ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Does G-Sync help for the microstutter that seems to be the bane of SLI? Thinking of getting this display and another GTX 770.

When I used regular SLI I would rarely get microstutters. I think they fixed that a long time ago, or it only happens in games I don't play. So far I've tried Tomb Raider and Smite with SLI GSYNC and I rarely dip below 144 fps, and when I do I can't even tell.

I'm using 2x 770s myself. For the Tomb Raider benchmark it boosted the minimum FPS from 105 to 140.

When I used regular SLI I would rarely get microstutters. I think they fixed that a long time ago, or it only happens in games I don't play. So far I've tried Tomb Raider and Smite with SLI GSYNC and I rarely dip below 144 fps, and when I do I can't even tell.

I'm using 2x 770s myself. For the Tomb Raider benchmark it boosted the minimum FPS from 105 to 140.

Thanks! Might see if I can find another 770 used locally.

if you have the 2gb model I think you are wasting your time and money, because it wont be enough to run 1440p.

I disagree, I've been running many games just fine with a single 2GB 770 at 1440p. That said, I'm not a huge user of AA in general, I usually leave it at FXAA or similar low level one.

I disagree, I've been running many games just fine with a single 2GB 770 at 1440p. That said, I'm not a huge user of AA in general, I usually leave it at FXAA or similar low level one.

good luck running the next COD at 1440p, it is said that the new engine on consoles which runs only in 1080p is using close to 4gb vram.

just because you were fine with ps3 and xbox 360 ports don't think you will get away with these next-gen engines that use up a lot of vram.

An interesting thread here that I linked below. Note that the thread is about showing an extreme case of Low graphics settings on different games, where most people could get by with medium, high, or even "high +" settings on some games, and who would get an overabundance of frames on source engine games, etc. on ultra/max. Also note that "Low" setting on more modern games is a lot higher visually since the base requirements/range is higher than the older of the game screenshots in the thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478074

The ultra graphics ceiling is an arbitrary max set by devs. It could easily be magnitudes higher. Their challenge is whittling a game down to "fit" real time, not the other way around. Then there are mods and texture packs that make the original "ultra" on some games more demanding, which again shows that the "ceiling" is arbitrary.
Without an unlimited gpu budget even robust enthusiast gpu budgets without going to extreme gpu budgets might have to find the sweet spot if they want to prioritize higher fps. Personally I want to shoot for 100fps or so average on more demanding modern games once I get dual 800 series gpus that I plan to get later on. hopefully at "high +" custom settings to ultra/"ultra -". Otherwise (and in the meantime) I have a lot of games in my steam library that would run at high fps.

Last edited:
Does G-Sync help for the microstutter that seems to be the bane of SLI? Thinking of getting this display and another GTX 770.
Theoretically, no. G-Sync only actively mitigates stuttering on the display side, but doesn't actively mitigate stuttering further up the chain.

That said, getting the actual display delivery off its isochrony might actually help reduce the appearance of microstutter. The effects of non-isochronous displays probably aren't as well-defined as they could be. Additionally, NVIDIA has a good frame pacing solution now, and SLI isn't nearly the ill-advised thing it used to be from that perspective. I'd first consider moving to a single 780 Ti, but you probably won't be unhappy with SLI.

Pro IPS people always mention TN's color shift, but never mention IPS glow. Something that is a huge nuisance and just as annoying. IPS's really only strong characteristic is colors/viewing angles and is overall over-rated. I'd take VA's blacks and contrast and no IPS glow any day. If Eizo made a 27" 2560x1440 FG2421 with Turbo240 strobing, would easily be the #1 monitor. Since that doesn't exist, the Swift will be #1 for quite a while in the gaming world.

IPS glow is terrible and I hate it, but there are monitors like the Eizo EV2736W where Glow is almost imperceptible.
But I love more the black depths of a VA panel, I would have definitely bought the Benq BL3200pt if it had been a little more responsive.
IMy problem is that I am a "videophile" an "audiophile" and a "gamer", I want the best audio/video quality in movies, music and games, but I know it's difficult to have everything.
But for a display like the EV2736W, with almost native 96hz (I don't pretend 120/144hz) and an input lag lower than 6ms (Gsync is welcome but not vital), I could sell a kidney. ;)

Maybe I need to wait OLED monitors to have what i wish.

I know it is [strike=]difficult[/s] impossible to have everything (in one flat panel monitor currently).

all about the tradeoffs as it has been for years. At least now there are techs addressing visible frame rate ceiling/hz increase, blur reduction or elimination, judder/tearing without having to use vsync, as well as including all of these above 1920x resolution.

I watch movies on my VA tv with surround sound which is far more suitable than my pc monitor.

I have a 2560x ips for desktop/apps/still imagery, and a 120hz fast response time monitor for games.

It will still be quite awhile yet before we will see high hz input, gsync/dynamic hz + backlight strobing oled monitors.

For gaming - we will see the oculus rift which uses oled screens at 90hz (maybe even 100hz), with some sort of low persistence/blur elimination tech. They are at 1080p now but might hit 1440p eventually. You might watch a movie on a rift once in awhile but I doubt you are going to do much desktop stuff on one so there will still be tradeoffs.

