ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Could someone answer this?

Yes it will auto charge unless you cancel before the 30 days. So valid CC is needed on file to sign up.

By the way, the guy who used to work at Nvidia and created FXAA wrote a CRT shader simulator.

This is how it looks when hooked up to work with MAME.

https://436e85e1-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/bigbluefrontend/ehonda.png

MAME + this shader + this monitor = dangerously sexy.

It's really awesome playing games at their native refresh rates in MAME with no stuttering or tearing.

Where can I get that?

For auto-billing/renewal scams, I use a BoA credit card with shop safe. It generates a temporary number linked to your account and allows you to set the dollar limit and expiration date. In the case where someone tries to apply a credit to the temporary number past its due date, the bank automatically applies the credit to your permanent number. Works well for shady and foreign merchants.

Did the Egg own Amazon on this one because they're tight with that Asus rep, whats his name, JJ?

I picked up a Asus Swift yesterday from Fry's and used it for an hour or so and noticed eye fatigue/strain. The monitors brightness was set at 80% from the factory I believe.

I am assuming that what I am experiencing is PWM flicker and that I am sensitive to it. The monitor it replaces, the AsusVG278H, I believe has a very high 2.5khz PWM that did not affect me.

Should I run the monitor at 100% brightness and then lower the brightness via software from the Nvidia control panel? I had read somewhere that running the monitors brightness at 100% would minimize or eliminate PWM.

Any advice is appreciated!

I picked up a Asus Swift yesterday from Fry's and used it for an hour or so and noticed eye fatigue/strain. The monitors brightness was set at 80% from the factory I believe.

I am assuming that what I am experiencing is PWM flicker and that I am sensitive to it. The monitor it replaces, the AsusVG278H, I believe has a very high 2.5khz PWM that did not affect me.

Should I run the monitor at 100% brightness and then lower the brightness via software from the Nvidia control panel? I had read somewhere that running the monitors brightness at 100% would minimize or eliminate PWM.

Any advice is appreciated!

From TFTCentral's review:
This oscilloscope tests confirm that at all brightness settings a Direct Current (DC) method is used for backlight dimming, and Pulse Width Modulation is not used at all. The screen can be classified as flicker free as a result which is great news.

My newegg backorder just went through and I was charged. Shown as "in packaging" now.

... you guys have me hitting refresh on my NewEgg order now.

Also, NewEgg premier is a good program, in my opinion. I appreciate the return window benefits the most.

I had flicker at first but only in games. I 1) removed my dedicated physx card, 2) used TFT central icc & suggested settings, 3) driver cleaned my drivers and re-installed 340.52.

Good Luck

I'll try out their Premier thing for this monitor. Sure, why not.

... Backorder still isn't shipped but whatever. It'll be useful, in the likely future.

Last edited:
ok holy shit. I take back everything I said about Tigerdirect. My monitor just showed up here. They have a terrible customer information system in place, but the monitor is here a day before I expected it in the best case scenario. Time to set it up!

So I have been watching this thread for awhile and have contemplated a few times switching out my 4 Dell 3104 30" monitors for this monitor.

What are everyones thoughts on it?
(based on landscape mode)
On Paper / measuring on my own

Dell 30" monitor has:
Diagonal Viewable Image Size = 29.76" (75.6cm )
Top Bottom = 15.75"
Left Right = 25.375"
Bezel = 1" Thick all around
75.6 cm
29.8 inches (30-inch wide)

Viewable Image Dimensions (H x W)
641.3 mm x 400.8 mm
25.25" x 15.76"

Optimal resolution:
2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz

Aspect ratio:
16:10

Pixel pitch:
0.25 mm

Brightness
:
350 cd/m² (typical), 50 cd/m² (minimum)

Color Support:
Color Gamut (typical): Adobe RGB 99%, sRGB 100% and 120% (CIE 1976)1
Color Depth: 1.07 billion colors

Contrast Ratio:
1000 to 1 (typical), Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 2 Million:1 (Max)

Viewing Angle:
178° vertical / 178° horizontal

Response Time:
6 ms (gray to gray)

