Asus and their USELESS warranty. (they are at least trying now)

Rauelius, we appreciate your feedback and glad to hear you're happy with our resolution to this case. We're working diligently to have the replacement sent your way as quickly as possible. If you need any further updates on your RMA, you can reach out to us here via DM or email our Social Media Support team at [email protected]. Please do let us know how things go once you receive your unit. (y)

Thank you for keeping in touch with me, here, I haven't head from Twitter yet, but I understand that this may take some time.

Because absolutely NONE of the hardware review sites will EVER post it as front page news. Even [H] never did this. It only ever gets buried in forum posts that end up popping up every few weeks/months.
No real coverage = absolutely no change in business practice.

This is the exact reason companies keep getting away with this type of practice. Same goes for inflated pricing on products. If the sheep buy in to the $1200 gpu prices on launch and keep doing so they will continue to raise pricing. If very few to no people purchase products at high prices companies will be forced to lower pricing and become more "logical". If they didn't they would be out of business.

Alas much like companies repair, qc, software support after initial life (Asus is terrible with this), etc if it's not blasted on media to be in the light they will continue to get away with it over and over again. Peoples word of mouth although effective isn't enough alone to make these huge deep pocketed advertisement hungry companies accountable to where they adjust their practices.

Personally if I have to send something in for RMA I expect to receive a working product back. After all that is what the RMA process is for. Send in a non working item and receive a tested and fully working item in return whether it be your original item repaired, a working repaired replacement, or new sealed replacement. (For argument sake I've seen above) Everyone and their brother expects a brand new item to be fully functional but sometimes this isn't the case which sucks but it does happen. There is no guarantee a new sealed item will work or will fully function but that is the ideal scenario anyway. In that case rinse and repeat.

I too have had my fair share of problems with Asus RMA from receiving the same item back that they obviously didn't bother to check and repair due to still having the same exact problem to being sent replacement motherboards with bent pins. I've also gotten a few non functioning replacements from them in the past too. Yes the QC is horrible or has been in the past and really needs a complete overhaul as it isn't the proper way to run a business. Again as mentioned previously if they aren't held accountable then things won't change.

I'm also not sure if Asus supplies Newegg with white boxed reman boards or not but I've been dealing with Newegg as of yesterday with a purchase I made during the open box sale. What I ordered was an open box Maximus XI Formula. What I received yesterday instead was a plain white box reman XI Hero with dual stickers on the box. The sticker on the right side clearly stated Maximus XI Hero and manufactured product at the bottom of the sticker. The sticker on the left clearly stated Maximus XI Formula. (Which is probably how I ended up with it)

Looking at the serial numbers on each sticker they both matched the serial on the back of the Hero board. So if Asus supplies Newegg with reman boards they are going about it wrong and not labeling the boxes right by any means which in turn is another QC problem that apparently hasn't been sorted out yet.

Then again don't get me started on why Newegg shipped a reman board when an open box board is what was sold. Those are two completely different things. They have two separate categories on their site just for those two specific product categories. So if someone purchases an open box product (which is a new product but open box) don't send them a reman product (which is a used product that has gone back to the manufacture for "claimed" testing and repair).

As far as I can remember Asus has backed their product by serial number warranty. Therefore a refurb product is only what 90 days warranty I believe. An open box product is still a new product and not remanufactured therefore it still carries the manufacturers warranty.

So there is a drastic difference in an open box product and a reman product. There is also a substantial price different between the two. An open box product is lightly discounted off retail where a reman product carries a considerably larger discount off retail. This practice of pricing has gone on for ages.

Last edited:
Chances are higher that a refurbished card is defective, than a brand new card is defective. Your example/argument is invalid. Though to be fair, ASUS has reached out to me and admitted to their substandard RMA-Support, and agreed to swap out for a new-in-box card of comparable performance and aesthetics.

I can't be a mindless consumer, the way I am perceiving you as, 3-4 RMAs in a row with multiple people is just not a good business practice. They should re-evaluate their RMA centers if we don't speak out against it, who will?

That said, Asus has been in contact with me, admitted they were wrong with how they handle RMAs, and made arrangements that I found agreeable. I will conceade that my original statement "they don't honor warranties" is no longer valid, as they have been in contact and very apologetic due to their practices.

I thank Asus for keeping in touch, but wish that they would revamp their RMA services and run their business like I do mine. When a customer calls in with a defective item, by all means replace it with a refurbished item, but if that Item fails the user, do the honorable thing and replace it with a brand new-in-box item.

