ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Well, g-sync helps with tearing and judder (resulting from oversupplied fps vs hz, and under supplied fps vs hz) because it dynamically matches the monitor's hz to the framerate on the fly. It also allows you to go over your minimum or average frame rates without capping them like v-sync would. It also avoids input lag that can happen with v-sync.

There are several factors involved beyond that.
This still doesn't fix stuttering of some games (like watchdogs from what I've read), because of poor coding. If you check that 980sli [H] link a few posts back, you will also see that watchdogs only gains 15% in sli too. It's fps graph is a joke.

If you look up microstutter graphs online you will see some that keep the microstutter variance's lowest end above the 50 - 60fps line. That is what I talking about, rather then allowing the microstutter's low end and your overall fps graph's low end hit 30fps or less, and even bottom out repeatedly. You can also imagine if you are starting out at 30 - 40fps average to begin with, you don't have room to "down-stutter" and fps dip without crashing your fps.

By the way g-sync works at 144hz but ulmb doesn't. I believe that's just how it is since strobing was originally designed for 3d 60hz/60hz. In fact they had to overclock the g-sync module and add heatsinks or something in order for it to work at 144hz.
You can auto switch in this manner if you want, between desktop and games:
Yep, set 120hz in the Nvidia control panel - Display > Change Resolution > Refresh setting

Then goto manage 3d settings in Nvidia control panel and set - Prefered Refresh Rate (Ancor Communication) to highest available

Then you can set ULMB on your monitor menu to on if you want to use it in desktop mode

When you start a 3d game the monitor will switch to 144hz automatically and gsync will switch on since ULMB doesn't work at 144hz.

Last edited:
Posting my personal experiences with the Asus RoG Swift:

1. What it is worth, I am VERY happy about the quality of the monitor. Little backlight bleed (I cannot see it unless I switch off all lights in my room, something I never do), and no dead or stuck pixels. The design of the monitor's chasis is also very good, I can see why people have been praising the joystick monitor controls, it is MUCH faster than the old up/down arrows and select/cancel keys of typical monitors. Lastly, I find the fact that it saves your monitor setup for each fresh rate individually to be very useful.

However I did find that Swift was lacking in other options, but I guess it's a trade-off.

2. Straight out of the box, the colors did look quite washed out, in fact I was getting worried for a second that this was no different than a normal TN panel (a brief 'Oh f***' did cross my mind). When I set the colors to User mode however... :eek: Now THAT was what I liked. I could not tell, immediately, the difference between my last IPS monitor to this one (though closer examination through games I did find them), so I was thoroughly shocked.

After testing in a few games (the selection is rather limited, Skyrim, L4D2, D3:RoS and NWO), but here are my takes on those games:

1. I Could not immediately tell the color difference between IPS and Swift in Skyrim, but it probably has something to do with the default Skyrim color filter. I activated ENBoost this time and the colors all look weird, not in a good way. I will have to tweak the colors (both Swift and ENBoost) a bit more I think.

2. L4D2 looks a bit washed out, the blood textures seems to be out of place compared to the normal dark red blood splatter, but this could be due to many factors (such as, not paying attention to the blood on the IPS, I never paid attention to it). The characters skins looks rather odd, it doesn't 'blend' into the game well, and I don't remember having that issue with my last screen.

3. Diablo 3: the action bar looks a bit brighter and paler (I kinda miss the darker colors of the Arcane power orb), but the rest of the screen also looks brighter and more vivid, which I like. I'd rather to be able to SEE things than to have bright to be very bright and dark to be very dark.

4. NWO: No complaints here at all. Smooth as silk (G-sync probably helped too), and the colors look fine.

5. DSR: I was surprised that DSR scaling to 4k on swift didn't need any DSR smoothing even though it wasn't a whole number ratio (unlike going from 1080p to 1440p on DSR), so one less thing to worry about :D.

Whether I am going to be happy with my 2x 970 is a completely different matter, but if I rewinded back in time and still ended up getting an nVidia, I would get Swift again, no questions.

after spending more time gaming i can say that i much prefer g-sync over ULMB. g-sync is a game changer imo.

Doesn't look like there'll be much black friday deals for this so I guess we'll see around christmas.

I'm getting by pretty well with Gsync, 60fps can be nice, previously I did 120hz gaming.

It did take quite a while though to get aquatinted with what a properly enabled Gsync experience should be. And the rare troubleshooting to get it working consistently.