Panel type, surface:
AH In-plane switching, anti-glare with hard coat 3H

Backlight Technology:
LED

Display Type:
Widescreen Flat Panel Display

Flat Panel Mount Interface:
VESA

Display Screen Coating:
Antiglare with hard-coating 3H

Adjustability
Height-adjustable stand, tilt, swivel, and built-in cable management, capacitive touch OSD controls
Connectivity
1 Dual Link Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP
1 DisplayPort 1.2 (DP)
1 Mini DisplayPort 1.2 (mDP)
1 High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
1 USB 3.0 upstream port
4 USB 3.0 downstream ports
1 DisplayPort out (MST)
1 Audio out
DC power connector for Dell Soundbar (AX510)

Built-in Devices
USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Hub (with 1 USB upstream port and 4 USB downstream ports)
DC-out
ROG PG278Q [(can anyone confirm this I am using tech specs)
Diagonal Viewable Image size = 26.9" (68.5cm)
Top Bottom = 13.214"
Left Right = 23.49"
Bezel = .23" = 1/2 " when put next to two monitors
ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q Features:
Display Panel Size (diagonal) = 27" (68.5 cm) Wide Screen (16:9)
Display Viewing Area (HxV) = 596.74 x 335.66mm
Panel Backlight / Type
WLED / TN Non-Glare

True Resolution
2D mode : 2560 x 1440 (up to 144Hz)
3D mode : 2560 x 1440 (120Hz or 100Hz)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Pixel Pitch
0.233 mm (109ppi)

Brightness
350 cd/m² (max.), 300 cd/m² (typical)
Contrast Ratio (Max.)
1000:1
Color Saturation
72% NTSC

Viewing Angle
160°(V) / 170°(H)

Response Time
1ms (Gray to Gray)

Input / Output Connectors
DisplayPort 1.2, USB3.0 ports (Upstream x 1, Downstream x 2)

Height Adjustment (mm) =0~120 mm
Tilt (angle) =+20° ~ -5°
Swivel (angle) =+60° ~ -60°
Pivot (angle/direction) = 90°(clockwise)

VESA Wall Mounting (mm) = 100 x 100 mm
Phys. Dimension (WxHxD) = 619.7 x 362.96 x 65.98 mm
Weight = 7.0Kg(Net), 10.5Kg (Gross)

Video Features
NVIDIA G-SYNC Technology
Trace Free Technology
4 Mode Color Temperature Selection
HDCP
3D Technology
NVIDIA 3D Vision 2
GamePlus
Crosshair / Timer
Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB)
Differences:
Dell 30" has 2.86" more diagonal viewing space
Dell has 2.53" more viewable space left to right
Dell has 1.885" more viewable space top bottom
Asus has .23" the Dell is .77" thicker per side. (HUGE difference)
Dell has a Memory Card reader on their hub (I cant find one with the Asus but not many people need it)

The rest are pretty obvious TN vs IPS, Less ghosting on Asus vs more on Dell. Be Great to see comparisons, I have no doubt that the ROG 278Q is better for games than the u3014 in regards to ghosting,. But with that being said I love the 30" and the IPS panel and I am wondering what I give up if I switched all 4 for a WLED / TN panel. Is it worth the price? At this point after spending 4+k on monitors one year later do I gain a lot more? Since I give up my higher 16:10 resolution which I really enjoy.

In Surround I am at 4800 x 2560 movies at 6400 x 2560 With these I would be 4320 x 2560 / 5760 x2560

The Question is what is better? The idea of having 3d as well is very appealing... 3d movies on all 4 monitors. Now that is pretty bad ass

Love to hear your thoughts!

Edit:
The opinion on this is beginning to seem unanimous - what a bummer. What are you running now Vega? I shelved my Dell 4K UP3214Q 4K (literally it's sitting covered on a shelf under my lab bench) and went back to my tried and true HP ZR30W.
BTW, what arm system do you use to drop another monitor in front of your multi-monitor setup? I thought I read somewhere that this is what you do. I'd like to do something similar with the Dell 4K for image editing work - basically have some gaming monitors set up and then be able to bring the Dell down and over them or something like that.
Viewing angles (especially vertical.. which for portrait means horizontal) are so bad.
Don't even bother going portrait. You'll probably be happier running 2 Qnixes or something to that effect off to the side. Like.. you cant even get slightly uncentered when viewing it in portrait mode or its washing out.
The colors and everything on the swift are great. The viewing angles are still TN though.
Reading those two posts it makes it sound like I wouldn't want this since I am set on using portrait mode

