ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Has anyone paired one of these with an IPS panel for desktop use? I'm wondering how different the color palette is compared to a normal full sRGB IPS display. I used to have a TN panel next to a IPS and could never get them to look similar, even though I calibrated both to the same standard. Does the fact that this is an 8bit TN panel make a difference there?

Paired with my old e-IPS (so supposed to be 6bit+FRC but the dithering/banding is totally invisible to me) it looks overall very very solid once calibrated. A bit more banding in the darker shades, though. But certainly the best TN panel I've ever seen.

I think a great IPS will blow it out of the water for static images though, I can always see the gamma shift and the colours changing when I move my head a bit.

My biggest regret about this monitor is that I now MUST buy another display with more inputs... sometimes I just want to use my chromecast/fire tv stick and not turn on my computer.

My biggest regret about this monitor is that I now MUST buy another display with more inputs... sometimes I just want to use my chromecast/fire tv stick and not turn on my computer.

Your PC loves you, leave it turned on. Let it breathe! :)

Every time I look for this monitor (in the US) it's never in stock. I can't even find the product listed on Amazon (sold by Amazon) and I have it on my watchlist for Newegg, but I never get notified. I refuse to pay a giant markup to a 3rd party - how do people land these monitors?

I refuse to pay a giant markup to a 3rd party - how do people land these monitors?
They pay the markup, or check very often.

I got mine from Fry's about a week or so before they were released by asking the guy in the back for it specifically.

These days though, they usually just bite the bullet and pay the hundred or so extra.

Every time I look for this monitor (in the US) it's never in stock. I can't even find the product listed on Amazon (sold by Amazon) and I have it on my watchlist for Newegg, but I never get notified. I refuse to pay a giant markup to a 3rd party - how do people land these monitors?

I used the SMS alerts on nowinstock.net: http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/monitors/asus/

You can sign up to receive a text when it comes available. Then hopefully you're near a computer :)

I did the back order option on Newegg a week ago. Just got my confirmation that it is shipping. Can't wait.

I've been playing with mine for a few days. The colors seem less saturated than with my U3011, but after awhile I've come to actually prefer the saturation on the Swift.

For gaming, this seems like an entirely new computer. It definitely breathed new life into my 780 SLI, which struggled with Vsync in some of the latest games. It's extremely fast compared to the 30" Dell (obviously). It's also a noticeable step above the 23" Alienware 3d monitor I had a couple of years ago.

I couldn't stand how ULMB butchered the colors, and it didn't seem to work that well anyway, so I prefer Gsync for now.

For movies and tv show, how do you enjoy the Swift compared to your previous U3011?

For movies and tv show, how do you enjoy the Swift compared to your previous U3011?

I've got both as well and the color on the U3011 is far, far superior.

I use the Dell for both photo editing and video viewing; the Swift is for gaming and extra desktop workspace and it absolutely excels at those tasks. Definitely worth it to keep both IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've got both as well and the color on the U3011 is far, far superior.

I use the Dell for both photo editing and video viewing; the Swift is for gaming and extra desktop workspace and it absolutely excels at those tasks. Definitely worth it to keep both IMO.
I agree. I had my swift next to a U3014 and the swift looks like crap in comparison, color wise. (Though to be fair, the Dell looks like crap in comparison, motion wise.) Dell for media and daily use, swift for gaming and extra windows.

I agree. I had my swift next to a U3014 and the swift looks like crap in comparison, color wise. (Though to be fair, the Dell looks like crap in comparison, motion wise.) Dell for media and daily use, swift for gaming and extra windows.

This is how I felt with my Dell UP3214Q next to my Swift. How do you have these both configuration on your desk for daily use? I was going to try and get some sort of big ass arm for the Swift so that I could swing it down and over the Dell but decided against that.

Make sure when "testing" that you are looking directly at the TN panel and not even slightly off center. Comparing my ips to my swift while looking over at the swift from the ips side of my desk looks different than looking head on. Also make sure you tweak the vibrancy up a few %, that your gamma is good, and adjust the OSD contrast and brightness. All of this to your room lighting conditions of course since the way you perceive the settings will change if your room lighting changes.

