ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Wow, look at all these bad experiences people are saying about their Asus ROG monitors. What a shame about the poor QC. Especially at $800. :(

Wow, look at all these bad experiences people are saying about their Asus ROG monitors. What a shame about the poor QC. Especially at $800. :(

Yeah, I really feel for the people having issues. It also makes me worry that mine will be next. All I can do is wait and enjoy it before it breaks, if/when that happens.

Yeah, I really feel for the people having issues. It also makes me worry that mine will be next. All I can do is wait and enjoy it before it breaks, if/when that happens.

Just remember...it's the people who have problems who post....People who don't more often then not don't.

Also, you get a fair share of whiners too....you know who you are ;p

That's quite the difference. Once almost as dim as it goes and one almost as bright as it goes. Don't blurbusters recommend setting the ULMB/Lightboost pulse width to a fairly low number for optimum blur reduction? Something like a high pulse width doesn't strobe the backlight off for enough of the refresh?

The pulse width setting starts reducing brightness at anything under 90. I think the whole range on it is perfectly fine, just that the lower the number the less motion blur. To be honest I can't tell much of a difference between lower settings other than the display being unusably dim. But at 90 or more it's great!

I also have encountered a series of annoying problems. For one, my computer takes FOREVER to boot with the PG278Q attached. Think 3+ minutes instead of <30 seconds. I think the BIOS/UEFI is freaking out for some reason, as it tends to hang on the splash screen several times, once it gets to the Windows loader it seems to be fine. I'm running a 2500k/MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z/GTX 680, for reference.

That's really weird. Mine takes a few seconds to power on but that's it. Does the problem disappear if you connect something via DVI or HDMI as Nvidia cards seem to prefer those for primary display outside an actual OS?

The other annoying problem I noticed last night was that 144Hz wasn't listed in the NVIDIA control panel. I fixed it by unplugging the DisplayPort cable and plugging back in. I can only assume that when the monitor initialized to the PC it didn't think there was sufficient bandwidth for 144Hz.

You can fix that by going to the Nvidia control panel and adding a custom resolution with nothing but refresh rate changed. It doesn't appear as custom res, just add the 144 Hz setting back in. I still have no idea what causes this but it only occurs after reboot or sleep. Probably a driver issue.

Just remember...it's the people who have problems who post....People who don't more often then not don't.

I'm pretty sure we had a decent amount of people in this thread that said "nah dude my panel is perfect." Hence this statement is wrong. And the fact that positive ratings exist on Amazon is also proof that your statement is wrong. It's more of a "people who report in" versus people that do not type of deal. If it's about amount of content, the people that do have a positive experience tend to simply stop at a few posts or so. After all, if the product is working as expected, what more is there to say? You can read about the product's purpose and what it's supposed to do on an information page anywhere.

On the other hand, the "unintended" functions have to be reported to other consumers by consumers.

Also, you get a fair share of whiners too....you know who you are ;p

Define "whining".

I fail to see how reporting negative experiences with an experimental technology is simply whining. It's essentially saying that when you buy this product, you could experience any of these issues. I fail to see how that's simply whining. In fact, I hate the everloving crap out of that term because the line between excessive complaints and moderate complaints is utterly subjective.

If the product had adequate QC and testing, there would not be this "whining". Period. End of story.

I think for the first time ever, I got a PERFECT display. Zero dead pixels, ZERO backlight bleed and the most uniform panel I have ever seen. I hit the lottery. Pics due it no justice as the black one is completely deep black . I am going to take a dump and call it a night!

Mine has no dead/stuck pixels but I do have some more than average backlight bleed on the center right side where most people see it. It's not too bad, can only see it in pitch black environment.

well , i couldn't resist . went and got it . will not have it setup till tomorrow , after i tear down the surround setup.

Thanks, Zepharus. You give me hope I'll get a good one (at least if I'm able to find one).

