ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Don't you guys know of this site? https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-pg278q/

Pretty good reviews overall. They do mention Swift units shipped with a weak gamma and offer an icc profile to compensate for it (it is very very similar to the profile that I got from my colorimeter FYI)

quote : "It’s worth noting at this point that some users have reported their units coming with gamma closer to 2.0 than 2.2 as a central average. This has been verified on some units using a colorimeter, in one case a Spyder4Elite just like ours. We have seen this sort of variation in gamma attributes on pretty much every other 144Hz monitor but were hoping that the SWIFT may somehow be immune to such variation from careful factory calibration. Reliable user reports suggest otherwise. If you do notice things looking a bit less saturated than you’d like, even towards the centre and top of the screen, we’ve created an ICC profile as detailed below. This gave a gamma of above 2.4 (> 2.2 target) on our unit so should help if your unit is one that hovers around 2.0. We did not use this ICC profile in our testing, it is just there if you feel the colours on your ROG SWIFT are generally undersaturated. It can be combined with our ‘Test Settings’ below, if you like, but beware of inter-unit variation."

They even mention inversion artefacts further down the page.

Last edited:
I think someone mention it a few days ago about productivity on this, saying something like reading on this is hard due to the matte. I have to somewhat agree. Sure, the colors on it is good. But that internal crystallization/inner reflection make black text with white background awful. I changed Visual Studio to dark theme on my machine so that's okay; but doing Office/Doc stuff, it is still annoying. I have matte displays at work too, but the crystallization is no where near as annoying.

I think someone mention it a few days ago about productivity on this, saying something like reading on this is hard due to the matte. I have to somewhat agree. Sure, the colors on it is good. But that internal crystallization/inner reflection make black text with white background awful. I changed Visual Studio to dark theme on my machine so that's okay; but doing Office/Doc stuff, it is still annoying. I have matte displays at work too, but the crystallization is no where near as annoying.

I disagree with that. I find text easier to read than most monitors. As for black text with white backgrounds, I find that difficult to look at on any monitor.

Don't you guys know of this site? https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-pg278q/

Pretty good reviews overall. They do mention Swift units shipped with a weak gamma and offer an icc profile to compensate for it (it is very very similar to the profile that I got from my colorimeter FYI)

quote : "It’s worth noting at this point that some users have reported their units coming with gamma closer to 2.0 than 2.2 as a central average. This has been verified on some units using a colorimeter, in one case a Spyder4Elite just like ours. We have seen this sort of variation in gamma attributes on pretty much every other 144Hz monitor but were hoping that the SWIFT may somehow be immune to such variation from careful factory calibration. Reliable user reports suggest otherwise. If you do notice things looking a bit less saturated than you’d like, even towards the centre and top of the screen, we’ve created an ICC profile as detailed below. This gave a gamma of above 2.4 (> 2.2 target) on our unit so should help if your unit is one that hovers around 2.0. We did not use this ICC profile in our testing, it is just there if you feel the colours on your ROG SWIFT are generally undersaturated. It can be combined with our ‘Test Settings’ below, if you like, but beware of inter-unit variation."

They even mention inversion artefacts further down the page.

That profile really helped. Thanks a lot.

Maybe somebody can help me out here. The Turbo button never does anything. It just pops up a box showing me the refresh rate I'm already running at. Super helpful! I know, the screen has to be moving in some way. I can put on a video or flail the mouse around all I want,Turbo button still does diddly.

Second, and more importantly... I cannot get ULMB to work. It's just always greyed out. I like Gsync, but there are certain games where I'm pretty sure I'd prefer ULMB.

I know it doesn't work at 144hz. I switched it to 120. No dice. Still greyed out. I just watched a reviewer casually switch the monitor over to 120hz and then hit the little checkbox in the OSD and turn it on in an instant.

The only other thing I keep seeing is people talking about disabling Gsync. How? There's no mention of Gsync anywhere in the driver control panel and there's not one whisper of it in the monitor's OSD.

Driving me nuts.

Maybe somebody can help me out here. The Turbo button never does anything. It just pops up a box showing me the refresh rate I'm already running at. Super helpful! I know, the screen has to be moving in some way. I can put on a video or flail the mouse around all I want,Turbo button still does diddly.

Second, and more importantly... I cannot get ULMB to work. It's just always greyed out. I like Gsync, but there are certain games where I'm pretty sure I'd prefer ULMB.

