ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Yes, set the refresh rate to 120hz in control panel, set "Preferred refresh rate" to Highest available and it will switch to 144hz in game and back to120hz at desktop. You can set ULMB mode for desktop and when a game starts ULMB turns off and gsync turns on with 144hz.

Also allows your graphics card to set at idle clocks on desktop this way.

Thanks. When you say "You can set ULMB mode for desktop" I assume you meant set the Swift to ULMB mode via settings on the Swift?

Is this correct?

1.) Set monitor to 120Hz.

2.) Set monitor to ULMB.

3.) Set Preferred Refresh Rate to highest available.

If I do this, will I have ULMB on desktop and G-Sync in games? Do I have to enable/disable anything else? Also, where do I set the monitor to 120Hz? Is it in the Windows Monitor Control Panel or Nvidia Control Panel?

If I do this, will I have ULMB on desktop and G-Sync in games? Also, where do I set the monitor to 120Hz? Is it in the Windows Monitor Control Panel or Nvidia Control Panel?

Yep, set 120hz in the Nvidia control panel - Display > Change Resolution > Refresh setting

Then goto manage 3d settings in Nvidia control panel and set - Prefered Refresh Rate (Ancor Communication) to highest available

Then you can set ULMB on your monitor menu to on if you want to use it in desktop mode

When you start a 3d game the monitor will switch to 144hz automatically and gsync will switch on since ULMB doesn't work at 144hz.

Yep, set 120hz in the Nvidia control panel - Display > Change Resolution > Refresh setting

Then goto manage 3d settings in Nvidia control panel and set - Prefered Refresh Rate (Ancor Communication) to highest available

Then you can set ULMB on your monitor menu to on if you want to use it in desktop mode

When you start a 3d game the monitor will switch to 144hz automatically and gsync will switch on since ULMB doesn't work at 144hz.

Thanks. G-Sync kicks on automatically once you enter a fullscreen game, right? That's cool. So I get the best of both worlds. ULMB on desktop and G-Sync in games. Fantastic!

Does anyone know if ULMB works well when watching movies? How is it when you are browsing? Would like to know what I'm going to be experiencing.

So how much better is this monitor over my Dell U3011?

I don't think they want to discuss comparisons any more especially IPS monitors.. from what I gather it is an amazing screen however it is a TN panel and provides a different service than IPS.

It wont beat the IPS colors and picture quality, but does pretty damn good while having over twice the possible refresh rate at a high resolution.

Good monitor but if you are using IPS I would think it would be hard to switch to this.

So how much better is this monitor over my Dell U3011?
I'm pretty sure someone posted a comparison earlier in this thread if you do a search.

But bottom line is this:
I don't think they want to discuss comparisons any more especially IPS monitors.. from what I gather it is an amazing screen however it is a TN panel and provides a different service than IPS.

It wont beat the IPS colors and picture quality, but does pretty damn good while having over twice the possible refresh rate at a high resolution.

Good monitor but if you are using IPS I would think it would be hard to switch to this.
If you're more concerned about color accuracy then stick with your IPS. If ghosting and motion blur bother you then pick up a PG278Q. Two different technologies that target different user demands, since nothing is yet available that will satisfy all camps.

Can anyone tell me if this monitor is good for productivity? I'm a code monkey, so I would be reading lots of text. So I would greatly appreciate your opinions. Thank you.

60hz is not a 1st/3rd person gaming monitor -
120hz minimum for 1st/3rd person games in my opinion, which rules that dell out. There are some 120hz-144hz (from factory, not "overclocked") ips panels due out in the next year - not sure if any will be g-sync capable and/or have backlight strobing however. In 1st/3rd person games you are constantly moving the entire game world around in your viewport via movement keying and mouse-look flow pathing. IPS response times are much slower (typically 7ms+) and will blur badly regardless of the refresh rate.

Best bet imo is using one monitor for desktop/apps and a gaming tech monitor alongside it primarily for games. Can't have it all in one monitor. One type is better for still images, another type is better for 1st/3rd person gaming (and yet another type is best for movies for that matter). :rolleyes:

That's a pretty subjective statement. The majority of people gaming are playing at 60hz. 120hz+ is better, that isn't subjective but there are plenty of people who play at 60 and dont know the difference. I've never seen a 120hz monitor and don't really need to, I play games wonderfully on my dell ultrasharp. Never notice any slowness or motion blur.

