ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

I also have the A750D. I've received and sent back three of these asus monitors. I mostly play world of warcraft or rpg games. In DA3 and WoW, the screen door effect was just constant. For me it was the green colors that it was most evident. I really didn't mind the matte finish or color. It was really pretty good. I had no backlight bleed or dead pixels on all of them either. But the screen door effect, no matter how long I played on it, I was never able to stop seeing it. There was no way I could settle and try to get used to the screen door effect while paying that much for a monitor. It makes me very sad because the desktop/browsing experience was amazing at 1440.

For the record, of course I'd prefer if the swift were glossy but after adjustment period I am happy with that tradeoff.

I'm not sure why ASUS didn't go for a light gloss coating. Hard core gamers (which are the only people buying this product) are not the sort who would have an open daylight window glaring onto the screen.

The A750D was a great monitor, its a shame that Samsung seems to have abandoned the high end gaming monitor segment.

What stand are you using with yours?
I'm actually using 3 monitor arms (3M Easy Adjust Monitor Arm - MA240MB).

I have them clamped to the back of my desk, and it frees up all the space on the surface.

This is my first experience using arms, but I'm pretty happy with the 3M model (even if setup was a tad confusing). They stay sturdy but can be moved if I want. I looked into stands briefly, but they all seemed rigid and limited the angles I could put the monitors at. With the arms I can get it exactly like I want. Though the MA240MB is sort of on the high-end in terms of price, not sure if the lower-end ones are comparable.

Think I'm gonna give this one a go despite the price as it seems to be the only G-Sync monitor that is actually decent (if you don't get a bad unit). It's scary for me to drop this much money on a TN panel though :)

My gtx 670 is going to cry but to be fair I play a lot of older games and never use any form of AA so it shouldn't be THAT bad. Plus I heard that G-Sync with 1:1 pixel mapping is supposed to work so I could probably play in 1080p G-Sync with black borders (although I also heard that recent nvidia drivers broke it...).

edit : I just clicked "buy". This evening or tomorrow... I'll lay my hands on it.

Last edited:
Think I'm gonna give this one a go despite the price as it seems to be the only G-Sync monitor that is actually decent (if you don't get a bad unit). It's scary for me to drop this much money on a TN panel though :)

My gtx 670 is going to cry but to be fair I play a lot of older games and never use any form of AA so it shouldn't be THAT bad. Plus I heard that G-Sync with 1:1 pixel mapping is supposed to work so I could probably play in 1080p G-Sync with black borders (although I also heard that recent nvidia drivers broke it...).

edit : I just clicked "buy". This evening or tomorrow... I'll lay my hands on it.

where'd you find one in stock? they're pretty hard to come by, usually people aren't able to make a single post of "hmmm i wonder if i should buy one? edit: screw it just clicked the buy button."

I'm in France, there seems to be more than enough available units around here (ldlc, materiel.net, amazon...). Price dropped by about 100€ too (from 800 to 700) which also helped me make my decision. In any case, I'll be very careful when unboxing it in case I need to return it. I have 2 weeks to make up my mind, more than enough to do some intensive testing :)

So the shortage in the U.S. is articifical to fuel a holiday buying frenzy. That's good to know.

I'm in France, there seems to be more than enough available units around here (ldlc, materiel.net, amazon...). Price dropped by about 100€ too (from 800 to 700) which also helped me make my decision. In any case, I'll be very careful when unboxing it in case I need to return it. I have 2 weeks to make up my mind, more than enough to do some intensive testing :)

nice congrats on the new toy. i have no regret spending $800 USD on mine, best gaming experience i've ever had.

So the shortage in the U.S. is articifical to fuel a holiday buying frenzy. That's good to know.

How much of a "shopping frenzy" is there/can there be on an $800 and up high end computer monitor? Really?

I don't think there is a shortage. I've found plenty of them in the Dallas area at Fry's and Microcenter.

Or it's typical corporate planning issue where someone underestimated demand in region A while overestimating region B

The stock seems Nvidia Gsync module related to me. Maybe complicates manufacturing a bit.

