ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Well fuck, my PG278Q developed the same issues after ca. 2 months (the panel was otherwise perfect on arrival).

After reading the comments on asus's forum about their shitty RMA-process, Im a lil bit concerned:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ft-PG278Q-Blurry-text-and-bad-quality-overall
Guess I'll have to wait and see how it works out.

What baffles me, is that Asus still keeps quite about the issue, which seems to be very widespread...

good luck man. Hope mine isn't a time bomb. I haven't been gaming as hard as I might have been lately, more intermittently. Wonder if it's a matter of how many miles on it (hope not).
Also wonder if the g-sync module is overheating or something on the one's that happens to, since they said they "overclocked" the g-sync module to hit 144hz and I believe had to add heatsinks or something. Or wonder if they are vulnerable to dirty electric. Could just be a mfg defect or other fault I guess. Hopefully refurbish-able over time with asus in the long run. Glad I kept my samsung around as a back up just in case I guess. At least if it's a good enough segment of people affected there shouldn't be much question of whether it is a legit rma condition, in theory anyway.

From that thread you posted:

::::::RMA Update:::::

I had the horizontal lines problem, but other than that a pixel perfect monitor with very little back bleed. I RMA'd my monitor on 11/10/14 because the text was blurry and I was having the same issues as everyone else here.

Today (12/12/2014) I got my replacement monitor back. I say replacement because it appears they sent me a completely new monitor in the original box, still factory sealed and with all cables/retail accessories. This new monitor has a September created date. My old one was July. I got everything hooked up and this monitor (just like my last) is completely flawless. This isn't too surprising to me as this problem seems to show itself after some time has passed. I will try and update every couple months or when the problem comes back but I just wanted to let everyone know what happened with my RMA.

I just got my RMA back. It's a November manufacture date. Came in new box, everything looked new even the monitor. Only thing they put a different serial number over old one. Anyways no issues so far but these issues usually take months like my first one.

Took about 2-3 weeks to get it replaced. Sent to California RMA.

Last edited:
So I'm seeing a weird issue:

After my monitor has gone to sleep (after the system hasn't been used for 25 minutes, HDs never spin down and hybrid sleep is disabled) and reawakened I get extremely poor performance after starting up BF 4. My FPS will barely hit 50 in a map like Pearl Market (not particularly resource intensive) and turn the experience into a laggy mess. After finishing out the map the server switched to Guilin Peaks and as you can imagine things got even worse.

I pause here to state that I get between 110-140 FPS in-game after a fresh boot. I'm not running crazy settings, either. In fact it's a mixture to balance looks with performance. I'm also running dual monitors with the other on DVI.

Back to Guilin. I'm kind of freaking out. I mean, I'm running a new MSI 980GTX so if anything I should be running nice and smooth but the stutters and low frames (both are happening) are horrid. I decide to take action and unplug the DP cable from the Swift and re-seat it. One alt-tab later I'm back to the creamy-smooth g-synch experience.

Has anyone else seen this?

Opie I know I'm going to drive you nuts repeating this suggestion but for grins: Take the second monitor out of the food chain entirely so you can process of eliminate this. ;)

I'll give it a shot.

Also found that nvidia has posted a hotfix driver for the 900s specifically in regard to DP issues. Fingers crossed.

Got mine today. Pre-ordered it from Newegg back in November and they got stock this week. Worth every penny if you ask me. Beautiful monitor.

I'm really surprised there is still stock issues, whether genuine or fabricated. Anyway, grats on your awesome monitor!

As long as we're posting issues, my monitor died a week or two ago. It was right around 3 months old. For about a week or two I had the green line/blurry text issue, then it suddenly became just a textured gray screen with random hot pixels spread over it. (completely dead) ASUS support tried to give me the run around and make me pay for return shipping, but I eventually convinced them to pay shipping both ways. Amusingly, once I got the box out to send it back I noticed that it comes with "VIP" service, which includes free 2-way shipping. So the ASUS support people aren't great so far, but we'll see how it went once I get the replacement back.

