ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

I am so glad my F5ing was not quick enough to land one of these on Launch day.....and by launch day I mean piece, of shit lazy half assed, corner cutting, attempted product release. I am usually the beta tester on hardware like this and it actually feels nice to watch from the side lines this go around.

And yes, all you punks with AMD cards had no business purchasing a SWIFT on launch. You knew AMD cards were not going to be properly supported, yet you stole spaces inline from us deserving Nvidia fanbois instead ;)

I don't understand what you mean. My Swift is perfect.

I don't understand what you mean. My Swift is perfect.

Yours is, but many peoples' aren't. For $800 there should be some consistent QC, not a bunch of monitors with dead pixels and horrible backlight uniformity, among other issues.

Yours is, but many peoples' aren't. For $800 there should be some consistent QC, not a bunch of monitors with dead pixels and horrible backlight uniformity, among other issues.

I can agree with that. I can mostly kind of deal with the one stuck pixel on this new one (and am currently testing it while working from home by leaving Payday 2 in idle mode on 144Hz while occasionally turning the camera), but really an 800$ monitor shouldn't have these issues. My backlight uniformity on this one isn't that great, either, but it's not as bad as that one guy's above.

I also find the "I don't get what you're talking about, because my personal experience is perfect. I do not have eyes that can see these other people having issues in order to understand" lines to be hilarious. I mean really? So if there was a piece of hardware that had a 99% failure rate and you got the 1 out of 100 that were released that actually worked right, you'd still say this crap? The correct line is "I understand where you folks are coming from, but I guess I just got lucky". Well supposing you have any sympathy/empathy at all, and a working head.

Anyway, the blur reduction really is a major thing though. When I put games back onto my Qnix it's a fricken massive difference. So I'd like this one to work. But if it doesn't, it doesn't.

Since out of range topic came up I'll mention that my 120hz 27" 1080p samsung monitor has always had this issue. I used to have it on a long run from an amd 6990 along with an ACD 2560x1440. There were both on long, heavy 24awg mini dp extension cables. The 2560x 60hz acd never had any screen blank-blinks, out of range, or out of range on wakeup issues but the 120hz 1080p one did. I kept a short 1' mini dp to dp (the monitor) junction at the extension cable on top of my desk so I could disconnect the 1080 120hz and reconnect it on monitor wakeup. Other than being out of range on monitor wake-up, it very rarely would drop to out of range.

When I switched to a nvidia 780ti , I couldn't even run both of them at the same time (the ACD was on a powered dvi to minidp adapter). Even running the 27" 1080p singly, I would often get screen blank blinks and out of range "constantly".. much, much more often and annoying than amd. I have to suspect that displayport signals or connectors are not that great in general, and that nvidia's displayport signals/outs might be even weaker. At least on my setup comparing the 6990 to the 780ti (on a 25'+ heavy gauge run) - they are very much weaker.

It's supposed to be fixed in an Nvidia driver fix according to ASUS ROG forums. Displayport should not be the issue as I've been getting the problem with 60 Hz only. Before I used a Dell 3008WFP (2560x1600 @ 60 Hz) for years with Displayport on a much older GPU without any issue.

So it's either shitty firmware, shitty Nvidia drivers or both. Hopefully just drivers as updating the display firmware is probably going to require sending it back to ASUS unless it can somehow be done via DP.

To all the people crying about AMD users having a Swift:

slothdealwithit.gif

My monitor is perfect too ;)

And yes, all you punks with AMD cards had no business purchasing a SWIFT on launch. You knew AMD cards were not going to be properly supported, yet you stole spaces inline from us deserving Nvidia fanbois instead ;)
This guy gets it. (Bemused annoyance)
^^^^^
This I cannot get my hands on one and these knuckleheads are purchasing something for $800 that they cannot even fully use several key features of. Derp
This guy may not. (Actual annoyance)

Correct me if I've misread someone's tone on the internet.

I suspect nobody here knows how many units were sold to date. What we do know is this is the first display of its kind, using new technology. Their engineers couldn't possibly test all hardware and software permutations and nobody knows how long the retail version was tested for. I see many people huffing and puffing about no stock and a late release. Also see owners complaining about problems without posting details. If you aren't happy with the purchase, contact the manufacturer, state the facts on these forums, wait for a fix or return it but don't cry on the internet like a bitch. As with all things serial number one, I recommend waiting and reading or buying and providing a detailed review. Also, buy from a merchant with no restocking fee.

