ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

It's kind of hard to find random posts in a very long topic. But if you read on you would also find out that I solved that problem earlier by doing what you suggested. I just tried it on instinct and it worked.

But all of that said, I'm still sending this thing back.
I was playing Payday 2 with a friend just earlier and then noticed when a certain level loaded my screen just started flickering like crazy at 144Hz at some point. Then this persisted for every single other level. When I alt tabbed out, my text was all fuzzy and blurred in Explorer and in Waterfox and everything else under the sun. After trying to fix the annoying backlight flickering during the game desperately to no avail, and even with driver reinstalls nothing.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ft-PG278Q-Blurry-text-and-bad-quality-overall

And yeah apparently there's nothing you can do.

This is friggin pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. I was willing to deal with 2 stuck subpixels, but then it can't even keep it down to that! Now it's even more messed up. Yeah, I'm kind of sick of dealing with this thing already. I'm taking it back to Fry's as soon as they open today. I don't even care if they don't have any more in stock. They can just have it back, I don't need a replacement if they don't have one already there. Between Signal errors that you can't solve except by restarting (sometimes alt tabbing doesn't even work and if you try to unplug during the game, good luck. It'll lock up the entire system, probably thanks to G-Sync), panel quality control, and then it suddenly deciding to fail by making text blurry and the backlight flicker like crazy... yeah I don't need this.

I know I've been mercurial about my opinion on this thing, but this time it's a bit much.

With regards to the fuzzy text; this might sound basic but have you unplugged it from the mains for a minute or two and held the power button in for 15 seconds during the time its been unplugged and tried again?

With regards to the flickering a member on another forum has the same problem with his old VG248QE so its either an unavoidable characteristic of G-Sync or it will be patched with a driver.

With regards to the fuzzy text; this might sound basic but have you unplugged it from the mains for a minute or two and held the power button in for 15 seconds during the time its been unplugged and tried again?

No I didn't. If you might be kind enough to explain what this is supposed to do... I might find the willingness to unpack this thing and try before I head to Fry's.

With regards to the flickering a member on another forum has the same problem with his old VG248QE so its either an unavoidable characteristic of G-Sync or it will be patched with a driver.

I highly doubt it's an unavoidable characteristic of G-Sync. Other members have noted it while browsing and scrolling on white backgrounds and loading (where I experience it during neither event on my panel), but I'm actually witnessing this in-game. And the game doesn't matter. I tried out Diablo 3 after Payday 2 and I experienced the same flickering. It did not do this when it first came in, and I certainly did not change drivers before it started to do this. Hence there's no way this can be anything but a recent problem.

Furthermore what's interesting is that the blurry text and backlight flickering started at the same time. Literally, right after I started noticing the backlight flickering in Payday 2, my text got blurry.

Considering this post:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...uality-overall&p=425088&viewfull=1#post425088
There doesn't seem to be a way to solve the latter except returning.

Actually I tried your suggestion anyway because I had some time. No dice. Also I am now noticing that the colors appear to be dying out on this lol. The quote bars under in my post above are actually GREEN when at the stock brightness (because I tried a reset). Plus they're bigger than they're supposed to be. This thing's entered another level of messed up. I've got some pictures on my phone. I'll see if I can upload them later. For the fuzzy text pictures, just refer to that post I linked. Mine look exactly like that.

I'm Ch0b0 from the other forum you're referring to :D. The fact that it occurs on two G-Sync screens is somewhat bad news for G-Sync. I'm really hoping it can be patched with a driver.

I also stumbled upon a new test that causes the monitor to flicker when you *click* the mouse. A little odd, but true.

1. Load up Morrowind
  2. Open up your Journal
  3. Click the mouse button

Every time you click the mouse button, it flickers. Something about input is interfering with the image. It's possible this issue is related to the GPU and not the monitor in some way. Is the backlight flickering, or is the image just darkening for a split second?

Actually I tried your suggestion anyway because I had some time. No dice. Also I am now noticing that the colors appear to be dying out on this lol. The quote bars under in my post above are actually GREEN when at the stock brightness (because I tried a reset). Plus they're bigger than they're supposed to be. This thing's entered another level of messed up. I've got some pictures on my phone. I'll see if I can upload them later. For the fuzzy text pictures, just refer to that post I linked. Mine look exactly like that.

Damn not what I wanted to hear. There has been a few too many of these reports regarding the text going fuzzy. I thought it might be a firmware/controller issue that could be resolved via a power drain.

How long did you have the panel before it went tits up?

No I didn't. If you might be kind enough to explain what this is supposed to do... I might find the willingness to unpack this thing and try before I head to Fry's.

