ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

I have tried Crossfire as well as SLI for MMO's and found the issue of micro stutter too annoying to deal with... I just don't think it is possible, with todays current technology, to truly be able to utilize Crossfire or SLI effectively in an MMO.

I have a pretty rowdy system... I7-4770K overclocked to 4.4GHz with a GeForce HOF 780 and 32GB of RAM... so hopefully that will be sufficient to push pixels fast enough on the Asus ROG PG278Q when it comes out. The main reason why I bought my GeForce HOF 780 was because I had read about the G-Sync and was extremely excited about it... still am!

But at this rate... it'll be end of summer before that monitor comes out... I am using the SAMSUNG S27A950D since it came out and have been very happy with it... but the G-Sync has me wanting to upgrade...

The biggest question I have, with regards to MMO's, is whether or not input lag is greatly reduced during moments when frame rates drop to 30PFS... while having G-Sync enabled. I won't know for sure until I get one in my hands and get to test it out...

Last edited:
I play FFXIV on a Qnix 2710 and the input lag doesnt seem to worsen when frames drop. I actually love this monitor for mmo's with the extra screen real estate 1440p offers and the suburb color and viewing angles meaning I can lean back in my chair and not have display degradation.

Of course in darker dungeons the 1000:1 contrast really blows but Im not so sure the ROG would offer a better contrast. I was also considering an EIZO FG2421 but with the QC issues with it being somewhat expensive I may just wait it out a bit longer.

When your framerate drops to 30fps you are experiencing "freeze frames" of 33.2ms each world state update, which is murky movement (8.3ms each at 120hz+fps, 10ms each at 100hz+fps). Your fluctuating low framerate also causes judder (without gsync). How and when the long frozen frames provide you with opportunities to respond to things and initiate actions combined with screen abberations/judder and how the results are presented would still be compromised even before considering input lag into the scenario. It would likely be very sluggish like molasses and stuttered/juddered basically. Your motion tracking and ability to control smoothly would be compromised even without true input lag.

I just wish they'd get everything done and release this monitor already. It feels like I've been waiting for so long :D

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1811968

Hmm this bodes well for "premium" quality TN panels

As long as they don't have AG coating. I got two U28D590s on Wednesday and sold both of em to a local buyer yesterday (the AG didnt bother him, OMG how!) The TN panel was decent, but the grainy AG coating made it look like it needed 4xAA at all times. And that was on a 4K panel which is supposed to be OMG WOW look at the crispness, so if the ROG Swift uses a similar AG coating on its 1440p TN panel, I fear its gonna suck.

Last edited:
Hoping vega will post some results of ag removal off one of these (whether for his own or a client) along with the rest of the first purchaser impressions and reviews. Paying him to remove it would be worth it for me in the long run even if the monitor is already pricey. I hate ag that much.

Hoping vega will post some results of ag removal off one of these (whether for his own or a client) along with the rest of the first purchaser impressions and reviews. Paying him to remove it would be worth it for me in the long run even if the monitor is already pricey. I hate ag that much.

AG removal is a risky venture though, dependant on the glue strength used. If the glue is too tough you risk loosing the entire display. Its one thing to loose a $250 display and its a whole nother thing to loose a $700-800 display. With thay said Ill probably pay vega to remove the AG lol

AG removal is a risky venture though, dependant on the glue strength used. If the glue is too tough you risk loosing the entire display. Its one thing to loose a $250 display and its a whole nother thing to loose a $700-800 display. With thay said Ill probably pay vega to remove the AG lol

LOSE - It's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game.

LOOSE - Your mom's vagina.

LOSE - It's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game.

LOOSE - Your mom's vagina.

I agree with that even though I live at home and my 39th birthday is this week. If I didn't live at home I couldn't even afford AMD =)

I think he prob meant something like the scaling of 1080p on a 4k monitor in a perfect ratio. Which is why they used to call some of the 4k monitors "quad HD". 3840x2160 is like four 1080p panels in a rectangle. So you could use pixel doubling 1080p into a quad hd panel cleanly. 1280x720 could be pixel doubled into 2560x1440, this doesn't work scaling 1920x1080 into 2560x1440.

Vega is going to make so much money if he can get the garbage AG coating off of this otherwise supposedly amazing monitor.

Vega is going to make so much money if he can get the garbage AG coating off of this otherwise supposedly amazing monitor.

