ASUS Announces PCE-AC88

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS today announced PCE-AC88, a dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi PCI Express® (PCIe®) adapter that instantly upgrades a desktop PC to the latest ultra-fast wireless standard. PCE-AC88 is the first PCIe adapter to feature a 4x4 (4 transmit, 4 receive) MIMO design that delivers AC3100-class speeds of up to 2100Mbps on the 5GHz band and 1000Mbps on the 2.4GHz band. For the best signal reception, PCE-AC88 includes a magnetic antenna base that allows flexible placement of the four detachable external antennas on any suitable surface. PCE-AC88 allows PC users to take advantage of the latest high-speed 802.11ac routers, which offer wireless speeds that match or exceed wired Gigabit Ethernet networking speeds. When paired with a 4x4 802.11ac router, PCE-AC88 unleashes the full performance and coverage potential of the 4x4 MIMO technology, but it is also backward-compatible with all existing Wi-Fi standards.

Woohoo! I've been waiting for an adapter like this before I made the jump to an 802.11ac router and ditched the ethernet cabling strung out on the floor of my apartment.

Are these really equivalent to or better than having a hard wire? is Jitter not a problem with wireless while gaming?

Last time I used wireless to game was my 802.11B adapter for the original Xbox.

Are these really equivalent to or better than having a hard wire? is Jitter not a problem with wireless while gaming?

I have no first-hand experience with the current tech for gaming purposes, but wi-fi has come a LONG way since 802.11b, especially with a high-end router that has gaming-centric features.

I play Overwatch on wifi, approx 15feet through two walls and i've yet to notice anything. It's a 150mbit or so wifi signal. 100mbit comcast.
I used to be hardcore TFC / TF2 / BF3 / fps gamer.

Im using a USB Asus AC Reciever.

Last edited:
I have the Asus last generation card and it works great! It is connecting to an AC-1600 Netgear R6250 which is behind my television in the living room. Computer in bedroom on same floor about 30 feet away. I have noticed zero issues and would not be able to tell that I was on wireless by feel alone. I would feel confident recommending this for gamers.

Theoretical link rate is faster then gigabit, but we live in the real wold so that isn't going to happen. Dropped packets and retransmits don't happen much on a wired LAN, but they will always on wireless.

This is about throughput. Adding more channels and spatial streams doesn't decrease latency or reduce jitter - unless your current channel is already clogged.

Things have gotten much better as far as wireless goes, but wired > wireless.

Unless you're only using the wireless, and doing peer to peer transfers at 5 Ghz, I doubt you'll ever go over 125 MB/s at a steady rate. Still nice to have a wireless card that's as fast though. Also keep in mind wireless is only half-duplex.

There is absolutely no way that WiFi can beat a hard-wired connection unless you have a reeeeeaally shitty LAN connection (poor drivers, bad cable, etc.)

WiFi is a hub connection. It's the equivalent of screaming down a hallway to have a conversation when all your neighbors are doing the exact same thing. You so much as put one other device on the network, there will be dropped packets due to two devices transmitting at the same time. This results in some pieces of data being re-transmitted or simply dropped altogether. It doesn't happen that often, but it DOES happen. It will also happen more often when more wireless devices are on the network. That's why those Time Warner Cable commercials where 50 neighbors come over to someone's house is such bullshit. You could have infinite bandwidth and it wouldn't change this simple fact.

Wired connections are switched. It's the equivalent of talking down a hallway to someone else when there are no other neighbors. No collisions occur. Packets rarely get dropped, and when they do its due to an overloaded connection or bad wiring/electromagnetic interference. There's a few other scenarios, but you get the point.

That being said, decent WiFi connections can get within spitting distance of the performance of a wired connection. They will never surpass a wired connection.

Can't wait to get this one. Good for me, I was delaying to get 68 one.

1000Mbps on 2.4GHz? Unless I'm mistaken, that requires 4 non-overlapping 20MHz channels with 64-QAM modulation. In the US, there isn't enough spectrum for it and odds are there will be other 2.4GHz radiators in the vicinity which would make it a pipe dream even if the appropriate channels were available.

Anyone knows when they are going to be available? Saw somewhere that its going to be between 17-20 July..

Back