ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

I want to say that I've idled at normal clocks @ 144Hz, but I'll double check. I was using GPU-Z to check. Should I be using another tool?

Threads on other sites say that high clocks at idle are not universal, particularly with a single display.

From here:

This is by design when running dual monitors and one of the monitor is running at 144Hz. This change was made a few driver versions ago to prevent a display glitch when driving at such high frequencies with dual monitors. As you stated, it only affects the graphics card if running in dual monitors where one of the monitors is running at 144hz

That's from ManuelG at NVidia.

Last edited:
I'm patiently waiting. I suspect the next batch is either still on the assembly line or in a sea can somewhere.

I might blow the monitor money on a few evga 980 sc's if they outperform dual 780ti's enough, and wait on the swift longer since I can't get one as it is anyway due to lack of availability. I'd also only by one from amazon or bestbuy due to return policies, so my in stock windows are even more narrow.

I want to say that I've idled at normal clocks @ 144Hz, but I'll double check. I was using GPU-Z to check. Should I be using another tool?

Threads on other sites say that high clocks at idle are not universal, particularly with a single display.

From here:

That's from ManuelG at NVidia.

Hmmm....I do have a second monitor attached so I'll have to test this out.

I might blow the monitor money on a few evga 980 sc's if they outperform dual 780ti's enough

i suppose this is a personal decision, but imo that is a waste of effort and (potentially) money.

I might blow the monitor money on a few evga 980 sc's if they outperform dual 780ti's enough, and wait on the swift longer since I can't get one as it is anyway due to lack of availability. I'd also only by one from amazon or bestbuy due to return policies, so my in stock windows are even more narrow.

Honestly I would say to wait for the GM210s to come out, GM204 isn't really a step up for a 780 Ti. They will probably start releasing them in Q2 next year starting with a Titan 2 or x80. If they scale the same as GK204 to GM204 they should be nearly double the performance.

Honestly I would say to wait for the GM210s to come out, GM204 isn't really a step up for a 780 Ti. They will probably start releasing them in Q2 next year starting with a Titan 2 or x80. If they scale the same as GK204 to GM204 they should be nearly double the performance.

What product line does the GM210 correspond to?

These things seem to be impossible to find stock for.

ShopBLT.com has them on back order with an ETA of Sept 26th. Probably you're best bet on getting one ASAP. Order now and you should have it by the 29-30th(or at least that is what they told me)

Microcenter said they may get some in stock next Wednesday, and I think a lot of places will get stock on the 30th or so.

Oh, by the way the Fry's in Milton has some "back in stock". I'm kind of curious if those are still the messed up two that I tried out in circulation. It'd be fun to try out. Hey one of you folks in GA, go ahead and go over there and see what you get. =P

I'd go there but frankly I don't want to deal with them again, not after the last batch of crap. If you look at their google rating it's god awful too. I'm not sure how Fry's is staying in business. Inertia, I guess.

What product line does the GM210 correspond to?

GM210 Would be to GTX 980 what the Gtx 780/Ti/Titan(GK110) was to Gtx 680(GK104)

By all means it should be a large die Maxwell chip, most likely with more Vram and wider memory bus.

As for the monitor, on Amazon I've seen availability showing as Oct 11. I may just have to hold out until at the very least retailers can stop tacking on $100 on an already pricey piece of kit.

I was recently recommended an AOC Q2770PQU, how does the Asus compare to it?

I'm basically looking to swap out my U3011 for two 27inch, or adding two 20inch around the 30 to run PLP and I can't decide. How big of a change would it be going from the 30inch Dell IPS to the Asus? Any chance I'd regret it?

Does anyone happen to have the Asus monitor in a vertical over/under setup?

Ditto. Unless you run only at 120hz or lower, your card will not idle properly.

I know nvinspector allows you to force the GPU to idle with a tweak. I use to have an overclocked monitor that would prevent my GPU from downclocking on idle operations and the nvispector tool tweak fixed it. It would allow the GPU to go all the way down to 50hz when idle or doing light tasks.

Amazon has these in stock today. Just ordered one. Only one remains! GO GO GO!

edit - And gone. I hope one of you guys snagged it.