If I can have the assistance of any owners:

If you run Pixperan's chase test, does it have a trail or lead around the blocks?
Especially with a blue block? My XL2411T had a stronger trail than my 27QW does.

The BenQ XL2411T does that, even if I change the persistence time, strobe timing, and overdrive.

And to anyone who owned an XL2411T, or any decent IPS monitor:
How does this compare? The XL2411T is incredibly washed out (everything looks near-white, and text isn't well defined.), even though it measured 804:1 contrast with my profile.

Thanks!

I had to build a custom desk so the secondary row could go below the top row. http://eliteownage.com/desk.html

Looking at that setup hurts my penis. You must have the eyes of a fly lol
Eyes_of_a_Holcocephala_fusca_Robber_Fly.jpg

after spending more time gaming i can say that i much prefer g-sync over ULMB. g-sync is a game changer imo.

Funny, I had the opposite experience, the more time I put in with both settings the more I preferred ULMB. It's all I use for gaming now, wouldn't even consider G-sync anymore.

Funny, I had the opposite experience, the more time I put in with both settings the more I preferred ULMB. It's all I use for gaming now, wouldn't even consider G-sync anymore.

Just goes to show different strokes for different folks. That's one of the things that makes this monitor so great, we get to choose which suits us best.

For most I think it would be more dependent on the average fps. That is, for a lot of us we wouldn't use ulmb unless it was a game we got well over 100fps+ (or over 120 - 144fps+) on, like L4D2 in my case which is really tight with ulmb mode. I turned some stuff down on shadow or mordor to get 70 - 74fps average and am using g-sync on it. I turned dragon age:inquisition down to "high" and it is way more fluid now too. Using g-sync for most modern games until I get a good sli setup.

They are in stock at Amazon they sell out fast there were 3 in stock they sell out then the system adds 3 more selling like crazy =)
ASUS has to catch up with the past 10 years of slow LCD monitors that everyone has which is a impossible task.

For those that have this monitor, what is 1440p resolution on a 27" size like for normal desktop and web viewing?

I really want to get this monitor for the higher resolution for gaming, but I am concerned that the native pixel resolution may result in eye strain reading website text.

A 1080p 27" seems about right for this. Although sometimes a better quality monitor like the ROG series has great clarity for reading text at a high resolution.

For those that have this monitor, what is 1440p resolution on a 27" size like for normal desktop and web viewing?

I really want to get this monitor for the higher resolution for gaming, but I am concerned that the native pixel resolution may result in eye strain reading website text.

A 1080p 27" seems about right for this. Although sometimes a better quality monitor like the ROG series has great clarity for reading text at a high resolution.

1080 23" uses pixels that are too large, this PPI causes less strain for me. sub pixels are less obvious.

You can go look at an imac at bestbuy or the imac and/or 27" cinema display at an apple store if you want to get an idea of the size. Just make sure you set the browser or whatever to the default text size without scaling (it might be that way on display already).

23" 1080p is 95.78ppi. A 17" 1080p laptop is 129.58ppi. 27" 2560x1440 screens are 108.8ppi.

Ppi is also relative to viewing distance. I have no problem with my 17" laptop at 129.58ppi. It looks great.
108.8 ppi is not smaller than a newspaper or a novel. I find it perfect size.

You can also use things like the nosquint addon for firefox to change default text size on a per page basis, or globally if you find it necessary. I mostly only use nosquint to change background colors to dark grey instead of white.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have a problem and I don't know of an obvious fix (not directly related to the Swift itself).

When I start my machine, at the first few seconds of desktop appearing, I have a white-ish screen (not sure how to describe it, but it feels like the whole screen was sprayed with a layer of milk), then the white dissappears for a few seconds after that (which is the setting I want), then it goes back to the white-ish layout again. I have to set the resolution away from 1440p and then back again to get rid of the whiteness, any idea how I can fix that? Thanks

I currently have a problem and I don't know of an obvious fix (not directly related to the Swift itself).

When I start my machine, at the first few seconds of desktop appearing, I have a white-ish screen (not sure how to describe it, but it feels like the whole screen was sprayed with a layer of milk), then the white dissappears for a few seconds after that (which is the setting I want), then it goes back to the white-ish layout again. I have to set the resolution away from 1440p and then back again to get rid of the whiteness, any idea how I can fix that? Thanks

Are you using a custom calibration through dispcal, NVCP, windows, etc?