I highly doubt it's an unavoidable characteristic of G-Sync. Other members have noted it while browsing and scrolling on white backgrounds and loading (where I experience it during neither event on my panel), but I'm actually witnessing this in-game. And the game doesn't matter. I tried out Diablo 3 after Payday 2 and I experienced the same flickering. It did not do this when it first came in, and I certainly did not change drivers before it started to do this. Hence there's no way this can be anything but a recent problem.

Furthermore what's interesting is that the blurry text and backlight flickering started at the same time. Literally, right after I started noticing the backlight flickering in Payday 2, my text got blurry.

Considering this post:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...uality-overall&p=425088&viewfull=1#post425088
There doesn't seem to be a way to solve the latter except returning.

All the flickering I have witnessed have been in game when GSync is enabled. I read a suggestion that says it happens worse when in game using the steam overlay browsing a website and scrolling. Is this what you are referring to or have you read someone is getting this in 2D desktop mode as well?

It's kind of hard to find random posts in a very long topic. But if you read on you would also find out that I solved that problem earlier by doing what you suggested. I just tried it on instinct and it worked.

But all of that said, I'm still sending this thing back.
I was playing Payday 2 with a friend just earlier and then noticed when a certain level loaded my screen just started flickering like crazy at 144Hz at some point. Then this persisted for every single other level. When I alt tabbed out, my text was all fuzzy and blurred in Explorer and in Waterfox and everything else under the sun. After trying to fix the annoying backlight flickering during the game desperately to no avail, and even with driver reinstalls nothing.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ft-PG278Q-Blurry-text-and-bad-quality-overall

And yeah apparently there's nothing you can do.

This is friggin pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. I was willing to deal with 2 stuck subpixels, but then it can't even keep it down to that! Now it's even more messed up. Yeah, I'm kind of sick of dealing with this thing already. I'm taking it back to Fry's as soon as they open today. I don't even care if they don't have any more in stock. They can just have it back, I don't need a replacement if they don't have one already there. Between Signal errors that you can't solve except by restarting (sometimes alt tabbing doesn't even work and if you try to unplug during the game, good luck. It'll lock up the entire system, probably thanks to G-Sync), panel quality control, and then it suddenly deciding to fail by making text blurry and the backlight flicker like crazy... yeah I don't need this.

I know I've been mercurial about my opinion on this thing, but this time it's a bit much.

Yeah I would've sent the unit back with that much trouble as well. I had much better luck in the quality lottery and ended up with a panel with no dead pixels and good uniformity. As soon as the driver issues are fixed I'll be a happy camper.

I can't help but feel that G-Sync overall could use more work. It should be more seamless to switch and these Displayport issues are annoying. I used my previous Dell display with Displayport a lot at one point and never had any of the things people experience with the ASUS.

I'm Ch0b0 from the other forum you're referring to :D. The fact that it occurs on two G-Sync screens is somewhat bad news for G-Sync. I'm really hoping it can be patched with a driver.

I also stumbled upon a new test that causes the monitor to flicker when you *click* the mouse. A little odd, but true.

1. Load up Morrowind
  2. Open up your Journal
  3. Click the mouse button

Every time you click the mouse button, it flickers. Something about input is interfering with the image. It's possible this issue is related to the GPU and not the monitor in some way. Is the backlight flickering, or is the image just darkening for a split second?

One more thing I forgot to mention is someone on another forum was getting all kind of red lines on the other half of the screen. He fixed it by putting his PC into sleep mode and letting the monitor do the same then recovering it.

Damn not what I wanted to hear. There has been a few too many of these reports regarding the text going fuzzy. I thought it might be a firmware/controller issue that could be resolved via a power drain.

How long did you have the panel before it went tits up?

About 3 days now. I got it Thursday, but didn't do much with it. Been using it on and off Fri->Sun, and it's now Mon.

One time during this I put the monitor into 144Hz mode and turned the Overdrive to extreme in order to try to recover my stuck pixels using an unstucker. I left it alone for about 12 hours or so. It was fine in the morning though, and before I started using it for games I turned the Overdrive off again. Like I said I was just using it while playing Payday 2 with a friend and then suddenly I noticed flickering was starting up on a map. That's literally when everything started.

And like I said just now putting it into default settings I also noticed color shifts and all kinds of blurring, and the topic quote lines were even trailing along to the left some. It was quite bad.

So I guess if you want to quickly test your monitor for defects, try setting it into overdrive extreme for a while and then see if it's still fine the next day.

