ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS today announced the ROG SWIFT PG278Q. The SWIFT PG278Q features a 27-inch WQHD (2560 x 1440) resolution, fast 120+ Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, full range ergonomic adjustments, ASUS GamePlus and NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technologies that are designed to deliver the ultimate gaming experience. Say goodbye to motion blur and lag with 120+ Hz refresh rate and 1ms response times for a competitive advantage in all your games thanks to smoother gameplay and on-screen responsiveness. The ROG SWIFT PG278Q also features GamePlus, an exclusive ASUS feature.
GamePlus is an OSD overlay that enables crosshair and timer functions to be displayed on the monitor. Gamers can select from four different crosshair types to suit the gaming environment, while the timer function allows players to track elapsed time in real-time strategy games. These tools allow gamers to practice and improve their gaming skills.

The ROG SWIFT PG278Q provides an array of options that include DisplayPort 1.2 for native WQHD output, dual USB 3.0 ports, VESA wall mount capability and a versatile stand with full tilt, swivel, pivot, and height adjustment for an ideal viewing position while playing the latest game title. The smart cable management feature rids your desktop of tangled wires, while the super narrow 6mm bezel ensures the ROG SWIFT PG278Q is an ideal choice for seamless multi-display gaming setups. Another nod to gamers and improving the user experience is a 5-way joystick that allows the user to easily navigate the OSD and make quick monitor adjustments.

ROG SWIFT PG278Q Specifications:
  • Display: 27-inch WQHD 2560 × 1440 (16:9)
  • Narrow 6mm bezel designed for multi-monitor setups
  • Pixel Pitch: 0.233mm
  • Brightness: 350cd/m²
  • Display Colors: 16.7M
  • Refresh Rate: Over 120 Hz
  • Response Time: 1ms (GTG)
  • Connectivity: 1 x DisplayPort 1.2, 2 x USB 3.0 ports
  • Stand Adjustments: tilt (+20° ~ -5°), swivel (+60° ~ -60°), pivot (90° clockwise), height adjustment (0 ~ 120mm)
  • VESA-wall mountable (100 × 100mm)
  • Special ASUS Features: GamePlus and 5-way joystick OSD navigation
  • Pricing: $799 USD
  • Availability: Beginning Q2

Holy ****!
And I almost bought the EV2736W today. There! There!! is mah monitoh!! :cool: :D

Hmm $800 for gsync, 120hz and 1440p gaming. I'm assuming this is a TN panel? Wondering why DVI was omitted?

Hmm $800 for gsync, 120hz and 1440p gaming. I'm assuming this is a TN panel? Wondering why DVI was omitted?

Probably in an attempt to keep input lag low, they're going with 1 input with minimal processing, and thus they had to go with DP because g-sync does not work over DVI.

I wouldn't expect DVI on new monitors going forward in general -- with HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 being the requirement for 4k@60hz, I'm guessing manufacturers are just going to stop bothering with DVI on high-end displays(which this definitely qualifies as) for the mostpart.

I am very curious how the colors and contrast are on this panel, given that it's presumably TN based on the response time. Viewing angles could be a significant issue at 27".

Yes. Since they don't mention the panel type - it is TN most likely. Spoke too soon I guess.:( But it is a good move into the right direction.

Wow, finally a real 120Hz 1440p! I wish it strobed though; 120Hz still blurs.

This is still something I'll almost certainly be a day one buyer if it isn't TN.

*edit* arrrrrrrrgh, say it ain't so!

Yeah, no thanks. At the end of the day, it's still a TN panel which you're paying an absolute premium for.

No way it ISNT TN, they mentioned everything including the kitchen sink but left out panel type and viewing angles. Clear indication they dont want attention drawn there. Sucks and TN blows

I'm not sure that it's even possible to have a 120hz IPS monitor with current IPS panel pixel response times? The OCable koreans don't count -- even when they do accept a 120hz signal the panels do not handle it nearly as well as real 120hz monitors. It's probable that the quality that results is not acceptable for a product actually advertised to function at 120hz out of the box.

