ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Where did you get it for $639? Cause at that price, it'll probably be the best money I shall ever spent on a gaming display too!!!

Might want to re-read his post you quoted again, he said exactly where the display was procured from.

How's this monitor on AMD cards? I'm curious if anyone bought one running it with AMD cards.

I got my open box newegg swift today and its perfect!

This is not my first rodeo with TN panels, but hands down the swift is THE BEST TN I have ever used. This thing is awesome paired with a solo GTX980 and UMLB set to 50, everything mooves like butter!

Best $639 I have ever spent on a gaming display and I have a FW900 in my closet :eek:

WOW you finally got one =)

I'm up in the air about this monitor mainly the price which I can afford but I wish it was cheaper.

How's this monitor on AMD cards? I'm curious if anyone bought one running it with AMD cards.

I was using it with a couple of 290's while waiting for the 900 series. Neither ULMB nor 144 hz was working, and of course G-Sync wasn't either. I'd get a GTX 900 card too if you're going to spend the money on this.

Edit: OK, I looked at your sig, might be a tough sell upgrading from triple CF at this point.

WOW you finally got one =)

I'm up in the air about this monitor mainly the price which I can afford but I wish it was cheaper.

Yea I took a gamble with Neweggs open box and won :cool:
Here is a pic of the Swift in UMLB mode @50%! Colors look great, whites are white, skin tones are natural and motion blur is eleminated. I love this dispaly :)

I searched a bit and didn't find anything about this, so I'll have to ask.

My computer is always on, but I only turn on the swift when it's time to use it.
Seemingly randomly, when I turn on the screen, neither G-Sync or ULMB are working. G-Sync does not appear in the nvidia control panel, and ULMB is grayed out on the OSD.
I can disconnect and connect the Swift power cable to get ULMB working again, also the G-Sync pops up; but to get G-Sync actually working in games again, I need to restart my whole system.

If anyone experienced or read about anything similiar, please share.

swift has better color accuracy and better calibration than a lot of IPS monitors. it looks better than IPS monitors that cost 2x more money. it looks more like an ips panel than an old tn panel. people complaining about tn just need to be smacked in the face to snap them out of their tn psychosis.
It's better than old TN panels, sure, but it's sitting next to a U3014 on my desk and looks blatantly washed out in comparison. I agree it's fantastic for gaming and I love the monitor, but don't try to make it into something it's not; the colors are poor compared to IPS.

The point I keep bringing up is that the aesthetics ("image quality") of a panel with much greater than 1ms response time is going to look horrible during the continual FoV movement of the entire game world in 1st/3rd person games because it will smear. During these repeated/continual movement periods (essentially you are moving the entire world around rather than your character's "head" moving in mouse look, and "body moving" in continual movement keying... relatively), ips and higher response time panel's are displaying what can't even be considered a solid grid resolution - it's a mess - so when I hear people say "if you want image quality - ips" I make sure to fire back with - "as long as you only mean still image quality".

That is in regard to image clarity. Image focus I guess you could say, where every time you move your head it's as if your eyes went watery and blurred everything. A gameplay experience that is smeared/out of focus continually is not of good aesthetic quality imo. Especially modern 1st/3rd person games filled with higher detail geometry, very high detail textures, and depth via bump mapping.

Then there is motion definition and animation definition. More frames of action show per second or per any given period of time.. which means more current and more recent frames of action shown vs anyone with a setup that shows less (especially in single player games, online games have their own tick rates and network normalization code which can complicate how this resolved). The motion definition provides smoother, more articulated movement of onscreen elements and of the entire world itself as you move the viewport around, as well as providing more articulated control paths and potentially more animation frames shown of animation cycles.

A high hz input + g-sync ips would still avoid tearing/judder and though blurred would still "flow" smoother at high fps since there would be more frames of current action delivered to the panel, though blurred unfortunately during any FoV movement of moderate to high speed (which happens all the time in 1st/3rd person games). I would be curious to see how ulmb/backlight strobing would work on a say, 7ms 120hz input ips though, eliminating sample and hold - how much response time blur would remain relative to a 120hz gsync mode , 144hz gsync mode, and a ulmb mode 1ms TN? That is if they ever made one.

