ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

depends what you select for the reason you returning the product, If you choose to return it because you don't like it for whatever reason then you pay for the return.

but if you select that the item is defective or doesn't work properly then Amazon pays for the return label, all you have to do is print the label and wait for UPS to come and pick it up two days later.

Another thing to add onto that: Amazon has a little "loophole" in their policy to screw you out of replacements on monitors, if the reason you select for defects are "close enough". For instance, they were going to deny me the third one down for that very reason, because both of the VP2770's I got before that one had pixel issues. I had to literally go down and explain to them that the reasons were not the same. They don't discriminate between position of pixel problems or anything, they just go "well, since your reason for replacing this one is close enough to the last one, you should just return this product because it's not right for you."

So no, the Amazon return policy is not as friendly as everyone would like for you to think it is. It is in general good, but for things like these 1440p monitors where you can get several bad rolls in a row, the best option is Microcenter. I don't think I've ever had an issue with them taking a return back from me. On the other hand, you have to go drive there, and their stock of anything high end can be... bad.

Another thing to add onto that: Amazon has a little "loophole" in their policy to screw you out of replacements on monitors, if the reason you select for defects are "close enough". For instance, they were going to deny me the third one down for that very reason, because both of the VP2770's I got before that one had pixel issues. I had to literally go down and explain to them that the reasons were not the same. They don't discriminate between position of pixel problems or anything, they just go "well, since your reason for replacing this one is close enough to the last one, you should just return this product because it's not right for you."

So no, the Amazon return policy is not as friendly as everyone would like for you to think it is. It is in general good, but for things like these 1440p monitors where you can get several bad rolls in a row, the best option is Microcenter. I don't think I've ever had an issue with them taking a return back from me. On the other hand, you have to go drive there, and their stock of anything high end can be... bad.

You are saying that Amazon should foot a bill for you in terms of shipping and yet you are unhappy about having to drive to Microcenter to return a product. If you are having "pixel issues" you should have requested an RMA from Viewsonic.

You are saying that Amazon should foot a bill for you in terms of shipping and yet you are unhappy about having to drive to Microcenter to return a product.
Yes, I just friggin love wasting 40-50+ minutes of my time driving to Microcenter and back to do exchanges as opposed to just leaving them for the UPS man to take away, which takes all of 2 minutes including packing. One of the options is clearly not superior to the other in terms of time efficiency.

How the hell is me wasting my time driving in any way related to Amazon returns? What the hell is your point here? What exactly are you trying to say?

If you are having "pixel issues" you should have requested an RMA from Viewsonic.

Right, because instead of just exchanging monitors with one of the supposed best retailers due to pixel defects, I should go open up RMA's with manufacturers and then possibly either get something that is worse back. Supposing their stuck/dead pixel policy is even good enough to care about one or two! I could get the same!

I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the sillier posts I've seen on here.

When you RMA a monitor to the manufacturer, don't they usually replace it with a refurbished monitor? Anyone know how that works? Are you getting a potentially used monitor back?

When you RMA a monitor to the manufacturer, don't they usually replace it with a refurbished monitor? Anyone know how that works? Are you getting a potentially used monitor back?

I know a lot of them can. RMA in general is kind of a randomized dice roll. I'm kind of questioning the sanity of the guy I quoted in my last post when he suggested I go RMA instead of using the retailer as the superior option.

Hey guys... I managed to pick up the monitor today and I don't know if this is a defect or some sort of option but, the monitor seems to dim itself at certain times or it might be a slight color shift when I'm playing games. Is this some sort of option or part of g sync that I'm missing here?

Is it just a flicker you notice for a split second?

It depends. If they don't have any refurbished ones in stock you might get a new one. Can manufacturers actually do anything about existing dead pixels or do they just bin the panel?

Just another quick update guys ! I did the RMA with Asus themselves, i have just got the monitor this morning, it seems they gave me a brand new one and the screen is absolute perfection ! Hats off to them, they even picked mine up for me on the day and arrived with the brand new one on the same day ! :D Thanks for all your help on here guys!