Well if you can't play on Designated servers Input lag from a monitor has little or no difference.
I don't own anything over 60HZ I played with the best FPS idiots out there.
My next monitor will be 144hz or greater just want something cheap that doesn't suck or burn my eyes.

I've never seen a 120hz monitor and don't really need to, I play games wonderfully on my dell ultrasharp. Never notice any slowness or motion blur.

that's a pretty dumb statement.

120hz minimum for 1st/3rd person games in my opinion, which rules that dell out. There are some 120hz-144hz (from factory, not "overclocked") ips panels due out in the next year - not sure if any will be g-sync capable and/or have backlight strobing however. In 1st/3rd person games you are constantly moving the entire game world around in your viewport via movement keying and mouse-look flow pathing. IPS response times are much slower (typically 7ms+) and will blur badly regardless of the refresh rate.

Best bet imo is using one monitor for desktop/apps and a gaming tech monitor alongside it primarily for games. Can't have it all in one monitor. One type is better for still images, another type is better for 1st/3rd person gaming (and yet another type is best for movies for that matter). :rolleyes:

uh huh, uh huh... "-via movement keying and mouse-look flow pathing" is that... *looks at username* yep, that's elvn.

I can tell you on TF2, on my 24" Vizio TV/Monitor, I'm probably getting 30% less kills and 50% more deaths than on my strobing ASUS VG23QE. Of course I have no data to back that up, and it could be my teammates/server/etc. But that's how it feels like.

Can anyone tell me if this monitor is good for productivity? I'm a code monkey, so I would be reading lots of text. So I would greatly appreciate your opinions. Thank you.

As good as any 2560x1440 res display. I'm a web developer and moved to this from a Dell 3008WFP (30" 2560x1600). Don't miss the extra resolution and size much.

that's a pretty dumb statement.

uh huh, uh huh... "-via movement keying and mouse-look flow pathing" is that... *looks at username* yep, that's elvn.

care to elaborate or just insult me for having a different opinion?

I don't know the difference so why would I care? my ultrasharp is gorgeous.

60hz is molasses freeze-frames (low motion definition, low visible motion/control articulation). Even moreso at sub-60fps. It's also smearing blur, even worse at 7ms+ (ips response time). It is absolutely inferior in motion definition/articulation and inferior in it's resolution during motion (not even definably a resolution). The alternatives are huge, and quantifiable, aesthetic advancements on 120hz-144hz input monitors regardless of any possible personal game performance (or mp scoring) considerations people might seek from them.

A modern 1st/3rd person gaming monitor can now have
120hz-144hz input
.....at high fps - much greater motion definition/articulation of "you" and of the entire game world moving in your viewport, and even animation cycle definition
.....50% and 60% blur reduction respectively, of the entire viewport/game-world (at very low response times and high fps)
1ms response time
dynamic hz ..avoiding judder/tearing w/o suffering a framerate "ceiling" nor any input lag scenarios with v-sync (g-sync, perhaps 'free-sync' someday)
backlight strobing .. for zero blur (nvidia ulmb or eizo's own version).
higher than 1080p resolution while having all of the above advancements... (arugably not critical vs gpu price/performance currently for most but really nice if you can swing it).

I don't consider sub 120hz a modern 1st/3rd person gaming monitor by any means personally. 120hz monitors like mine have been out since mid 2011 I think. ulmb and g-sync sound like great additions as well - I'm looking forward to getting this monitor to try them out, and at 2560x1440 no less.

I did want to tell that previous poster that some 120-144hz "ips" monitors designed to be high hz are on the horizon.
https://pcmonitors.info/others/144hz-ips-ahva-panels-en-route-from-au-optronics/
They will likely still have too slow of a response time vs blur though, given the others of this type shown in this chart:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm

As far as my writing style goes - I try to use descriptive language in describing how you are, relatively speaking, continually moving the game world around your viewport when you are movement-keying and mouse looking around in 1st-3rd person games. The differences in the tech goes way beyond what the simple mouse pointer motion articulation example photos can attempt to show, and way beyond what a simple single cell shaded ufo object in a chase cam photo's blur amounts can attempt to show. It is degrees of motion of the entire game world moving in your viewport relative to you, and the blur (smearing blur at worst) of the entire scene - every object in the game world, every high detail texture, depth via bump mapping,etc.at any moderate or higher speed periods in movement/looking.