All the flickering I have witnessed have been in game when GSync is enabled. I read a suggestion that says it happens worse when in game using the steam overlay browsing a website and scrolling. Is this what you are referring to or have you read someone is getting this in 2D desktop mode as well?

I read some people were getting it on white backgrounds like nytimes. Anyway yeah my G-Sync was enabled while gaming but like I also said it didn't start out doing this in those specific games. Neither Payday 2 nor Diablo 3. Payday 2 started out just fine, and then suddenly everything went to crap on one map and I was like "wait a minute this ain't supposed to be happening..." Anyway going to Fry's now. They probably don't have any replacements so I'll just get my money back.

And Phillips wants 699$ for gsync 144hz 27" 1080p monitor...

We might need to wait to see what BenQ comes up with price point wise. There is a video of the XL27whateverG but it's very layman and doesn't really go into the details.

If people are suggesting frazzled Gsync boards, I'd be curious of the ambient temperature in the room of each setup. Just something to think about since many areas are in the 80's F outside in the past few weeks.

If people are suggesting frazzled Gsync boards, I'd be curious of the ambient temperature in the room of each setup. Just something to think about since many areas are in the 80's F outside in the past few weeks.

I mentioned this earlier, but we already know that the GSync module in these is overclocked and ASUS had to compensate with additional airflow and an improved heatsink. Correlation, maybe?

I do raise an eyebrow when I see people stick these at 144Hz and drive them there for 12-24 hours straight...

Don't get mad. Get even. Return it when it doesn't work. Asus will get the message.

More advice: Don't use 144hz. We know from past experience that 144hz has more software compatibility problems than 120hz.

More more advice: Don't EVER touch that refresh rate button on the monitor. How much testing do you think that feature has had? None. No game developer or Windows developer has EVER had this monitor on his desk to test it.

I will keep mine at 120Hz. Running it at 144Hz on the desktop prevent it from throttling down the GPU as several other have noted. Yes, I am too lazy to push the Turbo button...

I mentioned this earlier, but we already know that the GSync module in these is overclocked and ASUS had to compensate with additional airflow and an improved heatsink. Correlation, maybe?

I do raise an eyebrow when I see people stick these at 144Hz and drive them there for 12-24 hours straight...
If you buy a monitor that is advertised as 144Hz you should be able to use it at 144Hz, period. If the monitor can't do 144Hz all the time then that's a real problem and they should either revise the monitor or change the advertising.

If you buy a monitor that is advertised as 144Hz you should be able to use it at 144Hz, period. If the monitor can't do 144Hz all the time then that's a real problem and they should either revise the monitor or change the advertising.

Exactly. Or what do you also raise eyebrows when people overclock their CPU's and GPU's and then do 12-24 hour long stress tests that push them to their limits to test the overclock, so that they know they can run that ALL THE TIME?

If a monitor has settings then it should be able to accommodate them. That simple.

Anyway all that being said I went back to Fry's and they actually did have a replacement, so I'm deciding to give this monitor one more shot. I went ahead and scanned this one carefully too. This one has one stuck subpixel. In about the same area that I had that one on the last monitor, though this is a different color. I couldn't see it on any background but black, so it's likely a subpixel. Sigh. I kind of wish I could just get a perfect panel, but again whatever. Like I said, me+monitors=fail luck. I'll see how this one goes. I'll also be leaving it in 144Hz mode for extended periods of time (several days) to make sure this one works properly. It seems like that does some kind of good burn-in test on these. Preferably also pixel Overdrive to Extreme, it seems to do even more.

I keep my AC on (ie monitoring the temp) all of the time. It's a pretty new unit (though a very basic temp sensor, which is actually pretty reliable), and I have it set to about 72-73F. Which I think is very reasonable.

i have noticed with my screen, that when leaving the pc alone for awhile, and the screen goes to sleep, once moving the mouse to wakeup the pc, the monitor will display "no signal" for a few seconds, then will display a black screen only(monitor is still turned on and has not gone back to sleep due to no signal)

Unplugging monitor and plugging back in fixes it, or hard resetting the pc also fixes this.

This is at 60hz

Anyone else had this?

Last edited:
Ok, so I'll be taking back what I said earlier about the monitor running hot. Yeah, it puts out alot more heat compared to my previous monitor, but that was not what was causing my room to feel warmer. As a few other posts in this thread has mentioned, running the monitor at 144 Hz will cause your card to idle at higher clock speeds. I believe some people have stated that this only happens with another monitor connected besides the main 144 hz monitor, but I have been getting these high clock speeds with only the ROG Swift connected at 144 hz. If I set it to 120 hz, it will revert to the normal idle clocks.