I bought several U3011's and it took 3 or 4 revisions for Dell to fix the custom color bug. I had to wait a long ass time but in the end they made it right. If there are widespread problems, hopefully Asus will...but most of us have read horror stories about RMA's for their motherboards and gpu's.

I suspect nobody here knows how many units were sold to date. What we do know is this is the first display of its kind, using new technology. Their engineers couldn't possibly test all hardware and software permutations and nobody knows how long the retail version was tested for. I see many people huffing and puffing about no stock and a late release. Also see owners complaining about problems without posting details. If you aren't happy with the purchase, contact the manufacturer, state the facts on these forums, wait for a fix or return it but don't cry on the internet like a bitch. As with all things serial number one, I recommend waiting and reading or buying and providing a detailed review. Also, buy from a merchant with no restocking fee.

I bought several U3011's and it took 3 or 4 revisions for Dell to fix the custom color bug. I had to wait a long ass time but in the end they made it right. If there are widespread problems, hopefully Asus will...but most of us have read horror stories about RMA's for their motherboards and gpu's.

Ah yes, the corporate apologist. I love these guys....yes, yes us underlings should be grateful that we get to lick the soiled boots of these Godly companies....how dare we complain when they cut corners and deliver a subpar product. Shame on US!!!

And I know how many Rog Swifts were released, according to my calculations ASUS released EXACTLY 5 Rog Swifts on release day, which is all that would fit on the saipan. And as far as the swift being some new unused technology....ROFL....just ROFL. LCD & LED panel tech has been around for three thousand years and Nsync has been around since 1995 so IDK WTF you are talking about....seriously its not like the Rog is the Holodeck dude.....Oh wait I forgot its also 1440p which has only been around for two thousand years :p

Wtf is the internet for if not to cry like a bitch? Ok yeah. Meaningful exchange of ideas and information. Right.

What have the Romans ever done for us?

Well... The aqueduct.

Oh right. The aqueduct. But besides that.

The roads?

I finally got a chance to play with the Swift that showed up the other day. Some thoughts/observations:

1) I have what appears to be some "brighter" pixels in the bottom left. There are about four of them. I can't say they are stuck, because they turn black, but they are otherwise several shades lighter than anything around them. It's odd.

2) G-Sync isn't working with my SLI + PhysX card setup. This apparently is a known issue.

3) 144Hz is great for smoothing out the desktop.

I really wish I didn't have the pixel anomaly (maybe it will go away), because this is a nice screen otherwise (assuming they fix the drivers).

Edit: Also, the i1 Display Pro made this screen look hugely better. It was able to adjust brightness, contrast, and the RGB settings for me automatically.

This guy gets it. (Bemused annoyance)

This guy may not. (Actual annoyance)

Correct me if I've misread someone's tone on the internet.

I jest...mostly. I do think youre a Dnozzle if youre rolling an AMD card , purchased and are complaining about the Swift tho. other than that I jest

Got one of these... So I kinda wish Eizo would make a larger version of their monitor. TN gonna TN. You know, contrast ratio and stuff... Oh well, there's always OLED - a couple of years from now, maybe.

My Experience:

-Received monitor, had no gpu's due to selling off my 680's to wait and grab 2x 880's.

-Setup monitor with onboard video, but could not load .icc file as didnt have hd4000 drivers installed(didn't want to).

-Found one what appears to be a dead pixel in the bottom left hand corner after flicking through full color screens of all colors.

- Decided i will keep monitor anyway as hardly noticeable and cbf posting back etc etc.

-Found that when monitor goes to sleep, upon waking up monitor will show no signal followed by a black screen, found this also happens if i turn off monitor while pc is still running, then turn monitor back on. Only fix for this is to hard reset pc, unplugging DP cable or power to monitor does not solve issue.

-Couldn't fight back urge to try monitor out, purchased evga superclocked 780ti for the interim.

