ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Maybe your right.. I really would like to see the asus in action though. Does anyone know when Bestbuy might get another shipment? I think they have a 30 day return policy so I could test it out & see if its the right fit for me. As far as colors go will I notice a huge difference in the Asus from my current IPS? I love the vibrant lively colors of IPS...

Not after adjusting it you shouldn't.

After a few days with this monitor I can say G-Sync is one of the most transformative technologies I can remember in PC gaming. The smoothness even with lower frame rates, the complete removal of screen tearing. It's amazing. A bit pricey but if you can swing it, worth every dime.

I had some concerns if G-Sync was as amazing as people say. It definitely is. This time the hype is real.

After a few days with this monitor I can say G-Sync is one of the most transformative technologies I can remember in PC gaming. The smoothness even with lower frame rates, the complete removal of screen tearing. It's amazing. A bit pricey but if you can swing it, worth every dime.

I had some concerns if G-Sync was as amazing as people say. It definitely is. This time the hype is real.

Most people have that opinion of them out of the box. The number of people experiencing significant issues 1-3 months after purchase is growing fast enough to be concerning, though. I really want to like the Swift, but the more I research it, the more I wonder if perhaps either they launched it a bit prematurely, or Asus' QC has just really taken a turn for the worse. It feels like the worst "panel lottery" odds I've ever seen, and Asus isn't exactly know for a buttery smooth RMA process.

Good luck with yours, though. I hope it proves out to be one of the good ones.

Any tips on calibrating (without hardware)? My desktop has a very washed out look to it. It also has trouble displaying solid colors throughout the display, a green background color looks like this
http://cdn.desktopwallpapers4.me/wa...radient-blur-1920x1080-abstract-wallpaper.jpg
(without the white spots, not my image)

I've brought the brightness down to 18, contrast is at 50. Raised digital vibrance to 55 (in nvidia)

It doesn't bother me as much while watching videos or playing games, but in desktop mode, side-by-side with a more accurate monitor, it drives me nuts.

Or those of you with multi-monitor, did you give up the side displays (productivity wise, I don't think I can live without that)

edit: just rediscovered this website. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ I'll give it a run through tonight.

Last edited:
[H]appymeal;1041321511 said:
Any tips on calibrating (without hardware)? My desktop has a very washed out look to it. It also has trouble displaying solid colors throughout the display, a green background color looks like this
http://cdn.desktopwallpapers4.me/wa...radient-blur-1920x1080-abstract-wallpaper.jpg
(without the white spots, not my image)

I've brought the brightness down to 18, contrast is at 50. Raised digital vibrance to 55 (in nvidia)

It doesn't bother me as much while watching videos or playing games, but in desktop mode, side-by-side with a more accurate monitor, it drives me nuts.

Or those of you with multi-monitor, did you give up the side displays (productivity wise, I don't think I can live without that)

edit: just rediscovered this website. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ I'll give it a run through tonight.
To your second point, this monitor does have some brightness uniformity issues. They went away on mine after a couple of weeks of use. The only problem left on mine is the bottom-right corner appears just a little brighter than the rest of the screen. No BLB or hotspots.

I am selling mine in the UK for £500 + £15 delivery. I quit gaming and I hardly use it. The monitor is spotless, perfect pixel and hardly any blacklight bleed. Its even got the protective film stuck to the back. Its an October 2014 build. Would anyone be interested?

I might be selling my Swift (perfect shape, no dead pixels or anything.) Would this interest anyone here? I'm in the States.

I know it's a pricey item but if they're still hard to find in stock I could help someone out. Wouldn't be looking to price gouge anyone either :)

The problem with buying one of these used is the potential RMA nightmare when the monitor inevitably dies (and it will).

The problem with buying one of these used is the potential RMA nightmare when the monitor inevitably dies (and it will).

Saying it will inevitably die is quite an exaggeration. :eek: But I'm not going to argue that with you.
In any case, if anyone is interested in a good deal on one that's been working flawlessly for weeks, send me a PM (I'll make a thread in FS/FT eventually.)

Gsync is the real deal. I just beat Alien Isolation and playing the game on this monitor was pure perfection. No tearing, perfect visuals, buttery smooth motion. This is what I've always dreamed about in games and I finally got my wish.

I've had my Swift for a couple weeks now. I came from using mediocre or bad 1080p panels for years. Im completely satisfied. I have zero regrets/buyer's remorse. That's actually rare for me on a purchase like this as I'm usually a cheap bastard. I love the monitor.

I think the QC issues (while real) are overblown and should not deter people from buying this awesome monitor.