Is it just a flicker you notice for a split second?

I played around with the monitor and I only notice it when the g sync is on and only in loading screens and menus of certain games so its probably nothing or something wrong with the gpu since I've been having some problems with it.

Good day everyone,
This is my first post in this forum and I made an account to clarify a couple of questions.
I am a gamer and all I want from my pc is to play games. Its all I do all day in the basement where I live. Till date, I was unable to afford anything decent but thanks to my new job of trading certain things that certain people enjoy from time to time, I can afford any kind of hardware. So now I'm looking at this monitor closely. I play mostly RPGs, RTS, strategy games and the occasional fps. I don't play competitively because I dont have any friends and dislike playing with people I dont know. Hence 144 htz doesn't grab my interest, However, the smoothness due to gsync does. That's my background; here are my questions.
1. How effective is gsync for rts/homm kind of games?
2. TN doesn't bother me because I've seen a tn glossy panel and the colors on that one popped despite being tn. So this being matte does bother me. While I know its matte, If you can give me an indication of how matte it is, I'll be very grateful. do the colors pop? are they vibrant enough? is it as matte as the aweful matte dell around 2012 display?
3. I've heard of some people complaining of halos appearing in the monitor? does anyone have that issue here?

I'm the prospective customer of three of these. however, since its a decent sum of money, I'm just trying to be well informed. I apologize if I wasted your time, any help is highly appreciated.

Good day everyone,
This is my first post in this forum and I made an account to clarify a couple of questions.
I am a gamer and all I want from my pc is to play games. Its all I do all day in the basement where I live. Till date, I was unable to afford anything decent but thanks to my new job of trading certain things that certain people enjoy from time to time, I can afford any kind of hardware. So now I'm looking at this monitor closely. I play mostly RPGs, RTS, strategy games and the occasional fps. I don't play competitively because I dont have any friends and dislike playing with people I dont know. Hence 144 htz doesn't grab my interest, However, the smoothness due to gsync does. That's my background; here are my questions.
2. TN doesn't bother me because I've seen a tn glossy panel and the colors on that one popped despite being tn. So this being matte does bother me. While I know its matte, If you can give me an indication of how matte it is, I'll be very grateful. do the colors pop? are they vibrant enough? is it as matte as the aweful matte dell around 2012 display?
3. I've heard of some people complaining of halos appearing in the monitor? does anyone have that issue here?

I'm the prospective customer of three of these. however, since its a decent sum of money, I'm just trying to be well informed. I apologize if I wasted your time, any help is highly appreciated.

Hahaha, LMAO, I love it. Nice intro, man. G-Sync works great for panning around, it's seriously as good as having a solid 60 fps that never drops but now you can go as low as 30 or so without the jerky feeling. It's not very matte, doesn't bother me. The colors are great as well out of the box. No problems with mine, but look in this thread, obviously there are issues, but ASUS is doing well with CS on this one, it seems.

Amazon has these in stock today. Just ordered one. Only one remains! GO GO GO!

edit - And gone. I hope one of you guys snagged it.

This thing will be sold out for months as I predicted cause everyone wants one and the price isn't bad. I want one =) But it's a want and not a need.

Colors "popping" is the oversaturated bullshit that you expect to see on a TV at factory settings in a store. This is not the setting you should have on any display.

The PG278Q does not have wide gamut, it does have fairly accurate sRGB calibration right out of the box. Its colors look good and not oversaturated. IMO the only part where you notice the TN is the viewing angles and color shifts associated with it. As long as you are sitting directly in front of it and not using the portrait mode you should enjoy the image quality just fine.

As for antiglare coating, I come from the "notorious" Dell displays and the AG didn't bother me much there. The AG on the ASUS is far less "grainy" and is not offensive at all. This forum, due to a vocal minority, is probably the only one where I've seen AG coating actually mentioned so much.

Do not buy several of the ASUS displays if you plan to use them in portrait mode. The top/bottom color shift becomes a much bigger issue when the display is turned sideways (making the top and bottom to left and right side). Regular landscape mode is fine though personally I don't know what I would do with so much desktop space - I sold my 30" Dell because it was hard to fit on the table at the same time and I had no use for it outside of work.