Last edited:
Did the Egg own Amazon on this one because they're tight with that Asus rep, whats his name, JJ?
Amazon never gets these high price, hot ticket items as quickly as NE and the others. Same situation for graphics cards. Its most likely because they're not willing to pay the premium on the initial lots or they are so big they are their own distributor and pay for cheaper shipping from the mfgs. Or their tech mgr just isn't on top of this stuff.

So I have been watching this thread for awhile and have contemplated a few times switching out my 4 Dell 3104 30" monitors for this monitor.

What are everyones thoughts on it?
(based on landscape mode)
<snip>

Love to hear your thoughts!

I still recommend using two different monitors - one for desktop/app real-estate , ips color range and uniformity and a different one for games. My preference is two 27" 16:9 monitors as my main ones so that the array lines up nicely. I may "upgrade" my desktop/app dedicated 2560x1440 60hz ips to a 4k ips someday for the added desktop/app real estate though (and perhaps some later year oled). On the gaming end I'll have this rog swift and later the oculus rift headset.

Pixel size is relative to viewing distance. That's why a large (yet sub 80") 1080p tv's pixels don't look huge in your living room.
Your 30" at the same pixel size vs distance to your perspective is not that much bigger than the 27". That is, when you set them at a distance (using ergo monitor arms for example) so that their equal 2560x widths in pixels are the same width to your perspective they aren't as far apart as you might think.. You are still "losing" 80pixel band off both the top and bottom though, but in games (which is what this pg278q monitor blows all other LCD monitors away on spec wise) you are better off using 16:9 even on a 16:10 monitor anyway since games use HOR+ and virtual cinematography where a wider lens will always show more scene in 1st/3rd person.

4k_21x9_2560x-27in-and-30in_1080p_same-ppi.jpg

HOR-plus_scenes-compared

HOR+ (Horizontal Plus) scaling is the most common scaling method for computer games released after 2005. The FOV in height is fixed while the FOV in width is expandable dependent on aspect ratio of the monitor resolution; a wider aspect ratio gives a wider FOV. The FOV is independent of how high the monitor resolution is. For instance the FOV will be the same for 1366x768 and 1920x1080 because both resolutions are 16:9. Any 16:9 resolution will always have wider and bigger field of view than any 16:10 or 4:3 resolution

Personally I would aim for 100fps average (on ultra) on this monitor so for me surround seems way too expensive, even if you turn the settings down a bit for that matter. (There are a few older games that would run at high enough fps though).
I don't mind having a fairly robust enthusiast budget but it already would cost me a second 780ti in addition to this monitor cost just to get 100fps average on most modern games on ultra with a single 2560x1440. A few modern games or those heavily modded run mid to high 60's fps even on dual 780ti (on ultra). There is also the fact that nvidia scales poorly after 2 cards and you need a nvidia card to run g-sync/ulmb (and nv3d if you like that but it has a performance hit too).

Last edited:
Asus has .23" the Dell is .77" thicker per side. (HUGE difference)
This is inaccurate. ASUS is using a creative definition of "bezel" to get their 6mm number. The distance from the screen to the edge of the enclosure is actually much more than 6mm. There are photos here http://www.overclock.net/t/1455299/asus-rog-swift-pg278q-discussion-thread/5820#post_22751037 I'm not sure what the actual Dell distance is from the screen to the edge of the enclosure. They may play the same trick or give the measurement most people would expect. (Distance from screen edge until the plastic ends.)

Hm. Newegg backorder status in my orders page went from "shipping in x-y days" to "shipping in 2-4 weeks".

If they don't ship it out by Saturday I'm going to the nearest Fry's, cancelling my order on Newegg, and also cancelling their "Prime"-style service.

Can someone play Skyrim at in-game night time and report back his impressions?

Isn't it like you can only see 35% of the image displayed due to the gamma shift (poor viewing angles)? Especially when you are not looking exactly straight at the display?
Thanks.

