ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

if it ever comes out that this isn't a TN imma sell my u3011 and get this. 120hz and gsync droool

Aren't all 1600p monitors terrible for consumer use?

wat? i use my u3011 for non-professional uses 99% of the time (reading and writing, gaming, surfing, movies) with no issues :confused: in fact better than most all of my friend's experiences given size, res and ips

1ms is most definitely TN. Doesn't matter that it has 120hz or what not. No way I'm buying one.

Let's all chill and let the ones who gets paid to review these things reveal what panel it is. Let's be serious who's gonna run out and buy this thing day one blindingly. Still holding onto my fw900 ;)

Always amazes me how any discussion of gaming monitors turns into 120 Hz vs 60 Hz and what the human eye can see, or 16:10 vs 16:9 and how the world is ending if you don't favor one or the other.

Always amazes me how any discussion of gaming monitors turns into 120 Hz vs 60 Hz and what the human eye can see, or 16:10 vs 16:9 and how the world is ending if you don't favor one or the other.

4:3 is where its at. Enough said. :cool:

Wow, finally a real 120Hz 1440p! I wish it strobed though; 120Hz still blurs.

Can you explain strobing versus blurring? It's the first I have heard of this for monitors, although admittedly I don't read up on them often.

Can you explain strobing versus blurring? It's the first I have heard of this for monitors, although admittedly I don't read up on them often.

if it has G-sync, it should have Nvidias strobing built in. Strobing the backlight alleviates the sample-and-hold problem of LCD monitors by artificially doing what CRT did - blinking to black after each displayed frame

If this isn't TN... damn... and here I finally gave up and settled on a 120hz, strobing and settled for an asus thinking nothing was coming.... arghhhhhhhhhhh need more info on this.

Also despite it being 16:9, the point is moot now as you have 1440 hor pixels, which is still a step up from 19x12 and despite being less in pixels horizontally, was considered a nice res for dual documents being open. So at the very least, its NOT 1080p!

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

About fucking time!

This will be the ultimate mega fail if they use the same grainy matte coating they use on their TN's. 1440-1600p+grainy matte coating=fail (think Dell U2711/HP ZR2740W/NEC PA271W & CFFL back-lit 30").

This will be the ultimate mega fail if they use the same grainy matte coating they use on their TN's. 1440-1600p+grainy matte coating=fail (think Dell U2711/HP ZR2740W/NEC PA271W & CFFL back-lit 30").

Yeah, that's the one proviso for me....semi-gloss or gloss coating otherwise GTFO.

I'm almost certain it will be horrible matte film. These companies really love that garbage film for some reason. I don't think there is a strobing backlight gaming display besides the Eizo FG2421 that doesn't have matte film.

I'm almost certain it will be horrible matte film. These companies really love that garbage film for some reason. I don't think there is a strobing backlight gaming display besides the Eizo FG2421 that doesn't have matte film.

I've never heard anyone say they liked that coating, but a whole lot of the opposite. I wonder if they ever.. you know... listen to their customers? I guess enough people buy them anyway that it doesn't matter. Give me glossy any day.

Don't understand why they don't offer the option of gloss and semi-gloss, charge the same price but give us the option for gods sakes.

Some further information:

ASUS Announces ROG Swift PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor
Republic of Gamers (ROG) releases the ultimate 27-inch WQHD gaming monitor with exclusive gaming features, design touches, and NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology

Las Vegas, USA (6th January, 2014) — ASUS today announced the ROG Swift PG278Q 27-inch gaming monitor. The Swift PG278Q features a WQHD (2560 x 1440) resolution, fast 120+ Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time and a full range of ergonomic adjustments. It also features ASUS GamePlus and NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technologies that are designed to deliver the ultimate gaming experience.

Experience Immersive Gaming and Outstanding Visuals

Say goodbye to motion blur and lag with 120+ Hz refresh rate and 1ms response times for a competitive advantage in all your games, thanks to smoother gameplay and on-screen responsiveness. The ROG Swift PG278Q also features GamePlus, an exclusive ASUS feature.

GamePlus is an OSD overlay that enables crosshair and timer functions to be displayed on the monitor. Gamers can select from four different crosshair types to suit the gaming environment, while the timer function allows players to track elapsed time in real-time strategy games. These tools allow gamers to practice and improve their gaming skills.

The ROG Swift PG278Q provides an array of options that include DisplayPort 1.2 for native WQHD output, dual USB 3.0 ports, VESA wall mount capability and a versatile stand with full tilt, swivel, pivot, and height adjustment for an ideal viewing position while playing the latest game titles.

The smart cable management feature rids your desktop of tangled wires, while the super narrow 6mm bezel ensures the ROG Swift PG278Q is an ideal choice for seamless multi-display gaming setups. Another nod to gamers and improving the user experience is a 5-way joystick that allows the user to easily navigate the OSD and make quick monitor adjustments.

The World’s First and Fastest WQHD Monitor powered by NVIDIA G-SYNC™

The ROG Swift PG278Q is also the world’s first WQHD monitor powered by NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology. NVIDIA® G-SYNC™, a breakthrough in display technology, synchronizes the display’s refresh rates to the GPU. The ROG Swift PG278Q eliminates screen tearing, minimizes stutter and input lag to deliver the smoothest gaming experience possible. With G-SYNC™ technology objects look sharper and more vibrant, while gameplay is more fluid and responsive.