I've found the swift to be very lush and colorful for games, and after tweaking the blacks are even on the darker side at least compared to the rather slate grey in dungeon game's dark corridors I'd see before I tweaked the settings more adequately. (Still nothing like the detail in blacks a VA or plasma is capable of at darker black levels, or their increased depth, but "black").

The swift holds up well even running a bunch of 2560x1440 wallpapers (digital art, high rez photos) I've collected when I was repeatedly comparing them on my cinema display and the swift side by side more or less (again, viewing the swift head on though). It looks really good in my opinion, especially for games. I'd have it glossy for a little more "wet" look (and no micro crystal texture on very bright flat planes of color) but it looks very good in my opinion. Of course it has a narrow "gradient of shadow" at the top, mostly dimming the top two corners how I have it set up. It's much like a tiny ledge in each corner shading/dimming (not blackening) the top two corners.. but even so it's not really noticeable unless you are moving your head around looking for it, or of course not looking at the monitor head on.

One of my main worries was that the swift would be pale and not capable of lush/saturated color. It is absolutely not pale at all and is capable of being oversaturated even. The color and brightness really pops after tweaking it for multimedia/gaming use.

My 60hz ips on the other hand looks great for static imagery and desktop apps/text based apps, and is more uniform vs shift/shadow.

The cinema display has 83.2% adobe 1998 color gamut, the swift has 71.37%.

". Adobe RGB 1998 occupies roughly 40% more volume than sRGB, so you are only utilizing 70% of your bit depth if the colors in Adobe RGB 1998 are unnecessary"

"Adobe 1998 was designed to encompass most of the colors achievable on CMYK color printers, but by using RGB primary colors on a device such as a computer display. The Adobe RGB (1998) color space encompasses roughly 50% of the visible colors specified by the Lab color space."
So according to that, my displays are theoretically capable of 41.6% and 35.65% of the visible color spectrum defined by Lab color space - a 5.95% difference in the millions of colors "box of crayons" they have to work with, a difference spread across the already much sliced/defined tones of each color "band". If anything, a very subtle difference and to perfect eyesight and conditions, and only on media that actually fills out those color variances noticeably.

Even with a 100% or 110% adobe 1998 monitor you'd still be at 50% or 55% of the visible spectrum defined by Lab color space, a gain of 14.35% or 19.35% in further dividing already very variegated/abundantly hued color bands.. And that is using adobe 1998 as a reference which has a larger gamut than any sRGB content you might be viewing.

I think the claims of this monitor not having pleasing color saturation are false. I'll say especially for games, but as I said I've also compared a lot of high quality 2560x1440 photos and digital art (a collection I've been adding to since testing out the swift) and am very pleased.

Never-mind "twitch gaming",scoring/ladder stuff - the fact is, in 1st/3rd person gaming an ips is so slow that it is aesthetically a mess. A non-resolution smear during continual FoV~world viewport movement.. and if at 60hz, inferior motion definition and motion articulation.

cinema-display_adobe1998.png

pg278q_color-gamut_toms-hardware.png

Edit: Image tags removed as it was popping up a login screen - odoe

edit: my links are working again. My apologies, my web service was borked for a day.

I had my swift next to a U3014 and the swift looks like crap in comparison, color wise.

The 3014 uses a wide gamut AH-IPS panel which vastly over-saturates colours unless the sRGB mode or colour management (not supported in games) is used. Are you aware of this?

Not sure if you were seeing something else, but it's only 'on sale' at Amazon from 3rd parties, i.e. scalpers who charge a markup. Not that I'm complaining about that - if people are happy paying the markup then good for them, I just wish it was in stock sold by Amazon. Unlike Newegg, I can't even fjnd the equivalent of 'backorder' sold by Amazon.

Edit:
BTW, I really hate those color charts from Toms and AT, that show the percentage of Adobe RGB covered as a quality metric. I'm not going to rehash shit, but things like Delta E for sRGB (or rec 709) colors and gamma curves and / or grayscale tracking (in combination with contrast and primaries/secondaries tracking) would be much better indicators of quality.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In practice, a Delta E under 1.0 is perfect - the chromatic sensitivity of the human eye is not great enough to distinguish a difference.

Moving up, a Delta E of 2.0 or less is generally considered fit for use in a professional imaging environment - it isn’t perfect, but it’s hard to gauge the difference.