So here it is... This might very well be a keeper. Only things I had to do : reduce the brightness a lot (I generally use my gaming monitors in a dark room so nothing unusual) and adjust the gamma in nvidia control panel (the gamma on my unit was below 2 out of the box... thank god it looks much better now)

Viewing angles aren't bad at all for a TN panel and compared to my cheap IPS (I'd say they are better actually). Uniformity is just about perfect.

This is only the first day and I'm severely lacking sleep though :) We'll see if my opinion changes in the coming days.

BF4 in ultra seemed playable in 1440p/ultra no AA (with gsync ofc) but maybe I'm too tired to notice the issues, I can't say for sure today :)

g-sync in 1080p with 1:1 pixel mapping definitely doesn't work with 344 drivers :/ hope nvidia fixes that asap.

Last edited:

T'es bien cocu, j'habite Houston et c'est quasi introuvable ici...

Or it's typical corporate planning issue where someone underestimated demand in region A while overestimating region B

That's sounds about right.

This store is listing the ROG Swift as in stock: http://www.seaboom.com/scripts/product.asp?PRDCODE=1016-PG278Q&REFID=FR

Their site looks sketch-balls. I ordered one just for shits though. Will update if any progress is made.

You're brave (foolish?), I could never drop $800 on a sketchy site.

Nice! Congrats.

Yea, glad I didn't buy a used one over retail. Looks like they're out of stock again so probably didn't have many. I thought about getting two and selling one for $900 shipped to help somebody out, but I didn't want the hassle lol

Yea, glad I didn't buy a used one over retail. Looks like they're out of stock again so probably didn't have many. I thought about getting two and selling one for $900 shipped to help somebody out, but I didn't want the hassle lol

And you gave me a TON of shit when I offered to sell you one of mine for $850! LMAO you are a real piece of work dude! If memory serves you were trying to lowball me for $700 wasn't it? How nice that you were thinking of helping out the less fortunate souls for $900 when you wouldn't come a penny higher than $700 yourself.

gif hosting

Last edited:
And you gave me a TON of shit when I offered to sell you one of mine for $850! LMAO you are a real piece of work dude! If memory serves you were trying to lowball me for $700 wasn't it? How nice that you were thinking of helping out the less fortunate for $900

Uhm.... It would have been brand new. Quit crying about people not wanting to pay over retail for your used product. I stopped responding to you for a reason. Pretty sure $700 used is not a low ball when I just bought one for $800 new.

And the only thing I said to you was that id rather wait than pay over retail.

Heres my three in portrait, I run ULMB 120hz so the colors are not as vibrant as they could be with Gsync mode.... M A S S I V E is all I have to say lol

image hosting services

image hosting more than 5mb

image hosting without registration

free photo hosting

adult photo sharing

And a link to my failed debezzel attempt:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1843852

You did exactly what I had originally planned to do. However, everyone warned me that going portrait with TN was a mistake.

Color shift isn't great even when the thing is in landscape - this doesn't bother you when it's vertical? How do you find the experience overall? Is this why you're selling all but one and using it in landscape mode? ;)

You did exactly what I had originally planned to do. However, everyone warned me that going portrait with TN was a mistake.

Color shift isn't great even when the thing is in landscape - this doesn't bother you when it's vertical? How do you find the experience overall? Is this why you're selling all but one and using it in landscape mode? ;)

I have since switched them back to landscape. I am not an overly large fan of landscape mode, but do prefer landscape for racing and flight sims and with GTA V PC on the horizon I have decided to keep all three.

Uhm.... It would have been brand new. Quit crying about people not wanting to pay over retail for your used product. I stopped responding to you for a reason. Pretty sure $700 used is not a low ball when I just bought one for $800 new.

And the only thing I said to you was that id rather wait than pay over retail.

Lmao, whatever helps you sleep at night my disillusion friend. Its good to know that you wont pay over retail, but have no problem charging others over retail....your so helpful!

Helpful is not the word I'd use for someone who buys stuff he doesn't need and sells it to enthusiasts at above MSRP :rolleyes:

Maybe opportunistic would be a better word? It's a free country, free market, capitalism FTW and whatever floats your boat. But don't kid yourself that you're helping anyone but yourself.

