ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Speaking of ASUS RMA, I could try it before just rage returning it to Amazon. Supposedly their monitor policy isn't as bad as... everything else. The people in Europe (or at least one person in Europe that's tried thus far) have had good luck with it... but I don't know how it is in the US, though. Has anyone tried it?

My issue is that if I go that route, I can't return it to Amazon anymore. So I'm stuck with the monitor and whatever ASUS thinks is acceptable.
Another reason why I went with Amazon is that they'll get it to me in 2 days, where as who knows how long it'll take ASUS.

The issue is Amazon has none in stock. I'm nearly 100% sure ASUS created an artificial shortage of these for... a lot of reasons I don't care to go into detail at the moment. It'll have to come later.

The issue is Amazon has none in stock. I'm nearly 100% sure ASUS created an artificial shortage of these for... a lot of reasons I don't care to go into detail at the moment. It'll have to come later.
Does the return period reset upon your receipt of the product on Amazon? Sure, it may take even Amazon a couple of months to have it available, but it may be a month for ASUS to send you another one too. My guess is that it'll likely take ASUS longer.

Well they didn't really offer me an exchange. Which is fine, I'm not sure if I want to try again..... Well no that's a lie, I kind of do but... maybe it's best to just give up sometimes. Packed it up and ready to drop off.

Well, I'm done with this friggin hunk of crap. My third (THIRD) dice roll came in... this time from Amazon and the thing has like 6-7 bad pixels. They were some kind of weird white-ish green or some crap. I also don't know what the hell is up with this panel because the bad pixels on these are most easily visible on black backgrounds. I had nothing show up on any of the other backgrounds, white red blue or green. I can only see them on black. I've read on Wikipedia that TN's are supposed to show their dead pixels as stuck white but I don't see them stuck white on any other color, just black. Technically I probably wouldn't notice these during normal use but the sheer number of them has me just disgusted.

Anyway, I'm really pissed now. I think I'm totally done with this monitor. If "most" of these are supposed to be just fine according to some unfounded belief that only people with problems are vocal (as opposed to the people repeatedly posting that their panels are perfect), then I guess I won the friggin lottery by rolling three terrible panels in a row. I'm probably just gonna go throw a 1-2 star review on Amazon. 1-2 for features, -3 for NOT BEING ABLE TO GIVE ME A SINGLE ACCEPTABLE MONITOR OUT OF THREE FLIPPING TRIES. What a great birthday present. Screw ASUS, for lack of a stronger derogatory word that I should be putting here.

How in the hell did you manage to order 3 off of amazon? It has NEVER been in stock sold from amazon whenever I check. It supposedly only lasts for 10 minutes before they run out when they do have them. The only times I've even seen them available are from third parties that are allowing pre-ordering through Amazon.

How in the hell did you manage to order 3 off of amazon? It has NEVER been in stock sold from amazon whenever I check. It supposedly only lasts for 10 minutes before they run out when they do have them. The only times I've even seen them available are from third parties that are allowing pre-ordering through Amazon.

He's ordered from different places. As for Amazon they come in stock occasionally. You have to get lucky, or be on it. Last time it was in stock, I was on Amazon looking around and it popped up. Was thinking about getting two more, but didn't. They were up for about 15 minutes, all five of them.

Yep, I used this on my Surface Pro and just put it down beside me:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/check4change/

I have it play a sound if something changes. Pretty nice because I can just take that thing and set it down wherever.

Just know that Amazon will likely cut you off from exchange after the second return.

Yeah, I noted that earlier in the thread. Not that it matters because there aren't ever going to be any to exchange for thanks to ASUS' artificial shortage plan...

Anyway this thing's already on its way back to Amazon.

Got my shipping confirmation and tracking from my Microcenter order on Saturday.

Daniel-Bryan-Yes-Cheer.gif

I don't have one of these yet but I can tell you that on a 25' + 1' end extension run of thick (24awg) minidp extension cable my 780ti 's signal would blink and go out of range/drop, and I couldn't even run both my 2560x 60hz minidp monitor + my 1080p 120hz dp monitor at the same time for some reason. (There was no problem doing so off my amd 6990 for years on the 25'+ run).

