ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

http://rog.asus.com/339252014/gaming-monitors/faq-rog-swift-pg278q-27-inch-g-sync-gaming-monitor/
How do I setup Surround Gaming [for 3x PG278Q in triple monitor setup]?
“My graphics card only has 1 DP: can I convert DVI/HDMI to DP?”

Currently to enable surround [triple monitor] G-Sync you will need 3 GPUs in triple SLI configuration.
DVI-DL does not have the bandwidth to support 2560 x 1440 at 144 Hz.
We do not recommend using an HDMI to DP adapter as this is not qualified or supported in Nvidia drivers.
DP daisy chaining is also not supported – a single WQHD, 144Hz G-Sync monitor needs all the bandwidth available on DP1.2 that a second monitor is not possible.

I'm pretty interested in this monitor despite it being a TN because it is supposedly a full 8 bit panel. What is the verdict on the overall color reproduction and viewing angles?

I'm pretty interested in this monitor despite it being a TN because it is supposedly a full 8 bit panel. What is the verdict on the overall color reproduction and viewing angles?
Viewing angles of a TN are always going to be narrow regardless of the panel quality, which again is simply a limitation of the pixel matrix. But TFT Central seemed pretty impressed with the colour quality and black point considering it is a TN. All they needed to change out of the box was the brightness, as at default settings it was already covering 99% of the sRGB gamut. It's sounding like this is the best TN panel ever made.

So my computer is around 9-10 meters from my display and so far I've been using a DL DVI cable to power my U2713HM, do they even make 10meter displayport cables that work? Or am I SOL?

So my computer is around 9-10 meters from my display and so far I've been using a DL DVI cable to power my U2713HM, do they even make 10meter displayport cables that work? Or am I SOL?
Probably. I believe the max length for DP 1.2 cables to ensure QoS in the spec is 3 metres, but you can get DP cables that are 10 metres or longer. Since this monitor is probably using a lot of bandwidth, there is no guarantee that all of its features will work without issue if the cable is longer than 3 metres.

So this new TN panel, how does it hold up against my S-IPS LG W3000H? I might do an upgrade...

You arent going to run 1440p@144hz on a dp cable longer than 10ft. It cant handle the bandwidth.

I wonder if I should wait for this or order another 27" 1440p gaming LCD, such as the Overlord Tempest X270OC, 27" 120 Hz IPS Gaming Monitor. I'm too scared of the $300-something ones on Ebay by Korean sellers due to QC issues. My lottery history isn't so good. :eek:

I ran two heavy gauge displayport 1.2 extension cables 25' + short tail ends on either end from my amd 6990 to my 60hz 2560x1440 cinema display + my 120hz 1920x1080 samsung A750D. The samsung would drop displayport on monitor wakeup periodically, which was a known issue. I kept the last connector of the ext cable to monitor on the desk so I'd just disconnect and snap it back together manually when I first sat down at my pc. Other than that I had no issues.
Once I moved up to a single 780ti I started having displayport issues/drops/blinks, even if I kept it to a single monitor on the displayport out port on the 780ti, which I was forced to. I could connect either the 2560x1440 or the A750, but not both because one would not light up at all. I had to use a powered displayport to dvi converter for one of them however but I blame the nvidia card output since either would work just not both at once.

I would definitely agree that displayport transmission over distance sucks, especially off nvidia cards. I've been putting off moving my computer to either the utility room behind the wall that is behind my computer chair, or to the workout + wardrobe/closet room above my computer desk where I would run a displayport cable down through the ceiling from above.

I would have to isolate the computer case from errant clothes dryer vent fuzz and dust somehow in the utility room, not to mention dampness/rust.. so I'll probably keep it a floor above in my workout room. It really sucks since I've had a good location for the computer 25' away on the same floor for a long time. There is no way I'm going back to having a computer box at my desk again though. There is no "silent" higher end gaming pc unless that pc is off.. has zero fans (incl psu,radiator fans), zero pumps. PCs also pump out heat and psu pcb stale air, etc., and in some cases coil whine, misc.

10 feet will be the max cable length for this display. I've tried everything.

I've had success with a 15 foot DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable from CableWholesale.com to drive a Dell UP2414Q 3840x2160 @ 60hz. I also tried their miniDP-to-DP 15 footer but it wasn't thick enough so that one didn't work at all.

(eVGA NVIDIA Geforce 670 card)

Viewing angles of a TN are always going to be narrow regardless of the panel quality, which again is simply a limitation of the pixel matrix. But TFT Central seemed pretty impressed with the colour quality and black point considering it is a TN. All they needed to change out of the box was the brightness, as at default settings it was already covering 99% of the sRGB gamut. It's sounding like this is the best TN panel ever made.