I know it doesn't work at 144hz. I switched it to 120. No dice. Still greyed out. I just watched a reviewer casually switch the monitor over to 120hz and then hit the little checkbox in the OSD and turn it on in an instant.

The only other thing I keep seeing is people talking about disabling Gsync. How? There's no mention of Gsync anywhere in the driver control panel and there's not one whisper of it in the monitor's OSD.

Driving me nuts.

There's a whole tab dedicated to g-sync in my nvidia control panel. I need to disable it there to get ULMB in games.

As for the turbo button, for me it simply switches the refresh rate between the different modes. I don't ever use it though.

I set desktop to 120hz via windows resolution settings and enable ULMB while on the desktop, and set the refresh rate in nVidia CP to highest available, which lets me pick and choose whether I want ULMB or G-sync in games on the fly by just switching between full screen and windowed full screen mode.

And also, this works for me as a workaround to force some games to use my calibrated monitor LUT settings, but those games tend to benefit less from G-sync anyhow (RTS, D3 & its clones for example).

Driving me nuts.

I don't know about ULMB.

The turbo button needs activity to work as you said... cursor is not enough. I've read and done it with browser slider, moving it up and down. It works in-game, and during a video. But not really during basic desktop use.

As I play a game, if I want to put it on 144hz, I use the turbo button and cycle through to 144. After I exit the game, it goes back to the system default/specified frequency.

When I installed the Nvidia driver it automatically had the gsync checkbox checked in the control panel.

OHDOUGP.png

When enabled, if you startup a game it will automatically go into gsync mode. The power light indicator, bottom right of the screen, will turn red when gsync is on. Game must be in full screen mode, not windowed. You can also check during a game with the thumb-stick. Push it in and look at the OSD and it will have gsync, rather than normal mode.

I had to do the factory reset settings to get it to "enable" the ULMB setting. Even though I hadn't changed any settings and G-Sync was off @ 120Hz.

In any case, I didn't like ULMB. It was too dark and G-Sync looks better.

60hz and IPS response time = really bad smear blur, (even worse than the 60hz "baseline" smear blur of a 60hz TN)

60hz = a low 60frame/sec max of motion definition and motion articulation

I use two monitors, a 27" 2560x1440 ips mainly for desktop/apps and an asus rog swift for games (formerly had a samsung a750d 27" 1080p 120hz TN where the swift is). Looking forward to a consumer release of the oculus rift VR someday though, oled screens at 90hz+ with screen blanking (blur elimination).

60hz TN is a smearfest during continual FoV movement; movement-keying and mouse-look flow pathing in 1st/3rd person games. IPS response time is too slow and blurs twd the 60hz end of the scale (smearing blur) even on "overclocked" 120hz ips monitors, and worse on 60hz ips. Personally I would only use an ultra low response time gaming panel for games. You are also pressed to average 100fps on modern games (on "high +" to ultra settings) but is doable at 1440p using dual high end gpus. 4k is more demanding than that so the fps is a lot lower at those settings. Gsync is good for the roller coaster +/- the average fps to avoid tearing and judder, but running low fps = low motion definition and motion path articulation so you are really missing out of the massive gains that a high hz (120hz-144hz monitor) gives there too. 4k makes for nice screenshots but gaming is about motion - something you can't show someone in screenshots and videos online. You have to own a 120hz-144hz low response time monitor and have the gpu power to feed it "good enough" frames vs hz to see what it looks like at all. You don't play a screenshot.

4k is sacrificing(/suffering):

• large blur reduction gains of a ultra low response time TN's
    50% blur reduction of the entire (continually moving in 1st/3rd person games) game world viewport at 120hz
    60% blur reduction at 144hz
  • higher average fps vs high+ to ultra settings

• much greater motion definition and motion articulation that high average fps + high hz provides.

There is a 4k 1ms TN with freesync out somewhere apparently. However it is 60hz. 4k can't do 120hz+ at 4k resolution and won't for quite some time. 4k would need a displayport 1.3 monitor as well as gpu's with displayport 1.3 outputs, and the monitor would have to be designed to do 120hz-144hz and variable hz of course. Also freesync doesn't include a strobing mode option like every g-sync monitor does, just sayin'. So a 120hz 4k (using displayport 1.3) with variable hz and the displayport 1.3 gpus needed to feed it aren't happening for a long time yet (if ever on the 4k screen). By the time it does, I'll probably be on an oculus rift.
http://hexus.net/tech/news/displays/78781-is-iiyama-made-amd-freesync-monitor-already-available-uk/
60hz so of zero interest to me for gaming, but at least it's a 1ms 4k with variable hz tech.
(TN for 1ms response time obviously)
60hz will still smear blur horribly in 1st/3rd person gaming. If someone would make a 120hz-144hz one like that (with g-sync/free-sync/variable hz)I'd have less to complain about on a 4k setup with one other than the lower framerates due to the increased gpu demands.
For 4k it would require a dp 1.3 monitor and dp 1.3 output gpu(s), and a monitor made capable of 120hz-144hz + variable hz. One notably absent option on all the freesync monitors afaik is a strobe mode option too. All of the nvidia g-sync monitors have ulmb mode as an option at least.