I've since moved my pc (case) to the room just above my desk and have 15' displayport and mini displayport cables from the 780ti, single 15' run to each monitor with no breaks and it works great. Hopefully this weak displayport signal issue won't be in issue with the PG278Q on this setup. If it is, I'd consider returning it.

I'm using these cables in particular by the way. Again, that's on my samsung 1080p 120hz A750D and not the PG278Q.

I picked up that brand of cables (10'), yet the problem still occurs. It looks like I'll be sticking with 6' cables and forego neater cable organization. :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I always just miss this fucking thing when its in stock. Never had a problem buying a piece of shi....er tech before....seriously WTF....Asus your supply chain sucks ass!

I can see that you're a person who likes attention. but maybe you could limit your blogging to just ONE of the display forums on the internet

I come in here like every time I try one out to recount my experiences and then leave, and I don't think I've "blogged" anywhere else besides my Amazon review. If you're seeing someone on OCN, that's not me as I haven't even posted there in a while. That's also the only other place I use this nick. I made a side mention of it on some other forums, if you actually care (are an obsessive enough individual) to dig up the solitary posts that have it. It would be very 4chan like behavior.

And yeah I totally love attention. Note the blog that I have... oh wait I don't. I do feel it's my duty to call attention to the poor QC on these as a consumer, though. Now, the minute people stop making absurd responses such as "I'm looking/wanting for something to be wrong with it"... then yeah. I can stop "blogging". Because I have tons of fun being pissed off about something that I wish didn't arrive messed up every time. Frankly most of my blogging in this thread is responding to people who are trying to make some excuse up for the monitor QC.

I can see that you're a person who likes attention. but maybe you could limit your blogging to just ONE of the display forums on the internet

Your giving him snarky remarks about something he is giving his feedback on. He is well within his rights to preach his experiences after the third monitor he has received being an absolute crock of shit. I am sure he wants to waste his time sending monitors back, you can tell he wants to enjoy this monitor and its just not happening. ASUS need to get this shit sorted out, QC on this thing for the price should be backed up by the standards ASUS has built its reputation on.

My monitor like others is fine, but there is an undeniably alarming amount of experiences of people getting some shitty panels. ASUS need to address this, they are putting honest people out of pocket. We in the UK have two of our major retailers with plenty of stock. One of them has a take-no-shit policy with regards to QA. So we are better off. But want to deal with ASUS RMA? Wait a month while they get stock. Appalling.

I picked up that brand of cables (10'), yet the problem still occurs. It looks like I'll be sticking with 6' cables and forego neater cable organization. :(

That is disheartening. I'll still try my 15' ones and cross fingers that it works. I do have some 10' ones of the same kind but that might be tricky considering my setup. Displayport signals suck.

Okay, now this is really crazy. What do you mean by "looking for something to be wrong"? I mean yes, we thoroughly check it for defects, but you're acting like we WANT something to be wrong with it. Do you know how absurd that sounds?
I'm not talking about a total dud with a dozen stuck pixels, that's a serious issue and I can't believe it made it out of the factory. What I'm talking about is people cranking the backlight to maximum in a completely dark room then taking a photo at a long exposure and moaning about an uneven backlight. (Despite it looking fine at normal brightness settings.) Or people who use a cheapo DisplayPort cable that's 30 feet long and complain that the monitor isn't able to get a signal. (Despite it working perfectly with the included cable.) Those people are actively doing things that would create a problem. I wasn't referring to your situation, no need to be so negative.

I saw this monitor at my local MC. I didn't even see it listed on the website. Might be too new or just out of stock and the floor model was the only one left. I'm deciding between a free sync monitor in the future or buy the 34UM95. I only play the occasional game and use my computer for productivity more.

I would have decided to get this monitor but it would entail me getting rid of all my 290x cards and switching to 780ti's.

I was actually able to place an order for one last night on the Micro Center website. We'll see if it ships.