Still, a VA panel would be nice. The price doesn't concern me, it's fair -- g-sync adds to the price and this is just the msrp on literally the first available 1440p@120hz monitor. It will likely end up with a significantly lower street price before the year is over.

The price doesn't excite me, while the prospect of a handful of competitors potentially lowering the prices with similar products does.
1440p, 120hz with strobing, G-sync features and the ability to strobe at 85hz - it might be TN, but unless it is abysmal to look at, it peaks my interest

I'm not 100% sure it's TN

First no one else is making 1440p TN displays so far and it's hard to belive they would design one for g-sync niche monitor
Second Eizo is advertising their 120Hz VA as 1 ms responce time due to strobing.

Altrough i guess they would say it's non TN if it weren't

Oh man if it's an IPS, I can't press the buy button sooner. If it is an IPS monitor, hopefully ASUS won't go overboard with their OD.

I guess we will have to wait and see. Has Asus ever used the samsung pls panels?

Everyone is showing a different picture of the monitor then what is in Hardocp's news feed.
I'm excited to see this monitor reviewed.

Another shitty 16x9 aspect ratio monitor..

I'll be hanging on to my 16x10 (Dell U3011) for the foreseeable future..

When are these PC vendors going to realize 16x9 is a cinematic aspect ratio.

I'm no Apple fan, but at least they seem to get this one right.

Hopefully they don't ruin it by excluding the overdrive controls (Trace Free) like they have been doing with a few of their flagship IPS and 1ms TN's which all suffer from severe overshoot ghosting.

Wow, this is pretty cool news. The wonderful march of progress, would be awesome to game on something like this. BF4 is a trainwreck and even if it was working, good luck pushing 120FPS+ @ 1440.

Another shitty 16x9 aspect ratio monitor..

I'll be hanging on to my 16x10 (Dell U3011) for the foreseeable future..

When are these PC vendors going to realize 16x9 is a cinematic aspect ratio.

I'm no Apple fan, but at least they seem to get this one right.

Please explain how having a 11% taller screen is sooo much better then a "shitty" 16:9. Can you somehow fit a whole other window in there for increased production?

Better resolution sure... or some other substantive property I can see...

but 11% taller screen is meh nice to have but does not make the other "shitty" imo. Maybe less desirable... but "shitty"? I reserve that for uhaul, comcast and the Minnesota Vikings.

Though its opinion either way. I work at home and office with 2 25" 16:9... and don't really have issue with how tall the screens are.

Aren't all 1600p monitors terrible for consumer use?

Anyways, it's a shame that this monitor's a TN panel. Pretty much a dealbreaker for me, but I'm not a huge FPS gamer so...

2560x1440 @ 120Hz is a step in the right direction. Even if it is TN.

We will get there one day!

If this was a 32 inch 21/9 monitor I'd pay 1000 on it. Really hope someone makes sooner a monitor like that.

I thought this would be nice to hook up to a SteamBox when they become available, no?Assuming their graphics cards will support DP? :D

Please explain how having a 11% taller screen is sooo much better then a "shitty" 16:9. Can you somehow fit a whole other window in there for increased production?

Better resolution sure... or some other substantive property I can see...

but 11% taller screen is meh nice to have but does not make the other "shitty" imo. Maybe less desirable... but "shitty"? I reserve that for uhaul, comcast and the Minnesota Vikings.

Though its opinion either way. I work at home and office with 2 25" 16:9... and don't really have issue with how tall the screens are.

My point is simply a 16x10 aspect ratio is much more desirable in a workspace environment. I find 16x9 monitors to be too squat, and anyone I've shown the difference to seems to agree. 16x10 is just better on a personal computer period. 16x9 is for watching movies man.

When you browse the web, do you scroll through the page horizontally? No, it's vertical.

When you work in Excel and Word, does the ribbon snap to the side of your screen. No, it takes up a large part of the top of your screen.