That desk would be perfect for three rog swifts in portrait mode as 27" is a bit too tall for most desks.

Do not use the ROG Swift in portrait. the TN vertical color shift is horrible if the display is turned in portrait orientation. In landscape it's no big deal but very distracting in portrait. To be honest the only reason I think the display even has orientation is to fit it in the packaging.

Your frame rates would be really bad trying to run three anyway, even in landscape mode (for immersion of the sides).

7680 x 1440 is super demanding. Imo the target should be 100fps+ really, and I'm using high - high+ settings with single 780ti atm just to get 70 - 75fps ave on some games. Of course I should have at least 780ti x2 or 980 sc x2 with 2560x1440p to get 100fps+ on "high+" to ultra.

980 single, 2way, 3way and 4way for comparison at 3840x2160... 7680x1440 / 4320 x 2560 isn't shown but you can imagine.
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6725/4k-showdown-asus-gtx-980-4gb-in-single-sli-3-way-sli-and-4-way-sli/index.html

When you problem happens, see if it goes away by altering the profile instead of changing the resolution.

Thanks, I'll try when I reinstall the system, managed to brick the Win 7 with a chipset driver update last night lol...

Do not use the ROG Swift in portrait. the TN vertical color shift is horrible if the display is turned in portrait orientation. In landscape it's no big deal but very distracting in portrait. To be honest the only reason I think the display even has orientation is to fit it in the packaging.

When you undertake three fast TNs in portrait mode it should be understood that image quality is going to suffer....however, the tradeoff is immense for fast twitch FPS games such as BF4 because you can see the fly on an enemies ass at 1,000 meters without the need for a scope. Triple Swifts in portrait present an extremely responsive huge high resolution wall. Yes the colors, TN crush, etc, etc, yada, yada suck....but you are getting the ultimate fps display that you can sit over 3'+ away from.....and I like to sit far from displays as it gives me lots of keyboard & fap space!

Through a combination of ultra, high & medium settings I am able to maintain close to 120fps most of the time and the inevetible fps dips are no where near as annoying as say playing PS4 GTAV @30fps uggggghhhhh

But I alternate, when I get bored I rotate to landscape and play some racing / flight sims or mess with 3D vision 2.

When you undertake three fast TNs in portrait mode it should be understood that image quality is going to suffer....however, the tradeoff is immense for fast twitch FPS games such as BF4 because you can see the fly on an enemies ass at 1,000 meters without the need for a scope. Triple Swifts in portrait present an extremely responsive huge high resolution wall. Yes the colors, TN crush, etc, etc, yada, yada suck....but you are getting the ultimate fps display that you can sit over 3'+ away from.....and I like to sit far from displays as it gives me lots of keyboard & fap space!

Through a combination of ultra, high & medium settings I am able to maintain close to 120fps most of the time and the inevetible fps dips are no where near as annoying as say playing PS4 GTAV @30fps uggggghhhhh

But I alternate, when I get bored I rotate to landscape and play some racing / flight sims or mess with 3D vision 2.

what bf4 servers do you play on? west coast?

Posting my personal experiences with the Asus RoG Swift:

1. What it is worth, I am VERY happy about the quality of the monitor. Little backlight bleed (I cannot see it unless I switch off all lights in my room, something I never do), and no dead or stuck pixels. The design of the monitor's chasis is also very good, I can see why people have been praising the joystick monitor controls, it is MUCH faster than the old up/down arrows and select/cancel keys of typical monitors. Lastly, I find the fact that it saves your monitor setup for each fresh rate individually to be very useful.

However I did find that Swift was lacking in other options, but I guess it's a trade-off.

2. Straight out of the box, the colors did look quite washed out, in fact I was getting worried for a second that this was no different than a normal TN panel (a brief 'Oh f***' did cross my mind). When I set the colors to User mode however... :eek: Now THAT was what I liked. I could not tell, immediately, the difference between my last IPS monitor to this one (though closer examination through games I did find them), so I was thoroughly shocked.

After testing in a few games (the selection is rather limited, Skyrim, L4D2, D3:RoS and NWO), but here are my takes on those games:

1. I Could not immediately tell the color difference between IPS and Swift in Skyrim, but it probably has something to do with the default Skyrim color filter. I activated ENBoost this time and the colors all look weird, not in a good way. I will have to tweak the colors (both Swift and ENBoost) a bit more I think.

