving" 2015 LANfest. It was my first time using all 3 of them, sadly I have to report that one only lasted about 16 hours and now has the white screen of death... I've been sitting on them for over a month so now I can't exchange it to MC and have to file an RMA :(

Happens to the best of us. At this point they should have enough stock to send you one without much delay.

I hope they start making GSYNC monitors with inputs other than DP. That's literally the ONLY thing holding me back from upgrading to the ROG Swift at the moment. BenQ did with their XL2420G GSYNC monitor so I know it is possible.

The XL2420G was 1080p which uses less bandwidth for one thing. G-sync only works on displayport afaik.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/68220-benq-xl2420g-g-sync-monitor-review.html
XL2420G&#8217;s I/O area also has all the bases covered. Not only is there one DVI port, and two HDMI ports, but BenQ has also include the necessary DisplayPort that NIVIDA requires to make G-SYNC work.

Unless you mean for connecting consoles or something where 1440p and no scaler aren't really the best idea for that either?

anyway, my 2nd (replacement) monitor came in today from Bestbuy, there was no issues with LED's (showing G-SYNC is on) etc, but, sadly it had 2 dead pixels very visible.

I decided to return both and finish with SWIFT. :\

Both Monitors are returned , and i will be waiting for new Acer's or whatever comes out in similar price range.

Thanks guys for help! :)

is flickering a issue for everyone with this monitor?
is usually only happens on loading screens but sometimes happens while in game.
can be annoying.

Last edited:
is flickering a issue for everyone with this monitor?
is usually only happens on loading screens but sometimes happens while in game.
can be annoying.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the monitor but with how G-SYNC handles very low or zero fps in some games.

Oh WOW.....

Was going to pick up the 24 inch BenQ

That sucks, but with stocks being what they as of late, you should be able to get a replacement without a long wait. My Swift has been pretty flawless since I got it. I did get a stuck pixel on mine after about eight hours, but I was able to activate it with a little pressure. It's been about three weeks now and I haven't encountered any other issues.

If anyone is interested, my monitor was manufactured in November 2014.

Just a fyi. I found the stand to be too deep. After some research I found that a dell stand can replace it with no problem (no special vesa adapter needed). Bought one on ebay for 20 bucks, saved 3ish inches and now my gear can lay flat on the stand.

If you plan on going this route. Don't hunt for stands for IPS 27 inch models, the spring is designed for heavier monitors, the asus will just spring up. Look for stands made for TN models or for a smaller monitor.

How's SLI with the monitor nowadays? I recall that there were some problems with SLI around launch but has it been fixed since then?

Never had any problem with SLI and this monitor.. Some of the new Maxwell features either still don't work with SLI enabled or with gysnc enabled though.

Question: is there any sort of hackery that I can do to make Swift display at 2560x1080 Ultra-wide resolution, or does 21:9 ratio requires special hardware that Swift simply lacks?

I tried nVidia's custom resolution setting and it didn't work lol.

just over a month old and my rog swift is dead..

for an $800 monitor this is honestly unacceptable..

ive been a long time fan of asus but it seems like they have been going to shit lately.

3yr warranty. RMA it, should get it back in a week. Sorry to hear it but please keep us posted.

By the way - how did it "die"? Does it power on? Display anything at all, or is it the fuzzy text thing? Curious.

Last edited:
Back