ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Hmm, maybe, but I'm not sure. All I know is that if I play any first person shooter with a controller in gsync, the game is buttery smooth. It's crazy how smooth it is, even as frame rates fluctuate. But when I play any of the games with keyboard/mouse, it just doesn't look/feel as smooth.

Hmm, maybe, but I'm not sure. All I know is that if I play any first person shooter with a controller in gsync, the game is buttery smooth. It's crazy how smooth it is, even as frame rates fluctuate. But when I play any of the games with keyboard/mouse, it just doesn't look/feel as smooth.

Like he said, the controller has a slower more uniform input compared to a mouse. Do you have "mouse smoothing" disabled in the game menu? Play around with different refresh rates and turbo settings. Buy a hard gaming mouse pad and a high polling rate mouse.

Like he said, the controller has a slower more uniform input compared to a mouse. Do you have "mouse smoothing" disabled in the game menu? Play around with different refresh rates and turbo settings. Buy a hard gaming mouse pad and a high polling rate mouse.

Yeah probably a crappy mouse setting somewhere.

Might want to check out this guide.

I mentioned this once or twice in this thread already but it keeps coming up again.

I am using a high quality 15' display port cable I got from amazon. I run it directly from my gpu to monitor, no breaks. It's working perfectly. The distance from my pc case which is a floor above my desk was a concern and 15' just makes it, but glad to report it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IU1R29I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Gamepads are sweepy-slow by mechanics and even artificially in code sometimes. Most pc users don't want that at all. I don't want a slow "turret sweep" holding back the speed of my hand and eyes personally. Controllers are also incapable of high degree of motion articulation (motion patterns.. finely diverted motion paths at irregular points in a path, etc).
Graphics tablet pen > mouse > gamepad as far as motion articulation goes. Try drawing/writing your name with a pen, then a mouse then a gamepad at any moderate to high speed. Gamepads are incapable and often use code in console games such as larger hit boxes, "bullet gravity" when near the hitboxes, etc.. to compensate for their bad limitations. Their slowness also helps to mask how bad the framerate on consoles is. Which makes me wonder what your average fps is on the crysis scenario you mentioned.

In regard to blur.. you can try to move your mouse really slow, on an ips screen for example, in an attempt to avoid making the screen blur worse.. but any time you speed it up it will smear the viewport. Some people also adopt a flick from A to B method of using their mouse, I call it gnat FoV movement, which can sort of "blink" past the FoV motion travel and blur. Other people seem to just blank their stare during FoV movement, not registering the smear durations on blurry monitors since they are so used to crappy lcd tech I guess.

In regard to motion articulation.. say you are doing a slow gamepad "turret sweep" at a lower fps. The new frames will fit the sluggish motion sweep more or less. Then you try it with a mouse and you are unshackled - switching from a sluggish tank to a flying rocket ufo whose patterns aren't being drawn in time at insufficient frame rates. Even if your hz is very high, those hz of screen updates aren't being filled with new states of motion and positioning to articulate the faster and more defined pathing you are doing with your mouse. You will also experience a little more motion blur (and perhaps even some overshoot) at high speeds since even 144hz is "only" a 60% blur reduction compared to 60hz baseline smear blur. In order to get essentially zero blur you'd have to use ulmb mode, and that pretty much requires crazy high average fps near the max hz of the monitor or well over it optimally.

Last edited:
I had a Logitech mouse (MX Revolution) and it had a horrid poll rate (maybe as low as 60Hz).

I know cause I got a 120Hz monitor and noticed choppy camera movement on the mouse while the keyboard was smooth. Getting a Razer DeathAdder fixed the problem (1000Hz polling rate).

I now use the SteelSeries Rival and it works great with the Rog Swift.

I had a Logitech mouse (MX Revolution) and it had a horrid poll rate (maybe as low as 60Hz).

I know cause I got a 120Hz monitor and noticed choppy camera movement on the mouse while the keyboard was smooth. Getting a Razer DeathAdder fixed the problem (1000Hz polling rate).

I now use the SteelSeries Rival and it works great with the Rog Swift.
Good point on the polling rate of your mouse. I have a G700S that I set to 500 Hz when running on the battery and set to 1000 Hz when plugged in, so this thought never occurred to me. I have the resolution set to 800 DPI and it's pretty good for both the desktop and the default sensitivity in most games at 1440p. I would definitely invest in a mouse with a polling rate of at least 500 Hz with this monitor.