YAY!! I got 1 and I bought it right now and selected In Store Pick-up so at 10 AM I can walk into my local Microcenter ( WESTMONT ILL ) and get it at the customer service desk. They do have 1 left according to their website. Should I grab it?

Is there a GSYNC option in the Nvidia drivers? I downloaded the most current ones and don't see it? Or do I need the moniter hooked up to see it? Im just getting prepared so when I bring it home I can plug it in and start gaming.

Is there a GSYNC option in the Nvidia drivers? I downloaded the most current ones and don't see it? Or do I need the moniter hooked up to see it? Im just getting prepared so when I bring it home I can plug it in and start gaming.

The drivers must detect a G-SYNC display. They will show

Thanks! After I hook it up then it should show in the Nvidia control Panel. Im so glad im getting this now so I can test out my 3 780Gtxs in tri-sli and see how well it will work, This will help me decide if I need to by Nvidias 980GTXs ( Or whatever they will call it ) or keep these until Pascal.

The pulse width setting starts reducing brightness at anything under 90. I think the whole range on it is perfectly fine, just that the lower the number the less motion blur. To be honest I can't tell much of a difference between lower settings other than the display being unusably dim. But at 90 or more it's great!
I've been running mine at 50 and it's alright, but it's definitely better in a dark room. I'd certainly want to crank it up if it were sunny or I was using 3D shutter glasses. It's usable, just disappointingly dim. My impression is all the Lightboost monitors were/are like that too, though. It seems they don't spec the backlight brightness assuming low duty cycle ULMB, they spec it for "normal" use, which makes it dark during ULMB.
That's really weird. Mine takes a few seconds to power on but that's it. Does the problem disappear if you connect something via DVI or HDMI as Nvidia cards seem to prefer those for primary display outside an actual OS?
My U3014 connected via DP 1.2 hasn't ever caused a slow boot, just the SWIFT. Weird, I know.
You can fix that by going to the Nvidia control panel and adding a custom resolution with nothing but refresh rate changed. It doesn't appear as custom res, just add the 144 Hz setting back in. I still have no idea what causes this but it only occurs after reboot or sleep. Probably a driver issue.
When I started up last night, 144Hz wasn't there. This morning it was. Seems to be somewhat random. I'm sticking by my theory that it's not always properly detecting the available bandwidth or somesuch.

I've been running mine at 50 and it's alright, but it's definitely better in a dark room. I'd certainly want to crank it up if it were sunny or I was using 3D shutter glasses. It's usable, just disappointingly dim. My impression is all the Lightboost monitors were/are like that too, though. It seems they don't spec the backlight brightness assuming low duty cycle ULMB, they spec it for "normal" use, which makes it dark during ULMB.

It's normal physics laws - if they wanted to keep same brightness at 50 as it has on 100 they would need to double maximum brightness of backlight - if they wanted to keep same brightness at 20 they would need 5 times more powerfull LEDs.

Just a small update. Some may have seen the bad monitor I got earlier. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1800408&page=90

Today I picked up my second one and this appears to me almost perfect. Some slight bleeding along the bottom edge but that's not going to bother me much compared to the hughe splotch in the middle of the screen on the last one. Haven't taken any pictures yet because it's a bit bright here but will put up some comparions between the panels when it's around the same level of darkness in the room as it was when the last pictures were taken.

I think for the first time ever, I got a PERFECT display. Zero dead pixels, ZERO backlight bleed and the most uniform panel I have ever seen. I hit the lottery. Pics due it no justice as the black one is completely deep black . I am going to take a dump and call it a night!

Dude that is one bad ass picture. What the hell is that?

Last edited:
It's normal physics laws - if they wanted to keep same brightness at 50 as it has on 100 they would need to double maximum brightness of backlight - if they wanted to keep same brightness at 20 they would need 5 times more powerfull LEDs.
I know. My point was that they should greatly increase backlight brightness and software limit it so normal 100% backlight doesn't use the full, absurd, power, and ULMB then has a reasonable brightness. Especially when ULMB needs to be turned down somewhat for proper blur reduction.