Last edited:
120hz minimum for 1st/3rd person games in my opinion

3Rd person gaming like GTAV is more than fine @ 60hz In fact slow paced 3rd person games were where the 34UM95 really shined best.

120hz is a MUST have for 1st person shooters IMHO. Even the slightest bit of input lag drives me nuts when I am trying to blow noobz heads off!

The problem with having two different types of monitors on your desk at the same time is GPU drivers cannot adequately run them properly if they are different brand monitors. Having the 34UM95 hooked up at the same time as the Rog Swift was pure hell unless I ran both displays at 60hz, because one display at 60hz and the other at 144hz causes all kinds of crazy judder and defeats the purpose of having a high Hz display.

God damnit, I'm signed up for text alerts from nowinstock.net but I didn't get anything - bestbuy.com had it up for all of about 8 minutes...

lol.. missed bb in stock, oos in 5 mins while I wrote that last entry here. :rolleyes:

Oh, now I see that you have to click the little circle to enable text alerts for each item/vendor you're watching... doh. Lesson learned.

went oos so quick you still might not have got one.. .. there may have only been one at this rate.

3Rd person gaming like GTAV is more than fine @ 60hz In fact slow paced 3rd person games were where the 34UM95 really shined best.

120hz is a MUST have for 1st person shooters IMHO. Even the slightest bit of input lag drives me nuts when I am trying to blow noobz heads off!

The problem with having two different types of monitors on your desk at the same time is GPU drivers cannot adequately run them properly if they are different brand monitors. Having the 34UM95 hooked up at the same time as the Rog Swift was pure hell unless I ran both displays at 60hz, because one display at 60hz and the other at 144hz causes all kinds of crazy judder and defeats the purpose of having a high Hz display.

Must be caused by refresh rate mismatch as I've been running two displays with diffrent resolutions for years without problems.

Damnit!

I was able to get it in my cart, but when I proceeded to pay my credit card company decided that something was out of the ordinary - me buying in Best Buy, I guess. So they blocked the charge and gave me a call.

Now, I'm trying to get it in my cart again and I get a "Sorry, there was a problem adding the item to your cart" message... <shakes fist furiously .o9

Best Buy lists as in stock but of course when you click add to cart it says that a problem occurred. :rolleyes:

Does anybody know if this is a "special order" item? Because Best Buy charges 25% restocking fee for special orders. I assume it would be marked special order if it was?

I just want to make sure that I get 100% of my money back when I inevitably return this monitor to Best Buy.

Must be caused by refresh rate mismatch as I've been running two displays with diffrent resolutions for years without problems.

it is. it's one of the most annoying things in windows. something to do with aero vsync, because if you use classic or basic theme the problems mostly go away.

So, question about g-sync. How does it work with Windows 7 Aero or 8.1, which is essentially v-sync-enabled desktop (in other words does the red light come on and everything)? If not, what happens when running a game in windowed mode, which forces vsync on with Aero/8.1?

So, question about g-sync. How does it work with Windows 7 Aero or 8.1, which is essentially v-sync-enabled desktop (in other words does the red light come on and everything)? If not, what happens when running a game in windowed mode, which forces vsync on with Aero/8.1?
G-Sync only works in exclusive fullscreen mode, but you can use ULMB on the desktop and windowed applications.

This monitor is so not worth this much money.

Yet macmall has it for 841.
Why the hell would people who typically shop from MacMall buy this monitor? I suppose the can sell whatever they want, but MacMall is obviously not looking at their target customers.

try turning on scaling in the nividia drivers for the 60hz panels. Fixes the judder on movie playback for some reason. I'm running a 120hz gaming monitor, a 60hz ips, and two narrow 60hz 900x1440's and I don't get any judder. I did have to enable scaling on the 60hz ones. I'm also using displayfusion pro which has a lot nice features.

Last edited:
Back