Last edited:
IPS glow is terrible and I hate it, but there are monitors like the Eizo EV2736W where Glow is almost imperceptible.
But I love more the black depths of a VA panel, I would have definitely bought the Benq BL3200pt if it had been a little more responsive.
IMy problem is that I am a "videophile" an "audiophile" and a "gamer", I want the best audio/video quality in movies, music and games, but I know it's difficult to have everything.
But for a display like the EV2736W, with almost native 96hz (I don't pretend 120/144hz) and an input lag lower than 6ms (Gsync is welcome but not vital), I could sell a kidney. ;)

Curious what difference a native 96hz display would show over an overclocked panel other than not having to mess with patches, because the qx2710 often comes out just as nice as those ev2736 displays. No glow, varying levels of bleed. Some better than others. I sold my glow free Qnix quick on eBay and the new owner described it as "absolutely perfect".

I can't believe I let ASUS yo-yo me with this display for 5 months.. and here I am still waiting for it. I remember back in late march I was expecting pre-orders to be up because JJ at PCDIY said end of Q1/early Q2.

I just want to be able to pre order it (USA). Even if they are going to perpetually keep this in 2 week limbo until the universe collapses upon itself.

Did this thing get pushed back again now? Release date the 7th of Never?

Yes let's make sure we adhere closely to the current topic of WHERES MA MONITOR?

Or the endless bitching and moaning about how its overpriced for a TN. God forbid you skew away from those exciting topics and for fucks sakes you better not even think about lightening the mood with some humour cause the noob police will sick the man on you!

I just want to be able to pre order it (USA). Even if they are going to perpetually keep this in 2 week limbo until the universe collapses upon itself.

I think the 34UM95 fiasco showed that preordering is useless

Ya, surprisingly Amazon has been a big flop with a lot of high-demand cutting edge tech the last couple of years.

Frankly, I don't understand why ASUS didn't take pre-orders directly and ship from Taiwan or China. That's how Apple and Lenovo does it: take orders online, then ship them individually via UPS or FedEx.

Frankly, I don't understand why ASUS didn't take pre-orders directly and ship from Taiwan or China. That's how Apple and Lenovo does it: take orders online, then ship them individually via UPS or FedEx.

Because they can't fill them and they don't want to get chargebacks.

Because they can't fill them and they don't want to get chargebacks.

Baloney, I don't believe that. The Swift is a hardcore gaming product that has been marketed to use for almost EIGHT months. Asus knows that their customer base is chomping at the bits for this thing and they tried to save a buck with cheap shipping. Looks like were gonna get our swifts with a heavy dose of fukushima too :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/japano_zpsb0715e37.jpg

Last edited:

Where did you learn it was 96hz?

Phew! I found a reason not to spend my hard-earned money. Apparently gsync only works in (non-windowed) fullscreen mode. Alt-tabbing as much as I do, that's a dealbreaker for me.

Honestly, as a user that loves fast PC's and the ultimate motion clarity I am really only interested in ULMB mode. Having said that and TFTCentral hinted at it, the brightness levels under ULMB are woeful.

You would definitely have to treat this screen like a projector. Some comparisons with IMO the only other "gaming" monitor worth anything out there, the Eizo FG2421.

Ok, so the Swift at 100% brightness and a ULMB pulse duration of 1.9ms (brightest) has a luminescence of 123cd/m2, black point of .014cd/m2 and a contrast of 876:1.

It's motion clarity should be just slightly better than the Eizo as the Eizo has a pulse duration of ~2.3ms. But with that comparison, look at the rest of the Eizo stats:

Turbo240-On, luminescence of 258cd/m2, black point of .06cd/m2 and a contrast of 4290:1. So it's over twice as bright and the image quality just hammering the Swift.

I got very excited when I first saw the chart of the pulse duration of .25, .5, .875. Those would provide EPIC motion clarity results. Until I looked down at the next chart and saw the associated brightness levels.

You may be able to squeeze by in a pitch black room gaming at 50% and 62cd/m2, but for most users that will be too dark. 75% at 92cd/m2 is about the reasonable minimum for a dark room (that produces a very similar result to 10% Lightboost from the VG248QE and it's associated 1.4ms strobe length Lightboost). In a light controlled room at night, the 100% brightness of 123cd/m2 will most likely be the mode used by those who prefer ULMB mode over G-Sync.

Now using the monitor during the daylight even with the blinds closed in most peoples rooms I think will be quite difficult for gaming under that luminescence level. Even at 258 cd/m2 of the Eizo (over twice the brightness), it appears just enough.

To summarize my thoughts: the epic pulse duration settings for motion clarity are too dim to use. At max brightness, the screen in ULMB can be used during the night and in a light controlled room, but won't be adequate during the daytime for competitive gaming even in a light controlled room. That is, unless someone goes hog wild and blocks virtually all outside light.

Also, not sure how Asus plans to allow people to use 3D with this thing. Since those shutter glasses block out half the light from the eyes, we are talking a max of around 60cd/m2 during 3D. Can only be used in pitch darkness really, and will still be fairly dark image.

Yes, the Eizo isn't the fastest on input lag, but I'd like to know the input lag of the Swift in 120 Hz ULMB mode to really compare. This monitor seems to shine more in the role of G-Sync versus ULMB IMO.

^^ With the continued caveat of: "If you win the Eizo panel roulette" on the FG2421.

I finally found a way to enjoy my Swift's epic .25ms strobe motion clarity:

Screen-Privacy-Hood.jpg

Back