It will be interesting to see the risk vs reward for removing the film on a $800 monitor.

wait, I thought Asus delayed the display to replace the grainy AG coating?

I'm interested in one, but I would be much more likely to buy one if it were glossy.

wait, I thought Asus delayed the display to replace the grainy AG coating?

No. All of the GSYNC monitors are still a ways from being released. They were probably just being overly optimistic with their planned release date.

An update today from JJ regarding the release timeframe of the PG278Q and currently dismissing the Q3 rumor.

JJ
2 hours ago .Reply
Still under last stages of design and development and our target for release is still sometime in Q2. Once we have more specific information to release we will do so.

Source

well HDMI is needed for console.

This monitor is meant to be used by enthusiast PC gamers. Consoles are limited to 1080p@60hz and do not support G-Sync. There are plenty of sub 350$ 27" 1080p IPS with no input lag to chose from, though most use LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects).

I'd like to add this to my existing 2 x PB278Q setup. Work on three and play on 1!

yeah I've had a 120hz 1080p gaming monitor next to my 2560x1440 ips for quite awhile now. Don't use much on the 1080 other than games, but with a 2560x1440 g-sync monitor to replace the 1080p one I would be able to move things onto the matched rez much more functionally. I prob should sell the ACD and get a 120hz korean to replace it, since I could prob get more than enough for the acd locally to some apple fan to cover the korean 120hz one.

Last edited:
Is there a lightboost / strobed backlight situation with this monitor?

if you mean does it have backlight strobing mode available, yes. Nvidia g-sync monitors come with g-sync dynamic hz function which matches the hz to your fps dynamically eliminating judder and tear (and eliminating the need to use v-sync which cuts fps and induces input lag). G-sync monitors come with another mutually exclusive option to enable ulmb mode (ultra low motion blur mode), which is backlight strobing for zero blur that is reportedly superior to the lightboost hack mode.

This blurbusters quote is from someone using ulmb mode on the reportedly pale 24" asus VG248QE monitor I believe, retro-fitted with a g-sync board. Results on the asus ROG PG278Q could be considerably better if it has better brightness, contrast and possibly saturation out of the box.
"It actually gets it’s own hardware button on the kit’s monitor, as well, which makes it very convenient to enable/disable – it’s just to the left of the power button. I generally preferred G-Sync on, which meant ULMB wasn’t available, but on older games where I hold a solid huge FPS (or all of my 2D usage) it was quick and easy to enable. Hopefully a future update or revision allows for both G-Sync and ULMB, as that would truly be the best of both worlds.

ULMB is noticeably better than the lightboost hack on the same monitor, it’s still somewhat dimmer but it doesn’t wash out the colors or give any kind of tint to it. I don’t have a high-speed camera handy, or I’d take some sample pictures that could be compared against lightboost, however I’m sure blurbusters will jump in with these once the media ban is lifted. I’m quite impressed the improvements they made over straight lightboost, especially considering the kit has no settings for color tone or contrast. "
http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost-sequel-ultra-low-motion-blur-ulmb/

Though not specific to this monitor alone, I put some insights I gathered about 120hz, high fps on high hz, motion blur, g-sync here http://www.web-cyb.org/hardware-info/120hz-fps-compared.htm

Last edited:
I think he prob meant something like the scaling of 1080p on a 4k monitor in a perfect ratio. Which is why they used to call some of the 4k monitors "quad HD". 3840x2160 is like four 1080p panels in a rectangle. So you could use pixel doubling 1080p into a quad hd panel cleanly. 1280x720 could be pixel doubled into 2560x1440, this doesn't work scaling 1920x1080 into 2560x1440.

Pixel doubling for 720p, yes.
And showing a non divisible resolution (any other different from 720p) without scaling it to 2560x1440 too, so you'd get black bars around the image.
These two possibilities shouldn't add any lag as it's just a mater of using pixels directly from the panel without any kind of scaling algorithm.

Pixel doubling can be done without adding any lag - assuming the firmware coders are willing (and allowed) to add such a specific routine. In reality, time constraints and lazyness results in every non-native resolution being sent through the same laggy resizing functions. It's not uncommon to see resizing artifacts at what should be a frame doubled resolution.

Man, I thought I would have at least had this thing pre-ordered by now.

The internet seems pretty silent on this display at the moment, does anybody have any new info?

Back