ASUS Announces MG278Q 27" 144Hz FreeSync Gaming Monitor

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS today announced MG278Q, a 27-inch widescreen-quad-high-definition (WQHD) display designed for professional gaming. It features an almost-instantaneous 1ms response time; as well as an incredible 144Hz refresh rate and AMD® FreeSync™ technology for smooth, seamless gameplay. MG278Q has an ergonomic design, and has Ultra-Low Blue Light and Flicker-Free technologies to protect users’ eyes during marathon gaming sessions. ASUS-exclusive enhancements like GamePlus and GameVisual technologies give users an advantage in the gaming arena.

Another worthless monitor. Does anyone sell a 16:10 120Hz+ IPS yet?

Monoprice showed one at CES but it's still not on their website. The other 120Hz/144Hz IPS monitors I've seen are all 16:9 and I hate 16:9 monitors.

Basically the Benq XL2730Z without the strobing / PG279Q with Freesync.

I guess all of the major companies will eventually have their own Freesync and G-sync variants of monitors with both the 27" 1440p 144hz TN panel and AUO's 27" 1440p 144hz IPS panel.

"I have an idea... Lets add 'gaming' to the title and charge a 40% markup."
Everyone in the room applauds.

Personally I just want a $300-400 1440p 60hz gsync ips. I dont need/want a 144hz $800 version. I just want vsync to go away...

Then again the cheap freesyncs are a joke, 44-90fps sync, really?

Personally I just want a $300-400 1440p 60hz gsync ips. I dont need/want a 144hz $800 version. I just want vsync to go away...

Agreed. Free Sync is kind of a sick joke really.

Nixeus has a 30Hz - 144Hz FreeSync. It is completely dependent on what the monitor manufacturers want to implement. In the cases where the lower end FreeSync is say 40, what you want to do is set your graphics to maintain a solid 60FPS at all times. If you hit a section of the game where your FPS would dip, it shouldn't drop below 45 if you adjusted it for a solid 60.

Nixeus has a 30Hz - 144Hz FreeSync. It is completely dependent on what the monitor manufacturers want to implement. In the cases where the lower end FreeSync is say 40, what you want to do is set your graphics to maintain a solid 60FPS at all times. If you hit a section of the game where your FPS would dip, it shouldn't drop below 45 if you adjusted it for a solid 60.

TN

http://www.nixeus.com/?product=nixeus-vue-24

Good luck with that with current Gsync tax :p
Then you bitch that cheap FreeSync is a joke because of 44-90fps, when you just requested a 60Hz monitor? :rolleyes:

Really, I don't even want that much.

I want the IPS panel used in the XB270HU,
I want properly implemented and controllable backlight strobe. 120hz is enough.
That's it.

No Freesync or Gsync labels necessary.

The XL2720Z from BenQ showed me what perfect strobing can do. As long as you have control of it, and when it will single or double strobe, you have a nearly perfect monitor.

If we could get those features combined with the new fast IPS 1440 panel, that would be heaven.

And probably no more than $550.

But no one is doing it.

Last edited:
Good luck with that with current Gsync tax :p
Then you bitch that cheap FreeSync is a joke because of 44-90fps, when you just requested a 60Hz monitor? :rolleyes:

Dont know if you have been keeping up, but gsync with frame rates dropping to 15-20fps still "rates" alot smoother that vsync 60hz. On the other hand people do not seem to like freesync below 60fps for some reason, and for some reason the lowest freesync is about 45fps. I dont know how the behavior changes.

Either way as i stated, $300-400 for a 1440p ips with "some" sync just so i can turn off vsync.

Hell for $250 I should be able to get a 1080p ips (60hz panel) with the "some" sync scaler in it. Thats all it is, a scaler/interface, why it adds $200 to the cost of the monitor i will never know.

Hell this whole "sync" thing was supposed to be a thing of the past when the magical dvi conntector came out making refresh rates a thing of the past.

I'm already over 1440p, even though my rig can easily handle 1440p at 3 years old, I'm just going to wait and get a 40" 4k 60hz display. There are already ips models under $800.

I'm already over 1440p, even though my rig can easily handle 1440p at 3 years old, I'm just going to wait and get a 40" 4k 60hz display. There are already ips models under $800.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UPVXDA8/?tag=extension-kb-20

If this guy is $550 on black friday i might be reallllllly thinking about it :)

And then i just saw this guy listed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160226

Gsync and freesync might get a little easier if the dam things didnt require you to only have a display port for an input.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Like others here, I can't go back to TN panels. I'd rather take 60Hz IPS than 144Hz TN. I hope 4k IPS will go down in price in the near future.

RzGTLjFh.jpg

Acceptable light bleed? Screen looks worst than it is, but its the blue coming from the bottom/bottom right and slightly from the right. The monitor is perfect otherwise, no bad pixels.

Old thread but I have to disagree with the above statements.

144hz "ips" panels (ahva) are loaded with problems. Ghosting, blur, backlight bleed, dead pixels.

8-bit TN panels offer almost as good color when viewed at the correct angle (less shiny, though, I think the ips craze is all about those shiny colors), and better working freesync, better response time, and lack of quality issues.

I just purchased this because of 144hz ips horror stories. I'll take the benefit of fluid motion and response over popping colors.

TN still has value until 144hz 1440p ips is viable consumer tech.

Back