ROG Swift connected by itself at 144 hz
3NItQ7q.png

ROG Swift connected by itself at 120 hz
wodEQZE.png

I took quick screenshots but the GPU temp can reach as high as 50C+ on idle @ 144 hz. Not to mention the % TDP usage which is extremely high for just idling at 144 hz.

just chiming in here:

my setup:
i7 3770k @ stock
factory OCed Gigabyte GTX680 with 4GB VRAM
primary screen PG278Q
secondary screen Eizo EV2736

i've had the screen since the 25th August, so for a week. been running it at 120Hz in games and desktop mode for several hours every day. secondary EIZO runs at 60Hz (of course).

no problems so far (knock on wood), no flickering, no blur.

games i've tested:
90% of the time - Planetside 2
Skyrim
Guild Wars 2
Diablo 3 (doesn't run with G-Sync)
Firefall
Elder Scrolls Online
Hard Reset
Shadow Warrior

as i said, works like a charm so far, i have no need for 144Hz and since i do have a secondary screen, i want to avoid these high idle clock issues.

going to keep a close eye on it, knock on wood again, it stays as flawless as it is now :)

Last edited:
Exactly. Or what do you also raise eyebrows when people overclock their CPU's and GPU's and then do 12-24 hour long stress tests that push them to their limits to test the overclock, so that they know they can run that ALL THE TIME?

If a monitor has settings then it should be able to accommodate them. That simple.

Anyway all that being said I went back to Fry's and they actually did have a replacement, so I'm deciding to give this monitor one more shot. I went ahead and scanned this one carefully too. This one has one stuck subpixel. In about the same area that I had that one on the last monitor, though this is a different color. I couldn't see it on any background but black, so it's likely a subpixel. Sigh. I kind of wish I could just get a perfect panel, but again whatever. Like I said, me+monitors=fail luck. I'll see how this one goes. I'll also be leaving it in 144Hz mode for extended periods of time (several days) to make sure this one works properly. It seems like that does some kind of good burn-in test on these. Preferably also pixel Overdrive to Extreme, it seems to do even more.

I keep my AC on (ie monitoring the temp) all of the time. It's a pretty new unit (though a very basic temp sensor, which is actually pretty reliable), and I have it set to about 72-73F. Which I think is very reasonable.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted!

I took quick screenshots but the GPU temp can reach as high as 50C+ on idle @ 144 hz. Not to mention the % TDP usage which is extremely high for just idling at 144 hz.

People like myself using the overclocked 'Korean' monitors see a similar issue when running custom detailed resolution settings in an effort to lower the total bandwidth required of the cable and controller. If this isn't just a side effect of the load required to run it at 144hz perhaps ASUS needed to tweak the resolution for the same reason?

Here's what I see idling with SLI 780's.
0mxfzWQ.png

just chiming in here:

my setup:
i7 3770k @ stock
factory OCed Gigabyte GTX680 with 4GB VRAM
primary screen PG278Q
secondary screen Eizo EV2736

i've had the screen since the 25th August, so for a week. been running it at 120Hz in games and desktop mode for several hours every day. secondary EIZO runs at 60Hz (of course).

no problems so far (knock on wood), no flickering, no blur.

games i've tested:
90% of the time - Planetside 2
Skyrim
Guild Wars 2
Diablo 3 (doesn't run with G-Sync)
Firefall
Elder Scrolls Online
Hard Reset
Shadow Warrior

as i said, works like a charm so far, i have no need for 144Hz and since i do have a secondary screen, i want to avoid these high idle clock issues.

going to keep a close eye on it, knock on wood again, it stays as flawless as it is now :)

You been using G-Sync or ULMB?

I'll be interested to see if I get Gsync flicker in 120hz mode when I get back.

I got my Swift in on Friday, and so far haven't had any issues with it whatsoever (hoping I don't jinx myself by saying that :)). I play most games at 144hz, unless they just won't run that high, then I switch it to 120hz. For desktop use I've been using 120hz w/ULMB. I played around with it all through the weekend.

I spent at least a hour each with these games,
Borderlands 2
Grid 2
Dirt Showdown
Far Cry 3
NBA2k14
Batman AO
Crysis 3 (did a full play through of it)

Borderlands 2 was the first game i played around with on it, and at first player movement was just super fast, kind of like the game was in fast forward lol, turned out the game was running over 120fps, and the screen was set to 60hz, so when I hit the switch to 120hz/144hz it was then fine. So far, that's been the only quirk I've had. I will update if I have run into any of the issues others have posted.

