ASUS Announces 970 Pro Gaming/Aura

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS today announced 970 Pro Gaming/Aura, the world’s first motherboard based on the highly-anticipated AMD® 970+SB950 chipset, with official NVIDIA® SLI™ certification for epic up to quad-GPU graphics, plus integrated Aura RGB — the all-new, awesome illumination technology invented by ASUS. As the latest member of the value-packed ASUS Pro Gaming series, 970 Pro Gaming/Aura has multiple exclusive features for superior gaming experiences. These include gaming-grade Intel® Gigabit Ethernet with ASUS LANGuard and GameFirst technologies for fast, safe and lag-free networking, and SupremeFX with Sonic Radar II for flawless in-game audio that keeps 970 Pro Gaming/Aura gamers one step ahead on the battlefield.

Compatible with the latest processors for the AMD AM3+ socket, 970 Pro Gaming/Aura delivers flexible cooling with a dedicated water-pump header, plus intuitive Fan Xpert controls. The new board also has the very latest connectivity built in, including USB 3.1 Type-A and NVM Express™ (NVMe) M.2. Exclusive RAMCache technology accelerates game loads, durable Gamer’s Guardian components ensure longevity, and smart DIY features protect users and ease every build.

Very interesting feature set usb 3.1 and an intel nic could this be a reference for what we will see on am4 boards.

when my am3+ board dies i have a good option now :D

I wonder what power phasing it has. Very few boards can support the FX9xxx processors and their 220w.

Sounds good...but I don't exhibit my internals, so any board lighting is just wasted for me. Hey, more power to the guys who have open/visible internals. My box sits beneath the desk. (Or inside an HTPC box.)

Quad xfire? I've been gun-shy on multi-gpu setups for a long time.

Oh...forgot to add: 970 is not a great moniker, what with Nvidia having the GTX970. Sure, mobo vs. gpu, but still...

I've been buying AMD for awhile (and intel/nvidia). I hope this works for them.

Last edited:
Oh...forgot to add: 970 is not a great moniker, what with Nvidia having the GTX970. Sure, mobo vs. gpu, but still...

It's not Asus's fault. I wasn't kidding when I said the chipset is five years old. You're going to run into renaming issues eventually :D

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/chipsets/9-series#

One thing that surprises me is their support for multiple GPUs on the 970 chipset. The official spec says:

Support for one Radeon HD Graphics boards: PCI Express® 2.0 technologies enable 1x16 graphic boards for a great everyday computing experience.

So they had to hack the multi-board support in with a PLX chip or something. Is AMD just charging a ridiculous price for the 990FX now, or is there another reason Asus hacked multi-GPU support onto x16 PCIe 2.0?

I feel for the poor idiots who buy this board to run quad CFX - 2GBps per-GPU will really castrate performance.

Quick Question: Why do they advertise Quad-GPU support on a mobo with only two PCI-e x16 slots?

How does that work? I also don't get the point of adding RGB LEDs to an already colored motherboard. You really need the motherboard to be a monochrome color if you have custom color LEDs.

Quick Question: Why do they advertise Quad-GPU support on a mobo with only two PCI-e x16 slots?

How does that work? I also don't get the point of adding RGB LEDs to an already colored motherboard. You really need the motherboard to be a monochrome color if you have custom color LEDs.

It's a quality budget board with a few new shinnies goodies added to it.

Why, it supports TWO of the mystery Fury x2 card that everyone says is going to launch next week*

*Has not launched for the last six months, despite rumors every other week.

If someone is undecided on whether to purchase this or not, fret not, it is worth it. I have one in my machine now and it is working very well. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Oh, and it does support the 9590 and 9370 but, I bought the FX 8300 and then overclocked it/

when my am3+ board dies i have a good option now :D
What world do you live in where you regularly expect your motherboard to die?

I have systems that have been up and running in my house 24/7 for the last 6-7 years with no signs of stopping... I don't think I've had a motherboard die on me since my Pentium III days, and those just went due to cheap capacitors (fixable). The newer boards I bought all have really good caps on them and I haven't had any issues.

-- Dave

Welp, my board is doing quite well so far. I have the FX 8300 overclocked to 4.5 Ghz at 1.4250v, LLC on Very High and NB LLC on High. I have to say I am extremely happy with the setup I have which I ended up paying only $207 and change. ($287 - $50 from Amex -$20 for newegg giftcard -$10 for motherboard mail in rebate.) That was with 16GB DDR3 HyperX 1866 ram, the board and the FX 8300 processor.

This computer is stupid fast and not worth replacing at this time. Perhaps in a couple of years when hardware is noticeably faster without a fps meter, then I will upgrade.

Back