2. L4D2 looks a bit washed out, the blood textures seems to be out of place compared to the normal dark red blood splatter, but this could be due to many factors (such as, not paying attention to the blood on the IPS, I never paid attention to it). The characters skins looks rather odd, it doesn't 'blend' into the game well, and I don't remember having that issue with my last screen.

3. Diablo 3: the action bar looks a bit brighter and paler (I kinda miss the darker colors of the Arcane power orb), but the rest of the screen also looks brighter and more vivid, which I like. I'd rather to be able to SEE things than to have bright to be very bright and dark to be very dark.

4. NWO: No complaints here at all. Smooth as silk (G-sync probably helped too), and the colors look fine.

5. DSR: I was surprised that DSR scaling to 4k on swift didn't need any DSR smoothing even though it wasn't a whole number ratio (unlike going from 1080p to 1440p on DSR), so one less thing to worry about :D.

Whether I am going to be happy with my 2x 970 is a completely different matter, but if I rewinded back in time and still ended up getting an nVidia, I would get Swift again, no questions.

Have you used an Asus VG248 or a BenQ 2411/2420 or something similar? Ive been using IPS panels (well, PLS panel now with a 105hz RR) for a long time and I just cannot get over the picture difference. I play FPS games primarily so a quality low response time LCD is something Id love but I cannot get over the fact of how shitty they look. Ive had both a VG248 and I just purchased a BenQ XL2411Z for my son. Even after calibration, they look like dogshit compared to my QNIX 27" PLS screen and I keep going back to it. I was hoping the BenQ would be better than the VG248 and while it was to an extent, it still looks like ass.

Id gladly pay for the Swift if can even come close to being decent in comparison to IPS/PLS.

Id gladly pay for the Swift if can even come close to being decent in comparison to IPS/PLS.

Did you make sure the gamma was correct?
With a colorimeter and manually setting the gamma, my XL2411Z looks *almost* as good as my 27QW/2333T; the main difference is a bit of black/white crush (not a lot) and vertical shifting.

And I get ~800:1 contrast

Last edited:
Have you used an Asus VG248 or a BenQ 2411/2420 or something similar? Ive been using IPS panels (well, PLS panel now with a 105hz RR) for a long time and I just cannot get over the picture difference. I play FPS games primarily so a quality low response time LCD is something Id love but I cannot get over the fact of how shitty they look. Ive had both a VG248 and I just purchased a BenQ XL2411Z for my son. Even after calibration, they look like dogshit compared to my QNIX 27" PLS screen and I keep going back to it. I was hoping the BenQ would be better than the VG248 and while it was to an extent, it still looks like ass.

I used a combination of windows, nvidia and monitor settings to adjust my colors and the blackness, i'll have a look at my settings when I get home, but I have nVidia CP set (these figures are off the top of my head) brightness to 30, gamma to 0.9, digital vibrance to 55. this largely gets rid of the white wash on the black background.

Earlier I mentioned how I prefer darks being brighter so I can see it? I am eating those words now, and have been trying to get the blackness back. I haven't compared it to an IPS side by side, mostly due to lack of desk space, but personally, I am happy with the setting. My setting is a little dim, but I am fine with it.

I'll keep playing with the settings when my new rig is finished. My next aim is to increase the overall brightness without making the black washed

Make sure when "testing" that you are looking directly at the TN panel and not even slightly off center. Comparing my ips to my swift while looking over at the swift from the ips side of my desk looks different than looking head on. Also make sure you tweak the vibrancy up a few %, that your gamma is good, and adjust the OSD contrast and brightness. All of this to your room lighting conditions of course since the way you perceive the settings will change if your room lighting changes.

I've found the swift to be very lush and colorful for games, and after tweaking the blacks are even on the darker side at least compared to the rather slate grey in dungeon game's dark corridors I'd see before I tweaked the settings more adequately. (Still nothing like the detail in blacks a VA or plasma is capable of at darker black levels, or their increased depth, but "black").

