ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

The Swifts TARGET audience is the GAMER.

That doesn't really answer my question. I wanted to know whether the Swift as sole display would be the best choice or adding a 1080p display w/ G-Sync next to my 30" purely for gaming would be the better idea, when I am unlikely to have enough GPU horsepower to run any newer games anything close to 120 fps.

I'm interested to know how the Swift would perform when you have FPS at 30-60 area most of the time. Sure the G-Sync and ULMB would do good but would I receive no benefit from the 144Hz stuff?

That doesn't really answer my question. I wanted to know whether the Swift as sole display would be the best choice or adding a 1080p display w/ G-Sync next to my 30" purely for gaming would be the better idea, when I am unlikely to have enough GPU horsepower to run any newer games anything close to 120 fps.

I'm interested to know how the Swift would perform when you have FPS at 30-60 area most of the time. Sure the G-Sync and ULMB would do good but would I receive no benefit from the 144Hz stuff?

When you actually WITNESS a mouse cursor on your screen with 144hz then you will see the benefit. I was RUINED after setting up an asus vg248qe with a diy g-sync kit. RUINED. Just the high refresh alone was incredible. its difficult to go back to 60hz

I'm holding out for a 24" version I know BENQ is making one but it's 1080P from what I know.....

After watching these reviews, I noticed no-one has mentioned the ULMB mode that was offered in the g-sync upgrade kit. Has anyone heard if that feature was removed, or maybe they aren't allowed to talk about it yet?

When you actually WITNESS a mouse cursor on your screen with 144hz then you will see the benefit. I was RUINED after setting up an asus vg248qe with a diy g-sync kit. RUINED. Just the high refresh alone was incredible. its difficult to go back to 60hz

I agree and will never go back to low (60hz) on 1st/3rd person gaming.

The mouse on the desktop the easiest comparison since the desktop always runs at very high fps. You are seeing 2x or more mouse cursor "slices" per second and per motion path length (vs 60fps+ 60hz desktop, even more definition vs lower than 60fps gaming though for example). It's also obvious on window movement/dragging. I have a 60hz monitor on each side of my 120hz one and can see the difference dramatically.

Consider that in a game you are not only seeing that many more slices of individual object travel paths/pathing, but of the entire viewport/game world moving (including "static" game environs~architecture/geometry/objects, high detail textures and shaders, shader fx, etc.) during your continual movement keying and mouse-look pathing. In addition to that, you are seeing more frames of individual object and FX animations per second (their animation cycles as differentiated from their movement paths). Some of these benefits are only gained appreciably when you are at 100fps+ though.

In addition to that, 120hz combined with 1ms response time reduces the FoV movement blur during your continual movement keying and mouse-look flow pathing (as well as of individual object movements in static or dynamic FoV) in 1st/3rd person games by 50%, by 60% at 144hz. and ulmb mode / backlight strobing essentially eliminates motion blur. The resolution on a 60hz screen during FoV movement can't even be defined as a solid grid resolution. You don't play a screen shot. At 120hz w/o backlight strobing you get more of a heavy soften blur more within the "shadow mask" of onscreen objects and game world architecture/geography (basically the screen goes "fuzzy" during continual/repeated FoV movement pathing instead of smearing horribly).

G-sync dynamic hz option alternately allows for judder/tearing elimination when you can't maintain higher fps (fps "roller coaster" graphs) .. w/o having to use v-sync and fps limitations, while still getting the 120hz-144hz's increased motion articulation + motion&animation definition (moreso at 90-100fps+ periods in a fps graph if possible on a given game), and blur reduction(but not backlight strobing's blur elimination) benefits.

The oculus rift btw is also shooting for 90hz (to 100hz if possible) with low persistence/blur elimination tech of some sort, which is great since I thought low hz and blur was going to be a huge tradeoff when I first started reading about the rift earlier on. They consider high hz and blur elimination essential/fundamental to VR.