Yes, I just friggin love wasting 40-50+ minutes of my time driving to Microcenter and back to do exchanges as opposed to just leaving them for the UPS man to take away, which takes all of 2 minutes including packing. One of the options is clearly not superior to the other in terms of time efficiency.

How the hell is me wasting my time driving in any way related to Amazon returns? What the hell is your point here? What exactly are you trying to say?
Because time = money.

I have no idea how much (or if) you pay for returning an item to Amazon but even if it is $15 it's still cheaper than money for gas and your hourly wage. Because you have to take that into account.

It just takes slightly longer to get a return. Whether or not that difference in time is worth the extra savings or expenses is personal preference.

Good day everyone,

for the types of games that you play, I would suggest the ultra wide 34" 1440p LG screen. You'll see more of the map, and that's very valuable.

I finally got this monitor shipped to me from TigerDirect last Friday. It was a very special Friday!

Anyways, I love this monitor!!! I can definitely tell a difference while running G-Sync. However, for me, this wasn't as big a jump compared to when I went from a 60Hz display to my very first 120Hz display. Prior to this monitor, I had very satisfactorily been using the wonderful Samsung S27A950D. Been using that wonderful display for 3 years now.

Anyways, I have a picture perfect display in my new Asus PG278Q. Uniform backlighting along with no dead or stuck pixels. That makes me happy.

I have 2 complaints... the color shift is much more noticeable on this PG278Q as compared to my old S27A950D. When I am sitting directly in front of the monitor and look right in the middle of the screen, I can tell that the left most portion and right most portion of the screen are slightly off in color as compared to the middle of the screen. Yet, if I move my head so that I am directly in front of the left of the screen or right of the screen... those areas are then fine. Kind of odd... maybe I am just overly scrutinizing this display as many have in this thread.

My PG278Q when set to Warm, Normal, color depths appears yellowish... way more so than I like... I have been adjusting the colors non stop trying to find that perfect setting... one moment I am thinking that I have it set perfect... and then the next moment it appears too yellowish or too red... grrrr...

I have been so frustrated trying to find the perfect color setting that I am about to drop the money on a Color calibration device. However, I fear though that once it is color calibrated, it will appear yellowish to me as that is what I have read is typical when you are attempting to achieve 6500K. I typically prefer a warmer setting.

And one more thing... not necessarily a complaint... it did take me a couple days to get used to the 1440p resolution. Icons are much smaller of course with the benefit of the additional real estate. I had to move my monitor closer to me as I found the icons were just a bit too small.

The grainy AG coating took some getting used to as I had been using a glossy screen in the S27A950D. I do prefer glossy but I really don't mind the matte style finish. If a similar G-sync monitor came to the market and it was glossy... I'd be looking to get that instead though.

I have been trying to find a cheap color calibrator... is the Spyder4Express good enough? I already broke the bank with the purchase of the PG278Q but I have been wanting, for several years now, a color calibrator that wasn't too expensive...

I have 2 complaints... the color shift is much more noticeable on this PG278Q as compared to my old S27A950D. When I am sitting directly in front of the monitor and look right in the middle of the screen, I can tell that the left most portion and right most portion of the screen are slightly off in color as compared to the middle of the screen. Yet, if I move my head so that I am directly in front of the left of the screen or right of the screen... those areas are then fine.

That seems odd and might be an uniformity issue. I don't notice anything like that on mine.

My PG278Q when set to Warm, Normal, color depths appears yellowish... way more so than I like... I have been adjusting the colors non stop trying to find that perfect setting... one moment I am thinking that I have it set perfect... and then the next moment it appears too yellowish or too red... grrrr...

User color at default settings with brightness dropped down to 20 works for me (and similar settings mentioned in reviews). Instead of just using the display to adjust the color, you could try using Windows' built in color calibration along with it. While games will largely ignore that setting, on desktop it will apply.

Colors "popping" is the oversaturated bullshit that you expect to see on a TV at factory settings in a store. This is not the setting you should have on any display.