Finally, Delta E of 4.0 and above is considered visible with the human eye. Of course, the big consideration here is frame of reference; unless you have another monitor or some print samples (color checker card) to compare your display with, you probably won’t notice.

color_dell-and-other-ips_tft-central-chart.jpg

pg278q_compared-to-other-lcds_tftcentral.png

deltaE.. sRGB gamut - calibrated pg278q, ulmb off
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/asus_rog_swift_pg278q/calibrated.jpg

deltaE.. sRGB gamut - calibrated pg278q, ulmb on
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/asus_rog_swift_pg278q/calibrated_ulmb_on.jpg

deltaE.. sRGB gamut - calibrated U3014
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/dell_u3014/hardware_calibrated_srgb.jpg

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3014.htm

Last edited:
So would I be drawing the correct conclusion by saying that Swift is comparable to U3014 when both are calibrated?

Just got mine tonight and hooked it up. Wow, I've never experienced anything better than 60 hz, but this is pretty amazing. Mine is sitting right next to an IPS LG UHD TV, and out of the box, the Asus colors looked incredibly washed out and flat. After a battery of lagom tests (no time tonight to do a full calibration with calorimeter), I lowered brightness to about 50, contrast to 15, and had to mess with the gamma pretty significantly in Nvidia control panel. It was sitting around 1.7-1.8 out of the box. Another thing I noticed is an inability to adjust contrast or brightness so that I could see RGB 1-5 grayscale values. In the black level test, they just appeared the same shade as the black background, no matter what I did. I have it set to RGB output (0-255), so it should be receiving them properly. Is there some sort of black crush exhibited with this panel?

After my tweaking it does look much better, and though colors still look a bit more vivid on my IPS display (part of that could be the matte screen on the Asus), I have to admit I'm very impressed so far.

My BLB is definitely noticeable on a dark background, but it's not horrible compared to some I've seen. I've read that it can get worse with time though, so I'll withhold judgement on that.

What settings have others used for brightness/contrast? Did anyone else have the gamma issues I'm having out of the box? I'm trying to consider whether I want to keep the Swift or my recently purchased LG 34UM95 (3440x1440 ultra wide). They both really add something to the experience. Tough call.

Edit: after reading the TFT review, it sounds like this display should be pretty close to 2.2 gamma out of the box. I'm shocked mine was so far out of whack with this. Could it be defective, or did I do something to set it up wrong (pretty much plugged it in and went)?

Last edited:
I've got two of them incoming from Amazon that should be here on Friday. Hopefully neither has any dead pixels or other issues. Right now I'm using a pretty nice LG 10 bit IPS 1440p 27" display so I'm sure I'll be disappointed by the TN panel viewing angles and color. However, at least this panel is 8 bit so that's somewhat comforting. The reason I got the Asus is because I want the 1 ms response + G-Sync and the Asus seems to be the only game in town that delivers all that at 27" and 1440p.

So overall, those of you that have had the display for more than a few weeks, what do you enjoy more, ULMB or G-Sync? And did any of you switch from a high end IPS like me to it and were you able to live w/the loss in color quality? I'm hoping they're as good as some people claim because I really like my LG a lot and if these don't live up to expectations, they'll go back to Amazon or be sold off.

So would I be drawing the correct conclusion by saying that Swift is comparable to U3014 when both are calibrated?

Nope. You can safely ignore colour accuracy on TNs. I find the gamma shift bad enough on VAs (still love em) but on TNs its ridiculous. The U3014 doesn't have that kind of issue.

I've got two of them incoming from Amazon that should be here on Friday. Hopefully neither has any dead pixels or other issues. Right now I'm using a pretty nice LG 10 bit IPS 1440p 27" display so I'm sure I'll be disappointed by the TN panel viewing angles and color. However, at least this panel is 8 bit so that's somewhat comforting. The reason I got the Asus is because I want the 1 ms response + G-Sync and the Asus seems to be the only game in town that delivers all that at 27" and 1440p.

So overall, those of you that have had the display for more than a few weeks, what do you enjoy more, ULMB or G-Sync? And did any of you switch from a high end IPS like me to it and were you able to live w/the loss in color quality? I'm hoping they're as good as some people claim because I really like my LG a lot and if these don't live up to expectations, they'll go back to Amazon or be sold off.