You aren't actually paying attention to what I said. I said cards returned that had no defects. There is very little chance of them being more defective than a brand new card, because they are brand new cards being returned. It is essentially an open-box item. Refurbished cards can also be better than brand new cards if the support structure is set up properly. When I would deal with EVGA, they eventually got to a system where they were doing more QA on returned cards and fixing issues and then running them through rigorous tests before sending them out as replacements. They also would test new cards in the box before sending them out as replacements. The problem here is that ASUS does not seem to have a system like that in place. Which is what I have been stating repeatedly but you gloss over.

I don't understand how they get away with it and people keep promoting their products when we know they rip people off. Horrible Horrible company.

Something to consider is, here in the UK we have a 1 year return to shop guarantee on basically everything. Something goes bad, return it to the shop, it's their problem now.

I can't imagine not buying the hardware of choice due to what might happen if it goes bad.

Something to consider is, here in the UK we have a 1 year return to shop guarantee on basically everything. Something goes bad, return it to the shop, it's their problem now.

I can't imagine not buying the hardware of choice due to what might happen if it goes bad.

What happens when it goes bad after 1 year when the manufacturer's warranty is longer? Do you just throw it in the trash if it is an ASUS product or does ASUS only treat their customers like trash in the USA?

Here in the states most online shops it's 30 days. Some places that's 30 days for refund or exchange other places it's just exchange only. Also depends on the product. Many B&M stores provide 30 days for return or exchange and again it depends on the product type if its both or just a replacement. I think Microcenter is the only oddball in the mix. I've heard people rave about them but that may just be their extended warranty they provide. Which like so many extended warranties starts at time of purchase and not after the manufacture warranty. These are always details hidden in the fine print and most people don't read it.

Still loved shipping my AM2+ motherboard for RMA, and then it being returned to me with no indications of an attempt to fix. It looked like they just slapped a new shipping label on the box I sent and didn't even open it.

I've had asus video cards and mobos flake out and then got treated like I was stupid by ASUS. Moved to MSI cards and mobos and used them for builds for people. Had to deal with MSI a couple times and was almost perfect and everything was smooth. I didn't have to speak to scumbags and get lied to and waste time and money because a company has illegal practices. Asus trains their employees to bullshit customers on returns and service and make them EAT IT anyway they can. I don't feel like anyone would miss anything by not using Asus except for the bad experience if you have to deal with them for warranty.

I've had asus video cards and mobos flake out and then got treated like I was stupid by ASUS. Moved to MSI cards and mobos and used them for builds for people. Had to deal with MSI a couple times and was almost perfect and everything was smooth. I didn't have to speak to scumbags and get lied to and waste time and money because a company has illegal practices. Asus trains their employees to bullshit customers on returns and service and make them EAT IT anyway they can. I don't feel like anyone would miss anything by not using Asus except for the bad experience if you have to deal with them for warranty.

The thing aboud USA ASUS RMA support is that they are not even ASUS employees. The scumbag company that ASUS allows to handle the USA RMAs is just some 3rd party pile of @#%#$%#^ that needs to be sued out of existence. I actually would love to see the FTC take them down.

This is sad. I had a defective Rampage IV Extreme MB in 2014 that Asus quickly RMA'd me a new one (after I paid a deposit to have them ship first). I still have the new board running in my spare system, working 100%. I've stuck with Asus on many different parts over the years, and if their RMA process has gotten worse, I may have to switch to someone that hasn't...

My first experiance with Asus customer support..

I had a asus 27" monitor that the bulb died on over a year ago.. I just bought a new monitor as I wasn't in a hurry to deal with them on the rma.

So finally I forced myself to reach out to them about it with days left on the 3 year warranty.

It was a chat window and it had to of been atleast 40 mins easy! Really nuts! It was like the guy was busy doing something else and would ask a question every 15 mins or so.

I was close to start complaining after 30 mins but he finally asked for my info and issued the the rma and sent me the free ups FedEx shipping label.

So I sent it in and after 2 week maybe here a box was dropped off at my door and it was a brand new monitor!

I had no idea it was new till I opened it up 2 days later.

It's a Asus PG279Q 27" 165hz G-sync monitor worth like $700 now.

Prob gona sell it as I dont have a use for it with my 1440 ultra wide 120hz monitor I've owned the past year.

So much for all those horror stories I've read over the years with Asus!