Last edited:
I bought two of these things (one for my arcade cabinet and one for my desktop), but one of them has a dead pixel. I got it from Tiger Direct. I have an RMA open with them right now, but I'm kind of bummed out about the shitty quality control on these things. If anyone wants to buy it off me, I'll sell it for what I paid for it and give you all the information you need to continue the RMA process. The dead pixel isn't even that bad, but I'm the kind of person who can't tolerate even one. I'm in the Bay Area, Silicon Valley. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I bought two of these things (one for my arcade cabinet and one for my desktop), but one of them has a dead pixel. I got it from Tiger Direct. I have an RMA open with them right now, but I'm kind of bummed out about the shitty quality control on these things. If anyone wants to buy it off me, I'll sell it for what I paid for it and give you all the information you need to continue the RMA process. The dead pixel isn't even that bad, but I'm the kind of person who can't tolerate even one. I'm in the Bay Area, Silicon Valley. Send me a PM if you're interested.

It's not about quality control. Dead pixels are a fact of LCD life. Even the most expensive monitors have them. Asus considers up to 5 on this monitor acceptable. If you truly only have one, and it's not in the center of the screen, then I'd say that's a pretty damn good monitor.

I had both dead and stuck pixels on mine which is why I returned it. I'm crossing my fingers for the one I just ordered from Amazon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wait a second. Are you guys sure that Amazon pays for return shipping?

I just read this on their site:

"If you return an item using the return label provided in the Online Returns Center, and the reason for return is not a result of an Amazon.com error, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund."

Might cancel my order if this is true.

"If you return an item using the return label provided in the Online Returns Center, and the reason for return is not a result of an Amazon.com error, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund."

Amazon is literally the best out there for sales and returns. If you cancel it youll find none better.

Amazon is literally the best out there for sales and returns. If you cancel it youll find none better.

Right... But that doesn't answer the question. Are they going to charge me for return shipping? Their policy seems to say yes. But I also chose free 2 day prime shipping. So does that mean that return shipping is free too?

I already got charged $60 to return my first one to TigerDirect. I'd rather not have to pay that again.

It's not about quality control. Dead pixels are a fact of LCD life. Even the most expensive monitors have them. Asus considers up to 5 on this monitor acceptable. If you truly only have one, and it's not in the center of the screen, then I'd say that's a pretty damn good monitor.

I had both dead and stuck pixels on mine which is why I returned it. I'm crossing my fingers for the one I just ordered from Amazon, but I'm not holding my breath.

I couldn't care less about what Asus considers acceptable. $800 monitors with TN panels shouldn't have a single dead pixel. Calling it a "fact of life" just shows how completely whipped most consumers are. It's completely unacceptable. Adding insult to injury is the fact that 9 out of 10 of these monitors have shit back lights. Really, I think half the reason matte finishes became so popular is because they obscure dead pixels and probably lead to fewer returns and more money for the companies.

I have a 30" HP monitor with zero dead pixels, and HP will return that monitor for basically any reason. Accepting less is foolish IMO.

Last edited:
Right... But that doesn't answer the question. Are they going to charge me for return shipping? Their policy seems to say yes. But I also chose free 2 day prime shipping. So does that mean that return shipping is free too?

I already got charged $60 to return my first one to TigerDirect. I'd rather not have to pay that again.

If there is a defect with the product they don't charge you. You print out a label and take it to UPS and amazon pays for it.

If you just return it because you decide you don't want it I have no idea.

They won't charge you if there is something "wrong" with the product. Just don't abuse it.

I couldn't care less about what Asus considers acceptable. $800 monitors with TN panels shouldn't have a single dead pixel. Calling it a "fact of life" just shows how completely whipped most consumers are. It's completely unacceptable. Adding insult to injury is the fact that 9 out of 10 of these monitors have shit back lights. Really, I think half the reason matte finishes became so popular is because they obscure dead pixels and probably lead to fewer returns and more money for the companies.

I have a 30" HP monitor with zero dead pixels, and HP will return that monitor for basically any reason. Accepting less is foolish IMO.

I also have a 30" HP (ZR30w). I've gone through about 5 of them and every single one had a few stuck pixels. You can find my thread where I was raging about it on this very forum.

If you know of some magic manufacturing process where you can guarantee 0 defective pixels out of nearly 4 million per monitor, please share. It's not a matter of being whipped, it's just not possible.

Your $800 isn't going towards some new revolutionary manufacturing process where dead pixels no longer exist. You're paying that for being an early adopter of 144Hz/GSYNC/ULMB.

I also have a 30" HP (ZR30w). I've gone through about 5 of them and every single one had a few stuck pixels. You can find my thread where I was raging about it on this very forum.

If you know of some magic manufacturing process where you can guarantee 0 defective pixels out of nearly 4 million per monitor, please share. It's not a matter of being whipped, it's just not possible.