The PG278Q does not have wide gamut, it does have fairly accurate sRGB calibration right out of the box. Its colors look good and not oversaturated. IMO the only part where you notice the TN is the viewing angles and color shifts associated with it. As long as you are sitting directly in front of it and not using the portrait mode you should enjoy the image quality just fine.

As for antiglare coating, I come from the "notorious" Dell displays and the AG didn't bother me much there. The AG on the ASUS is far less "grainy" and is not offensive at all. This forum, due to a vocal minority, is probably the only one where I've seen AG coating actually mentioned so much.

Do not buy several of the ASUS displays if you plan to use them in portrait mode. The top/bottom color shift becomes a much bigger issue when the display is turned sideways (making the top and bottom to left and right side). Regular landscape mode is fine though personally I don't know what I would do with so much desktop space - I sold my 30" Dell because it was hard to fit on the table at the same time and I had no use for it outside of work.

Thank you for your insight. I wish to see "popping colors" because they make me feel my display is worth the money. I'm not a photographer and so I don't need accuracy of colors. Infact, recently I wanted to go to get my eyes checked after not noticing feminine assets. I want the grass in the screen to look very green, the spells I'm using to look spectacular and stuff. The reason there is a vocal minority here who love glossy coating is because the lack of AG coating even on a TN screen will make the grass look greener.
And you're probably right about three display real estate. I just want three monitors now because in the past I couldn't afford it.
Thank you for replying to me and your observation about the AG coating.

Thank you for your insight. I wish to see "popping colors" because they make me feel my display is worth the money. I'm not a photographer and so I don't need accuracy of colors. Infact, recently I wanted to go to get my eyes checked after not noticing feminine assets. I want the grass in the screen to look very green, the spells I'm using to look spectacular and stuff. The reason there is a vocal minority here who love glossy coating is because the lack of AG coating even on a TN screen will make the grass look greener.

The funny thing is that the more expensive the display, the less likely you are to have overblown colors as they come better calibrated from the factory. I firmly believe everyone needs accurate colors. Otherwise you'll have weird tints etc that make things look less life-like.

I work with 2-3 displays at the office (1680x1050 or 1920x1080) right now and feel that is just the right amount of real estate, but would be perfectly fine with a single 1440p or 1600p display.

The funny thing is that the more expensive the display, the less likely you are to have overblown colors as they come better calibrated from the factory. I firmly believe everyone needs accurate colors. Otherwise you'll have weird tints etc that make things look less life-like.

I work with 2-3 displays at the office (1680x1050 or 1920x1080) right now and feel that is just the right amount of real estate, but would be perfectly fine with a single 1440p or 1600p display.

yes and what's also true is that the cheap tn displays - aka dell totally grainy matte washed out 2011 - 2012 tn displays have very non vibrant and washed out colors.

Hey guys (hello again falkonlndian).

I picked up this monitor today and my short opinion is:
as long as you pair it with a high end video card (I'm using an overclocked Titan) and of course a relative modern CPU, gaming in fast-pace first person shooters at 120-144fps is silky smooth on this thing compared to a normal 60 hz monitor.

As long as you are coming from a 27" (and imagine coming from 1080p!!) or smaller monitor, I think you will be quite happy with the PG278Q.
(I will leave downside to this monitor vs my old one in the thread where I compared the two).

Because time = money.

First of all, I hate this stupid equation that I keep seeing pop up.

Time does NOT equal money. Time is much more valuable than money because money is a always possible outcome of time (depending on choices) but time is not a always possible outcome of money except in very certain situations (regardless of choices).

I have no idea how much (or if) you pay for returning an item to Amazon but even if it is $15 it's still cheaper than money for gas and your hourly wage. Because you have to take that into account.

If there's something wrong with it, you don't pay anything. Also even if it was 30-40$, it would be worth less than me using my time to drive to Microcenter. My time is worth more to me than the amount I earn per hour (and even if it wasn't, that would still be close enough for me to value the lazier option...).