Last edited:
Yeeeeah... that G-Sync tab isn't there. At all. I'm on the newest drivers. Hrm.
Have you installed the driver from the CD that came with the monitor?
What version of Windows are you on?
Are you using the supplied DisplayPort cable?
What is the make and model of your video card (please be specific)?

Just got my ROG Swift from Microcenter. Oh...my...god...what a difference! 144 Hz with G-Sync is unreal!!! :)

Just got my replacement ROG Swift. Seems okay so far...knock on wood. They sent me a whole new monitor. This one's dated December 20.

Good price to performance is the Xrite i1 Display Pro. I run it in my studio and on the creative's machines.

What I meant was that if I remember correctly, the g-sync tab doesn't show up in the nvidia drivers while ulmb mode is active in the monitor's osd (checkbox in the osd menus). Maybe that is what that guy was talking about when he said he didn't see the g-sync tab.

Negative.

The whole problem is that I want to turn on ULMB and can't because it's greyed out. Directions to getting it working keep leading me to "Disable GSync"

Which I can't seem to do because there is no GSync tab. I've uninstalled the video drivers, run driver cleaner type stuff, deleted every Nvidia folder I can find, and then done a clean re-install of the newest drivers and still no love.

Feeling like it's time to give up on ULMB and hope a future driver release magically fixes it for me.

Negative.

The whole problem is that I want to turn on ULMB and can't because it's greyed out. Directions to getting it working keep leading me to "Disable GSync"

Which I can't seem to do because there is no GSync tab. I've uninstalled the video drivers, run driver cleaner type stuff, deleted every Nvidia folder I can find, and then done a clean re-install of the newest drivers and still no love.

Feeling like it's time to give up on ULMB and hope a future driver release magically fixes it for me.

Did you set it to 120hz first? ULMB isn't available at 144hz. edit: Sorry, didn't realize you posted about it on the previous page. Hrmm. It seems like your system is confused about what display is plugged in, like it's detecting it as a standard HDTV rather than a PC display.

Did you set it to 120hz first? ULMB isn't available at 144hz. edit: Sorry, didn't realize you posted about it on the previous page. Hrmm. It seems like your system is confused about what display is plugged in, like it's detecting it as a standard HDTV rather than a PC display.

It seems to identify correctly. It's listed as "ROG PG278Q" in the display list.

I've tried disabling my other monitor and then repeating all other steps too. Hence reaching the "I give up" part.

Did you install the monitor drivers off the asus website?

ASUS_PG278_Windows_7_WHQL is the one I use since I'm on win7 64 bit.

it has these files that you point to from device manager.

pg278q.cat
PG278Q.icm
PG278Q.inf

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/HelpDesk_Download/

A quick way to get to the device manager is to hit the start buton/windows key and type this in the search field:
devmgmt.msc

Go to the "Monitor" section and find whatever windows is calling your monitor. Right click it and click "Update driver software", then choose "Browse my computer for driver software" and point it to that .inf file you downloaded.

--------------------------

Are you connected directly from a displayport 2.0 output of a gpu and using dp 2.0 cable? Which gpu? Is there a different displayport output you can try?

Last edited:
You don't need to mess with monitor "drivers." It should be a purely plug and play affair. It couldn't hurt to try it, but on my PC I just plugged it in and did nothing else. ULMB and G-sync work like a charm.

Yes it can't hurt to try it. Should try anything reasonable that you can think of.

Looks like he is using two 970's in sli so maybe he has more than one displayport output to choose from even on one of the cards which is why I suggested he try a different port. I'm curious what brand/model of 970's he is using and what outputs they have.