So I'm seeing a weird issue:

After my monitor has gone to sleep (after the system hasn't been used for 25 minutes, HDs never spin down and hybrid sleep is disabled) and reawakened I get extremely poor performance after starting up BF 4. My FPS will barely hit 50 in a map like Pearl Market (not particularly resource intensive) and turn the experience into a laggy mess. After finishing out the map the server switched to Guilin Peaks and as you can imagine things got even worse.

I pause here to state that I get between 110-140 FPS in-game after a fresh boot. I'm not running crazy settings, either. In fact it's a mixture to balance looks with performance. I'm also running dual monitors with the other on DVI.

Back to Guilin. I'm kind of freaking out. I mean, I'm running a new MSI 980GTX so if anything I should be running nice and smooth but the stutters and low frames (both are happening) are horrid. I decide to take action and unplug the DP cable from the Swift and re-seat it. One alt-tab later I'm back to the creamy-smooth g-synch experience.

Has anyone else seen this?

I run into the same sort of problem, but this tends to happen with Warframe for me. It almost feels like a Gsync malfunction, where the framerate goes from a normal speed to a sudden lockdown floating between 23-54 FPS, and decreasing until it becomes unresponsive entirely. After a restart, everything is just fine.

I'm now seriously leaning towards the Acer 18" 4K.
Well from that thread asus is replacing defective ones so the RMA fears at least seem unwarranted, and if it is a known issue should make for little question on rma authorization.
The down side is that it takes 2 - 3 weeks to get one back.
I'll keep my samsung 27" 120hz handy to swap in, in case I ever need replacement over a few weeks but hopefully it's not a problem on all of the swifts.

Add me to the list of ROG Swift owners who got fucked over.

I turned on the monitor today, and the text was blurry. I see faint horizontal lines too.

This is just a defective/bad design. I fully expect all of them to develop this problem eventually.

Never buying another Asus monitor. It's pretty sad when Acer (seriously, Acer?) has the best gaming monitor on the market right now.

someone should make an owner list for this thread and reference issues like you suggested, even if you mean it metaphorically in your comment.

Would be good to know
- How many of us own one (or more than one).
- How long they've had it
- and how heavily they've used it (more hours might mean faster to fail calendar wise and vice-versa).

Wonder if asus will release info on what is causing it. I'm curious if it's the overclocked g-sync module 144hz overheating or otherwise crapping out.

As long as they fix the issue and get me a replacement in 2 - 3 weeks (if I am unlucky enough to have it happen to my monitor) it's not the end of the world for me personally.
I don't want it to be chronic monitor rotation back to factory after the first time if it happens to me though - now that would be reason to go all !^$&!#@!!!!! asus on this, as would denial of the issue and denial of rma's. None of that is happening so far as I can see as of yet. The monitor has a 3yr warranty so it would really be dumb of asus to not fix the issue and repeat RMA over three years.

http://rog.asus.com/339252014/gaming-monitors/faq-rog-swift-pg278q-27-inch-g-sync-gaming-monitor/
What is the warranty?

3-year system and panel warranty.

Last edited:
I have 3 of them, for about 1 month.

I use them actively for around 4 hours each day (more on weekends), the rest of the time they are in standby.

There are only 2 small issues:
- 1 dead/stuck pixel (hard to notice, and I put it on the side screen).
- One monitor sometimes has a white light in standby mode (others are orange).

I have not seen any lines/artifacts/text issues and they seem to be working well. I play in 3D Vision most of the time and only used G-Sync or ULMB a couple times for testing.

Last edited:
This is sad. I was looking forward to upgrade my display to 3k-4k monitor. :(. I've been so accustomed to 120hz but now I feel like trying to go back and try the LG U series

I have had my Swift since September (4 months). Heavy gaming and movies. I love it no problems at all.

Specs:

i7920 @ 4.0 ghz
12 gigs ram @ 1600 mhz
2x EVGA 680s in SLI
Windows 7 64 bit

Mostly BF4, Movies and web surfing.