30-40$ is about how much money it would take to ship this back to Amazon for no fault, by the way. The Viewsonic VP2770's I was exchanging for a while cost about that much on the last return. It came in about the same size box as this thing. Of course they refunded me when they got it.

It just takes slightly longer to get a return. Whether or not that difference in time is worth the extra savings or expenses is personal preference.

First of all like I said above returning to Amazon is free. They pay return shipping and even pick up the item and give you your new one before you know what happened. The point I was making earlier was simply that they have a soft cap on exchanges that most people still don't seem to realize exists. Microcenter can be worth the hassle to drive there, but it can also generally not. Considering that "driving" wasn't the only con I gave, I'm really thinking you people have some trouble reading.

Last edited:
And 2560x1440.

You see any other monitor out there with those specs?
When I said 1440p , I meant 2560x1440.

2560x 27" g-sync/ulmb mode... intentionally mfg's to be 120hz-144hz.

And repeatedly overlooked by the ips comment people ... 1ms response time.
Yes, but for gaming, do you play much better at 144 Hz vs. 120 Hz that the Korean and Overlord monitors do? I can understand vs. 60 Hz that say a Dell or HP monitor offers it's a noticeable difference.

And is 1 ms vs. a few ms of the Korean/Overlord monitors another huge advantage in gaming?

When I said 1440p , I meant 2560x1440.

Yes, but for gaming, do you play much better at 144 Hz vs. 120 Hz that the Korean and Overlord monitors do? I can understand vs. 60 Hz that say a Dell or HP monitor offers it's a noticeable difference.

And is 1 ms vs. a few ms of the Korean/Overlord monitors another huge advantage in gaming?
The slower response time of IPS means that there will be significant ghosting at high refresh rates. That few millseconds difference of response time means ages in terms of motion. Ghosting means increased blur which leads to poorer visibility which can cause a poor experience when gaming compared to what you could get with a TN panels and features such as those in the PG278Q.

My post below is not meant to be a slam against Asus products in anyway. All my motherboards since the Striker Extreme have been Asus. Currently have an Asus Rampage V Extreme and 5960x sitting next to me for my next build. Asus products are generally great.

But I think I'm one of the few people in this thread who own both an LG 34" 21:9 and the PG278Q, and I'm sorry but...

for everything EXCEPT some high-speed FPS games (BF4, CoD) the LG is by far the superior / more pleasant experience. I'm not saying this because I own the LG. I own BOTH. Just one dudes opinion.

(Not sure the backlight issue people are talking about on the LG. Mine seems normal in the dark.)

If you are coming from 1080p or perhaps a low-end 2560 x 1440, you will like the Asus. If you are coming from 3440 x 1440, you WONT.

Last edited:
^ Um... what?

The difference in motion clarity is big coming from anything (sans CRT), and you can feel it in any game. I noticed it instantly when moving games between my Qnix (which better than your LG as far as gaming performance goes) and the ROG Swift (when I had one anyway). The fluidity difference is pretty big...

Also, what "low-end" 1440p? AFAIK every 1440p monitor is either IPS or PLS (or the new VA, which is indeed a little worse). This is the only TN.

Screen space, I won't comment on. That's your preference, and I have yet to experience how good that resolution is. My issue with it is game support. I've had issues in games with non-standard (read: anything but 16:9) resolutions... so I'm wary.

Hi Stole:

I knew my opinion would be unpopular, but I own both. I have 1800 USD worth of monitors sitting in front of me, with nothing to gain from it (wont put either one on Ebay until something like a 34" 4K w/ g-sync or a 34" 21:9 w/ 120/144hz+ g-sync comes)

Agreed with you that some games (older ones tho) don't like 3440 x 1440. You have to manually modify an *.inf file for Fallout New Vegas to get it to show 3400 x 1440, but then it looks AWESOME. From what I hear, World of Tanks will NOT play 3440 x 1400. Period. You have to set it to 2560 x 1440, and accept black letter box bars on the lateral (which pretty quickly isn't distracting, especially when the game background is dark). But all "new" games on my 'puter show the 3440 x 1440 fine (but Heroes and Generals does require a manual tweak each match)