OK just setup mine, and got it calibrated. First thing I did was start up haven and jacked up all the settings because normally its a stutterfest without vsync. Even when it dips to between 30-40fps its butter smooth. This is amazing to me. Although i did notice one odditiy, When it dipped to like 19-20 fps the screen flickered black for a moment. I'll check to see if this is repeatable, but I think its a worst case scenario. I really can't get over how smooth it is.

EDIT nope didn't happen again. Raised the AA to max to force even lower fps and no such issue occured.

Loving this. Even at 20-30fps it still feels smooth compared to what I had before using vsync. Very happy.

Damn, had one in cart before it was gone. Was going to sell my newegg one here if I got the Amazon one. 2-day prime shipping ><

OK just setup mine, and got it calibrated. First thing I did was start up haven and jacked up all the settings because normally its a stutterfest without vsync. Even when it dips to between 30-40fps its butter smooth. This is amazing to me. Although i did notice one odditiy, When it dipped to like 19-20 fps the screen flickered black for a moment. I'll check to see if this is repeatable, but I think its a worst case scenario. I really can't get over how smooth it is.

EDIT nope didn't happen again. Raised the AA to max to force even lower fps and no such issue occured.

Loving this. Even at 20-30fps it still feels smooth compared to what I had before using vsync. Very happy.

Yea I agree G-Sync is really amazing it makes the transition to 1440p gaming way easier for us single card users. I was playing some Civ5 last night and the game felt different in a good way, I'm not sure if there was screen tearing before and I just really didn't notice it, but now games like Civ5, Dota 2, and SC2 have been the biggest differences.

Also somehow I got motion sick on Portal 2, but continued playing and felt fine, not sure if that was g-sync related. But yea games just feel better with G-Sync in every scenario I've tested.

NewEgg has another allotment up for Back Order. Says shipping in 2 to 4 weeks for this batch.

Yeah and they automatically relegated me to that batch, right after I decided to get on their free trial. Good timing, Newegg.

My backorder from yesterday was marked shipped right now. I hope to get it by labor day weekend but my gut tells me I won't see it until tuesday.

My backorder from yesterday was marked shipped right now. I hope to get it by labor day weekend but my gut tells me I won't see it until tuesday.

What part of the country and what shipping method? If you picked saver then yeah it may very well come via ground/freight and not get there til next week. I picked 3-day from CA to DC and it shipped Tuesday, arrived today, so only 2-days after rescheduled early delivery.

What part of the country and what shipping method? If you picked saver then yeah it may very well come via ground/freight and not get there til next week. I picked 3-day from CA to DC and it shipped Tuesday, arrived today, so only 2-days after rescheduled early delivery.

Unfortunately I am in Florida and yeah, picked saver because I was rushing my order to avoid getting pushed out. Was going to change it over the phone today but it went into packaging stage by 9am and was already too late as they charged my card :/

How much was the 3-day shipping?

Unfortunately I am in Florida and yeah, picked saver because I was rushing my order to avoid getting pushed out. Was going to change it over the phone today but it went into packaging stage by 9am and was already too late as they charged my card :/

How much was the 3-day shipping?

$9.79 for 3 day shipping. It was like a $3 difference between the saver and 3 day.

My Newegg back-order was just marked as shipped. I did 3 day shipping because the 2 day was a huge jump in cash (over 40 bucks).

Well that just really pisses me off. If Newegg doesn't get this out by end of week they can go to hell. I mean I know I have bad luck but really? We backordered on the same batch and they just give me the finger right after I started their prime service? Yeah go to hell, Newegg.

I still recommend using two different monitors - one for desktop/app real-estate , ips color range and uniformity and a different one for games. My preference is two 27" 16:9 monitors as my main ones so that the array lines up nicely. I may "upgrade" my desktop/app dedicated 2560x1440 60hz ips to a 4k ips someday for the added desktop/app real estate though (and perhaps some later year oled). On the gaming end I'll have this rog swift and later the oculus rift headset.