Micro Center calls me 14 hours after I order it to confirm my address - evidently this is something that they regularly do. I'm sure that they justify this practice as a means of protecting the consumer but what they're really doing is protecting themselves. They also won't send your order to the warehouse until the address is verified. The result of all of this is that my order was cancelled because they took their sweet time to contact me and by the time they did the stock was depleted. Ridiculous.

I'm not talking about a total dud with a dozen stuck pixels, that's a serious issue and I can't believe it made it out of the factory. What I'm talking about is people cranking the backlight to maximum in a completely dark room then taking a photo at a long exposure and moaning about an uneven backlight. (Despite it looking fine at normal brightness settings.) Or people who use a cheapo DisplayPort cable that's 30 feet long and complain that the monitor isn't able to get a signal. (Despite it working perfectly with the included cable.) Those people are actively doing things that would create a problem. I wasn't referring to your situation, no need to be so negative.

Apologies, this whole situation is very negative for me. Hard not to be like this...

I have to say, anything above 30 brightness was like looking directly at the sun to me. I had to lower it to 25 before I wasn't blinded by it.

Also, why the hell is overdrive even there? I turned it on for shits and giggles and it gave me all sorts of ghosting.

Or people who use a cheapo DisplayPort cable that's 30 feet long and complain that the monitor isn't able to get a signal. (Despite it working perfectly with the included cable.) Those people are actively doing things that would create a problem. I wasn't referring to your situation, no need to be so negative.

First of all, my 25 foot, 24awg (THICK) displayport extension cables were not cheap by any means. My replies were in regard to displayport technology and signal strengths being weak in general, and in my experience being considerably weaker on my 780ti than from my amd 6990 before.

I begrudgingly moved my pc so that a single 15' displayport cable would reach. I have not been able to find this monitor in stock so I won't know for awhile yet if it will work with it.

However, this user can't even use 10' dp cables apparently, which is very disheartening. We have been able to use long vga, dvi, and hdmi runs for years.. also audio cables of various types. The only weak signals have been USB (and even those typically reach 16' without being 'active'/repeater types). Displayport tech as an advancement is very disappointing in this regard... ridiculously so if it requires 6' max. Note that there will likely be 120hz input 4k tv's as well, so this also affects home theater usage/setup scenarios.

It is exactly 5' from the end edge of either end of my corner desk to the displayport input on my 27" 120hz monitor. It is another 2' 8" from that height to the ground. So not only would my pc case have to be at my desk, it would have to be under it in the leg area beneath usable desktop surfaces, or on top of the desk if constrained by a 6' displayport cable limitation. Behind the desk is not an option, and the ends aren't optimal either (one end is against a wall, the other is a walk-through) and would still be 5' across plus up to 2' 8" down. Pretty shitty for a modern display signal tech imo. I wonder if dp 1.3 will be any different in strength for a 2015 display cable/signal technology.

I'd also be curious if amd card's displayport signal goes further reliably at 144hz on this monitor for people, assuming someone got 144hz to work on this monitor with amd properly to start with. I sold my 6990 but it definitely had no problem on the long ext cabling while the nvidia 780ti failed and glitched on it.

Last edited:
I wonder if dp 1.3 will be any different in strength for a 2015 display cable/signal technology.

I highly doubt it. As a matter of fact, I think it may get worse the faster the display connection speeds go.

This is the reason I modified my PC build from having the entire computer 30 feet away from my desk/display, to having the computer 5 feet away from my display. But keeping the cooling radiator and noise 30 feet away. It's much easier to pump coolant that distance versus trying to get super fast display connections that far.

Since I will be running 5K displays, maybe even a 120 Hz 4K in a few years it only made sense to make that change. I highly doubt you will be able to run over 10 foot cables over maxed out in bandwidth HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.3 reliably.

This method allows me to keep the radiator fan/pump noise in the other room, as well as the expelled heat as virtually everything in my builds are liquid cooled. The PC itself by the display should be pretty darn quiet now as long as you select a proper PSU and don't run into any coil whine issues on GPU's etc.

these cable lengths you guys think are short are actually "normal" for the displayport spec.

running anything at the maximum bandwidth spec of the standard and expect it to go beyond the length spec too? no sir. but lucky for you adventurous types, dp 1.3 supports more bandwidth and therefore presumably more bandwidth per unit length

I don't feel that 15' - 16', (let alone 10') should be considered adventurous for a display cable (or a usb cable).