The swift holds up well even running a bunch of 2560x1440 wallpapers (digital art, high rez photos) I've collected when I was repeatedly comparing them on my cinema display and the swift side by side more or less (again, viewing the swift head on though). It looks really good in my opinion, especially for games. I'd have it glossy for a little more "wet" look (and no micro crystal texture on very bright flat planes of color) but it looks very good in my opinion. Of course it has a narrow "gradient of shadow" at the top, mostly dimming the top two corners how I have it set up. It's much like a tiny ledge in each corner shading/dimming (not blackening) the top two corners.. but even so it's not really noticeable unless you are moving your head around looking for it, or of course not looking at the monitor head on.

One of my main worries was that the swift would be pale and not capable of lush/saturated color. It is absolutely not pale at all and is capable of being oversaturated even. The color and brightness really pops after tweaking it for multimedia/gaming use.

My 60hz ips on the other hand looks great for static imagery and desktop apps/text based apps, and is more uniform vs shift/shadow.

The cinema display has 83.2% adobe 1998 color gamut, the swift has 71.37%.

". Adobe RGB 1998 occupies roughly 40% more volume than sRGB, so you are only utilizing 70% of your bit depth if the colors in Adobe RGB 1998 are unnecessary"

"Adobe 1998 was designed to encompass most of the colors achievable on CMYK color printers, but by using RGB primary colors on a device such as a computer display. The Adobe RGB (1998) color space encompasses roughly 50% of the visible colors specified by the Lab color space."
So according to that, my displays are theoretically capable of 41.6% and 35.65% of the visible color spectrum defined by Lab color space - a 5.95% difference in the millions of colors "box of crayons" they have to work with, a difference spread across the already much sliced/defined tones of each color "band". If anything, a very subtle difference and to perfect eyesight and conditions, and only on media that actually fills out those color variances noticeably.

Even with a 100% or 110% adobe 1998 monitor you'd still be at 50% or 55% of the visible spectrum defined by Lab color space, a gain of 14.35% or 19.35% in further dividing already very variegated/abundantly hued color bands.. And that is using adobe 1998 as a reference which has a larger gamut than any sRGB content you might be viewing.

I think the claims of this monitor not having pleasing color saturation are false. I'll say especially for games, but as I said I've also compared a lot of high quality 2560x1440 photos and digital art (a collection I've been adding to since testing out the swift) and am very pleased.

Never-mind "twitch gaming",scoring/ladder stuff - the fact is, in 1st/3rd person gaming an ips is so slow that it is aesthetically a mess. A non-resolution smear during continual FoV~world viewport movement.. and if at 60hz, inferior motion definition and motion articulation.

cinema-display_adobe1998.png

pg278q_color-gamut_toms-hardware.png

Edit: Image tags removed as it was popping up a login screen - odoe

edit: my links are working again. My apologies, my web service was borked for a day.

Last edited:
Earlier I mentioned how I prefer darks being brighter so I can see it? I am eating those words now, and have been trying to get the blackness back.

It depends on the game. For most, I like proper gamma (2.2) :D

(PS. Is TN technology really that bad compared to IPS that some worship it and completely lynch TN panels without even looking at the panel?)
I posted a detailed reply to the ips color comments on this thread just a few posts back if you are interested.
Has anyone noticed if this fail safe is a major problem? I personally haven't been paying very much attention, I had been too busy calibrating and playing games :eek:
Well, in answer to my thoughts I posted previously in this thread quoted here:
I'm not saying that this is the case with your particular issue, but I'd like to point out that your average framerate is just that, an average. Your framerate actually fluctuates up and down which is why g-sync is so good. G-sync doesn't have a framerate cap like v-sync would cut you off on (other than it maxing at 144hz of the panel), and it can dynamically match the monitor's hz to the frame rate avoiding screen abberations for the most part.

However, contrary to what a lot of people on sites claim, g-sync is not a "fix" to make 30 to 40fps average play "just fine". Due to the framerate fluctuation +/- your average, you would likely dip down lower and basically bottom out your fps. This also can come into play if you use dual gpus in regard to microstuttering, which when graphed is similar to fps fluctuating lower (in range, though it is more abrupt back and forth). That is, if your average fps isn't high to start with, microstutter dips will also bottom out your frame rate. You can't be bottoming out your framerate throughout a game and expect it to run smoothly. I can't imagine that what amounts to hitting the breaks over and over in a game would run cleanly (as compared to deceleration to medium speeds that high average fps would allow). If you keep high fps average, scene/action complexity dips in your "fps graph" and the low end of the microstutter graphs won't dip into the sludge range of fps or won't do what is even worse, bottom out completely.