All I can say, from using both in an 'Average Joes' capacity is that the Asus is superior for headshots in BF4 / Heroes and Generals (The hardware 'cheat' of a PC board aiming cursor is especially useful in BF4 hardcode mode, which is not something that is funnily not often discussed...) I'd argue the hardware hack of showing a on-screen cursor of exactly where your aim point is, is a great + for my kill count than the smoothness. Funny how when you DON'T have to look down the iron sights / optics in a FPS to get an exact fix on where your mouse cursor is, well, that's not mentioned much.. But I DO like that....

But either way: My first Heroes and Generals game with the PG278Q, I racked up 18 kills (playing as SMG infantry) vs the usual 6-8 I was getting on the LG (and Dell before that). The Asus def has an advantage in FPS shoot-em gaming over the LG BUT (man that hardware gun sight cursor is nice for run and gun shots.)....

The LG is superior for every other task (and game) I've done. GW2, WarGame Red Dragon, and just generally opening 4 x pics + 1 youtube vid in IE and 1 x foreign webpage in Chrome because you need it translated.... Well, the LG win hands down. Heck, even Wasteland 2 looks far better in 3440 x 1440 than 2560 x 1440. I guess it depends on how far back you game. I've gamed since the Atari 800XL / Commodore 64, so I hear ya on retro support. My point here was not to slam the PG278Q. I have one. My point here, was for a normal person that is only going to drop <1000 USD or less, one time, on a monitor, you really need to ask yourself "What do I plan on doing with this thing the most?"

It's not a slam, it's an observation from a guy who dropped the cash to buy both. I think what the guy buying has to ask himself is: Yeah, the LG costs more. Say, 1000 USD vs 800 USD. But for 200 bucks, well, that's a nice dinner out. So he has to ask himself: "What am I going do more on this thing..."

Or buy both, which I did. When I play BF4 / Heroes and Generals, I plug in the Asus (I'm still on the fence which is better for WarThunder). For anything else, I push it aside and plug in the LG.

-T

Last edited:
Okay, a few things:
1. I don't think many people care how much you dropped on this. Most (or a comparative lot) people here spend a lot of money on things. I was almost ready to drop 1.1k on a used CRT through wireline. So, please stop using price as any justification of your opinion (or at least stop waving it around, it's slightly tasteless no offense).

2. As far as panels for gaming go the Qnix is superior or equal to the LG, and my observation was that motion clarity on the ROG Swift was far improved compared to my Qnix. It was quite a huge difference. The only difference between your panel and a 280-300$ Qnix is 34% more pixels on the left and right. Or, 134% of the screen estate. Or, 17% more pixels on either side of the center. It's like 3 times as much for that much of a difference, on a side note...

Screen estate and productivity and such I won't argue with, but to say that the Swift did nothing but improve my gaming experience except in cases where I was going against Ritalin teenagers or something is a bit silly... It was an all around gaming improvement, and if both of my panels didn't have those defects I would have loved it. It did very well with my 780 SLI combo...

Its not an argument.

I plug in my DP cable to the Asus when I want to play BF4 / Heroes Generals, or any game that benefits from a hardware generated aim point....

I plug in my DP cable to the LG for everything else. Is what it is.

I bought both. So its just some physical gymnastics. I'm trying to point out some stuff to the guy/gal who doesn't want to buy both.

For me 120hz+ with low response time is about aesthetics - of motion definition, motion articulation, and motion clarity, not kill rates.
web-cyb.org:120hz-fps-compared
There is no way I will go back to 60hz + worse response times on 1st/3rd person games, even for 21:9 60hz ips.

I'd love the 27" 16:9 g-sync for 1st/3rd person games + the 21:9 LG as a desktop/app monitor though.
I use two different monitors as it is - one is ips with a greater resolution, and one is TN. The tradeoffs are too great for me either way (desktop/app usage vs gaming usage).
Perhaps, with that 27" 1ms g-sync + 21:9 60hz higher response time kind of setup, I'd experiment with a few isometric and rpg games on the 21:9 60hz (games like the Van Helsing series, Path of exile, Might and Magic VI: heroes, maybe diablo if I owned it.. etc) since the FoV moves so slowly in relation to your character and to your monitor.