SPECIFICATIONS

ROG Swift PG278Q

• Display: 27-inch WQHD 2560 × 1440 (16:9)

• Narrow 6mm bezel designed for multi-monitor setups

• Pixel Pitch: 0.233mm

• Brightness: 350cd/m²

• Display Colors: 16.7M

• Refresh Rate: Over 120 Hz

• Response Time: 1ms (GTG)

• Connectivity: 1 x DisplayPort 1.2, 2 x USB 3.0 ports

• Stand Adjustments: tilt (+20° ~ -5°), swivel (+60° ~ -60°), pivot (90° clockwise), height adjustment (0 ~ 120mm)

• VESA-wall mountable (100 × 100mm)

• Special ASUS Features: GamePlus and 5-way joystick OSD navigation

Quick QnA:

What is ASUS GamePlus?

The crosshair overlay and timer-count down – the VG248QE (the one Nvidia originally used to demonstrate G-Sync) which also includes this feature!
What is the 5-way menu control?

On the right-hand side of the monitor, a tiny joystick with 5-way movement is used to control the OSD. This makes any monitor adjustments extremely easy and quick, greatly improving the user experience!

Why only a single DisplayPort connection?

Nvidia’s G-Sync input currently requires DisplayPort in order to function, so this is the only input available.

Does it come bundled with a DP cable?

Yes! ROG will bundle a high-quality DisplayPort cable.

Minimum graphic card requirement?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost or more recent equivalent is required.

Why is the display TN rather than IPS/PVA/MVA, etc?

Not all TN’s are made the same: the premium panel used in the PG278Q is of very high quality. IPS panels (and their derivatives like PVA/MVA etc) are not suitable for a multitude of reasons: 1) the response rate is simply not fast enough to react to the active change in refresh rate and 2) They cannot reliably achieve >60Hz without significantly affecting the quality of the image. IGZO technology (and LTPS – low temperature polysilicon – likewise) – yields 100′s of times faster electron mobility versus standard amorphous silicon panels – and thus can provide a response rate comparable to TN (up to 60Hz currently), but, however desirable this technology is, it is still currently cost prohibitively for many PC gaming enthusiasts in 2014, which is why ROG has used a better price:performance, high quality TN panel.
When can I buy one?

The PG278Q Swift will be available in the next few months – keep an eye on ROG site for updates!

http://rog.asus.com/296852014/news/pr-asus-announces-rog-swift-pg278q-premium-gaming-monitor/

http://rog.asus.com/296652014/news/rog-announces-the-pg278q-swift-27-inch-wqhd-g-sync-gaming-monitor/

ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q_RIGHT-1000x972.jpg

ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q_FRONT-501x400.jpg

ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q_BACK-360x400.jpg

ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q_TOP-403x400.jpg

Last edited:
Quote: "Why is the display TN rather than IPS/PVA/MVA, etc?
Not all TN’s are made the same: the premium panel used in the PG278Q is of very high quality. IPS panels (and their derivatives like PVA/MVA etc) are not suitable for a multitude of reasons: 1) the response rate is simply not fast enough to react to the active change in refresh rate and 2) They cannot reliably achieve >60Hz without significantly affecting the quality of the image. IGZO technology (and LTPS – low temperature polysilicon – likewise) – yields 100′s of times faster electron mobility versus standard amorphous silicon panels – and thus can provide a response rate comparable to TN (up to 60Hz currently), but, however desirable this technology is, it is still currently cost prohibitively for many PC gaming enthusiasts in 2014, which is why ROG has used a better price:performance, high quality TN panel."

I will agree not all TN's are created equal. The Samsung Ultra-Clear line of TN's was quite good. I will definitely be checking out this monitor, at least for no other reason I like playing with new tech.

Will this monitor work with 3D Vision 2 ? If so then its going to be hard to look past this monitor for 3D vision gaming ....

Liking the frame and stand design, wonder if its plastic or something more sturdy.

If the picture quality is as good as my Samsung S27A750D TN panel I will be getting this... hopefully in glossy. I don't care about viewing angles. I like the Tempest at 110Hz for the most part but I really hate the IPS glow, and as stated earlier the pixel response is slower on IPS and I can notice the increased blur over 120Hz TN.

Last edited:

I still play several games (and jump around in an editor for one that no longer exists), that render 4:3 by the system's present horizontal and then crops top and bottom. And it's a pain in the balls. 16:10 isn't MUCH of an improvement, but I'll take all the vertical I can get.

wow, the viewing angles are bad. if you sit about 50cm away from the screen, i bet you will see the colors shifting in the corners. not good.

His response to viewing angle complaints on the video for what its worth:

Viewing angles are pretty solid. Poor lighting and smartphone for video recording do not do it justice. Stay tuned for more information and higher quality video. Again most users who are satisfied with the viewing angles on our VG series will be happy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

It is not the same as the best IPS/PLS displays like our PB or PA series but overall I feel it will not limit the experience of serious gamers.

There is an ancient proverb...which says "The worst IPS is better than the best TN."
I would like to see how this monitor preforms in a merely dark room in games such as Skyrim or Mass Effect 3.

His response to viewing angle complaints on the video for what its worth:

well, that post indicates what HE feels, hence it is his personal taste. i sure hope it will be good, but i will wait for professional reviews, such as tftcentral or prad.

anyhow, i'm interested in this, but i'm more excited about the 34" 21:9 displays, to be honest.

Why are gaming-related components always designed to be as gaudy as possible. Yeah, I want a giant red ring under the monitor for no reason.

Way too expensive for TN crap
Official 1440p@120hz support is good news though
That means we may see the same with a quality panel in the near future
For this I'd gladly pay the 800$

Way too expensive for TN crap
Official 1440p@120hz support is good news though
That means we may see the same with a quality panel in the near future
For this I'd gladly pay the 800$

or you could just buy a korean panel for $300 and have the best of everything right now

Back