Pixel size is relative to viewing distance. That's why a large (yet sub 80") 1080p tv's pixels don't look huge in your living room.
Your 30" at the same pixel size vs distance to your perspective is not that much bigger than the 27". That is, when you set them at a distance (using ergo monitor arms for example) so that their equal 2560x widths in pixels are the same width to your perspective they aren't as far apart as you might think.. You are still "losing" 80pixel band off both the top and bottom though, but in games (which is what this pg278q monitor blows all other LCD monitors away on spec wise) you are better off using 16:9 even on a 16:10 monitor anyway since games use HOR+ and virtual cinematography where a wider lens will always show more scene in 1st/3rd person.

4k_21x9_2560x-27in-and-30in_1080p_same-ppi.jpg

HOR-plus_scenes-compared
Personally I would aim for 100fps average (on ultra) on this monitor so for me surround seems way too expensive, even if you turn the settings down a bit for that matter. (There are a few older games that would run at high enough fps though).
I don't mind having a fairly robust enthusiast budget but it already would cost me a second 780ti in addition to this monitor cost just to get 100fps average on most modern games on ultra with a single 2560x1440. A few modern games or those heavily modded run mid to high 60's fps even on dual 780ti (on ultra). There is also the fact that nvidia scales poorly after 2 cards and you need a nvidia card to run g-sync/ulmb (and nv3d if you like that but it has a performance hit too)
The opinion on this is beginning to seem unanimous - what a bummer. What are you running now Vega? I shelved my Dell 4K UP3214Q 4K (literally it's sitting covered on a shelf under my lab bench) and went back to my tried and true HP ZR30W.

BTW, what arm system do you use to drop another monitor in front of your multi-monitor setup? I thought I read somewhere that this is what you do. I'd like to do something similar with the Dell 4K for image editing work - basically have some gaming monitors set up and then be able to bring the Dell down and over them or something like that.
Thanks did you edit those pictures? Its a good representation of the difference! Monitor dropping I just have one in front then the other monitor is slightly behind it covering the bezel. When done correctly your eyes view it as one entity.
Here are photos of the 30" in Portrait and Landscape, In Landscape the bezel adds 2" per each monitor,
900x900px-LL-ed7ed627_dAW849Z.jpeg

900x900px-LL-70876034_IMG_04851.jpeg
So what I did was setup the monitors in Portrait per Baasha's suggestion I moved one in front of the other making two bezels one(each bezel is 1" thick 25.4mm from the screen to end of the bezel). After 1 week I got used to it, and the viewing angles are great.

I am concerned though with viewing angles on the Asus 27"as I watch movies on the side from a 45 degree angle on my couch. It looks fine with the Dells in portrait even when I have them curved on the sides in as you can see in the photos. With the Asus would I have issues? Take a look at the photos

Gaming wise, I have 3 titans in SLI on a Xeon O/C to 4.6ghz, I am waiting for X99 before I upgrade anything else. The scaling with Titans is massive going to 2 when you go to 3 its about a 15-20% difference. Baasha has Titan Blacks and saw a much larger improvement due to him being in Surround 4k (dont think I could use 24" monitors like he has). Now, if I had more PCIE lanes I believe I would see a greater improvement but gaming wise I am playing Titanfall and a few others and Titanfall just doesnt scale well with SLI as its broken. Meanwhile in Thief I achieve a steady 50-65FPS. Which means I would never get 100+ frames per second even if I could with these monitors. It's possible though due to the resolution being lower, but what am I losing / gaining?

Viewing angles (especially vertical.. which for portrait means horizontal) are so bad.
Don't even bother going portrait. You'll probably be happier running 2 Qnixes or something to that effect off to the side. Like.. you cant even get slightly uncentered when viewing it in portrait mode or its washing out.
The colors and everything on the swift are great. The viewing angles are still TN though.

This is inaccurate. ASUS is using a creative definition of "bezel" to get their 6mm number. The distance from the screen to the edge of the enclosure is actually much more than 6mm. There are photos here http://www.overclock.net/t/1455299/asus-rog-swift-pg278q-discussion-thread/5820#post_22751037 I'm not sure what the actual Dell distance is from the screen to the edge of the enclosure. They may play the same trick or give the measurement most people would expect. (Distance from screen edge until the plastic ends.)

Yeah I measured the Dells from screen to the end of the bezel is exactly 1" thick (25.4mm)

Back