I guess admittedly, this is much less of a concern at 1440 than 1080 and lower.. But WHY, just WHY.. you know.. 16x10 is a great aspect ratio but the PC vendors keep pushing 16x9. Seems 16x10 is going the way of the dodo and are getting very limited, which I find disappointing.

Meanwhile Apple has stuck with 16x10 from what I can see on their Macbooks, and at some very nice high resolutions.

My frustrations stem from being in the market for a new Notebook, and I have no intentions on buying a Mac. Yet, seems most of the PC stuff the vendors have is just not very good and filled with compromises. Try to find a decent PC notebook at 15" with a display port.. pretty limited pickings. Yet Apple has it (through thunderbolt). 16x10? Forget it. Closest I can find is the new Dell XPS 15, but Dell man.. Dell.

Anyways, that's my rant for the day.

I am all over this when it comes out, unless something similar from a cheaper brand does too. I could give shits less if it is a TN panel, maybe I'm some kind of blind mongoloid retard but the best display I've ever owned was the VG236HE. 120hz, glossy, fast response time and the colors look great to me. I've owned plenty of IPS panels and I don't care one bit about the extra color accuracy or viewing angles.

Its just different. It is hard to put into words but I MUCH prefer 1200p/1600p over 1080p/1440p. Things just feel squished down to me when I look at a 16:9 monitor. I couldn't fathom using those 2560x1080 screens, I see them in the store and it feels like I'm trying to use my computer through a cardboard box with a little viewing slot cut out of it. I've had to give up my preference though, because aside from a very few IPS panels these days there aren't many 16:10 out there, I do still keep my 1920x1200 Asus VW266H though for use at work. Much better for document processing as I can fit two standard full sized word docs side by side.

^^ This might be an impression if you are comparing panels with same "marketing" dimensions as 16:9 24" is nowhere near close to 24" 16:10.

I'm now running 27" 16:9 alongside 24" 16:10 and 27" is minimally bigger (in height) which removes perceived discomfort

For 30" 16:10 you probably need 31,5" 4K display to compare favourably.

2560:1080 are especially bad in this as they have height of 23" 1080p screen

I've owned and used 27" 1080p as well as several of the 1440p IPS like the U2711 and a Catleap, those are much different as with 1440p you have plenty of room vertically anyways. The 1080p was the same problem just bigger, literally. I prefer the more square resoluton for games as well, as it often changes the FOV depending on the game. Personal preference for sure, but I don't particularly like 16:9. Too many years spent with 4:3 maybe?

2560x1440 is taller than 1920x1200 so it can't be squished. Those truly worried about resolution own multiple monitors. One can buy 2-3x 27" 1440p monitors for the same price as 1x vastly inferior 30."

16x9 is for watching movies man.

I guess admittedly, this is much less of a concern at 1440 than 1080 and lower.. But WHY, just WHY.. you know.. 16x10 is a great aspect ratio but the PC vendors keep pushing 16x9. Seems 16x10 is going the way of the dodo and are getting very limited, which I find disappointing.

This screen is for playing video games. 16:9 is a better aspect ratio for gaming than 16:10 because games typically give you more horizontal fov. I am sure Dell will continue making 2560x1600 and 1920x1200 professional monitors for some time to come... but nobody is going to make 16:10 gaming monitors, it doesn't make sense.

Seriously, at this point complaining about 16:9 in a 2560x1440 *gaming monitor* thread is borderline trolling.

I'm not 100% sure it's TN

First no one else is making 1440p TN displays so far and it's hard to belive they would design one for g-sync niche monitor
Second Eizo is advertising their 120Hz VA as 1 ms responce time due to strobing.

Altrough i guess they would say it's non TN if it weren't

That is what I am thinking. Probably the same type of 120 Hz Sharp VA panel. Sweet news if it is true!

That is what I am thinking. Probably the same type of 120 Hz Sharp VA panel. Sweet news if it is true!

We'll see. Usually though, when someone withholds information, it's never for a good reason. If it was using a PLS or VA panel, then they'd say so - just another reason to drop $800. But nope - no mention of it.

Back