All those posts reporting problems are scary... But I dunno, we don't have any actual data, just forum posts here and there. And of course people with issues are going to be vocal when we're talking about a high end product like this. This monitor costs probably more than my rig haha. But yeah, I'm definitely not selling my old monitor just yet :/

But really, I love It. G-sync, 1440p, ULMB, all of it. The flexibiltiy in terms of resolution/refresh rate/framerate is also really really nice for older games or video playback. My gtx 670 runs out of horsepower before it runs out of vram, which is a relief for me as I hate the effects of insufficient vram. Yeah, I have to use 1080p in the most demanding games but it doesn't bother me that much tbh. Upscaled 1080p doesn't look atrocious on this monitor, it's like 1080p + high FXAA on my old screen, okay-ish. And eventually I will upgrade my GPU (at the very least for Star Wars Battlefront, but most likely before that)

The actual scary part for me on that thread is the actual RMA.
People have been posting about this issue in the thread for a good month and not a peep from a CS Rep or anything and no acknowledgment of the issue by ASUS. My guess is if they wanted to say something they would have done so already.

They all seem to come back detached from the base and jumbling around in the box.
One guy mentioned the rep basically told him they rotated monitors on a first come first serve basis so you're not guaranteed to get your own monitor back and many of those that have gotten it back still had the issue and the invoice just said "unit repaired" with no detail of what was done, what the issue was.... It just seems beyond scary and incompetent for a product of this price.

Stuff like this:
" at least the retailer acknowledged the problem - they reproduced and recorded the problem themselves after Asus returned the monitor saying nothing was wrong with it and sent it back to them."
"I just got my RMA back. It's a November manufacture date. Came in new box, everything looked new even the monitor. Only thing they put a different serial number over old one."

Means it could be months before you get anything back that is actually repaired... if ever.

Has anyone tried changing out the original DP for a Monster Cable? Ok, not a Monster, but just something else? I wonder if ASUS's supplied DP cable is just crap and deteriorates over time leading to the issues. Someone on the ASUS forum posted that the issue went away at 60Hz, leading me to believe it was the cable in his case. If not that, maybe we should just start posting our monitor settings to try and get to the bottom of this if ASUS cannot figure it out. Maybe there's a specific setting or use that is causing this.

Date Received : September 3rd, 2014
GPU Manufacturer : Nvidia
G-Sync/ULMB : G-Sync
OD : Off
Desktop : 120Hz
Brightness/Contrast : 33/50
Sleep Mode : Yes

Last edited:
I wonder if ASUS's supplied DP cable is just crap and deteriorates over time leading to the issues
I'm pretty confident it's the logic board dying. Mine failed in several stages. The first stage I had the green shadows and blurry text. Changing refresh rates had no effect. Then one day it wasn't blurry anymore at rates other than 144Hz, but it had the gray line issue a bit. Then quickly thereafter it turned into a complete brick and would only display a screen that had perhaps a hundred or so hot pixels spread over it, and faded from white to splotchy gray to black over time after you turned it on.

Add me to the list of ROG Swift owners who got fucked over.

I turned on the monitor today, and the text was blurry. I see faint horizontal lines too.

This is just a defective/bad design. I fully expect all of them to develop this problem eventually.

Never buying another Asus monitor. It's pretty sad when Acer (seriously, Acer?) has the best gaming monitor on the market right now.

I'm wondering why you expect all of them develop those problems eventually. Your bad experience and even the vocal minority that have problems isn't necessarily an indicator of a widespread problem. Time will tell ultimately of course. If there is something wrong with these I'll find out more quickly than most I suspect due to the amount of use mine get.

I'm wondering why you expect all of them develop those problems eventually. Your bad experience and even the vocal minority that have problems isn't necessarily an indicator of a widespread problem. Time will tell ultimately of course. If there is something wrong with these I'll find out more quickly than most I suspect due to the amount of use mine get.

I'll be keeping a close look out for your feedback. :)

hey guys,

I just snagged one of these from tiger direct last night. They had a square trade warranty for 100 bucks I think... Based on all the problems this monitor is having, is it worth it to buy it?

The actual scary part for me on that thread is the actual RMA.
People have been posting about this issue in the thread for a good month and not a peep from a CS Rep or anything and no acknowledgment of the issue by ASUS. My guess is if they wanted to say something they would have done so already.

They all seem to come back detached from the base and jumbling around in the box.
One guy mentioned the rep basically told him they rotated monitors on a first come first serve basis so you're not guaranteed to get your own monitor back and many of those that have gotten it back still had the issue and the invoice just said "unit repaired" with no detail of what was done, what the issue was.... It just seems beyond scary and incompetent for a product of this price.