A 60hz panel of any type would not only blur badly but would show 1/2 or less the motion definition and articulation. It would also miss out on the benefit of g-sync allowing you to blow the roof off the v-sync frame rate "ceiling" during less demanding parts of your fps "graph" during gameplay so that you could see higher than 60fps. That is, rather than be tied to 60fps max (the maximum the monitor is capable of showing at 60hz), on a 120hz g-sync monitor even if you were 60fps average you could dynamically see higher than 60fps-hz as the graph varied +/-, without tearing/judder.

Last edited:
I searched a bit and didn't find anything about this, so I'll have to ask.

My computer is always on, but I only turn on the swift when it's time to use it.
Seemingly randomly, when I turn on the screen, neither G-Sync or ULMB are working. G-Sync does not appear in the nvidia control panel, and ULMB is grayed out on the OSD.
I can disconnect and connect the Swift power cable to get ULMB working again, also the G-Sync pops up; but to get G-Sync actually working in games again, I need to restart my whole system.

If anyone experienced or read about anything similiar, please share.

This has been mentioned a few times in the thread. Update your drivers to the latest Nvidia driver (use the clean install option). That should fix the issues.

Here is a pic of the Swift in UMLB mode @50%! Colors look great, whites are white, skin tones are natural and motion blur is eleminated. I love this dispaly :)

this is funny, i can have ULMB on desktop and G-SYNC in games lol

Being as critical as you can be. Any downsides?
I plan on upgrading to the swift from my VG248QE so I am used to just average TN everything. Hows the viewing angles? I sit directly in from of my monitor but am thinking of getting a new desk which would allow me to sit back on an armchair every now and then which wouldn't work too well with this Vg248. No other issues with black screens etc? I've seen a lot of complaints and nay-sayers but not any other competitors to it at the moment.

this is funny, i can have ULMB on desktop and G-SYNC in games lol

Really? Is there an option/hack for that on the Swift?

you just turn it on via the monitors menu and it works fine, it will disable itself when you use gsync

Being as critical as you can be. Any downsides?
I plan on upgrading to the swift from my VG248QE so I am used to just average TN everything. Hows the viewing angles? I sit directly in from of my monitor but am thinking of getting a new desk which would allow me to sit back on an armchair every now and then which wouldn't work too well with this Vg248. No other issues with black screens etc? I've seen a lot of complaints and nay-sayers but not any other competitors to it at the moment.

Really? Is there an option/hack for that on the Swift?

The Swift is a bigger, better version of the VG248QE. If you like that then you will love the swift

I thought the VG248QE was pale compared to some TNs (from what I've read, never owned one). In this thread people are saying the pg278Q has better color, yet a few people sale it is also pale due to the matte/ag coating.

I have no interest in a pale TN. My samsung a750D is lush. So it's tough to decide getting conflicting reports. Not that I actually have to decide anything since they are never in stock.

I thought the VG248QE was pale compared to some TNs (from what I've read, never owned one). In this thread people are saying the pg278Q has better color, yet a few people sale it is also pale due to the matte/ag coating.

I have no interest in a pale TN. My samsung a750D is lush. So it's tough to decide getting conflicting reports. Not that I actually have to decide anything since they are never in stock.

I have both. IMO the VG248QE had crap colors. Maybe this is normal for most TNs, but my other ViewSonic TNs had amazing colors in comparison with it. The pg278Q has colors better than my ViewSonic TNs.

This has been mentioned a few times in the thread. Update your drivers to the latest Nvidia driver (use the clean install option). That should fix the issues.

I see, I must have used the wrong terms. I do have the latest driver, but I'll have to try a clean install.

you just turn it on via the monitors menu and it works fine, it will disable itself when you use gsync

exactly. g-sync only works with fullscreen applications, so as long as you have it enabled in NVCP, it will take precedence over ULMB in games. the screen will revert to ULMB automatically when you enter desktop.

tested ULMB in elder scrolls online yesterday and found out that i don't ever want to play without g-sync ever again. in the 40s FPS area, it basically became unplayable without g-sync. all this stutter and tearing, i almost puked.

it's easy to forget about g-sync running, but once you turn it off.....WOW

Really tempted to pull the trigger on this one but damn that price... It's a huge sacrifice and while it looks like a really great monitor -despite the TN panel- I'm really scared that an IPS G-Sync monitor or something might come out soon after I get it. I also don't really "need" more than full HD resolution (after all I'd rather not upscale my blu-rays and not have to upgrade my GPU too soon) but I really like high pixel density (2560x1440 on 27" is really sweet, coming from 1080p on 21.5") and the other G-Sync monitors available right now tend to be 1080p on 24/27" (which doesn't look great IMO) coupled with horrible colours/contrast etc.