Your $800 isn't going towards some new revolutionary manufacturing process where dead pixels no longer exist. You're paying that for being an early adopter of 144Hz/GSYNC/ULMB.

Yep, same issues with the Dell 30", I went through 2 before I got a good one.

Some manufacturers tend to have less stuck pixels than others. Out of my 8 LCDs I haven't had a single bad pixel. Most of them are ViewSonic who seem to be one of the best as far as dead pixels go. But they still happen, none are perfect yet.

Some manufacturers tend to have less stuck pixels than others. Out of my 8 LCDs I haven't had a single bad pixel. Most of them are ViewSonic who seem to be one of the best as far as dead pixels go. But they still happen, none are perfect yet.

In my experience Viewsonic is no better, had to change a few because of dead pixels. Had a 30" Dell that had a dead pixel and one that would show up as red on white backgrounds. Didn't bother me for the about 4-5 years I owned it. Funny thing is that when I sold the display, those dead/stuck pixels had somehow disappeared. No matter how I tried I could no longer find them.

On a display this size and resolution, a dead pixel isn't very noticeable if it's not in the center. Stuck pixels are far worse though. Personally I had great luck and got a PG278Q with no dead pixels and a fairly uniform panel.

If dead pixels are a deal breaker, simply buy from a place that has a no-questions-asked return policy.

Sent mine back. Feels good. It's a cool piece of tech, but the quality control is pretty bad, and the image quality was just too big of a downgrade. As far as I'm concerned, it's not anywhere near good enough of a display to be worth $800.

Sent mine back. Feels good. It's a cool piece of tech, but the quality control is pretty bad, and the image quality was just too big of a downgrade. As far as I'm concerned, it's not anywhere near good enough of a display to be worth $800.
Good to know. I'm looking forward to my OC'able 1440p IPS for $500 instead. Asus is raping just b/c it has G-Sync.

Did some more experimenting with this monitor on the weekend with BF4. After a the better part of a week using ULMB at 120Hz, I switched back to Gsync at 144Hz. It's a little smoother experience for sure, I was getting some stuttering in ULMB but it was too blurry compared to ULMB, I gave it a solid hour or so and then decided I'd try lowering the ULMB to 85 as someone suggested since I don't have the power to maintain 120 fps. This worked quite nicely and since I'm above 85 fps 95% of the time it was smoother and in my opinion far superior to gsync for fps games.

Working on nailing down my choices for an x99/SLI 980 build and ideally I'll get a little closer to that 120 fps mark for an even better experience.

In the mean time anybody have any other suggestions to get it running even smoother? I've heard of people limiting their frame rates and throwing on adaptive vsync and triple buffering. Is that real thing?

Still blown away by this monitor for fps gaming, amazing, amazing, amazing.

Anyone tries running World of Tanks on it ? Can it reach stable 120 fps to use ULMB or is g-sync mandatory due to cpu bottlenecks ?

Good to know. I'm looking forward to my OC'able 1440p IPS for $500 instead. Asus is raping just b/c it has G-Sync.

And 2560x1440.

You see any other monitor out there with those specs?

2560x 27" g-sync/ulmb mode... intentionally mfg's to be 120hz-144hz.

And repeatedly overlooked by the ips comment people ... 1ms response time.

not even close when it comes to motion clarity on the ROG Swift, and if you're talking ULMB mode then there really is no comparison.

as soon as things start moving (especially quickly) the image on the Swift looks almost as good as it did when still, meanwhile the Korean is displaying a smeary mess.

Incorrect. Overclocking such a panel does nothing to increase pixel transition speed. It's still sample and hold with really slow IPS pixels. I've owned 7+ "overclock" 1440p monitors, and my fastest 2B would do ~136 Hz.

It still could never do under 10ms in the MPRT test. The pixels operate at the same transition speed they do at 60 Hz. Just as a comparison, Lightboost at 10% gives a MPRT of 1.4ms. That is over seven times clearer motion than an overclock 120+ HZ IPS monitor. The difference is massive. The increased "smoothness" of the increased refresh rate only makes the image feel smoother, it does virtually nothing for motion clarity which is completely different.

depends what you select for the reason you returning the product, If you choose to return it because you don't like it for whatever reason then you pay for the return.

but if you select that the item is defective or doesn't work properly then Amazon pays for the return label, all you have to do is print the label and wait for UPS to come and pick it up two days later.

Hey guys... I managed to pick up the monitor today and I don't know if this is a defect or some sort of option but, the monitor seems to dim itself at certain times or it might be a slight color shift when I'm playing games. Is this some sort of option or part of g sync that I'm missing here?

Back