I'd also try taking one card out and see if it works singly in the interest of tracking down the problem.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/791895/g-sync-option-no-longer-availabale/?offset=2
Hey guys trying to track down my G-Sync problem. I have 970 SLI and an ACER XB280HK 4k G-Sync. The G-Sync option was available when I first installed the monitor with my 680 and then again with my single 970 and then when I went SLI. (this was all within 3 days of each other. After several driver updates the option is no longer availble to turn on in the control panel. I tried rolling back drivers to the originial 900 series but that still doesn't work. I have tried tuning SLI off and on and that doesn't work either. I'm thinking the monitor maybe broken? Any ideas guys?

supposedly a known issue, and nvidia are working on it.

Last edited:
Hi, I got myself a Swift in mid November and have been mostly happy with it. But, I seem to be getting what some people have described as a "screen door effect" during fast motions. Is this considered normal for this monitor? It seems kind of odd if it is, what with the advertised motion clarity and all. I also have what I'd describe as moderate BLB on every edge to some degree and some panel uniformity issues. I know some of this comes with the territory since it's TN, but is all of this "normal"? I don't know if I should try RMAing with ASUS. If they'd accept an RMA I'd be concerned over getting a worse one in return. It's not that big of a deal, but it was $800 so I really don't know if I should be happy putting up with these problems. I appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Yes it can't hurt to try it. Should try anything reasonable that you can think of.

Looks like he is using two 970's in sli so maybe he has more than one displayport output to choose from even on one of the cards which is why I suggested he try a different port. I'm curious what brand/model of 970's he is using and what outputs they have.

I'd also try taking one card out and see if it works singly in the interest of tracking down the problem.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/791895/g-sync-option-no-longer-availabale/?offset=2
I'm running 2 STRIX 970s in SLI and have no problem with G-sync. Something to point out, now that you mention it, is that the monitor should be plugged into the DP output on GPU1 (the top card). G-sync even works fine for me with an HDTV plugged into the HDMI while gaming.

I'm running 2 STRIX 970s in SLI and have no problem with G-sync. Something to point out, now that you mention it, is that the monitor should be plugged into the DP output on GPU1 (the top card). G-sync even works fine for me with an HDTV plugged into the HDMI while gaming.

Same for me (2x Gigabyte 970s).

Best way to use ULMB is to use Nvidia control panel to set V-Sync to off (or anything other than G-Sync) for a particular game's profile. Then when in game you can just hit the turbo button to cycle to 120 Hz and ULMB will be enabled (if it's checked in the display's menu of course). When you end the game it reverts back to 144 Hz. This way you can easily set games that are very fast paced or run at really high framerate to use ULMB and use G-Sync for everything else.

Also according to reviews overdrive should be set to "Normal" for best performance. "Extreme" causes too much overshoot.

Hi, I got myself a Swift in mid November and have been mostly happy with it. But, I seem to be getting what some people have described as a "screen door effect" during fast motions. Is this considered normal for this monitor? It seems kind of odd if it is, what with the advertised motion clarity and all. I also have what I'd describe as moderate BLB on every edge to some degree and some panel uniformity issues. I know some of this comes with the territory since it's TN, but is all of this "normal"? I don't know if I should try RMAing with ASUS. If they'd accept an RMA I'd be concerned over getting a worse one in return. It's not that big of a deal, but it was $800 so I really don't know if I should be happy putting up with these problems. I appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Unfortunately the screen door effect is "normal" in this case. I notice it in games where the action isn't frenetic (like RTSs) but not in FPSs as much.

Just picked up an ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift PG278Q 27" WQHD G-Sync LED Monitor at Micro Center.
Perfect display.

Unfortunately the screen door effect is "normal" in this case. I notice it in games where the action isn't frenetic (like RTSs) but not in FPSs as much.
And the screendoor effect is caused by the matte AG coating they used on the panel, not anything wrong with the panel itself. It's most notable to me on white or light backgrounds. It is sometimes annoying reading text on this thing.

Well after getting notifications from Newegg that it was available I ordered it (from Amazon). I have prime so I should get it early next week.

Hoepfully it's not a dud and it doesn't die on me after 3 months.

Negative.

Its weird that even with this very finely aimed enthusiast monitor they still can't get ULMB tech working right. Yet on my Sony 50 inch W800B Black frame insertion mode (called Impulse mode) works fantastically. I don't understand why these manufacturers can't rein in this problem..

If a middle range TV can do it without the weird issues encountered among higher end PC gaming monitors then what excuse is there now that its no longer "experimental" technology for these displays but a front and forward advertised feature?

Back