I've got three of them for about a month and a half and no major issues. There was a single stuck pixel on one monitor, and the light on another one stays white when in standby mode. Otherwise everything is working perfect.

.....<snip>....

As long as they fix the issue and get me a replacement in 2 - 3 weeks (if I am unlucky enough to have it happen to my monitor) it's not the end of the world for me personally.
I don't want it to be chronic monitor rotation back to factory after the first time if it happens to me though - now that would be reason to go all !^$&!#@!!!!! asus on this, as would denial of the issue and denial of rma's. None of that is happening so far as I can see as of yet. The monitor has a 3yr warranty so it would really be dumb of asus to not fix the issue and repeat RMA over three years.

http://rog.asus.com/339252014/gaming-monitors/faq-rog-swift-pg278q-27-inch-g-sync-gaming-monitor/
http://rog.asus.com/339252014/gaming-monitors/faq-rog-swift-pg278q-27-inch-g-sync-gaming-monitor/
What is the warranty?

3-year system and panel warranty.

The actual scary part for me on that thread is the actual RMA.
People have been posting about this issue in the thread for a good month and not a peep from a CS Rep or anything and no acknowledgment of the issue by ASUS. My guess is if they wanted to say something they would have done so already.

They all seem to come back detached from the base and jumbling around in the box.
One guy mentioned the rep basically told him they rotated monitors on a first come first serve basis so you're not guaranteed to get your own monitor back and many of those that have gotten it back still had the issue and the invoice just said "unit repaired" with no detail of what was done, what the issue was.... It just seems beyond scary and incompetent for a product of this price.

Stuff like this:
" at least the retailer acknowledged the problem - they reproduced and recorded the problem themselves after Asus returned the monitor saying nothing was wrong with it and sent it back to them."
"I just got my RMA back. It's a November manufacture date. Came in new box, everything looked new even the monitor. Only thing they put a different serial number over old one."

Means it could be months before you get anything back that is actually repaired... if ever.
Well like I said, considering these have a 3 year warranty it would be stupid of them to not actually fix the issue and just keep rotating monitors every 3 - 6 months for three years potentially RMA'ing monitors 6 to 12 times over the warranty period. Time will tell but I can't imagine that being a viable scenario.

good luck man. Hope mine isn't a time bomb. I haven't been gaming as hard as I might have been lately, more intermittently. Wonder if it's a matter of how many miles on it (hope not).
Also wonder if the g-sync module is overheating or something on the one's that happens to, since they said they "overclocked" the g-sync module to hit 144hz and I believe had to add heatsinks or something. Or wonder if they are vulnerable to dirty electric. Could just be a mfg defect or other fault I guess. Hopefully refurbish-able over time with asus in the long run. Glad I kept my samsung around as a back up just in case I guess. At least if it's a good enough segment of people affected there shouldn't be much question of whether it is a legit rma condition, in theory anyway.

From that thread you posted:
::::::RMA Update:::::

I had the horizontal lines problem, but other than that a pixel perfect monitor with very little back bleed. I RMA'd my monitor on 11/10/14 because the text was blurry and I was having the same issues as everyone else here.

Today (12/12/2014) I got my replacement monitor back. I say replacement because it appears they sent me a completely new monitor in the original box, still factory sealed and with all cables/retail accessories. This new monitor has a September created date. My old one was July. I got everything hooked up and this monitor (just like my last) is completely flawless. This isn't too surprising to me as this problem seems to show itself after some time has passed. I will try and update every couple months or when the problem comes back but I just wanted to let everyone know what happened with my RMA.

I just got my RMA back. It's a November manufacture date. Came in new box, everything looked new even the monitor. Only thing they put a different serial number over old one. Anyways no issues so far but these issues usually take months like my first one.

Took about 2-3 weeks to get it replaced. Sent to California RMA.

Last edited:
Wow! Still in stock. I'm shocked.

Maybe it's because the Acer XB270HU was announced. ;)

If that thing actually delivers I might actually be able to do what I had hoped to do with the PG278Q - portrait surround with three displays.

I have done more PC gaming in the last few weeks than the last year with this ROG Swift.

It's not perfection though, the AG matte layer is just not good enough for prolonged work such as reading text or coding.

I have done more PC gaming in the last few weeks than the last year with this ROG Swift.

It's not perfection though, the AG matte layer is just not good enough for prolonged work such as reading text or coding.

Asus Republic of Prolonged Work Such as Reading Text or Coding Swift?

I don't like it much for coding either, although the AG layer is a step up from my U3011.