edit: note that some games just run more smoothly than others due to coding and even g-sync at higher fps can't smooth out the rough ones completely. Some have worse microstutter than others too, but it is exacerbated by lower fps bringing the bottom end range of the stutter too low.
edit2: good example of framerate fluctuation graphs at 1440p (doesn't show microstutter framerate variances combined in the graphs though)
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/10/27/nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_sli_4k_video_card_review/9

It seems nvidia fixed this bottom of the barrel fps g-sync stuttering with rescans. I still think bottoming out your fps would result in sludge/molasses motion definition and perhaps even noticeably still frames (I like to call them "freeze frames"). The article the techreport article is actually referencing lays it all out better:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Look-Reported-G-Sync-Display-Flickering
Some of you might be wondering why this same effect is not seen when a game drops to 30 FPS (or even lower) during the course of normal game play. While the original G-Sync upgrade kit implementation simply waited until 33 msec had passed until forcing an additional redraw, this introduced judder from 25-30 FPS. Based on our observations and testing, it appears that NVIDIA has corrected this in the retail G-Sync panels with an algorithm that intelligently re-scans at even multiples of the input frame rate in order to keep the redraw rate relatively high, and therefore keeping flicker imperceptible – even at very low continuous frame rates.

all LCDs have some slight variation in brightness. In this case, lower frequency refreshes will appear slightly brighter than high frequency refreshes by 1 – 2%.

When games are running normally (i.e., not waiting at a load screen, nor a screen capture) - users will never see this slight variation in brightness value. In the rare cases where frame rates can plummet to very low levels, there is a very slight brightness variation (barely perceptible to the human eye), which disappears when normal operation resumes."

Again, keeping a good average fps would be best for many reasons. " In the rare cases where frame rates can plummet to very low levels, there is a very slight brightness variation (barely perceptible to the human eye), which disappears when normal operation resumes." - This might come into play on people with a 30fps+ average bottoming out in their fps graph repeatedly (as well as dual gpu potential micro stutter graph bottom-outs ranging from a low average frame rate) as I was talking about in my other post - and very likely for people using 60hz 4k g-sync panels with low average frame rates due to the extreme resolution.

Last edited:
that's what I am hoping to do with my setup, keeping the average frames high enough after SLI.

I hope I won't have to regret my second 970 >.<

I have a small issue that I am not sure if it is just specific to Swift itself, Display port monitors or I just plain suck at using monitors:

Any time i leave the computer on for any extended period of time, all of my windows gets crunched up into the top left hand corner, something similar what happens when you change resolution to something a lot smaller than your native, then switching back to your native again. Any suggestions?

I contacted my web host about my img links not working so I apologize if anyone is getting an authentication dialogue box for the time being. :mad:

In regard to your windows bunched up issue, are you using more than one monitor? I use multiple monitors with displayfusion pro app which keeps things intelligently organized for the most part.

Nope, just that single monitor, and it only happens if I leave the computer anattended for long periods of time. I think I did install the Asus Multiframe thing, but I didn't think it would affect it as I only have just 1 swift.

It also doesn't intelligently stack the monitor, they are all stacked on top of each other. Like switching your reso to 720p then back to 1440p, your windows would all get crunched to the top left hand corner

Has anyone noticed if this fail safe is a major problem? I personally haven't been paying very much attention, I had been too busy calibrating and playing games :eek:

(PS. Is TN technology really that bad compared to IPS that some worship it and completely lynch TN panels without even looking at the panel?)
I have never experienced this issue. Every game I have played since getting this monitor has played perfectly smooth with G-sync. But then again I don't play shitty games like Unity that have framerate problems.

TN is not as bad as some people paint it as. Unfortunately there are a lot of cheap panels out there because this is typically the type of panel people buy when looking to save money. The real complaint people have when looking at a monitor like this is the viewing angles, which can be quite bad especially when looking from top to bottom. TN is a poor choice for multimonitor for this reason, but if you're doing single monitor there is no reason why you wouldn't be looking at the display straight on, in which case you wouldn't experience the gamma shift. Colors could always be poorer than IPS, but this is just the nature of the pixel matrix used.

You have to make tradeoffs. If you want the fastest response times for high refresh rates, then you have to choose TN. If you want the best color reproduction, then it's IPS. If you want the best contrast, then it's VA. You can't have everything in one type of panel (until we start seeing OLED computer monitors, at least ;)).

Back