But damn I do want G-Sync so badly... but crap colours/contrast/viewing angles are not "okay" with me - I DO care a lot about quality for still images.

Really tempted to pull the trigger on this one but damn that price... It's a huge sacrifice and while it looks like a really great monitor -despite the TN panel- I'm really scared that an IPS G-Sync monitor or something might come out soon after I get it. I also don't really "need" more than full HD resolution (after all I'd rather not upscale my blu-rays and not have to upgrade my GPU too soon) but I really like high pixel density (2560x1440 on 27" is really sweet, coming from 1080p on 21.5") and the other G-Sync monitors available right now tend to be 1080p on 24/27" (which doesn't look great IMO) coupled with horrible colours/contrast etc.

But damn I do want G-Sync so badly... but crap colours/contrast/viewing angles are not "okay" with me - I DO care a lot about quality for still images.

then i suggest you wait.... :)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/31.htm#144hz_ips

Again, this is basically a dedicated gaming monitor - specifically geared for 1st/3rd person gaming where the viewport and entire game world is continually moving. If you are going to watch blurays you would be better off getting a VA monitor/tv for the huge difference in black levels and detail in blacks. IPS won't help there either.

Also, as I said before, even a 120hz-144hz ips with g-sync will have too slow of a response time so will blur closer to the 60hz tn end of the scale.. which is the worst smearing blur - blurring "outside of the lines" of on screen objects/elements, and smearing out all of the pretty high detail textures and depth via bump mapping during continual movement keying and mouse-look flow pathing in 1st/3rd person games.

You can't have it all in one monitor. You might want to look at the eizo fg2421 though if you are trying to use your monitor as a "TV" for blurays. At least it has backlight strobing and is VA (great black levels and detail-in-blacks), but it won't have g-sync and it is "only" 1080p and 24". There also seems to be somewhat of a panel lottery /QC issues with them.
Personally I would just buy a smaller VA tv (or a plasma if you have room) and keep my gaming monitor dedicated to games. There will however be more options in the 1ms TN 120hz-144hz g-sync monitor market the longer you wait though, including several 1080p g-sync monitors a few of which are 27".

I don't think I would have any issue with picture quality on this specific monitor, I'm picky but really not THAT picky (my eyes suck anyway) and all the reviews seem to say this one is really really good for a TN panel.
But yeah, I'm aware of the IPS model coming out, but that might take quite a while and it will probably be even more expensive.

And I'm sure that this new IPS won't be as slow as you're saying ("closer to the 60hz tn end of the scale"? no way)

Loving the ROG Swift so far,especially with Shadow of Mordor, G-sync really is the shit. With a single 970 and everything on Ultra (except textures) I get between 50-65 fps but its all silky smooth with no stuttering or tearing,ever. Before I'd always have Fraps running and constantly going into the options screen to get a steady framerate but with G-sync it turns the PC into more of a locked console experience. Just get your settings between 45-60+ fps and enjoy the butter.

What's weird though is when I play in SLI using the FEAR 3 profile I get alot chop and stutter even though my framerate is higher. My frames average in the high 80's and 90's but when the action gets crazy it drops to the 40's and 50's which causes alot of stuttering and hitching. I'm not sure if this is a G-sync limitation because the frames vary so wildly or just a lack of proper SLI drivers for Mordor. The game plays much more smooth with G-sync on a single 970.

I don't think I would have any issue with picture quality on this specific monitor, I'm picky but really not THAT picky (my eyes suck anyway) and all the reviews seem to say this one is really really good for a TN panel.
But yeah, I'm aware of the IPS model coming out, but that might take quite a while and it will probably be even more expensive.