G-Sync is the only feature that really matters. ULMB is crap. It completely destroys the already mediocre image quality. I really don't understand how anyone can tolerate the washed out colors and dimness of ULMB.

G-Sync is a straight up improvement. It's less input lag and smoother motion (and the ability to run every arcade game at its native refresh rate in emulators). ULMB is nothing more than a tradeoff. You get slightly less ghosting and a dim, shitty, washed out image.

Playing Alien Isolation on this monitor is godly. It's crazy how smooth it is! For those who have a calibrator, what are your settings at?

Just got mine tonight and hooked it up. Wow, I've never experienced anything better than 60 hz, but this is pretty amazing. Mine is sitting right next to an IPS LG UHD TV, and out of the box, the Asus colors looked incredibly washed out and flat. After a battery of lagom tests (no time tonight to do a full calibration with calorimeter), I lowered brightness to about 50, contrast to 15, and had to mess with the gamma pretty significantly in Nvidia control panel. It was sitting around 1.7-1.8 out of the box. Another thing I noticed is an inability to adjust contrast or brightness so that I could see RGB 1-5 grayscale values. In the black level test, they just appeared the same shade as the black background, no matter what I did. I have it set to RGB output (0-255), so it should be receiving them properly. Is there some sort of black crush exhibited with this panel?

After my tweaking it does look much better, and though colors still look a bit more vivid on my IPS display (part of that could be the matte screen on the Asus), I have to admit I'm very impressed so far.

My BLB is definitely noticeable on a dark background, but it's not horrible compared to some I've seen. I've read that it can get worse with time though, so I'll withhold judgement on that.

What settings have others used for brightness/contrast? Did anyone else have the gamma issues I'm having out of the box? I'm trying to consider whether I want to keep the Swift or my recently purchased LG 34UM95 (3440x1440 ultra wide). They both really add something to the experience. Tough call.

Edit: after reading the TFT review, it sounds like this display should be pretty close to 2.2 gamma out of the box. I'm shocked mine was so far out of whack with this. Could it be defective, or did I do something to set it up wrong (pretty much plugged it in and went)?
Remember that if you were using an .icc profile previously to change it back to default. The CD that comes with the monitor has an .icc profile from the manufacturer that you should try. It warmed up the colors for me. I didn't see if it affected the blacks at all, but I can see all the greyscale on the lagom website. Remember with the gamma shift on TN your view has to be as square as possible. Also make sure to start at default values at the driver level if you changed any of the color settings there.

As for brightness, you should probably turn it down further. Most people who have shared in this thread say they have it between 15-20 with ULMB disabled. I set the brightness on mine to 18 and all RGB values to 255.

Outstanding. That's it. Canceling pre-order.

:p

So I finally got around to hooking it up to my new system. I couldn't use the ROG Swift with the old system because the Swift can't display low resolutions and I couldn't see my bios.

With my new system 4770k, gtx980, 32gb ram... it's awesome. I tried to play Killing Floor first. It went into windowed mode. I chose full screen and the monitor went black. I couldn't alt-enter my way out of it or anything. It became my first forced restart. :(

Restarted, did it again and the same result. I just play it in windowed mode now, and it works fine.

So G-sync with Killing Floor didn't work for me.

I tried BF3, that I got free (on the house) from EA some time ago. Wow...

The game ran smooth with g-sync, ultra everything. It was as if I had multiple graphics cards working to give me this silky smooth gameplay experience. Amazing.

I got the monitor from B&H. No dead or stuck pixels. It's great. It's massive. If you move your head you can see different shades of color. A negative I would say. It's not terrible, but I notice it.

Also I do sense some form of heat emanating from the monitor. I wonder if it's safe, in the long term, for the hardware inside the screen.

My old Trinitron CRT went 15 years. That's my baseline. If old technology could do it, this new and modern technology should, at a minimum, do it as well. :D

G-Sync is the only feature that really matters. ULMB is crap. It completely destroys the already mediocre image quality. I really don't understand how anyone can tolerate the washed out colors and dimness of ULMB.