Some people are dismissive of the increased motion&animation definition + blur reduction/elimination benefits as purely only benefitting "twitch gaming" gameplay advantage seekers. I strongly disagree. All the aforementioned advantages have immensely aesthetic benefits. As I said before, you don't play a screenshot.

Regurgitating some relevant links:

web-cyb.org 120hz-fps-compared

evga forums:GTX 780Ti Benchmarks 1x-4x SLI (Work in Progress)

web-cyb.org: 4k_21x9_2560x-27in-and-30in_1080p_same-ppi.jpg

Last edited:
After watching these reviews, I noticed no-one has mentioned the ULMB mode that was offered in the g-sync upgrade kit. Has anyone heard if that feature was removed, or maybe they aren't allowed to talk about it yet?

I've been concerned about this for quite some time - since the first video reviews/previews showed up. I asked about it twice on the youtube video replies with no replies back. Blurbusters site (markR) seemed dismissive about the idea of it not being included but I am still concerned until I see it reported for a fact.

I've been concerned about this for quite some time - since the first video reviews/previews showed up. I asked about it twice on the youtube video replies with no replies back. Blurbusters site (markR) seemed dismissive about the idea of it not being included but I am still concerned until I see it reported for a fact.

If it doesn't have ULMB mode, I won't be buying it. I don't run at low/variable FPS numbers that G-Sync would actually be worth it.

It would be worth it to me as a monitor - but a $800 one?.

For most of us it is the only reasonable way to get 120hz-144hz at 1ms motion articulation + blur reduction at higher than 1920x1080 (without having to suffer bezels and much greater resolution demands, triple nvidia cards in some cases?), and g-sync will be very beneficial for most people as well, (even robust enthusiast gpu budgets without going completely extreme). When I do dual 800's I might get by without g-sync, using ulmb mode on some more demanding games even if I have to tweak settings to "high+" (high "plus") rather than the arbitrarily set by devs "ultra" graphics ceilings. That would be in order to have 100-120fps average though, not minimum. However I also have a lot of games in my steam library that would run well over 120fps even on my single 780ti currently (I think even skyrim with 2k textures runs around 108fps ave). Average still fluctuates though, so g-sync might be better for some people even then depending on the actual fps graph of a given game/settings.

The already very high price would definitely seem a lot higher were there no ulmb mode. I could definitely use ulmb in TF2, L4D2 and even many other games more modern than those in my steam library (yet not the most demanding/modern ones of course), and going forward through gpu upgrades that cutoff would change.

Last edited:
Remember, the poster "Xinux", who saw the display at Dreamhack noticed that ULMB mode was greyed out on the OSD. Implying that it does in fact have the feature, at least on that floor model (I don't think there is any reason to doubt that it would not be available on the retail model) The option was greyed out most likely because the display was in G-sync mode.

Didn't Asus confim that 3D was working with the swift? That would imply that there is a strobing backlight mode. Weather you can just turn it on with the flick of the switch or try and "hack" it like previous Lightboost is what's to be seen. (Until NVIDIA purposely disabled the hack in drivers).

Didn't Asus confim that 3D was working with the swift? That would imply that there is a strobing backlight mode. Weather you can just turn it on with the flick of the switch or try and "hack" it like previous Lightboost is what's to be seen. (Until NVIDIA purposely disabled the hack in drivers).

Yes JJ confirmed 3D @2560x1440

That one is from last week. There hasn't been an actual review yet, just a couple of previews/first impressions.

Maybe it got updated, as they tested the screen performance with an Asus ROG 780 Ti. It took fricken' forever to get to that part though.

Looks like it is a great TN panel from that review, I'm impressed that they got 1000:1 contrast ratio out of the thing.

These reviews have been useless. Nvidia and Asus better do a better sales job.

He doesn't touch the OSD or the driver software. Basically all we learned is that he's "massively" impressed by the quality of the TN panel. And the stand is good.

Don't forget the fact that he completely ignored trying out 3D :mad:

Seriously, What the heck are these clowns getting review samples for if they are not competent enough to review them properly? Asus should send a few samples out to top tier forum sluts like Vega, ToastyX (or myself :D ) to try.