Stuff like this:
" at least the retailer acknowledged the problem - they reproduced and recorded the problem themselves after Asus returned the monitor saying nothing was wrong with it and sent it back to them."
"I just got my RMA back. It's a November manufacture date. Came in new box, everything looked new even the monitor. Only thing they put a different serial number over old one."

Means it could be months before you get anything back that is actually repaired... if ever.

Well like I said, considering these have a 3 year warranty it would be stupid of them to not actually fix the issue and just keep rotating monitors every 3 - 6 months for three years potentially RMA'ing monitors 6 to 12 times over the warranty period. Time will tell but I can't imagine that being a viable scenario.

Does anyone have link with compiled information, tweaks, bugs to look out for, settings for this monitor?

@Opie: Thanks for following up.

Don't believe I'm having those issues, but good to know there is a solution available.

I got mine today and love it so far. Two Asus PB278Q and a new Asus PB279Q. I bought 5 PB279Qs in today and threw the rest on Ebay.

tQ1gnu4.jpg

Has anyone tried changing out the original DP for a Monster Cable? Ok, not a Monster, but just something else? I wonder if ASUS's supplied DP cable is just crap and deteriorates over time leading to the issues. Someone on the ASUS forum posted that the issue went away at 60Hz, leading me to believe it was the cable in his case. If not that, maybe we should just start posting our monitor settings to try and get to the bottom of this if ASUS cannot figure it out. Maybe there's a specific setting or use that is causing this.

Date Received : September 3rd, 2014
GPU Manufacturer : Nvidia
G-Sync/ULMB : G-Sync
OD : Off
Desktop : 120Hz
Brightness/Contrast : 33/50
Sleep Mode : Yes

I am using a DP cable I picked up at Wal-Mart for one of my monitors due to the distance it sits from my PC. The supplied cable was just a little too short. The only problem I have is that this cable only allows the monitor to go to 120Hz and not 144Hz. Anyone have cables confirmed to do 144Hz like the supplied cable?

I am using a DP cable I picked up at Wal-Mart for one of my monitors due to the distance it sits from my PC. The supplied cable was just a little too short. The only problem I have is that this cable only allows the monitor to go to 120Hz and not 144Hz. Anyone have cables confirmed to do 144Hz like the supplied cable?

Patch the driver and add a custom 144Hz resolution.

The signal quality deteriorates quickly with length using DisplayPort. Since this monitor is pretty much using all the available bandwidth in the DP 1.2 spec I would stick with a cable that is ≤ 3 metres (10 feet) in length, as recommended.

I'm starting to see some weird artifacts on mine. It's kind of hard to tell when it's happening, but it looks like faint vertical lines in the image. I played a bit of Mirror's Edge last night, and it was more pronounced there than elsewhere. It haven't noticed it in general Windows, just games.

...but it's within the realm of "is it supposed to look like this? Maybe the panel is just kinda crappy"

Should I RMA it now, or wait to see worse issues?

Believe it or not people but besides a slight green trail on some colour transitions my unit passes all the tests including the 2 videos he posted and the pixel inversion things.

Guess I really have a keeper but if it goes bad all of a sudden and they give me a bad unit instead I'll cry...

Manufacturing week : 32.

I'm calibrating it right now since the low gamma is pissing me off though (nvidia gamma slider doesn't do a very good job IMO).

Does anyone know why motions/movements are much smoother when playing with controller versus keyboard/mouse? In Crysis 3, for example, if I use a controller and move around/turn 360 degrees, even as the frame rates fluctuate, the game is buttery smooth (for the most part) in gsync. But when using keyboard/mouse, motions/movements aren't as smooth. Does anyone know why that is the case? And is there a way to fix this, so that keyboard/mouse mimics the controller in smoothness?

Last edited:
I think what you're seeing is a symptom of the game, not G-sync, since you can turn a lot faster with a mouse. All the hiccups I've experienced were due to the game engine struggling to render previously culled scenes during quick turns, which I have experienced before without G-sync. G-sync removes tearing and input lag, not game stutter and/or hitches.

Back