Thanks for tips, everyone. I've noticed that out of everything I've tried, the biggest difference is setting the mouse sensitivity in game to as low as possible and then setting the dpi to my desired speed. That seems to make the biggest impact out of everything.

I think what it just boils down to is when using a controller, when you're turning in a first person shooter, you're moving at a uniform speed, thus giving the appearance of smoothness.

For Crysis 3, my frame rates are usually above 60 fps.

I'm starting to see some weird artifacts on mine. It's kind of hard to tell when it's happening, but it looks like faint vertical lines in the image. I played a bit of Mirror's Edge last night, and it was more pronounced there than elsewhere. It haven't noticed it in general Windows, just games.

...but it's within the realm of "is it supposed to look like this? Maybe the panel is just kinda crappy"

Should I RMA it now, or wait to see worse issues?

Its the 'inversion' that people are talking about and they all do it.

That definitely sounds like it was skipping pixels, and you just used a round-about way to avoid it.

Some games, like Assassin's Creed 1, will never feel smooth with a mouse, because the minimum mumber of pixels you can move (the camera) at a time is something like 3, even at minimum sensitivity. With the gamepad you can move the camera right down to 1 pixel at a time. This is a feature of the typical shitty console port, where M&K was an afterthought.

Ah, interesting. If it's skipping pixels, there's no way to fix it, I presume?

I have had three and they all did it. 2 from August 1 from October.

It's possible that my eyes just can't see it.

Only issue I can see on mine is the green ghosting (which is apparently normal from what I've read) on some colour transitions, but I mostly see this on the desktop (with the gray borders on the Windows - I don't use Aero), I really can't say I've ever seen it in games or films.

Wondering if anyone else is having the same issues I've been having lately. Panel showed up about a month ago with no issues great colors, fast response setting it up was a breeze. Gsync worked as advertised had no issues with alien isolation / shadows of mordor. But i have tried to play Far cry 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition ( i know both are buggy but both seem to have the same issue) Both games play fine (red light on and smooth gameplay) and after a random amount of time both of these games will force itself into windowed mode thus defeating sli and gsync. I will flicker between full screen and windowed, This morning i changed the refresh rate to 60 and didn't have it do this so i'm just wondering if my monitor has issues with the two higher refresh options.

I've tried a couple forums but haven't seen anyone else having the same issues so i figured i'd post here.

System
I7 - 3960
16 gigs of ram
2x 980 sli
All drives are SSD's

Snagged one today from Amazon for $737 (plus tax :mad: ). Initial shipping timeline said Dec 30, but I got the notice that said it should show up next Monday instead. Nice.

I've been through about 4 different monitors lately and nothing fits me well, here's hoping this one will scratch the itch.

Wondering if anyone else is having the same issues I've been having lately. Panel showed up about a month ago with no issues great colors, fast response setting it up was a breeze. Gsync worked as advertised had no issues with alien isolation / shadows of mordor. But i have tried to play Far cry 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition ( i know both are buggy but both seem to have the same issue) Both games play fine (red light on and smooth gameplay) and after a random amount of time both of these games will force itself into windowed mode thus defeating sli and gsync. I will flicker between full screen and windowed, This morning i changed the refresh rate to 60 and didn't have it do this so i'm just wondering if my monitor has issues with the two higher refresh options.

I've tried a couple forums but haven't seen anyone else having the same issues so i figured i'd post here.

System
I7 - 3960
16 gigs of ram
2x 980 sli
All drives are SSD's

Any chance the change from fullscreen to wondowed is accompanied by the "low performance" warning and a prompt to kill Aero?

System
I7 - 3960
16 gigs of ram
2x 980 sli
All drives are SSD's
I think this is a SLI problem because I experience the same thing occasionally with 2x GTX 970. Alien Isolation actually locked my computer up when it happened because apparently that game doesn't like being alt+tabbed or switched to windowed. This only happens to me once per startup.
Any chance the change from fullscreen to wondowed is accompanied by the "low performance" warning and a prompt to kill Aero?
In my case this does not happen.

Gsync worked as advertised had no issues with alien isolation / shadows of mordor. But i have tried to play Far cry 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition ( i know both are buggy but both seem to have the same issue) Both games play fine (red light on and smooth gameplay) and after a random amount of time both of these games will force itself into windowed mode thus defeating sli and gsync. I will flicker between full screen and windowed

For me FC4 only goes to windowed mode occasionally when it starts and gets to the start menu. But other than that I've never seen your issue with 2x770 or 2x970 with either G-Sync or ULMB.