And I'm sure that this new IPS won't be as slow as you're saying ("closer to the 60hz tn end of the scale"? no way)

From what I've read they are 7ms and higher response time, so yes, that slow in regard to continual blurring/smearing of the entire gameworld/viewport in 1st/3rd person games.

Loving the ROG Swift so far,especially with Shadow of Mordor, G-sync really is the shit. With a single 970 and everything on Ultra (except textures) I get between 50-65 fps but its all silky smooth with no stuttering or tearing,ever. Before I'd always have Fraps running and constantly going into the options screen to get a steady framerate but with G-sync it turns the PC into more of a locked console experience. Just get your settings between 45-60+ fps and enjoy the butter.

What's weird though is when I play in SLI using the FEAR 3 profile I get alot chop and stutter even though my framerate is higher. My frames average in the high 80's and 90's but when the action gets crazy it drops to the 40's and 50's which causes alot of stuttering and hitching. I'm not sure if this is a G-sync limitation because the frames vary so wildly or just a lack of proper SLI drivers for Mordor. The game plays much more smooth with G-sync on a single 970.
Instead of forcing the FEAR 3 profile, try setting it back to default and forcing AFR2 for Shadow of Mordor in the NVIDIA control panel. I don't have Gsync, but I have a smooth experience doing this with framerates consistently in the triple digits on 970 SLI at 1080p. If I use DSR to get 1440p the framerates are around 80. This is with High textures, Ultra everything else.

Instead of forcing the FEAR 3 profile, try setting it back to default and forcing AFR2 for Shadow of Mordor in the NVIDIA control panel. I don't have Gsync, but I have a smooth experience doing this with framerates consistently in the triple digits on 970 SLI at 1080p. If I use DSR to get 1440p the framerates are around 80. This is with High textures, Ultra everything else.

I'll give it a shot tonight.

I agree that gsync is outstanding with Shadow of Mordor, I average appx 50fps with dips down to 36 during big stronghold battles and its all smooth with gsync.

How bad is the matte coating on the monitor? I hate matte coatings.

Also, where do people actually buy these? Seems like everywhere is backordered/out of stock for weeks. I guess its pretty much impossible to find a deal on this monitor.

Just snagged one from Best Buy for $389.69 shipped thanks to gift cards - bonus benefit for upgrading all of the kitchen appliances for the wife. Go www.nowinstock.net! Hopefully they don't cancel my order like MicroCenter did.

Best buy has it in stock.

Used a 10% of coupon that they mailed me some months back. Negated the taxes and brought the total down to ~760 . This will have to do. Order placed.

I stand by my stance that this monitor was never released and is just a figment of everyone's imagination/evil plot from Asus. Though this might change on... Monday? Why is Amazon out of stock?!

Last edited:

Also, where do people actually buy these? Seems like everywhere is backordered/out of stock for weeks. I guess its pretty much impossible to find a deal on this monitor.

Its not bad at all,though I don't have a bunch of monitors to compare it to. I got really lucky and picked one up online right when they became available on Microcenter. You just have to keep checking all over,again I got insanely lucky because I just happen to check the forums early Saturday morning and someone posted that they just went available. They were sold out in minutes.

I wrote a review about the matte coating on PCDIY.Asus.com:

I FINALLY was able to get a second hand open Box Swift. Apparently, the original owner did not have balls big enough to own this display, because this thing is friggin perfect!

I tried I-nsync for five minutes but was not impressed. I am more into blur free UMLB mode @50% then whiney kiddy boy pop music!

My only complaint is the matte covering. It sucks. It doesn’t suck hard, but it still sucks. This should have been glossy. Matte is for sissys, unless your name is Matt then I am sorry, but your name sucks.

All in all I am very happy and want two more for my zero gravity Japenese inverted 3D surround Pron viewing.

This did indeed work better than using the FEAR profile,thanks. I still had the occasional drop from 100 to 60 but they happened much less and my overall fps stayed more consistent.

Guys quick question. I ordered the rog swift yesterday and I just noticed that my 690 has a mini dp... My damn luck. I don't want to bump into any kind of resolution or refresh rate problems so is there a tested cable or adaptor to use? I assume it has to be v1.2 right?

Back