We already know UMLB will work with Nvidia cards as it has been heavily advertised as a feature. I really want to know if UMLB mode can be hacked for AMD R9 290x cards because I am too lazy to swap out my gaming pcs watercooled 290x with the titan gtx thats wasting away in my HTPC.

Last edited:
Reviews without color accuracy and input lag measurements, or movies/pics that really shows Viewing Angles are useless like an advertisement.

Reviews without color accuracy and input lag measurements, or movies/pics that really shows Viewing Angles are useless like an advertisement.

I agree that they are practically useless advertisements, but I want to see things like:

pursuit camera blur testing
the ufo and text tests
color saturation impressions vs some of the pale tn's of late (even without extreme color accuracy testing)
input lag testing (separately for each of the different modes and scenarios)
---- all of the above tested in 120hz-144hz, g-sync, and ulmb modes separately and with separate results reported.

I'm very interested in the color saturation/vibrance in 120hz-144mode alone and vs ulmb mode, finally g-sync mode impressions at higher hz ranges (80 - 120+fps) vs medium to lower (40 - 75 fps) in games of different gpu demand.

We know this is a dedicated gaming monitor. It isn't a VA or plasma TV panel for movies with more advanced/extreme black-levels and detail in blacks. In the same vein it is for direct viewing of a single player, not a room wide audience/angles. It also doesn't require extremely high and absolute uniform color accuracy - but lush, vibrant color would be much appreciated (like my samsung A750D 120hz TN has.. I couldn't stand a pale panel). I can use a high rez ips for all of the other tradeoffs, and my VA tv + 7.1 surround system for movies. To me this monitor is about gaming motion.

Seriously, What the heck are these clowns getting review samples for if they are not competent enough to review them properly? Asus should send a few samples out to top tier forum sluts like Vega, ToastyX (or myself :D ) to try.

Or at least send 50 to RatedRR and see how many monitors a round from a M82 would go through.

I'd love to test the ULMB mode and take some comparison pictures of the viewing angles and glow vs. my glow free Qnix :) Or maybe I will play Two Worlds from 2007 again...on my Xbox 360 even though I own the PC version as well.

realistically, the marketing people in charge of giving out samples don't spend enough time in the community to know who is influential and knowledgeable. they could ask their own community members (like gary), but people in different disciplines rarely appreciate each other. the marketing types would never even consider asking the community support types for advice. even though it seems intuitive to us that you'd want to ask the people who know your audience best.

realistically, the marketing people in charge of giving out samples don't spend enough time in the community to know who is influential and knowledgeable. they could ask their own community members (like gary), but people in different disciplines rarely appreciate each other. the marketing types would never even consider asking the community support types for advice. even though it seems intuitive to us that you'd want to ask the people who know your audience best.

A very similar "community" oriented and equally uninformed "input" gathering operation had commenced when the eggheads and moneychangers were presented with the choice of matte or glossy.

I agree that they are practically useless advertisements, but I want to see things like:

pursuit camera blur testing
the ufo and text tests
color saturation impressions vs some of the pale tn's of late (even without extreme color accuracy testing)
input lag testing (separately for each of the different modes and scenarios)
---- all of the above tested in 120hz-144hz, g-sync, and ulmb modes separately and with separate results reported.

I'm very interested in the color saturation/vibrance in 120hz-144mode alone and vs ulmb mode, finally g-sync mode impressions at higher hz ranges (80 - 120+fps) vs medium to lower (40 - 75 fps) in games of different gpu demand.

We know this is a dedicated gaming monitor. It isn't a VA or plasma TV panel for movies with more advanced/extreme black-levels and detail in blacks. In the same vein it is for direct viewing of a single player, not a room wide audience/angles. It also doesn't require extremely high and absolute uniform color accuracy - but lush, vibrant color would be much appreciated (like my samsung A750D 120hz TN has.. I couldn't stand a pale panel). I can use a high rez ips for all of the other tradeoffs, and my VA tv + 7.1 surround system for movies. To me this monitor is about gaming motion.