Other than that there would be no comparison in 1st/3rd person gaming where you are continually movement keying and mouse-look flow pathing the entire game world around in your viewport.

-----------------------

In regard to colors as well as AG, those are still concerns of mine as well, coming from a glossy samsung A750D (my ips screen paired with it is also glossy).
You can set up color profiles in most drivers using hotkeys or right click menus, so if you want more realistic colors for movies and desktop use you can have that. I don't need my colors to be crayola or neon in games, but as another person stated - there has been a crop of pale TN monitors out in recent history. I would be very dissatisfied with something like that after having the notable color saturation/vibrancy on my samsung A750D tn. Not all TN's are as capable of color saturation as others.

Last edited:
Elvn:

I hear ya.

From playing back to back on these 2, GW2 (MMOprg) / Wasteland 2 and Fallout New Vegas (single player RPGs) and Wargame Red Dragon (RTS) look/play so much better on the LG 34"

BF4 / WarThunder / CoD / Heroes and Generals (see a theme here?) are much slicker (regardless of HW generated aim-point or not) on the Asus.

Win 8 desktop KILLS on the LG vs the Asus

My quip was, there really isn't a clear winner here. I have to keep both monitors (glad my desk is fucking big) until a 34" 21:9 120+hz w/ g-sync comes out and/or a 32" 4K 120+hz w/ g-sync comes out. You can see that I put the + g-sync for both choices, as the limited experience I have with it tells me it's cool.

There simply isn't a clear winner between these 2 x display panels. I wish there was, because I hate stockpiling shit. But I have both, and, well, there a'int.

Last edited:
It's a nice setup. I'd be curious to see a picture showing both but with the TN head on rather than sidelong though, since we all know TN's have shift exacerbated when not viewing directly. Also be aware that cameras often make the least bright monitor in a photo look pale and desaturated compared to the brighter one, even if it isn't that extreme in "real life" to your eyes. Ambient lighting levels vs the monitor levels also come into play. Cameras don't resolve the same way our eyes do. This happened frequently in photos I would take of my fw900 graphics professional crt running next to a brighter LCD. The crt would look like a ghost panel in the most extreme cases.

I'll also leave this here since you mentioned 4k panels compared to 2560x ones. web-cyb.org 4k_21x9_2560x-27in-and-30in_1080p_same-ppi.jpg. Of course other than the aspect ratio of the 21:9, the others would be the same 16:9 scene with no additional game real-estate, "only" pixel density differences(and of course desktop/app real-estate).

...<snip> ...

I have to keep both monitors (glad my desk is fucking big) until a 34" 21:9 120+hz w/ g-sync comes out and/or a 32" 4K 120+hz w/ g-sync comes out. You can see that I put the + g-sync for both choices, as the limited experience I have with it tells me it's cool.

There simply isn't a clear winner between these 2 x display panels. I wish there was, because I hate stockpiling shit. But I have both, and, well, there a'int.

Considering the response time of ips, imo even with a 120hz 21:9 g-sync+ulmb gaming monitor, or a 120hz 16:9 4k gsync+ulmb gaming monitor - they would again have to be 1ms TN or they would blur more toward the 60hz end of the scale in an ips. Therefore I'd still want an ips alongside of one of the 1ms gaming monitors, for the color uniformity and lack of tn shift (~ "shadow-gradient bar" at top or bottom), so would probably still have two different monitors at my desk. Unless there were a ~1ms VA in the aforementioned high resolution gaming monitor types perhaps, or oled someyear... (or whenever the oculus rift actually comes out - perhaps that would take over the gaming monitor position/role in time).

Last edited:
I cant fit both in a head on.

The pics I snapped weren't an argument for quality of the LG. (You wont ever be able to see a + quality pic from an Niko snapped pic of 2 x monitors). I was simply showing the drastic real estate difference between the two monitors.