Hmmm... I've never encountered issues with their RMA process in the past. I turned away from them as their products I've purchased for myself and friends/family began to have issues and their support was garbage. It seems they've become too big and too diversified for their own good. I turned to Gigabyte but had a horrible RMA experience with them. It took nearly two weeks for them to respond to a support ticket. Then they made up for it by offering a cross-ship RMA. That however, required a credit check instead of just the typical take my credit card info just in case that most vendors do. The new board fixed the issue but then I received a response that the old board was defect free and they could not recreate my no POST issue. I don't buy that for a second, I tried everything short of a new CPU. I've been considering MSI for my next build, anyone have something to share about them? I had a really bad experience with a friend's MSI board once. That was almost 20 years ago, it seems like they've got their crap together now...
MSI have been good to me recently, on multiple occasions. I have had bad RMA experiences with both Assus and Gigabyte, so I haven't bought anything of theirs for over 10 years now. I would buy an MSI board, or a graphics card any day.

I've only had one RMA experience with ASUS and it was back for the Sandy Bridge launch. All launch motherboards from all companies were recalled. I had pre-ordered an ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard through MicroCenter with my i7 2600.

https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/intel-finds-sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-shipments-stopped/

I was out of town and missed the window to submit the RMA paperwork but ASUS customer service still took care of me and got my replacement very quickly.

EDIT: 2600 not 2700. For the pedants out there.

Last edited:
I've only had one RMA experience with ASUS and it was back for the Sandy Bridge launch. All launch motherboards from all companies were recalled. I had pre-ordered an ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard through MicroCenter with my i7 2700.

https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/intel-finds-sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-shipments-stopped/

I was out of town and missed the window to submit the RMA paperwork but ASUS customer service still took care of me and got my replacement very quickly.

I hate to be that guy...but the 2700K didn't launch until Oct 24th. The SB launch was Jan 9th and the B3 mobos started shipping Feb 14th.
Typo maybe?

Asus screwed up my RMA AGAIN....I reached out to them, stand by for an update.

I've only had one RMA experience with ASUS and it was back for the Sandy Bridge launch. All launch motherboards from all companies were recalled. I had pre-ordered an ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard through MicroCenter with my i7 2700.

Seems pretty shitty to even have a “window” on a mass recall.

Rauelius, we appreciate your feedback and glad to hear you're happy with our resolution to this case. We're working diligently to have the replacement sent your way as quickly as possible. If you need any further updates on your RMA, you can reach out to us here via DM or email our Social Media Support team at [email protected]. Please do let us know how things go once you receive your unit. (y)

This is hilarious...I try to reach out to ASUS here on [H], and they closed their profile page, which only had 3 posts....So, the resolution they agreed to on Twitter was to send me a New-In-Box Card as a replacement, only caveat is that I loose 3GB of VRAM, but I don' t mind at this point, I just need a working card with similar performance and aesthetics. Then I get an email telling me they are sending me another, that I can safely assume, refurbished (aka non-working) GTX 1080-Ti as a replacement. If they were able to procure a New-In-Box GTX 1080-Ti Strix, then I have no place to complain, but I doubt it. Yes they offered a New-In-Box RTX 2080 Strix and claimed it an "Upgrade"...I lose 3GB of RAM, but the performance is basically the same, and I just want to be done with this ordeal, considering I offered to downgrade to a New-In-Box Vega 64 after my 2nd RMA(kinda done with nVidia after this experience), I would have been happy with an RTX-2080.

I hate to be that guy...but the 2700K didn't launch until Oct 24th. The SB launch was Jan 9th and the B3 mobos started shipping Feb 14th.
Typo maybe?

But you clearly not enough to make that post to come off as a know-it-all. I'm sure you're a lot of fun at parties.

Obviously I meant the i7 2600k. /rolleyes

But you clearly not enough to make that post to come off as a know-it-all. I'm sure you're a lot of fun at parties.

Obviously I meant the i7 2600k. /rolleyes

I would be the first one drunk and hitting on your old lady.

if-you-dont-look-like-this-by-3am-you-didnt-2340056.png

I've only had one RMA experience with ASUS and it was back for the Sandy Bridge launch. All launch motherboards from all companies were recalled. I had pre-ordered an ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard through MicroCenter with my i7 2600.

EDIT: 2600 not 2700. For the pedants out there.

I wouldn't count that since it was an industry-wide recall and you would be able to warranty it for the next 3 years. However with that said hopefully their return department was much better back then.

My last 2 Nvidia cards I ordered from Nvidia directly (Titan X Pascal, and RTX 2080 Ti). Both had issues and needed to be returned.

Nvidia was able to replace the cards within days, advanced shipping, and sent me a new in sealed box replacement that worked.

Though I guess that's not a good record to receive 2 DOA units, at least the support was on point.

Back