I totally agree, any monitor review should test everything.

I do a lot of things with my monitor, I can't have a Plasma TV for watch movies, an IPS monitor to work with images, and a fast TN display to play games.
Before to buy a display, I would like to know everything about them, and chose the best compromise.

A very similar "community" oriented and equally uninformed "input" gathering operation had commenced when the eggheads and moneychangers were presented with the choice of matte or glossy.

the choice of matte is the right one for the good of the many. matte works fine in dark and bright rooms. glossy doesn't work well in bright rooms

Well you aren't wrong glossy only looks good in dark room while matte looks like shit in every lightning condition.

So what are everyone's plans to preorder it in north america before everyone else preorders it and supplies run out? :)

This is an extreme example with the glare being the camera flash of whoever took this pic, but it shows how matte/AG screens still get light pollution from direct light sources:
lcd-glare_ag-vs-glossy.jpg

That isn't my pic, but I did own that same monitor on the left at one point.

The problem with glossy is most people put their desk up against a wall like a bookshelf, with all direct light sources behind the monitor and your back (including windows), a setup which acts like a catcher's mitt or funnel for direct light pollution, or they use the monitor in a room with overhead lighting (like fluorescent or track lighting strips). For a gaming "theatre" and/or graphic/photo design studio you really shouldn't be polluting your panel with direct light no matter what. Not only does it make a direct screen pale spot or diffused area on matte and AG - allowing lighting levels to swing considerably at all in a room from day to night will completely throw off the way your eyes and brain perceive contrast, brightness, and saturation. Those perfect hardware calibrations usually done in a dark room with hardware right up against the panel make a good baseline but once you change the lighting conditions they get thrown right out the window.

My living room tv for example is a samsung glossy VA. I keep it's back to the window and a floor lamp in line with it on the same wall on each side further out. I do have a floor lamp behind my couch but all of the lamps are on a remote so I can turn the back lamp off when watching the tv. I keep four sets of settings on the TV since it allows you to have four sets and easily swap between them. One for bright daylight, one for dusk, and one for dark. The other is just an in-between. If I use the perfect for dark viewing settings during the day the screen will be dim and pale, if I use the daylight settings at night the screen will be much over bright.
I have no problems using even this 46" glossy let a lone my glossy computer monitors at an approriately set up "gaming studio" and desk orientation.

I keep my large 3-panel chamfered "boomerang/B-wing" desk facing out from a corner, taking over the corner, with the back of my chair facing the corner. I have a shaded table lamp on each side of my monitor array, in line with the array so they are not in front of the monitor faces. There are bright daytime windows further along a wall in the room, and I keep some floor lamps at that end in the corners in order to keep the day to night light conditions similar. There is overhead track lighting in the room but I never turn it on when using the computer, using the nice floor lamps and desk lamps instead. This is not even because the track lighting line is behind the monitor though (it isn't), it is because I see right up into the overhead lighting further in the room when seated at my desk and it is annoying.

It's too bad people don't treat their "gaming theatre" and "design studio" like many do their home theater setups and photography/art studios and design the room and setup more appropriately.

Last edited:
I like to use my computer during the day with glorious sunlight lighting up the room. Glossy reflections give me a headache and make it hard to see anything.

I would enjoy a glossy screen at night, but I would never buy one because I use my computer during the daytime too.

I like to use my computer during the day with glorious sunlight lighting up the room. Glossy reflections give me a headache and make it hard to see anything.

I would enjoy a glossy screen at night, but I would never buy one because I use my computer during the daytime too.

Same here. I use my monitor in many different lighting scenarios, so a glossy monitor is something I would not be willing to put up with.

I like to lay my monitors flat on the floor and stand naked over them to admire the reversed reflection of my genitalia. I find that glossy screens are the most ideal surface to accommodate my needs and am very disappointed with Asuses choice of Matte with the Rog Swift. This will certainly complicate matters in my household.

Back