-Installed GPU drivers, followed by TFT's icc profile. Also used TFT's monitor settings.

-Made sure gsync was turned on and was at 144hz.

-Overclock GPU in Afterburner. Run multiple passes of Heaven, ALOT smoother than in the past, though still shows some slight microstuttering.

-Once on stable overclock load up Bioshock Infinite, found game crashing 1 minute in, dial back overclocks a lil, still crashing, return to stock clocks, all is good.(found it will crash with any OC at all, not display related).

- Crank all settings in bioshock infinite, proceed to pick up jaw from floor. The smoothness is unreal,this is a game changer.

-Played for few hours without a hiccup, monitor worked beautifully, and wasn't producing alot of heat as i was constantly checking.

tl;dr I am very picky with stuttering/tearing of any kind. With that in mind,i think i have had the best gaming experience in my life following a few hours with this monitor and Bioshock Infinite, the smoothness is out of this world and totally changes how i look at these games. In the past i would download the game then dread either having tearing, or having to use vsync, both of which i hate. Overall, so far, very happy with the purchase.

Edit: Realized i hadn't commented on the colors. The colors are fantastic, especially for TN, sitting it next to my 270 Catleap they are not too far behind at all, impressive.(from a gaming point of view,can't comment on photo editing etc.)

Last edited:
Third party (not Amazon.com) and overcharging + $94, didn't bother to check shipping. . Also question whether they actually have it in stock

Third party (not Amazon.com) and overcharging + $94, didn't bother to check shipping. . Also question whether they actually have it in stock

I'm wondering about that too but it suddenly back it's back in stock and sold by Amazon. Now there are 13 units left.

Does anyone else's turbo button not do anything? All it does it show me the current refresh rate. Doesn't actually change it.

Does anyone else's turbo button not do anything? All it does it show me the current refresh rate. Doesn't actually change it.

I would suggest don't use that button, Use you graphics card software to change refresh rate.

Got mine in today. My initial impressions

Good
- G-Sync really makes a big deal when you're between 50-100fps. I have to say, it feels really "odd" still right now with it on, but in awesome way. Not having your images tear on you really gives the impression of a clearer picture and makes it easier to track objects on the move. I just played PS2 which has a fluctuating frame rate anywhere from 40 to 120, and the game felt smoother and cleaner with G-Sync 1440p then running 1080p on my BenQ. Nvidia users - you are in for a real treat with G-Sync. It is fantastic.
- Colors are great for a TN. They are definitely comparable to my Dell IPS. The Dell's colors still seem slightly better, but I also calibrated that, where as I haven't done anything with the ASUS. And the difference compared to my 6+2 bit BenQ TN is huge.

Bad
- The AG coating is terrible. I can see a hatching pattern against light background. It's not something I notice in game, but in still images it just jumps out at me.

That's it for now. Back to gaming! :D

I found the turbo button only works on certain drivers. But then some drivers are missing 144hz. I have a 660ti and i'm using 340.72 drivers that I found on another website which gives me a working turbo button and 144hz.

bah I just missed amazon itself selling in stock. After I posted that reply I went out shopping and hadn't checked here or the vendor pages on my phone for awhile. I'm being pretty patient about it and hopefully they will continue to stock them going forward.

Mine has 3 stuck pixels and 1 dead pixel.

Every damn monitor I buy has defects, it's ridiculous. What's particularly painful is the astronomical price of this monitor. This thing should be absolutely pristine for the price.

I might just return mine and be done with it. I don't think I can play the panel lottery anymore. Retailers will not tolerate it. I know for a fact that Amazon will refuse returns after the 2nd or so when it comes to returning expensive hardware for OCD reasons. I'm sure other retailers are the same.

Got mine today and been playing with it a bit tonight. No dead or stuck pixels that I've seen so far, but I haven't done a thorough check yet. Coming from a 60Hz panel this thing is absolutely insane. I can notice the improved refresh rate on my desktop just moving my mouse around.