Dude that is one bad ass picture. What the hell is that?

That would be Death from Darksiders II

The game is okay. The artstyle of the games, but perhaps not this particular drawing is made by the guy who used to draw the Spawn comics.

what gpu's everyone running? got a pair of gtx770 2gb and worried it might not be enough.

I see some folks post here with sli 680's, while others are worried if their sli 780's are enough. I play mostly dota2 and cs:go, but would like to option to get new games without having to play them at the lowest settings.

Last edited:
Props for the Darksiders II desktop Joe Madureira created that entire series with his concept art and art design for Virgil. I was a fan of his since the Deadpool mini series he did in the 90s.
One day I will be able to draw as good and him =)

what gpu's everyone running? got a pair of gtx770 2gb and worried it might not be enough.

I see some folks post here with sli 680's, while others are worried if their sli 780's are enough. I play mostly dota2 and cs:go, but would like to option to get new games without having to play them at the lowest settings.

I have SLI 780s and it's more than enough.

You'll be fine with your 770s as long as you don't try and do anything SUPER high texture because of the relatively small amount of VRAM. No skyrim texture mods, for example.

I have SLI 780s and it's more than enough.

You'll be fine with your 770s as long as you don't try and do anything SUPER high texture because of the relatively small amount of VRAM. No skyrim texture mods, for example.

THat's what i was hoping for. Thanks for the quick reply :D

My single 680 is easily able to push 200+ FPS in GO, you'll be fine in that regard. Although GO is a pretty graphically simple game. Not sure about DOTA2.

CS: GO is pretty easy on system requirements. I've got a singe MSI 780 Lightning and I can play TF2, L4D2 and other source games easily. For BF4 I don't get 100+ FPS with the details turned up, more like 40-70 but with g-sync the game is pretty fluid -- and the reason I bought it.

In about the 72-80+th hour of my "leave Payday 2 idling in 144Hz" for several days straight benchmark. So far the monitor has been running fine. No flickering, no halos, no anomalies. The turbo button has been working flawlessly as well. I wonder if maybe I just don't have the right visual settings on... but then again when the last one started flickering, it was flickering regardless of what map I was looking at. The whole panel went to hell.

Honestly the only thing that bothers me about the panel is this little "dent" or "bend" looking thing on the right.side of the panel. It's not visible except on straight backgrounds, but it's kind of annoying. The one stuck subpixel and the backlight being a tad clouded isn't really that bad. I talked to a friend while we went bowling and he said that it does its job (gaming) fine, so there really shouldn't be any reason to return it. I guess it's perfectionism vs practicality.

Guys please! ULMB users; do you get slightly blurry text on our bookmarks bar in Chrome when its enabled on the desktop?

On a side note I just tried this out. I haven't even tried ULMB till now.

Yeah, I don't think any of my text is blurry with ULMB with this panel. Could you take a screenshot? Mine looks pretty normal to me. It's about as sharp as normal I think. I tried cycling between the other refresh rates with the turbo button real quick and didn't notice any difference with the text. What's your pulse width?

Also is it possible to use ULMB at 144Hz? Mine only allows me to enable it at 120Hz. As soon as I go to 144Hz it automatically turns it off.

For some reason ULMB kind of seems to make my eyes more tired anyway though. Doesn't it use some kind of strobing effect or some crap?

Wow, that is a massive difference, yeah...

Does the blurring amount depend on the pulse width in any way? Because even at 100 pulse width it was a massive difference without much brightness loss...

Wow, that is a massive difference, yeah...

Does the blurring amount depend on the pulse width in any way? Because even at 100 pulse width it was a massive difference without much brightness loss...

Yes. The shorter the pulse the less blur. This is probably the best test for it.
http://testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=toronto-map.png&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0
You can easily read the street names using ULMB. They are unreadable otherwise. You can experiment cranking up the speed as you adjust the pulse width.

Last edited:
Back