ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

don't get what you are trying to say??

Either way i plan on picking one of these up once i get my 2x 880's, just wondering if i should pick it up now while in stock or wait

I would jump on it while its in stock... i see these things going pretty fast, atleast here in the US.

Even without the 880 you can still take advantage of a 1440p screen at 144hz. (or 120hz with ULMB)

I would jump on it while its in stock... i see these things going pretty fast, atleast here in the US.

Even without the 880 you can still take advantage of a 1440p screen at 144hz. (or 120hz with ULMB)

3770K will run 1440 at 144hz?(don't mean in games obviously)

Yes, ULMB should be far better if you can maintain 120+ FPS. (although there are lower Hz for ULMB too).

It may not be as "apparent" in some games, but once you get used to ULMB strobing, even going back to 144 Hz G-Sync is hard to do. Your brain gets really used to the clarity. Use ULMB for a week straight I bet you won't go back. ;)

In my case I have been waiting for an acceptable lcd based technology to be invented so I can switch over from CRT. With my nice sony finally dead this was invented just in time. Between the ULMB and gsync along with 8bit and 1440p this just passes the minimum requirements for an acceptable display. In that regard what is funny is that I am likely already used to the ULMB b/c I have been playing on crt for all these years lol.

3770K will run 1440 at 144hz?(don't mean in games obviously)

I cant see it not being able to. I suppose it depends on your motherboards I/O... but if you have a DP or dual link DVI cable you should be good to go.

For those that have a Swift and are willing to test it in portrait mode I'd be very happy to hear what you all think. I had my heart set on running 3 in portrait mode for gaming but I'm reading that even with the "superior" TN panel of the Swift that it's probably not a good idea due to viewing angle.

Thanks.

I am likely already used to the ULMB b/c I have been playing on crt for all these years lol.

Indeed, I came from the FW900.

TN panel of the Swift that it's probably not a good idea due to viewing angle.

As someone who has done many TN portrait setups, unfortunately this was pretty much the most annoying aspect. Even worse than the bezels and the horizontal instead of vertical pixels.

As someone who has done many TN portrait setups, unfortunately this was pretty much the most annoying aspect. Even worse than the bezels and the horizontal instead of vertical pixels.

On that note how did you find the color, I am planning on buying an PB278Q to use as a secondary which should be plenty backup for photo editing but how would you say the static image on the swift compares to your old FW900 do you feel that it is just an acceptable replacement or actually a slight upgrade.

The opinion on this is beginning to seem unanimous - what a bummer. What are you running now Vega? I shelved my Dell 4K UP3214Q 4K (literally it's sitting covered on a shelf under my lab bench) and went back to my tried and true HP ZR30W.

BTW, what arm system do you use to drop another monitor in front of your multi-monitor setup? I thought I read somewhere that this is what you do. I'd like to do something similar with the Dell 4K for image editing work - basically have some gaming monitors set up and then be able to bring the Dell down and over them or something like that.

Anyone else on the PCNation preorder boat? Any updates? My status still shows "All Backordered"

For those that have a Swift and are willing to test it in portrait mode I'd be very happy to hear what you all think. I had my heart set on running 3 in portrait mode for gaming but I'm reading that even with the "superior" TN panel of the Swift that it's probably not a good idea due to viewing angle.

Thanks.

Viewing angles (especially vertical.. which for portrait means horizontal) are so bad.

Don't even bother going portrait. You'll probably be happier running 2 Qnixes or something to that effect off to the side. Like.. you cant even get slightly uncentered when viewing it in portrait mode or its washing out.

The colors and everything on the swift are great. The viewing angles are still TN though.

ah well, pulled the trigger while they were in stock here in AUS, 1088 bones, OUCHY, us poor Aussies.

Can the ASUS ROG owners clarify this:

Cutted from the BenQ product page for their new 24" G-Sync model:

NVIDIA’s latest G-SYNC revolution requires monitor manufacturers to replace their scalar with a G-SYNC, trading in the freedom to scale settings like input frame, color hue, intensity and contrast for pure speed and the smoothness of the game. With the best efforts of our R&D champions, we’ve found a way to keep your options open with the world’s first hybrid engine design. So you are always in control of your desired gameplay.

BenQ Proprietary Classic Mode
Tap into Unlimited Potentials of Total Maneuverability

For those in favor of perfect motion gaming that can be tailored to match their gameplay preferences, the Classic Mode offers a wide array of customizable settings, from Motion Blur Reduction to Gaming Refresh Rate Optimization Management (GROM), Black eQualizer, Display Pilot, Smart Scaling, S Switch, and Game Mode Loader. The mode also features BenQ’s exclusive Gaming-comfort Flicker-free Technology and Low Blue Light modes to help protect your eyes from computer-related discomfort. In essence, it’s a total package solution for agile performance, precise control, intuitive user experience and eye comfort. What’s more, with this mode, you can be sure to get the best gaming experience for games unsupported by the G-SYNC Mode.

They have a "Classic mode" and "G-sync mode", appearently the classic mode allows a lot more adjustment. What exactly can't/can be adjusted when the ROG is using g-sync?

Can the ASUS ROG owners clarify this:

Cutted from the BenQ product page for their new 24" G-Sync model:

They have a "Classic mode" and "G-sync mode", appearently the classic mode allows a lot more adjustment. What exactly can't/can be adjusted when the ROG is using g-sync?