Last edited:
I've also had some of the "out of range" issues when switching to 144hz, or just no 144hz option. Sometimes my manual refresh rate button on the monitor will not actually swap the modes, either - it just lists the current 120hz. Unplugging the DP cable from either side, and reconnecting it seems to fix all problems (usually). I'm running a single 770. I'm hopeful that a driver release from Nvidia will fix things up.

Having a monitor turned on for long periods is an average use case. It's not like they're overclocking it, they're using it entirely as designed. It's not questionable at all.

More advice: Don't use 144hz. We know from past experience that 144hz has more software compatibility problems than 120hz
Are you just saying issues with this monitor, or 144Hz in general? Because I've been using my VG278HE for nearly 2 years, running at nothing but 144Hz without issues in Firefox or any game I have played.

Having a monitor turned on for long periods is an average use case. It's not like they're overclocking it, they're using it entirely as designed. It's not questionable at all.
Again, been using nothing but 144Hz on my VG278HE for nearly 2 years. Sometimes I've left my monitor on with my computer for an entire weekend (around 60 hours), and I have had no issues at all.

Not just turned on, but repeatedly cycling through some utility designed to "unstick" pixels or subpixels.

But, you're correct - it should work as advertised, regardless of the specific use case. So, that shouldn't be a concern.

I'll suggest that the CPU analogy that someone posted is a bit off - yes, I have my processor overclocked at all times, but it's not pinned at 100% usage 24/7.

Yeah the issues aren't with the refresh rate of the monitor. They're with G-sync. Ive used a 144hz/120hz monitor without issues for ages. That has never been a problem. Its most likely the Nvidia drivers just not working correctly with some games. I have no idea why but my frames were limiting and i would get flashing menus in about 50 percent of games.

Really strange stuff, especially since the G-Sync addon in the old 24 inch Asus 144hz panel never had these issues reported whatsoever.

Set mine up this weekend.

I upgraded from a BenQ XL2720T.

My god... this monitor was worth the wait. Such a massive upgrade.

G-Sync is the Fu#king truth. AMD is right to be afraid of it. It is almost like going from a mechanical hard drive to a SSD. You'll notice the upgrade, but it really hits you in the face when you try and go back to your old monitor.

My SLI'ed Titans drive it fairly well. G-Sync has helped a ton with performance-sucking beasts like Arma III that I used to have to run with V-Sync off. Most other games run like butter. The drivers aren't perfect as a few games still seem to have issues, but I'm sure NVidia will work that out as time goes by.

The colors on the TN panel aren't quite as good as the 30" IPS I use at work, but are a mile ahead of the BenQ XL2720T I upgraded from.

Definitely a very satisfied customer here!

I cannot wait to play GTA V maxxed out on this thing.

Looks like I won't get mine till the next shipment arrives, oh well.

I did want to give you guys a heads up on a theory for the issues at 144hz though, A while back, when the monitor was announced, people had doubts that Display Port 1.2 had the bandwidth required to keep the monitor going at maximum settings.

Display Port has a theoretical maximum bandwidth of 17.28 Gbits/s (or 2.16GB/s) while the maximum bandwidth required to run this monitor at 2560x1440 at 144fps with a 32bit color depth (not the monitor, the graphics setting) would be 1.98GB/s.

I have no idea as to if it may be hitting the cap, or if the cap is at a comfortable distance (although, if the drivers were stupid and it was sending audio for some dumb reason this would start to cut it very close.)

*for comparison purposes, at 120hz you require 1.65GB/s

EDIT: I just remembered, there maybe some overhead for G-Sync?

Last edited:
Since out of range topic came up I'll mention that my 120hz 27" 1080p samsung monitor has always had this issue. I used to have it on a long run from an amd 6990 along with an ACD 2560x1440. There were both on long, heavy 24awg mini dp extension cables. The 2560x 60hz acd never had any screen blank-blinks, out of range, or out of range on wakeup issues but the 120hz 1080p one did. I kept a short 1' mini dp to dp (the monitor) junction at the extension cable on top of my desk so I could disconnect the 1080 120hz and reconnect it on monitor wakeup. Other than being out of range on monitor wake-up, it very rarely would drop to out of range.

When I switched to a nvidia 780ti , I couldn't even run both of them at the same time (the ACD was on a powered dvi to minidp adapter). Even running the 27" 1080p singly, I would often get screen blank blinks and out of range "constantly".. much, much more often and annoying than amd. I have to suspect that displayport signals or connectors are not that great in general, and that nvidia's displayport signals/outs might be even weaker. At least on my setup comparing the 6990 to the 780ti (on a 25'+ heavy gauge run) - they are very much weaker.

Back