I'm pretty interested now. In fact probably going to get one. Of course I do hope the panel lottery isn't going to be a huge problem with this, though. I remember when I was originally looking at 1440p monitors, one of the things that made me go Korean is that regardless of whether it was a 700$ Viewsonic, an 800$ Dell, etc. (this was back when they retailed for that much, nowadays 1440p is cheaper).. it always had panel defects. Backlight bleed, crosshatching, dead/stuck pixels, etc. I ended up returning all of them and just getting a cheapo Korean

I'm really hoping it isn't the case with this panel, but it probably is going to be. The reviewers usually get sent a flawless one (or I have really bad luck with panels). I'm probably not gonna bother with this unless it is from Amazon... and considering ASUS RMA, it practically might as well not have a warranty... just things to consider.

I'm pretty interested now. In fact probably going to get one. Of course I do hope the panel lottery isn't going to be a huge problem with this, though. I remember when I was originally looking at 1440p monitors, one of the things that made me go Korean is that regardless of whether it was a 700$ Viewsonic, an 800$ Dell, etc. (this was back when they retailed for that much, nowadays 1440p is cheaper).. it always had panel defects. Backlight bleed, crosshatching, dead/stuck pixels, etc. I ended up returning all of them and just getting a cheapo Korean

I'm really hoping it isn't the case with this panel, but it probably is going to be. The reviewers usually get sent a flawless one (or I have really bad luck with panels). I'm probably not gonna bother with this unless it is from Amazon... and considering ASUS RMA, it practically might as well not have a warranty... just things to consider.
Worst thing about it may be screen uniformity. But I have never had any issues with ASUS monitors beyond that in the past. My VH242H was damn near perfect except for some uneven brightness in the corners that I only noticed when I was looking for it. Same with my VG278HE. I would hope that a little better QC comes with the ROG branding and the premium price you have to pay. But as you said, price doesn't matter in that regard... Based on my own personal experience, though, I wouldn't worry about it.

Eh, actually I tried a PB278Q that I got from Microcenter. Out of all of the brands I tried out I guess it was actually closest to perfect, but it had a dead/stuck pixel in the lower left hand corner. Technically it wasn't a big deal, but considering that back then they were like 600$+, it kind of was. We'll see how this one turns out when I get it after it's released I guess.

Anyone know if they're releasing one without G-SYNC? I really hate how you can't use it in full-screen mode. Plus it'll subtract 200 from the MSRP.

i guess its mainly used so you can still go to your second monitor without alt tabbing

"Trend"? That's been standard for decades. Full screen in a bordered window is the aberration, not the norm.
I think he's confusing borderless windowed and full screen. A window the same size as the desktop isn't a "full screen mode".

It's my sincere hope that the borderless fullscreen trend dies.

It has it's place. A lot of games, especially during multi-monitor only work properly in windowed mode. One caveat to widowed mode is that SLI and Cross-fire do not work, so it's best to have one really powerful GPU. Of course one GPU also has a lot of positives, lowest input lag, lowest cost (unless you go with really cheap multi-gpu's), least amount of headaches (ie no profiles to get things to simply work), less power use, less heat, etc etc.

Here's their official press release.

http://rog.asus.com/340122014/gamin...gamers-announces-swift-pg278q-gaming-monitor/

AVAILABILITY & PRICING
ROG Swift PG278Q Ultimate Gaming Monitor is now available in Taiwan, as well as the Asia Pacific and European markets. It will be available in China in mid-August and North America by end of August, 2014. Prices start from US$799 and will vary by region. Please contact your local ASUS representative for further information.

They really are pushing the time to the furthest they can aren't they?

i guess its mainly used so you can still go to your second monitor without alt tabbing

Or actually use your secondary monitor without alt tabbing. Currently games like Natural Selection 2 will black out your secondary monitor when in fullscreen mode sending you back to the stone age or forcing you to have an entire secondary computer to display information on that you want visible at all times.

Or actually use your secondary monitor without alt tabbing. Currently games like Natural Selection 2 will black out your secondary monitor when in fullscreen mode sending you back to the stone age or forcing you to have an entire secondary computer to display information on that you want visible at all times.

thats what i meant, use it

I'm probably going to look into a displayport 1.2 switch~kvm for this reason. The primary PG278Q can be solo on my expensive gpu rig and I can switch my 2560x1440 60hz ips monitor and side portrait panels to a secondary pc. My desk already has a different keyboard and mouse in front of each 27" 16:9 monitor as it is now anyway. I'd keep both computers separate without a switch but I like the oc'd cpu power, ram, gpu power and ssd on my gaming rig for desktop/apps too on the ips side of the desk so to speak - though with this PG278Q's rez, it wouldn't have to be out of the loop as only a gaming monitor facet of the desk so much anymore and would become a lot more useful for app real-estate extension.