BTW finally snagged one on Newegg earlier. At MSRP :D

So... about that color shift in text on Swift problem, anyone seen anything like it?

So I dare say I got a pretty much perfect unit (minus the bad gamma with stock settings). I can't see any of the issues people reported left and right. One of the best purchases I've ever done, despite the price... if issues don't start creeping up after a while. That remains to be seen.

Of course, I still get TN gamma shift and the backlight uniformity isn't perfect when looking at a black screen (but much better than all the LCD panels I've owned since edge-lit LED became the norm).

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, or maybe my eyes are not good enough, I dunno (my eyes are pretty poor and no amount of glasses/lenses/laser surgery can fix that, it's complicated...).

One thing though, I can still see some dithering/banding despite the "true 8bit" but at this point I'm suspecting my sources are to blame - at least in some cases. And yeah, not worse than the 6bit+FRC IPS panel I had until now anyway.

As for G-Sync and ULMB... both are absolutely amazing. I'm totally speechless.

With G-Sync I don't get any flickering at all besides when I launch a game (or video) or when I tab back into a game, even when my FPS drops in the 30s in game I don't see any flickering whatsoever. G-Sync works for everything I've thrown at it so far (including games with a low fps cap like Doom 3, Warcraft 3 etc), even video playback (madVR). I haven't tried Diablo 3 yet because there was a queue when I tried to log in, but I will definitely check it out when possible since people reported issues with the internal 60fps cap.

Only one game refused G-Sync, the new Dreamfall. Not sure why, it's running in some sort of fullscreen exclusive mode so I'm not sure what's going on. I kid you not it was a shock to see tearing again!
Edit : apparently the game only has windowed and windowed fullscreen atm. That explains it.

Last edited:
Only one game refused G-Sync, the new Dreamfall. Not sure why, it's running in some sort of fullscreen exclusive mode so I'm not sure what's going on. I kid you not it was a shock to see tearing again!
Edit : apparently the game only has windowed and windowed fullscreen atm. That explains it.

I'm going to assume GOG here. I had a similar problem trying to capture Wing Commander we even though it's a .exe the capture program doesn't recognize it as a game but more as a fullscreen app and so it kept capturing the dekstop.

No such problems here. My text is very crispy in fact. I keep one left edge-ward hoizontal column line of icons on the swift's left side and all the icon labels are very crisp. I usually clean those up after awhile. Web browser text on maximized or shuffling browser over to left side and overall on the monitor is also crisp text.

Last edited:
Damn..... I was going to buy this as soon as I bought one but this is terrifying. The RMA part doesn't help alleviate concerns.

Someone needs to come up with a competing product stat!

Considering the expense of the monitor, I personally thought it was quite natural that any owners of defective swifts would be a bit more vocal than say if this was a $100 TN panel for example, but I was asking around if there are people who also experienced this, as official forum complaints are often a bit more exaggerated.

Considering the expense of the monitor, I personally thought it was quite natural that any owners of defective swifts would be a bit more vocal than say if this was a $100 TN panel for example, but I was asking around if there are people who also experienced this, as official forum complaints are often a bit more exaggerated.

Granted people always a more vocal about issues especially on official forums but comparatively a lot of people seem to be having the same issue, they all posted screenshots and it looks horrid.
The really scary part is that it happens randomly after a few days/weeks/months of use when returns and exchanges can be more problematic.

anyone noticed their swift having this? Mine is 3 weeks old haven't felt anything similar.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ft-PG278Q-Blurry-text-and-bad-quality-overall
I saw that thread originally when I was looking out for stock and it had me worried. But mine is now 2 months old and I have not had any issues so far. I'll feel a lot better after January, leaping past that 3 month mark, because it seems like the majority have this issue come up after 3 months of use.

Got mine today. Pre-ordered it from Newegg back in November and they got stock this week. Worth every penny if you ask me. Beautiful monitor.

I saw that thread originally when I was looking out for stock and it had me worried. But mine is now 2 months old and I have not had any issues so far. I'll feel a lot better after January, leaping past that 3 month mark, because it seems like the majority have this issue come up after 3 months of use.

The problem is then you're mostly SOL for most warranties.

Back