On the ROG Swift, you can adjust:

• Brightness
  • Contrast
  • Color Temp. (RGB settings)
  • Overdrive (Response times: Extreme, Normal, OFF)
  • ULMB + pulse width

That's about it as far as adjusting things on the monitor.

Can you run the following in a A-B comparison between ULMB and normal 144 Hz:

http://testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=eiffel.jpg&pps=1440&pursuit=0&height=0

As long as your web browser is working properly running the Hz matched do your desktop (Chrome or IE), the ULMB clarity should be noticeably better.

With max brightness with ULB being around 140 cd isn't it a bit dangerous to run display all the time with strobing as you will be running close to maximum power ?

Sorry if it's stupid question but i never run my monitors above 10% at home :D

Also Vega are you changing triple Eizo setup for triple Swifts ?

ah well, pulled the trigger while they were in stock here in AUS, 1088 bones, OUCHY, us poor Aussies.

Ouch indeed. Oh well, if you can shoehorn it into your budget it should be money well spent and probably the last monitor youll buy for a long time.

bhbmx.jpg

Thanks.

Post from Overclock.net running three in portrait:

900x900px-LL-e8c12fec_IMG_0338.jpeg

Viewing angles look all right to me.

Also Linus has a game running in portrait very briefly in his review and it looks fine there too.

http://youtu.be/XdqTIfNv2DE

Out of a myriad collection of filthy TN panels in the universe this could be a game changer. So please ASUS don't fuck it up with shoddy QA.

Last edited:
I wish Amazon would get these already. I want one so bad but would really prefer to get reward points for such a big purchase.

I wish Amazon would get these already. I want one so bad but would really prefer to get reward points for such a big purchase.

Probably not going to happen. Not to be pessimistic for no reason but I just have a hunch. Amazon proper never did start selling the fg2421. I don't think it was because they were having QC issues, I think it was because Amazon didn't want to pay to shop them around. The only places were likely to get this display offered were going to have to pay shipping.

Probably not going to happen. Not to be pessimistic for no reason but I just have a hunch. Amazon proper never did start selling the fg2421. I don't think it was because they were having QC issues, I think it was because Amazon didn't want to pay to shop them around. The only places were likely to get this display offered were going to have to pay shipping.

I can almost guarantee Amazon will get it. ASUS said it themselves.

The monitor only has display port input, why you would use anything else boggles the mind!

It's like when DVI came out and people used VGA adapters on a DVI/DVID monitor.

The monitor only has display port input, why you would use anything else boggles the mind!

Do we know if it comes with a DP cable? I would assume it does.

I guess I assumed it had DVI and Displayport. Displayport it is.

On that note how did you find the color

The opinion on this is beginning to seem unanimous - what a bummer. What are you running now Vega?

Vega are you going to attempt an AG removal on a swift?

I'm in Afghanistan so I won't be getting a Swift. At home in storage I still have my 3x portrait Eizo setup just in case the Swift didn't turn out that good for when I return. Heck, there might even be a better model by the time I get back in Spring...

I do have a 120Hz screen Laptop over here which works decent. Our OPTEMPO is so slow that I get to play a lot of games and I just installed a home theater in our command post. ;)

Also Linus has a game running in portrait very briefly in his review and it looks fine there too.

Out of a myriad collection of filthy TN panels in the universe this could be a game changer. So please ASUS don't fuck it up with shoddy QA.

Thanks Dcode. Those are definitely 3 Swifts? Can you please send me the link?

Any signs of these things in the wild in Canada yet? I pre-ordered from NCIX, but their product page says this:

"This item is not yet available but you can pre-order this now. We will ship this product shortly after its estimated arrival date of 09/15/2014. The final price is subject to change. You will be charged for this item once the ETA is confirmed by the manufacturer. "

Tempted to try and find it somewhere else rather than wait until Sep 15 or later.

As somebody who personally LOVES portrait configurations the best, I have to say that looks like utter shit!!! I don't know if its a function of a bad picture, the gulf ocean sized bezel gaps or the fact that TN does not hold up well in vertical configs, but that pic looks like absolute dog shit!

As somebody who personally LOVES portrait configurations the best, I have to say that looks like utter shit!!! I don't know if its a function of a bad picture, the gulf ocean sized bezel gaps or the fact that TN does not hold up well in vertical configs, but that pic looks like absolute dog shit!

I find it extremely annoying to use in portrait mode. Not only is it too tall to be useful for anything really but moving the vertical shift of a TN panel to horizontal makes it 10x more apparent. The bezel is kind of an odd choice too considering there are a few non-pixels on the edges so the 6mm bezel is kind of a lie. Maybe the device that makes the panels needs this kind of edges on the panel to do its work.

Despite being a great monitor, I feel that ASUS really just tried to tick some feature boxes by including things like the pivot functionality, LED light in the base and the "GamePlus" crosshair and timer crap. They could've made this just a tad cheaper if they had left out the first two. The GamePlus feature could've been useful if it wasn't so poorly executed.

I just called the Fry's in Plano and the systems said they had an unknown number in stock (item #8237286)

I dropped in and picked up 1 of the 2 that they received =)

It should still be there if anyone lives nearby.

Back