The 60hz monitors switched to a secondary computer (my old pc) would be less powerful but still very useful for most things I would otherwise multitask or leave open while gaming, more so in some cases even since I wouldn't normally task my gaming rig overly during game sessions other than the game itself and could do more demanding processes on a separate pc.

The displayport 1.2 switch/kvm idea might be too clunky to swap back and forth cleanly however, even using displayfusion pro and/or saved nvidia profiles, hotkeys, etc. I'd have to try it out. I'd be keeping the PG278Q off whatever kvm switch hardware though and always primary, switching the 60hz monitors back and forth.

I was used to the full screen requirement on my 6990 since using windowed mode would drop a gpu on the dual gpu card so this isn't something I haven't been considering for a long time.

Last edited:
Yeah... I'm probably going to wait for the Benq version or just wait for my Catleap to run out of lives. :D

This took so long that I spent myself into oblivion and can no longer afford it.

I'm probably going to look into a displayport 1.2 switch~kvm for this reason. The primary PG278Q can be solo on my expensive gpu rig and I can switch my 2560x1440 60hz ips monitor and side portrait panels to a secondary pc. My desk already has a different keyboard and mouse in front of each 27" 16:9 monitor as it is now anyway. I'd keep both computers separate without a switch but I like the oc'd cpu power, ram, gpu power and ssd on my gaming rig for desktop/apps too on the ips side of the desk so to speak - though with this PG278Q's rez, it wouldn't have to be out of the loop as only a gaming monitor facet of the desk so much anymore and would become a lot more useful for app real-estate extension.

The 60hz monitors switched to a secondary computer (my old pc) would be less powerful but still very useful for most things I would otherwise multitask or leave open while gaming, more so in some cases even since I wouldn't normally task my gaming rig overly during game sessions other than the game itself and could do more demanding processes on a separate pc.

The displayport 1.2 switch/kvm idea might be too clunky to swap back and forth cleanly however, even using displayfusion pro and/or saved nvidia profiles, hotkeys, etc. I'd have to try it out. I'd be keeping the PG278Q off whatever kvm switch hardware though and always primary, switching the 60hz monitors back and forth.

I was used to the full screen requirement on my 6990 since using windowed mode would drop a gpu on the dual gpu card so this isn't something I haven't been considering for a long time.

I was thinking maybe you could actually stream the secondary monitor video over a lan to the secondary to display it. This may let you bypass the fact that it is not actually being displayed but maybe the data is still being rendered.

what? you cant use GSYNC in full screen mode??

Oh sorry, was typing on my phone at work. My mistake, yes as others have said, I meant Borderless-Windowed mode.

You can't use G-SYNC unless it's in full screen mode which makes ULMB feature much better IMO.

Also, the more powerful your PC, the lesser the effects of G-SYNC becomes noticeable.

At consistently higher frame rates as you get nearer to 144 fps the benefits of G-sync are not as great, but still apparent. There will be a gradual transition period for each user where the benefits of using G-sync decrease, and it may instead be better to use the ULMB feature discussed in the following section which is not available when using G-sync.

Anyway, my question remained unanswered. Maybe I'm alone but I really feel like this lowers the incentive of buying this monitor since you can buy the module separately. Does anyone know if they're releasing one without G-SYNC?

You won't be getting anywhere close to 144 fps in games like Watchdogs any time soon especially at 1440p.

Even if you do quad Titans CPU bottlenecks will make it impossible.

I think he's confusing borderless windowed and full screen. A window the same size as the desktop isn't a "full screen mode".

I'm not confusing a thing. I'm saying that borderless fullscreen windowed gaming is a kludge.

It has it's place. A lot of games, especially during multi-monitor only work properly in windowed mode. One caveat to widowed mode is that SLI and Cross-fire do not work, so it's best to have one really powerful GPU. Of course one GPU also has a lot of positives, lowest input lag, lowest cost (unless you go with really cheap multi-gpu's), least amount of headaches (ie no profiles to get things to simply work), less power use, less heat, etc etc.

OK, I'll buy some of that. Then again, I'm usually with a multi-GPU setup.

These days, I make use of the integrated (Intel) GPU alongside my primary GPUs to facilitate my multi-monitor fix.

Well maybe with them being available in the rest of the world, we'll get some more reviews and info of how it actually performs. I was really wanting to grab up one of these monitors when I first saw them. The hype has died down now though, and I'm questioning if I want to drop $800 on it.

I saw Bluesun311 mention a Benq monitor that may be similar to this one, anyone have any info on that monitor? Maybe when some competition comes out it might cut that price tag a bit. I could probably wait a little while longer for that.....

Back