If they make a 4k 100hz+ input oculus rift, you'd practically have to stand on top of your pc to reach 6' if you kept a tower pc on the floor. :rolleyes: If you wanted to use a treadmill/vr walking rig type thing someday it could add distance too, or if you want multiple headsets on separate outputs for virtual theater viewing scenarios (can't daisy chain that kind of rez+hz). These limitations (6', especially when factoring in vertical distances too) are pretty sad.

Last edited:
Well, I'm done with this friggin hunk of crap. My third (THIRD) dice roll came in... this time from Amazon and the thing has like 6-7 bad pixels. They were some kind of weird white-ish green or some crap. I also don't know what the hell is up with this panel because the bad pixels on these are most easily visible on black backgrounds. I had nothing show up on any of the other backgrounds, white red blue or green. I can only see them on black. I've read on Wikipedia that TN's are supposed to show their dead pixels as stuck white but I don't see them stuck white on any other color, just black. Technically I probably wouldn't notice these during normal use but the sheer number of them has me just disgusted.

Anyway, I'm really pissed now. I think I'm totally done with this monitor. If "most" of these are supposed to be just fine according to some unfounded belief that only people with problems are vocal (as opposed to the people repeatedly posting that their panels are perfect), then I guess I won the friggin lottery by rolling three terrible panels in a row. I'm probably just gonna go throw a 1-2 star review on Amazon. 1-2 for features, -3 for NOT BEING ABLE TO GIVE ME A SINGLE ACCEPTABLE MONITOR OUT OF THREE FLIPPING TRIES. What a great birthday present. Screw ASUS, for lack of a stronger derogatory word that I should be putting here.

Damn you have some serious bad luck with this monitor. I'm still on my 1st early unit from fry's thats working flawlessly. Hope you have better luck in the future.

If anyone can report back with 6 - 10 - 15' displayport cable length experience on this monitor I'd appreciate it. If/when I manage to get one of these I will try 15' and 10' on those cables I linked off amazon and report back too. I'm also curious if anyone runs amd gpu(s) on 15' cables (or even 10' ones) as compared to nvidia's displayport out strength.

If anyone can report back with 6 - 10 - 15' displayport cable length experience on this monitor I'd appreciate it. If/when I manage to get one of these I will try 15' and 10' on those cables I linked off amazon and report back too. I'm also curious if anyone runs amd gpu(s) on 15' cables (or even 10' ones) as compared to nvidia's displayport out strength.

I need longer than 6ft length so I am now using the "8ft Monster Cable Digital Life High Performance DisplayPort Cable" I bought here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/594031-REG/Monster_Cable_122088_8_DisplayPort_Male_to.html This cable works great with no "out-of-range" errors though I would prefer 10ft, it just barely fits but its error free.

My first 10ft DP cable caused "out-of-range" errors:
Belkin F2CD000b10-E from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017U61M8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I don't recommend that cable anymore because I was getting sporadic "out of range" monitor errors when running 144Hz.

I have two of these monitors. My son uses the other with the supplied 6' DP cable with no issues.

Ordered from DEC Trader on Amazon on Sept 1st. Got shipping confirmation today from Amazon. DEC sent a seperate email saying it wont ship until the 15th of Oct.

So basically two more weeks ;)

I should have just gotten a FW900 but I dont wanna fool around with calibrating it plus they are very difficult to find on the east coast.

these cable lengths you guys think are short are actually "normal" for the displayport spec.

Ya I'm well aware that the DP 1.2 spec only has 3 meters, but doesn't stop me from trying! I even tried fiber optic DP cables, but turned out the electronics at either end were slow garbage ($800 cable) and didn't run full DP1.2 speeds.

As far as I know, there is no publicly available product that can reliably push a 4K@60Hz signal greater than 10 feet. Or the swifts 1440@144 Hz which is even greater bandwidth..

Last edited:
I'm not about to read 154 pages. Is this monitor a TN panel or not?

Back