I can't record my FPS gameplay with the hardware aim point in Heroes Generals / BF 4 on the Asus, but it is definitely superior to the kills I get with the LG (or my Dell 2711) in those titles.

Last edited:
I had my finger on the buy button for the LG this morning but decided to wait and try the ROG. There have been too many reviews from people I respect saying how big of a jump G-sync/144hz is from 60hz that I just have to try it myself or else I'd always be left wondering. I've had the LG when it first came out and it was awesome,played through Wolfenstein on it and loved every second. The windows experience is second to none as well.

However,I'm super anal about Vsync,screen tearing and stuttering. Im always going into the options if I see a hint of stuttering/frame drops when I game on PC. Its gotten to the point were I've moved over to playing the next gen console version just so I won't have the option to mess with settings,I just want a smooth experience. From everything I've read, G-sync fixes this and brings PC gaming closer to a console like gaming experience. I HAVE to try that before I decide on which of these two monitors I'd get and keep for the long term.

Why doesn't this support analog input? Why an LCD? An $800 monitor... That only can be used with shitty DRM-encumbered connections? Really? VGA can do 144Hz at 1440p with only a little signal degradation. And if this was a CRT, SED, or FED it would have better color than any IPS.

Why doesn't this support analog input? Why an LCD? An $800 monitor... That only can be used with shitty DRM-encumbered connections? Really? VGA can do 144Hz at 1440p with only a little signal degradation. And if this was a CRT, SED, or FED it would have better color than any IPS.

Because GSYNC only works with displayport.

1st world problems! Haha, which of these amazing monitors is better? Hopefully display tech soon gets to the point where we can have great viewing angles, absolute motion clarity, zero input lag, perception limit ppi, and perfect color reproduction. My wallet is ready and waiting impatiently.

Because GSYNC only works with displayport.

G-Sync sucks. There, I said it.

A bit of tearing is a lot better than having any motion at all causing the whole screen to degenerate into a blurred mass of transitioning pixels. You can't use low-persistance with G-Sync, so G-Sync is a piece of shit that no one should use. Low-persistance works fine on VGA and any other analog technologies.

1st world problems! Haha, which of these amazing monitors is better? Hopefully display tech soon gets to the point where we can have great viewing angles, absolute motion clarity, zero input lag, perception limit ppi, and perfect color reproduction. My wallet is ready and waiting impatiently.

What you are describing is called a modern CRT, FED, or SED. Unfortunately, greedy companies prefer to push the industry 15 years into the past and use non-phosphor-based technologies, such as LCDs. You can't lace an analog technology with evil Digital Restrictions Management schemes such as HDCP, so the industry chose form over function in the early 2000s. Now, SEDs and FEDs could be used, but they are still analog and therefore can not be encumbered with DRM and, because of the switch to LCDs, most people have gotten used to: locked resolution, DRM, horrible contest (black and white are shown as gray), terrible color, motion blurring, useless PWM flicker (phosphor flicker eliminates all motion blur, so it is actually a good thing; PWM causes flicker for no good reason), slideshow refresh rates (30Hz-60Hz), low resolutions (1920x1080), insane prices to get a half-usable monitor ($800 for a PG278Q), vendor locked features (nVidia G-Sync, nVidia downsampling, ATI FreeSync, ATI Eyefinity, nVidia ULMB). And I could keep going with the downsides that the use of LCDs have when compared to SEDs and FEDs. LCDs only advantage over CRTs is weight; LCDs have zero advantages over SEDs and FEDs (other than stuffing display manufacturers' pockets, of course).

Last edited:
LCDs only advantage over CRTs is weight;

Not taking up half my desk space, consuming way less power, and not emitting an annoying high pitched sound (not sure if I could hear that anymore) are also advantages. PWM flicker is also turning into a thing of the past. I believe the ROG is flicker free, though I wouldn't know since I'm not sensitive to it anyway. At this point, I don't miss CRTs one bit. A decade ago, sure. But now? Nope.

Miniaturization of display technology came at a cost. But it's getting better.

Back