Playing CS:GO, I am immediately struck by what the experience reminds me of: The first time I saw The Hobbit in HFR at the theater. Compared to my U3014 at 60Hz everything looks "brighter" and smoother. Not more real necessarily, but certainly different. Maybe it's realism, maybe it's something else. Regardless, it's an absolute game changer. In a fast shooter like CS, peeking is completely different. I'm only playing on a 64 tick server, but it still feels like I've been given an advantage during peeks, whether I'm holding an angle or doing the peeking. How much of this is placebo effect I can't say, but it certainly feels better.

Mine has 3 stuck pixels and 1 dead pixel.

Every damn monitor I buy has defects, it's ridiculous. What's particularly painful is the astronomical price of this monitor. This thing should be absolutely pristine for the price.

I might just return mine and be done with it. I don't think I can play the panel lottery anymore. Retailers will not tolerate it. I know for a fact that Amazon will refuse returns after the 2nd or so when it comes to returning expensive hardware for OCD reasons. I'm sure other retailers are the same.

If you're basing that off of my VP2770 review, that's not quite true. What happens is that they stop accepting replacements and just make you return the item if the reasons for your returns are close enough together. That is, apparently your reason needs to be distinctly different enough each time.

Whining on the internet is a perfectly valid choice of action as it lets others know that there are plenty of possible issues with the panel. And fact of the matter is many of these issues don't depend on your hardware or setup in any way.

Did my last one have two stuck pixels because of my hardware? Is the backlight on these pretty uneven because of my hardware? Did my last one seriously start spazzing out and making text fuzzy and discoloring crap because of my 780 SLI combo (which I would think is a standard enough setup to warrant being an ASUS test station)? It just couldn't handle the power?

Now I could understand driver issues as in Signal Out of Range and problems with the refresh rate and G-Sync, but there are issues where the HW on the user end doesn't really bear reporting.

Currently still testing this new one by leaving it idle in Payday 2 (left it looking at some guy smoking a cig in casing mode) at 144Hz. I went and took a nap. Overall it's been fine thus far. Probably been doing this test for about 8 or so hours now. Will continue while taking my usual hour long walk.

Last edited:
If you're basing that off of my VP2770 review, that's not quite true. What happens is that they stop accepting replacements and just make you return the item if the reasons for your returns are close enough together. That is, apparently your reason needs to be distinctly different enough each time.

My bad, I meant that they will refuse exchanges and just give you your money back. It only took two returns of an expensive camera lens before they said "since the 3rd one is likely to have the same problem, we are refunding you".

My bad, I meant that they will refuse exchanges and just give you your money back. It only took two returns of an expensive camera lens before they said "since the 3rd one is likely to have the same problem, we are refunding you".

Hah, so exact same story as me, then. Good to know it's a consistent behavior. The person you're speaking to doesn't matter. I had to explain to them that the reason was not exactly the same each time, but I stopped on the third VP2770 nonetheless. That one was defective too. That's when I just went and got a Qnix instead.

Something else about this monitor.. When I scroll through text that is white, I see the color of the text turn to a green color. This also happens with the mouse cursor.

Thats what I thought it was too, so I turned overdrive off yet the problem still exists.

What do you mean by green? Can you get a wall of text up and perhaps set a camera into repeated photographing mode (something like 5 fast shots in a row) and then do some fast scrolling? If you'll notice when my panel was utterly crapping out on me, in one of the screenshots I have a page or two back, the white bars on the quote boxes were literally green (aside from many other things being messed up). That panel may be a dud waiting to happen.

Thats what I thought it was too, so I turned overdrive off yet the problem still exists.

Its normal. They are some slight green halos around objects such as mouse cursors and window borders when moving things around.

Static images should not have halo effects though.

For those who have hit or miss turbo overclock button issues - unplug the DP cable from either end and re-seat it. Mine does the same thing, and this seems to fix it most of the time. My 144hz setting seems to be MIA as well from time to time - and can usually be fixed the same way.

For those who have hit or miss turbo overclock button issues - unplug the DP cable from either end and re-seat it. Mine does the same thing, and this seems to fix it most of the time. My 144hz setting seems to be MIA as well from time to time - and can usually be fixed the same way.
My turbo button seems to work fine now, although it didn't when I had just got the monitor plugged in for the first time. I have noticed the turbo button consistently does not work when I have the NVIDIA control panel open. I think the turbo button and the control panel get into a fight over the setting and the button loses.

Back