I'd look into background processes that might do this or try reinstalling the drivers by first removing them in safe mode with Display Driver Uninstaller (see geforce.com forums).

If I remember correctly alt+tab in Alien Isolation was ok too though not very fast.

I see the green on patterns 1 and 2. The others turn dark gray. I assume that is normal (it happens the same on all 3 my Swifts).

I see the green on patterns 1 and 2. The others turn dark gray. I assume that is normal (it happens the same on all 3 my Swifts).

Oh, you're right. It is only on Pattern 1 and 2. I have no idea where I saw that test, but it was in my browser history. I don't even know what the hell it does. It's embarrassing, but I'm clueless when it comes to monitors. I've never had a good monitor. Not even close. Quite frankly, I'm completely blown away by this monitor :eek:

I've been playing with mine for a few days. The colors seem less saturated than with my U3011, but after awhile I've come to actually prefer the saturation on the Swift.

For gaming, this seems like an entirely new computer. It definitely breathed new life into my 780 SLI, which struggled with Vsync in some of the latest games. It's extremely fast compared to the 30" Dell (obviously). It's also a noticeable step above the 23" Alienware 3d monitor I had a couple of years ago.

I couldn't stand how ULMB butchered the colors, and it didn't seem to work that well anyway, so I prefer Gsync for now.

The instant on/off is absolutely amazing. Something so small but so awesome. My first impressions of the monitor are that it is a great piece of hardware. Coming from a past that involved nothing but below average 1080p displays... it's amazing.

I've been playing with mine for a few days. The colors seem less saturated than with my U3011, but after awhile I've come to actually prefer the saturation on the Swift.

For gaming, this seems like an entirely new computer. It definitely breathed new life into my 780 SLI, which struggled with Vsync in some of the latest games. It's extremely fast compared to the 30" Dell (obviously). It's also a noticeable step above the 23" Alienware 3d monitor I had a couple of years ago.

I couldn't stand how ULMB butchered the colors, and it didn't seem to work that well anyway, so I prefer Gsync for now.

I prefer GSYNC over Ulmb as well, I've tried it several times and can't see why anyone would choose it over Gsync.

I thought I'd use ULMB for Quake/Unreal/Jedi Academy etc but nope, G-Sync feels billion times better to me. With ULMB I instantly notice the tearing and if I enable v-sync I feel the input lag, which puzzles me as at 100 or 125fps the v-sync input lag should be REALLY small.

I've tried other modes myself and find G-sync to be the way to go most if not all the time.

YpSNO0T.jpg

Is there any way to use this monitor with a decently lengthy(5-10m) cable?

I've got a 10' cable on one of mine as the standard cable came up way too short. For whatever reason it didn't want to go to 144Hz when I connected it but after a reboot it did just fine.

This keeps coming up, was only a few posts ago last time
I mentioned this once or twice in this thread already but it keeps coming up again.

I am using a high quality 15' display port cable I got from amazon. I run it directly from my gpu to monitor, no breaks. It's working perfectly. The distance from my pc case which is a floor above my desk was a concern and 15' just makes it, but glad to report it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IU1R29I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So I just built a new rig and moved to Win 8.1 Pro on a Maximus V and with it a new set of peculiarities:
- The Swift always defaults to 60hz on reboot no matter what the NV control panel says. Didn't do that under Win 7. I was able to set it and forget it.
- Even with the desktop manually set to 144hz it resets to 60 when jumping in game, again irrespective of the game or NV CP settings.

Is this anyone else's experience?

Did you change the monitor refresh overclocking setting by mistake? I would check that first.

Later, totally user error.

I failed to realize that you spec refresh on the "change resolution" tab and not the "adjust desktop size and position" tab. Both have refresh drop-downs.

Great to hear.

I didn't even know there was another place to change the refresh rate.

I'll watch out for that.

Has anyone paired one of these with an IPS panel for desktop use? I'm wondering how different the color palette is compared to a normal full sRGB IPS display. I used to have a TN panel next to a IPS and could never get them to look similar, even though I calibrated both to the same standard. Does the fact that this is an 8bit TN panel make a difference there?

Back