The monitor shines in gaming, but there's just something crappy and "off" about the image quality for day-to-day use IMO.

IPS will be a smearfest. Not comparable imo.

You could be Right don't like the stand on the ACER either Hockey puck like someone said but it's not about the stand most of the time I think BENQ makes the best stands then maybe DELL then maybe ASUS.

IPS will be a smearfest. Not comparable imo.
You could be Right don't like the stand on the ACER either Hockey puck like someone said but it's not about the stand most of the time I think BENQ makes the best stands then maybe DELL then maybe ASUS.

Acer announced both the XB270HU TN 1440p Gsync and the XG270HU IPS (AHVA) 1440p Gsync. Something for everyone.

I don't like it much for coding either, although the AG layer is a step up from my U3011.
The monitor shines in gaming, but there's just something crappy and "off" about the image quality for day-to-day use IMO.
Asus Republic of Prolonged Work Such as Reading Text or Coding Swift?
I realized with my first-gen 23.6" 120hz TN that it can't do it all, so I also bought a 24" IPS 1200p 'pro' monitor. Dual monitors are so much better in more ways than one, and I think that' still going to be the case, even with Acer's IPS G-Sync (but we will have to wait for the hands-on impressions)

Acer announced both the XB270HU TN 1440p Gsync and the XG270HU IPS (AHVA) 1440p Gsync. Something for everyone.
Stop spreading misinformation. The XB270HU is IPS with G-Sync and the XG270HU is TN without.

How do you keep your gamma settings loaded at all times? Games, movie apps, etc often turn it off. Even when it is set to always use in nvidia control panel.

Are there any third party apps you use? I'm tempted to return my monitor, out of the box my gamma is way way off. Looks fine when it is calibrated, but it won't stay calibrated.

Even during desktop use, I have to occasionally go into the control panel and toggle it on/off to get get the gamma back.

At the minimum, anyone have an ahk script that toggles it with a single keystroke? Did you all get perfect gamma from yours out of the box? Mine is around 1.9 when warmed up.

[H]appymeal;1041334722 said:
How do you keep your gamma settings loaded at all times? Games, movie apps, etc often turn it off. Even when it is set to always use in nvidia control panel.

Are there any third party apps you use? I'm tempted to return my monitor, out of the box my gamma is way way off. Looks fine when it is calibrated, but it won't stay calibrated.

Even during desktop use, I have to occasionally go into the control panel and toggle it on/off to get get the gamma back.

At the minimum, anyone have an ahk script that toggles it with a single keystroke? Did you all get perfect gamma from yours out of the box? Mine is around 1.9 when warmed up.

Check out Monitor Calibration Wizard. It makes using the desktop etc. bearable. If I didn't have that I would have probably return my Asus already.

Check out Monitor Calibration Wizard. It makes using the desktop etc. bearable. If I didn't have that I would have probably return my Asus already.

Yea me too. I have to manually adjust the gamma in some games but not that many. Some games come with a picture or two to help you adjust it but for those that don't it's well... anything but accurate since I'm doing it with my eyes alone.

But assuming my gamma is about 15% too low I try to adjust the sliders based on that number when I have really no other option.

Yea me too. I have to manually adjust the gamma in some games but not that many. Some games come with a picture or two to help you adjust it but for those that don't it's well... anything but accurate since I'm doing it with my eyes alone.

But assuming my gamma is about 15% too low I try to adjust the sliders based on that number when I have really no other option.

For games I use ReShade and SweetFX.

I found the LUT programs won't work for games that completely bypass LUT profiles (I have tried CPKeeper, MCW, Calibrilla, ColorSustainer), strangely, all of the Diablo-esque games are the only offenders, D3 and Grim Dawn specifically, so I have to run them in Windowed fullscreen mode, not a huge loss as those games do not really benefit that much from G-Sync anyhow.

At least the FPS games I tried usually respects the LUT enforcers. I just hope that there are programs out there that does LUT profiles at a drivers level (so that games that bypass LUT completely can benefit).

This remains to be my only problem with Swift.

Last edited:
[H]appymeal;1041334722 said:

I'm glad you posted this. Mine was about 1.7-1.8 out of the box and I thought I had gone crazy or just had a complete fluke, since the TFTcentral review shows near-perfect gamma (2.2) even before calibration. I'm just using Nvidia control panel, and I don't seem to have issues with it sticking for regular desktop use, but as you say, games are sometimes an issue. I was debating returning it, but I really like it other than that, and mine seems to have very minimal BLB.

Back