G-Sync is a straight up improvement. It's less input lag and smoother motion (and the ability to run every arcade game at its native refresh rate in emulators). ULMB is nothing more than a tradeoff. You get slightly less ghosting and a dim, shitty, washed out image.

There is barely any difference between ULMB and regular mode on my screen. Normally I have brightness down to 20 (which is still pretty bright) and ULMB it is on 100% w/ 90 pulse width. I sometimes have to double check which mode is on. Definitely not washed out.

Is there anything coming that will rival the Asus rog? I'm not really set on 1440p and non ips colors...But would really like to upgrade from my 23 inch Dell e-ips

Is there anything coming that will rival the Asus rog? I'm not really set on 1440p and non ips colors...But would really like to upgrade from my 23 inch Dell e-ips

I got two of the ROG in today and once you adjust the settings it looks great. I'm not a professional photographer so I'm not that discerning but just as a comparison, I do have a wide gamut IPS next to it and they both look great to me.

Remember that if you were using an .icc profile previously to change it back to default. The CD that comes with the monitor has an .icc profile from the manufacturer that you should try. It warmed up the colors for me. I didn't see if it affected the blacks at all, but I can see all the greyscale on the lagom website. Remember with the gamma shift on TN your view has to be as square as possible. Also make sure to start at default values at the driver level if you changed any of the color settings there.

As for brightness, you should probably turn it down further. Most people who have shared in this thread say they have it between 15-20 with ULMB disabled. I set the brightness on mine to 18 and all RGB values to 255.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely make sure I delete any old ICC files. Regarding brightness, it doesn't seem to affect gamma or black/white levels, so i suspect it's basically just a backlight level control. I prefer my displays at about 180 nits, not the standard 120 since I view in a lit room, so 40 is about right for me based on the TFT review. I'll check out the CD too.

800 seems like to much for a 27 inch..Also gaming@1440p will require frequent gpu upgrades..1080p 27 inch with 144hz and g sync might be the way to go

Theoretically you can run 1440p on 1080p (DSR and VSR), problem is you won't be able to fake the PPI

Black borders still sucks..will there ever be 24 inch equivalent to the Asus rog 27 with ips quality colors?

21 inch would be too small...I still feel like 24 is sweet spot for me. I guess I would have to see what this asus can do to really decide...What do you mean by when you cant push playable frames at native res will hardly ever happen due to G sync? Lets say your playing a next gen game @ 1440p your pc cant handle it that means you either need to upgrade gpu or drop to the 21 inch resolution you mentioned the ROG can do either alternative sucks which is why Id rather stick to 1080p rez

1080p is still the sweet spot for moderate enthusiast gpu budgets in order to get high fps on high+ to ultra settings for sure. If you spend $800 on a 1440p monitor you are likely not going to balk at getting a sli setup with higher end gpus in this coming year though if you haven't got them already.

You aren't going to get ips color % and uniformity in a ultra high motion definition + motion articulation + blur reduction/elimination gaming monitor for years, probably some screen blanking high hz input oled some years from now (let alone at $800). IPS is too slow and smears during continual movement-keying + mouse look flow pathing in 1st/3rd person games. Even the 120hz input ips monitors smear more twd the 60hz tn end of the scale due to their poorer response times. The swift is however capable of lush, saturated color for gaming (can even be configured to be oversaturated, so not pale by any means).

So in short, yes for most enthusiast budgets w/o edging extreme gpu budgets and sli 1080p would be better for you, and ips is too slow. Also imo 27" is an awesome screen size. I have two 27" monitors - an ips for desktop/apps and the swift primarily for gaming.

Last edited:
Elvn that's the point I was making. I'm not the type to upgrade often. I just recently built a new pc and the last time I built a pc was in 2006...So I would like a monitor that will not require me to update my pc every year top play the top AAA games..maybe a monitor with the same capabilities of the Asus rog but in 24 inch@1080p might be the way to go?

Maybe your right.. I really would like to see the asus in action though. Does anyone know when Bestbuy might get another shipment? I think they have a 30 day return policy so I could test it out & see if its the right fit for me. As far as colors go will I notice a huge difference in the Asus from my current IPS? I love the vibrant lively colors of IPS...

Back